1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Sue Ellen’s Movie

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Herofan, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I just finished the season where Sue Ellen threatens JR with the release of her movie to embarrass him. As I mentioned before, I haven’t watched the last few seasons since they originally aired. Honestly, I don’t even recall that incident. I’ve read about it, but could never remember it.

With times changing, were Dallas writers trying to tone down the season “cliffhanger?” I must say, having been accustomed to the cliffhanger, that was the lamest season ending by far. There was no tension or anything to see how it turned out, at least not for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    It was the absolute worst end of season cliffhanger Dallas did!

What they should've done, was have the actor who played Nicholas Pierce's Father pop up in the back of JR's car & order him to drive or he'll blow JR's brains out! End the season on JR's scared face with a gun being held to it! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,801
    Medals:
    No tension??? You should have been in my house when it aired!!! :cry:

You're actually the second person to say this to me today. I do disagree that it was the lamest cliffhanger. Sue Ellen was going out on a high and she deserved that. The ending could have been more - but how do you give credence to or honour the biggest female star's exit??? It wasn't so much a cliffhanger, as her swansong. :sad:

What I struggled with, was....I wish she hadn't done it. If she had to go, I would have liked to have seen her go without Don, have the strength to go on her own, and without bitterness towards JR. If JR deserved any kind of karma, it was realising (I think he did) but showing us that he really regretted his actions towards her and he realised just what he had lost. :bye:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +923
    Cliffhanger first....not the lamest one in my opinion, for me that goes to Season 4 (5 DVD) with Cliff's life in the balance - it just felt dull to me (and still does to be fair).

I agree with @Sarah it was Linda's farewell and after all she had been through with J.R she had finally won and was walking away on her own terms.

The only problem with the whole J.R movie storyline was that they really cheapened the actual show by showing the sets with all the cameras around, thereby breaking the 4th wall. After showing the sets of Southfork, it always felt cheapened after that for me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I’ll have to agree that the Cliff being in the hospital was dull too. I guess that’s number 2 lamest for me.

Everyone has made some good points about Sue Ellen’s exit and movie not being lame, but I guess it just seemed oddly dull for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +923
    I remember watching the season on broadcast way back when and loved the build up of the film being planned, but the actual pay off was badly handled in my opinion. It could have been one final - huge slanging match and all we got was "Burn it Sue Ellen" - so for the character of Sue Ellen and her exit, it worked, but for drama it wasn't a high point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +701
    I'm with you, @Herofan - there was no oh-my-f*cking-god tension like the earlier seasons or the kind television produce these days. I watched years after the episode after it had aired, so I already knew it was Linda's last episode - if the audience at the time did, too, it probably would have been a real bore.

However, like @pete lashmar said, it was a nice farewell to Sue Ellen (Linda). If the writers had produced a lame 'freak plane accident' for dramatic effect (sorry, Pam) when they knew Linda didn't have the intention to return, I would have been pissed off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Barbara Belle Of The Ball

Barbara Belle Of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,949
    Medals:
    It was the lamest of the Cliff hangers to date and true sign of how much the show had changed and not for the better. People didnt spend the summer debating if it would be released or not unlike 1980-87 especially with the shooting of JR, Bobby being shot, Bobby mown down and Bobby in the shower. They kept the press speculating all suummer and were exciting times.

I really didnt care about the movie cliff hanger but JR in sanatarium and Nicholas shot were equally lame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    Medals:
    I would have been okay with the plotline had it been done with a different tone.

10. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,801
    Medals:
    In what way? :)

11. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,304
    Medals:
    Played more straight and not as shlocky.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +352
    The closing shot (JR alone in a cavernous cinema) was both poignant and a fitting metaphor of what Dallas had become by then: lost, diminished and surrounded by the empty chairs of once avid viewers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland

Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    I’m still waiting for the $&@$ thing to show up on Netflix! Get it together, Lockwood, you dummy!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,307
    Medals:
    It's so dumb. Movies and such age very fast and this was Sue Ellen's hold on JR?

It's so so so dumb. Very dumb. Dumb dumb dumbdidumbdumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,307
    Medals:
    Uhm...

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Piggy It's Kermit Outside

Piggy It's Kermit Outside Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,173
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    :gp::bravo:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I thought the same thing. After it sat on the shelf a while, who would care? Actually, who would care that much had she released it then?

18. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Would JR be that worried that she even would release it? Would Sue Ellen want to
    humiliate John Ross, which such a movie would do? Not to mention Miss Ellie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I think it would have been cool if Wendell escaped from prison, had his henchmen hijack a big TV station, and threaten to broadcast the movie unless the Ewings turned over all of Southfork and the mineral rights.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,935
    Medals:
    Two points: was the cliffhanger lame and was it a fitting sending off for Sue Ellen? I'd say an emphatic no to both.

The cliffhanger was lame beyond belief. Dallas was always known for the jaw dropping end of season cliffhanger than made you eager for the next season to start but this was just dull. Like JR was going to become a saint because he was fearful of Sue Ellen publishing a biopic film. Valene had already published Capricorn Crude and JR survived that so I doubt whether the film would have overly concerned him. Also, why did she go to the trouble and expense of making the film? She could have just threatened to do a TV interview to get all dirt out in public. It just presented her as being a lousy business person who made decisions based on emotions rather than sound business principles.

I don't agree it was a great send off for Sue Ellen, she deserved to go on something more compelling and I thought this made her look submissive to JR. She left giving JR the upper hand, showing she was still under his coercive control. Had she published the film she would have been showing herself to be strong enough to take decisions rather than effectively handing the choice of whether the film would be released to JR.

This is what I would have done. Sue Ellen shows the film to JR and threatens him with it, as before. JR says something like "You think you can get one over old JR" at which point Don Lockwood comes in with the film and asks JR if he wants it destroyed. It's subsequently revealed that Don was working for JR all along. Sue Ellen in her anger, takes out a gun, and shoots, we hear a body fall to the floor and she runs away in a panic. The action then cuts to that scene where Ellie opens the card from Mallory containing the mystery key before it cuts back to the screening room where we see the paramedics zipping up a body bag and putting the corpse in the ambulance, the frame freezes and we have a proper end of season cliffhanger. In the next season it's revealed that Don tried to take the gun from Sue Ellenand was shot by mistake and it was his body we saw being taken away.

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1