Sue Ellen's Scene With Jeremy Wendell

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by ramled99, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ramled99

ramled99 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Question, in the scene where Sue Ellen rejects Wendell's necklace and offer to formally date, was Sue Ellen too harsh? As much as I understand Jeremy was a clear villan, I found Sue Ellen to be too brutal? What did you all think of that scene?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,043
    I can't believe that Sue Ellen would ever have considered dating Wendell, even for the sake of getting back at JR. She undoubtedly found him repulsive.

So I think her response to him was, if anything, somewhat on the mild side.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,608
    Brutal, but funny.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    She must have been afraid of being the bride in this...

Anyway, I consider that scene as Swellin´s Swan Song on "Dallas", along with the balloon final scene in "Wedding Bell Blues" (I went under hypnosis to forget the whole Don Lockwood débàcle! ...It didn´t work!). She needed that sarcasm and verbal fire to get rid of all the resentment of her J.R. years. Instead, the Katzmen undid all the good things she had done in the two previous years (mainly, creating and expanding Valentine Lingerie, and becoming a person of her own), and turned her into a revenge machine. Besides, the way she looked that last season, it seemed that Katzman also bribed the makeup and hair persons to make her look her worst and almost a double of Morticia Adams.

Even so, the writers had the decency to show a similar scene with Carter McKay (where she sort of rejected him as a possible date but not as good company once in awhile) where she showed a more human side. Ironicly enough, it took a character like Cally to redeem the "wicked witch of Texas" she had become by giving her advice in her relationship with J.R. Of course, those advices were sorely missed the next season, when Cally REALLY needed them, instead of Lucy´s bitchy remarks or the company of Liz Taylor´s son.

I wish Linda had stayed one more season, or at least had guest-starred some time, as CBS announced at the beginning of that 12th Season. Also, that Swellin-Skeletor scene did prove that the Jeremy wasn´t as asexual as he seemed to be...or maybe he wanted her as his cover-up so he could set up only-men pool parties with Dave Stratton and Wilson Cryder...?

upload_2018-3-8_17-31-33.jpeg

Where is The Jeremy...?​

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    I love that scene. Yes she was harsh but at that time in her life, she'd just had enough crap and I think it was all starting to come out. Jeremy had never been nice to the Ewings so it's hard to feel any empathy for him, but I get where you're coming from. The comparisons to JR and the Carnival Geek must have been hard to hear. :ms:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    I didn't really like that scene because it didn't seem faithful to who Jeremy Wendell was in the earlier seasons. It made him look weak, not in control and interested in something other than business.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,942
    And, realistically, wouldn't Sue Ellen have gone where the money was (i.e., Clayton, Jeremy)? I mean, a girl has to think about her future.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,470
    And he was just so creepy and lame with the whole "as a token of my affection" thing. Seriously, who talks like that!? Lol!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robin

Robin Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    She was definitely harsh but it was well-deserved on his part. He was a minor character but in comparison to JR, I think Jeremy wins in the total sociopath department.

• Agree Agree x 1