Storylines, you wish Dallas did

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    This thread makes you appreciate what good storytellers the people who produced and wrote Dallas were.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Gold Canyon 340

Gold Canyon 340 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +45
    So I know that the Knots and Dallas universes were forever separated after Pam's dream, but here's the storyline I always wish had happened.... Now, people have mentioned the possibility of JR being Digger's son, but I have a different idea... Picture it... Dallas, in the late 80s... Gary visits Miss Ellie with important news: He wants to share with her that she has twin grand babies, after Gary has just learned for sure that Val's twins are indeed his. Gary shows Miss Ellie pictures on the back patio of Southfork... then she gets this look on her face. She has several questions: Have the babies received sufficient medical checkups? Are they healthy? Any problems? Any indications of one neurofibermitosis? Gary asks why... Miss Ellie breaks down and finally admits that Digger was his father. That is the true reason why Gary was always a "different" Ewing... also, that's why Jock never could connect to him... in the back of his mind, Jock always suspected something was off.... Miss Ellie's second pregnancy and Jock's returning from war. He always wondered if Digger was keeping her company while Jock was away.

Imagine the possibilities! JR could threaten to sue for money Gary inherited after Jock died. Imagine Cliff going to Knots Landing to connect to a half brother he never knew he had. What do you all think? I think that if we want to entertain the idea that Digger would father a child by Ellie, it would make MUCH more sense if it were Gary rather than JR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    An interesting idea which I've never thought of. Could explain the often contentious relationship between Miss Ellie and JR and the shocking truth could have exploded onto the screen after Jock's death.

4. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Medals:
    Sometimes I think they were setting things up for digger to be J.R.'s father. Many of you have mentioned specific conversations during the show where they were laying the goundwork.

And imagine this: Ray (who J.R. called a bastard) would be Jock's true son. But J.R. would not be.

The irony. . .

5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,803
    Perhaps the writers/producers danced with the idea but shelved it after the "Who Shot JR?" sent Dallas into the stratosphere. Then of course we lost Jock so again the writers may have felt no need to revisit the idea and thought best to have full blood brothers fighting it out for Ewing Oil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Then they'd both be bastards. I know these days there are women having children out of wedlock more than ever, sometimes even on purpose! Realize, back then that really was a serious situation when a woman had a bastard child. That may be the reason Ray's mother married Amos Krebbs even though he was 4-F and a total loser.

I don't see what the attraction to that kind of a storyline would be. I don't know why people would find that entertaining. It sort of makes a mockery of the Ewing family and I wouldn't want Ellie made out to be a slut. This reminds of an earlier comment regarding the idea of JR being Digger's son which I didn't reply to but I will now:

I agree. Nothing good could come out of that storyline. It's even worse than the fake Jock storyline, At least they never meant for Parmalee to turn out to really be Jock. You can find out more details on this if you have the DVDs of that season. There's a special feature where they explain all about their intentions regarding that storyline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,996
    Medals:
    JR and Sue Ellen should never ever have been parted in the way they were in the final seasons leading up to Linda's departure. The best thing would have been for JR to crack on and notice what a great partner (in and out of bed!) he had with Sue Ellen and not wreck his marriage (and the show) by getting involved with Kimberley. It destroyed the show in my opinion and Dallas was never the same. JR should have had Sue Ellen has his business ally. Jackass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ollie james

Ollie james Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Often wondered what the show might have been like had Bobby stayed dead...we will never know i guess

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I would have liked to have seen them make the custody trial in season 5 a lot more involved and intense. I wanted to see a hard fought court battle between JR and Sue Ellen where they both pull out all the stops and go all out to try to win custody of John Ross.

I'm watching it right now. JR says: I'm gonna get my boy back if I have to tear her little black heart out." I wanted to see Sue Ellen fight back the same way.

JR takes Sue Ellen aside right before the court case and says "Sue Ellen, I'll fight you till you're in the streets with nothing more to your name than the clothes on your back and a little tin cup in your hand."

Sue Ellen: You wouldn't do that

J.R.: Wouldn't I? You know me better than that. You're not gonna win, honey and even if you do, I have the time and the money and the power to keep you tied up in litigation forever...I'm prepared to fight you till hell freezes over if that's what it takes to get my boy back."

J.R. didn't follow through on that but I wish he had because an all out battle in court between JR and Sue Ellen where each uses everything possible to win would have been great to watch. I wanted to see each try to drag the other through the Texas mud from one side of the state to the other.

Apparently J.R. didn't follow through because Miss Ellie had threatened him. She said that if he did that she'd make sure that he got voted out of power in Ewing Oil and replaced by Bobby.

That's overstepping her place to try to keep him from making the best legal case possible to get his son back. I can't picture her taking kindly to anyone telling her what she can and can't say in court if she were in a similar situation. I picture her saying something along the lines of "What I do to ensure I get my son back is none of your business."

Even if she had followed through on her threat, that arrangement they had at the time was only to be used while Jock was on his business trip. Those stipulations would all become nullified as soon as he returned, or as it turned out, until Jock's will was read. I guess they just didn't want to take the story in that direction but I think it would have been very interesting and entertaining to watch that type of a court battle. It's something we never got to see between JR and Sue Ellen despite all the animosity between them and despite how strongly each felt about John Ross. Don't you think it would have made for some compelling TV?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    Would have also made her more interesting, possibly wealthy and powerful as well - think the mother of a Ottoman sultan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    Never thought of it. I’d add they have a baby girl, Eleanore Rebeca, with a tragedy that doesn’t allow her to have more children.

I’d also add some tension with Sue Ellen. She marries Jeremy Wendell in a business deal giving her control of West Star. She uses Clayton, Bobby and Cliff to fight JR. She tries to put Bobby with Pam while JR tries to put him with Jenna. She teams up with Donna and Ray. Leaving Miss Ellie JR and Katherine’s only ally, albeit reluctant. There’d be a love between JR and Sue Ellen, though it would be more a rivilary to see who can outgun the other, verses a love and almost twisted romance with Katherine.

I’d also reveal a hidden family (per H.L. Hunt) of JRs. Stressing out his marriage with Rebecca and providing another son, but she’ll stand by her man. She’ll scare off any woman setting her eyes on JR. Maybe even find out Bobby ran with JR not being Christopher’s father, when he knew in fact JR was - and she goes after custody for JR and her self, to get a son to compete with Sue Ellen’s son.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    Interesting - tell me more. Would they marry? What would happen?

13. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    I thought the same familiarity. Which makes me think:

I’d have connected the show to Falcon Crest so the two were in the same universe, thus all 3 Lorimar soaps connected (maybe even a connection between FC & KL). This could have been something small, a few walk on from key characters and the use of guess stars showing up on both.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    Maybe Jock knew or guessed as Gary was only 7 months after he returned and didn’t seem premature. Certainly not uncommon for either husband and wife to seek comfort during such s time. And in this case both strayed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    Would have weaker JR and that’s the last thing they wanted - in fact when they did it killed the show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    But I would have needed to see years of her on her feet as his evemy in oil deals - maybe married to Wendell in more a business deal. Maybe propping up Cliff and working with Bobby - learning oil in business in a class of Titian’s where JR learns how much he’s haunted by her. Then come to the realization that she married him because he was Jock Ewing, Jr and he married her because she was the most beautiful and cultured woman in Texas - but they fell in love with each other. How do they overcome the cutthroat competition they’ve fostered, as well as others in their lives.

17. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    I certainly would have used this as the explanation for the re-casting of Southfork after the 1978 miniseries. Even if you didn't see it. I always picture that opening scene of the 1978/79 season around the pool with family --- only with workers walking around the roof partially covered in plastic and some fleeting reference between Jock and Miss Ellie over backgammon about the recent tornado and its damage to the house.

Pretty much, yes. Although I'm not sure that Miss Ellie was "overstepping her place". But JR's turning belly-up during the custody hearing certainly felt forced and contrived.

Sometimes I think it could have remedied with something as simple as the camera dollying in on Miss Ellie and JR ominously as they stare at each other in the courtroom, to emphasize that he really does take her threat seriously. But, as we all know, Katzman hated a moving camera.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  18. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +193
    There were possibilities. I have said that JR and Sue Ellen having a daughter after John Ross might have been good. I felt that remarrying Ellie was a mistake and that they should have had her be like Victoria Barkley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,494
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Yeah, get the gunshot out of the closet, Ray, and keep it here!!! Love that!!

• Agree Agree x 1