TNG Star Trek The Next Generation.

Discussion in 'Star Trek' started by Alexis, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    No, In the episode The Enterprise were making first contact with the planet. Star Fleet had placed crew there with altered appearance to gather information but the alien race have no knowledge of this. It can only be a continuity error. I cant remember the title now, but it's the one where Bebe Neuwirth plays a comical alien who wants to have sex with Riker at the hospital. lol

• Like Like x 2
  2. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    You know Star Trek is a problem in your life when you are at a funeral and reading the prayer sheet you read "A letter from St Paul to the Romans", as "A letter from St Paul to the Romulans!"

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    Brilliant!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    Yeah, you're right. They must have just forgotten. The only other thing I can think of is when they encounter worlds whose development has paralleled that of Earth in some way but that doesn't seem to apply here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    I was really enjoying season 4 up until the end of the season then it started to feel like a lot of filler until the season finale. I think maybe the last 3 or 4 episodes before the finale were a bit dull and it suddenly felt like the pacing had changed and they were stalling for time. I'm about to start season 5 now.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    The second episode of season 5, Darmok which is about a planet where the aliens speak a language that isn't compatible with universal translator is making me feel a bit sick. Lets just say thank God the translator usually does work. Having the alien just waffle gibberish with the occasional understandable sentence is a bit like a bad trip.

EDIT - Possibly the most annoying episode of Star Trek ever made. It feels like I have been watching it for 14200000 light years.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    You should be meeting Ensign Ro soon Alexis :jolly:

8. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    Oh I have met her and I like her a lot. I don't really remember her but I remember other Bajorans maybe from Voyager or DS9.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    She's a great character and this character is the reason why I took another look at DS9. I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying DS9 this time, the characters, the stories, it's all so bloody wonderful.

How much of DS9 did you watch originally?

10. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    Oh I didn't regularly watch, but I would watch TNG and Voyager and my brother would watch with me and then I would sometimes watch bits of DS9 when he was watching. It's all so long ago now. lol

11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    Going by your history (on Soap Chat) of the shows you enjoy and throwing in TNG just confirms to me that you will enjoy DS9 so much more.

I think back to when I was younger watching, I wasn't totally enamoured by the differences between the various cultures on DS9, I pretty much just focused on the Federation with a dash of Klingon & Vulcon, but now, now my eyes are wide open to whole ST universe and the genius masterstrokes it plays.

DS9 has created whole new history surrounding the Gamma Quadrant and the wormhole that connects it to the Alpha Quadrant. I'm actually excited at the thought of you watching this.

Sure (like TNG) there's a few dud episodes, but the great and even greater episodes totally make up for any loss there.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    Well I am on Season 5 episode 5 now, Disaster so I shouldn't be to long until I cross over to DS9.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    This is a fun episode, with great scenes between Worf & Keiko and I particularly enjoyed Picard with the children.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970

How are you doing Alexis?

I'm completely bowled over by how great DS9 is and remember that chat we had about wishing TNG would have more continuity...? This show definitely has it, it's what I love so much about it. I can't even begin to imagine why I didn't care for it in the 90s.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    Errr.... I don't know. lol I forget when it's supposed to cross over. I have been very busy this week but the last episode I watched of TNG was the one where Spock appears. I have only watched the first part of the two-parter though. I will do the next one tonight. So I'm not even half way through season 5. I've a busy few weeks now up until Christmas so I may be a while. lol I don't think I will get the luxury of back to back episodes for a while. :(

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    I am up to around episode 18 of season 5 now. And I love the episode Power Play where Deanna, O'Brien, and Data were taken over by beings that had escaped from a prison colony on a distant moon. They came aboard the ship and took over the bodies of Deanna, O'Brien and Data and pretended to be the souls of crew from a crashed Star Fleet vessel. They were attempting to get Picard to let them free prisoners from the moon, by tricking him into thinking they wanted to recover their bodies and lay them to rest.

I loved seeing Deanna be a villain, she was great as were Data and O'Brian. Data was very menacing, different from when he plays his evil twin Lore. I liked the tension of the episode too. With them holding the crew hostage. I always like it when Star Trek goes a bit dark. It was like Star Trek does Die Hard only with Ten Forward instead of a Sky Scraper. lol

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    I forgot why I stopped watching last night. Just went to Netflix there and was reminded why... The next episode is a Crusher of an episode. And no, I don't mean Beverly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    My Riker crush has died somewhere along the way and I am now ashamed of my younger self and trying to work out what the f**k was wrong with me. He's so annoying at times and he's such an interplanetary WHORE.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,630
    Tom Paris on TNG only he's not Tom Paris. :eck:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,970
    I loved this part too.
    Isn't he just? I also find Chakotay annoying in Voyager. At first I thought it might be something to do with being the next in control, but I loved Kira in DS9

Yes and not even Tom Paris could save a Wesley story.

• Like Like x 1