Succession

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Carrie Fairchild, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I caught HBO's new soapy drama set in the world of a filthy rich media mogul and I liked it. It's giving me Dirty Sexy Money meets Billions vibes (although admittedly, I didn't stick with Billions). Written by Peep Show creator Jesse Armstrong, it follows the story of an 80 year old Murdoch-esque tycoon in the lead up to him handing over the reins of the media empire to one of his children. Kieran Culkin was the scene stealing standout of the pilot for me but it's quite a good cast so there's a lot to like and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

de4ee0b3824cb503fe0b740c17b38de4.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,422
    That sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,422
    Saw the 1st episode. It was ok. A bit too many Fs and other overused attitude language. Plus the father was seriously annoying. 2 loser brothers that are hard to take seriously. But at least 6 potentially interesting characters:

Kendall Roy - the one I believe we are meant to root for, right? At least I do. Blindsided by daddy's new agenda. Not the oldest kid, but the only one showing interest in taking over. Understandably outraged for being cast aside.

Kendall's estranged wife - seemed strong and independant. Potential.

Greg the cousin - the comic relief character. The "Jonah from Veep" character.

Mercy Roy - daddy's third wife. Has potential as the strong-willed step-mom.

Siobhan Roy - politically involved, daddy's only daughter, may be drawn into the family business, or forced

Tom - Siobhan's suck-up husband with an agenda to be respected

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    It's been renewed for a second season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    I just caught up with the pilot and really enjoyed it. Straight up, good, old-fashioned soapy drama. Glad to hear it's already been renewed. I see a lot of potential. I particularly enjoyed that long family lunch scene/confrontation and Kendall's freakout in the bathroom, after which he cleaned up LOL

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Episode two was great. I loved how we saw all the different facets of the sibling relationships as they were stuck in each others company at the hospital. It was also great to see the realistic absurdity of how much big business impinges on the life of of a mogul and their family, even when they're at death's door. Also, this week we had a mention of that old soap stalwart - the troublesome ex-wife - who was described as "a maniac but not a monster". I look forward to her inevitable arrival.

Also, can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me the name of the actress who played Gerry? She looks super familiar but her character isn't listed on IMDB. She was the blonde member of the board who was setting up the "war room" in the hospital and who Roman had a memorable exchange with about her deceased husband.

7. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    @Carrie Fairchild, if it´s the woman in the pic below, her name is J. Smith-Cameron. She´s been in such things like "Divorce", "Search Party", and "Rectify" (more here). Oh and don´t thank me: my bill is on your mail! ;)

upload_2018-6-16_22-31-31.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Thanks Toni! I realise now that I recognise her as the Hillary Clinton-esque politician in the second season of Search Party.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1