Dallas Couples Sue Ellen and JR's break-ups and make-ups

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kristin Kringle Channing, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Kristin Kringle Channing

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,372
    I often hear members on here talk about how unrealistic it was that JR and Sue Ellen would keep returning to a relationship that was so toxic. But is it all that unrealistic? I see it happen all the time. One or both halves of a couple know that the relationship or their partner is bad for them, but they just can't stay away. It's the age old head vs. the heart, and what the heart wants can defy all logic and no amount of good advice or traumatic experiences can sway it off it's course.

When there's passion, chemistry and electricity, sometimes it just won't let go of you no matter how hard you try, or how many times you tell yourself this is crazy or this is never gonna work. I think sometimes you're set on a course with someone and, try as you might, until that experience or lesson is truly done with you, there's no getting away. People can be addicted to people, and God knows both JR and Sue Ellen had addictive personalities, be it power, status or alcohol.

So I don't think their trajectory was all that far fetched at all. People stay in, and go back to, way more abusive relationships all the time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,961
    You've nailed it 'passion, electricity, chemistry'.

They're my favourite couple of all time and I could get very involved here but they had chemistry like no other couple I've ever seen on tv - then or since. It does happen all the time and they did love each other, it's been said by both actors, many times. Not saying it's healthy, but was any relationship on Dallas? They are magical together - and without them together, Dallas was never the same and ended soon afterwards. I can't remember if it was a producer or David Jacobs, but when Linda left the show they said, 'Without Sue Ellen, JR was much less'. And when JR went downhill, Dallas was never the same.

You can't beat these two, pure tv gold, pure dynamite to watch - sparks together, or apart. Unbeatable. Love them. And thanks with all my heart to Larry and Linda for creating them. My lifelong heroes.

Thanks for the thread. :kiss:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,771
    I agree with you both. I think there are a lot of real life couple like that who can't live with or without each other. A real life celebrity couple that comes to mind for me is Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton. Maybe because they too got married twice to each other and had a booze problem...

Anyway as for JR/SE I agree that they were magic together. Sure they had their ups and downs like any relationship and I guess it was because when it was good it was so great that they had trouble to let each other go despite all the misery they put each other through.

Moreover I think Sue Ellen was JR's confidant, she was the only one who shared some of his secrets and she knew him better than anyone else. So although they did have passion, chemistry and electricity it wasn't all a physical thing either as they were truly emotionally invested in each other too. Sue Ellen was also really loyal and stood by JR even when he did nasty things to other people. She was very supportive and I think he needed that. So yeah their relationship was definitely one of the many things that were so great about Dallas and which helped making the show into the success it was.

I could remember it wrong, but I think it was Larry who said it. :think:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Goldie

Goldie Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That pretty much says it all, Sarah. <3 No matter what the total dysfunction of scripts dictated, it all came down to putting Linda and Larry together and letting the camera capture their chemistry. It worked in 1978 mini series all the way through to the TNT reboot. And that quote -- "Without Sue Ellen, J.R. was much less" -- was from producer Howard Lakin in the "E! True Hollywood Story" documentary. Loved hearing him say that then and now.
    :bl2:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,961
    Yeah if Larry had said it I’d remember - Sounds right about Howard Lakin!

• Like Like x 2