SoapChat Standards "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    Here's the Upside Down view

Four of us voted on seventeen versions by fourteen unique artists. Here are the tracks that have charm and appeal* for SoapChatters.

[​IMG]

1. Diana Ross - 38
    2. Cut ‘N’ Move - 24
    3. Diana Ross [Almighty Mix] - 15
    4. Camilla [Il Mio Fuoco] / Marie Rottrová [Vytahuj se radši míň] - 12
    5. Collette - 11
    6. Eva Smart / Pamela Britte - 10
    7. Diana Ross & Jamiroquai / Liz Menezes - 9
    8. Dusty Springfield & Tom Jones / Obsession / Salt ‘N’ Pepa - 8
    9. Diana Ross [Satoshi Tomiie & David Morales Mix] / Siggi Schwarz & The Electricguitar Legends - 6
    10. Carol Cool / Michael Prophet - 5

Unsurprisingly, Diana's original is The Boss of this round. But a nice variety of versions are represented here, so it's another cracking round.

I'll be along with another Standard over the weekend...

* Misheard lyrics confession: Until a few years ago, I always thought Diana was singing "I know you got your man appeal." I still have to correct myself when singing along sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo! I always thought it was that too so I just did a Google search on the lyrics and now realise I've been wrong for over 30 years!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    So funny that we both interpreted the lyrics the same way.

Maybe there are more of us. We could start a Man Appeal society.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    Our next Standard...
    Let It Be Me/Je t'appartiens

[​IMG]

Suggested by @Emelee, "Let It Be Me" is a popular song originally published in French in 1955 as "Je t'appartiens". The score was written and first recorded by Gilbert Bécaud. The lyrics were penned in French by Pierre Delanoë.

In 1957, an English language version - with lyrics by Manny Curtis - was performed by Jill Corey in the television series Climax! Corey's version, with orchestration by Jimmy Carroll, was released as a single and was moderately successful.

The Everly Brothers helped to further popularise the song with their 1960 rendition which reached #7 on the Billboard Hot 100. The harmony arrangement of this version was often emulated in subsequent remakes. This was the first Everly Brothers single to be recorded in New York, and not in Nashville. The musicians that backed up the brothers on the record included Howard Collins, Barry Galbraith and Mundell Lowe on guitar, Lloyd Trotman on bass, Jerry Allison on drums and Hank Rowland on piano.

The song enjoyed its most success in 1964 when Betty Everett and Jerry Butler released their wistful version of the popular song. Their soulful duet was a bona fide hit which peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

The song has been recorded many times. Well known versions include: Andy Williams (1960); The Lettermen (1961); Brenda Lee (1965); Sonny & Cher (1965); Nancy Sinatra (1966); Glen Campbell and Bobbie Gentry (1969); Connie Smith & Nat Stuckey (1969); Leonard Nimoy (1970); Bob Dylan (1970); Roberta Flack (1970); Donnie & Marie Osmond (1974); Nina Simone (1974); Demis Roussos (1974); Melanie (1978); Willie Nelson (1982); David Hasselhoff (1985); Julio Iglesias (1994); Bobby Caldwell (1995); Kenny Rogers (1999); Olivia Newton-John & Cliff Richard (2002); Kate Ceberano (2004); Frankie Valli (2007); Rod Stewart & Jennifer Hudson (2009); Neil Diamond (2010); Michael Ball & The Overtones (2014).

Over two hundred and seventy versions may be found here. Explore, enjoy and enter your favourites below.

Please list up to ten versions with a minimum of three choices. We'll bring voting to a close next Wednesday night.

[​IMG]

5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    1. Rod Stewart & Jennifer Hudson
    2. Kenny Rogers
    3. The Everly Brothers
    4. Demis Roussos
    5. Collin Raye
    6. Nancy Sinatra
    7. Don Cherry
    8. Johnny Mathis & Alison Krauss
    9. Willie Nelson
    10. Skeeter Davis & Bobby Bare

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    Time's up on this round. Let's find out which songs we bless the day we found...

Three of us voted, coming up with twenty seven unique versions. That averages out at an impressive nine unique choices per voter.

It also means a low scoring round, which makes the competition that much fiercer. All but three versions battled it out at under ten points. But we have a clear winner.

Here's how we voted...

[​IMG]

1. Marie-Ève Janvier & Jean-François Breau - 19
    2. Nancy Sinatra - 15
    3. Rod Stewart & Jennifer Hudson - 14
    4. The Anita Kerr Singers / Kenny Rogers - 9
    5. Chet Atkins / The Everly Brothers / George Harrison - 8
    6. Brenda Lee / Demis Roussos / Nina Simone - 7
    7. Bette Midler & Wynonna Judd / Collin Raye / Julio Iglesias & Art Garfunkel - 6
    8. Dionne Warwick / Salvatore Adamo - 5
    9. Don Cherry / Elvis Presley - 4
    10. Johnny Mathis & Alison Krauss / The Lettermen / Milos Karadeglic & Gregory Porter - 3
    11. Floyd Cramer / Gilbert Becaud / Willie Nelson - 2
    12. Bob Dylan / Jerry Butler & Betty Everett / Skeeter Davis & Bobby Bare - 1

So Marie-Ève and Jean-François's beautiful 2009 version of Je t'appartiens is our favourite, which means the covers have finally taken it back after four rounds. ​

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    The next round will be with us in a few days' time.

10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    Next up...
    I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself

[​IMG]

"I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" is a song written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. The first released version came in May 1962 by Tommy Hunt, but this did not chart. The song served as the title track for Hunt's sole album release on Scepter released in April 1963. Hunt's version was re-released in the summer of 1964, where it peaked at #119 on the Billboard charts.

It would appear however that the first version of this song to be recorded was not by Hunt but by Chuck Jackson - also in 1962. Jackson's version was shelved and remained unreleased until it appeared on a 1984 compilation. According to the sleeve notes of that album, Tommy Hunt's vocals were substituted for Jackson's whilst the original backing track was retained.

Dusty Springfield recorded her 1964 version in a session at Olympic Studios in Westminster. Springfield had brought back "I Just Don't Know..." from an overnight trip to New York City where she met up with Bacharach in February 1964.The third UK single release of Springfield's solo career "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" was Springfield's first UK single release to display her signature vocal style. Rising to #3 in the summer of 1964 the track remained Springfield's highest charting UK hit until 1966 when "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" hit #1. This would remain Springfield's only UK solo hit to chart higher than "I Just Don't Know...".

Springfield's version received a belated US release in October 1965. Springfield made a promotional junket to the US but the song failed to chart in the Billboard Hot 100.

Dionne Warwick recorded "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" at Bell Sound Studios in August 1966 with Burt Bacharach producing. Released that September, the song was a moderate success reaching #26 on the US Hot 100 and #20 on US Hot R&B with its strongest evident regional success in Detroit going Top Ten there.

Marcia Hines recorded a version of the track and released it as the lead single from her second studio album, Shining (1976). The B-Side was "Trilogy" which had appeared on her debut album. Hines's version reached #10 in the Australian Kent Music Report chart.

In 2003, American alternative rock band The White Stripes recorded "I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself" . The black-and-white music video, directed by Sofia Coppola, featured Kate Moss pole dancing in a black bra and underwear.

Other recorded versions include those by Michèle Vendôme and Claude Carrère ("Oui, il faut croire", 1964); Patty Pravo ("Se mi vuoi bene", 1968); Gary Puckett (1970); Isaac Hayes (1970); The Dells (1972); Elvis Costello & The Attractions (1978); Demis Roussos (1978); The Photos feat. Wendy Wu (1980); The Stylistics (1991); Linda Ronstadt (1994); Tina Arena (2007); Jimmy Somerville (2009); Ronan Keating (2011); and Melanie C. (2012).

Over sixty versions can be found here. Explore, enjoy and then list your favourites in this thread. Please list up to ten versions with a minimum of three choices.

We'll bring voting to a close next Saturday night after which our favourite version will be revealed.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,420
    1. Dusty Springfield
    2. Gary Puckett & Union Gap
    3. Nicky Holland
    4. Mary Byrne
    5. Rigmor Gustafsson
    6. Tina Arena
    7. Linda Ronstadt
    8. Whistler
    9. Ronan Keating
    10. Melanie C

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,812
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    And now that we're through...

Three of us voted on twenty different artists' renditions of I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself.

Here are the winners:

[​IMG]

1. Dusty Springfield - 26
    2. Tina Arena - 22
    3. Marcia Hines - 17
    4. Nicky Holland - 14
    5. Linda Ronstadt - 11
    6. Gary Puckett & Union Gap / Lloyd Cole - 9
    7. The Bleus - 8
    8. Mary Byrne - 7
    9. Rigmor Gustafsson - 6
    10. Cissy Houston / The White Stripes - 5
    11. Elvis Costello & The Attractions / Sheila - 4
    12. Charlie Green / Whistler - 3
    13. Ronan Keating / Square Set - 2
    14. Dionne Warwick / Melanie C. -1

With the original version nowhere to be found, this is a clear second consecutive win for the covers. Our winner is perhaps unsurprising but very deserving indeed.

It was a very good show for the Brits and the Aussies this round, as our Top Four choices show.

Our next round will be along shortly...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    Next up...
    Sunday Bloody Sunday

[​IMG]

Suggested by @Long Lashes, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is a song first released in 1983 by Irish rock band U2. It is the opening track from their 1983 album War and was released as the album's third single on 21st March 1983 in Germany and the Netherlands.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" grew from a guitar riff and lyric written by the Edge in 1982. Following an argument with his girlfriend, and a period of doubt in his own song-writing abilities, the Edge—"feeling depressed... channelled [his] fear and frustration and self-loathing into a piece of music."

One of U2's most overtly political songs, its lyrics describe the horror felt by an observer of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, mainly focussing on the Bloody Sunday incident in Derry where British troops shot and killed unarmed civil rights protesters and bystanders. The song takes the standpoint of someone horrified by the cycle of violence in the province. During its earliest performances, the song created controversy. Lead singer Bono reasserted the song's anti-sectarian-violence message to his audience for many years.

The song has been covered many times and over fifty versions may be found here. Feel free to and then list your favourites in this thread. Please list up to ten versions with a minimum of three choices.

We'll bring voting to a close on Saturday night and our favourite version will be revealed next Sunday.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    Oh i forgot to make my list for "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" :(

But here's my late top 5. :)

01. Dusty Springfield
    02. Dionne Warwick
    03. Tommy Hunt
    04. Tina Arena
    05. Nicky Holland

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,345
    Not to worry PC. I'll re-tally with your votes included.

Here's how we looked before...

And here's the new result...

1. Dusty Springfield - 36
    2. Tina Arena - 29
    3. Nicky Holland - 20
    4. Marcia Hines - 17
    5. Linda Ronstadt - 11
    6. Dionne Warwick - 10
    7. Gary Puckett & Union Gap / Lloyd Cole - 9
    8. The Bleus / Tommy Hunt - 8
    9. Mary Byrne - 7
    10. Rigmor Gustafsson - 6
    11. Cissy Houston / The White Stripes - 5
    12. Elvis Costello & The Attractions / Sheila - 4
    13. Charlie Green / Whistler - 3
    14. Ronan Keating / Square Set - 2
    15. Melanie C. -1

So Dusty's still in first place, but she's increased her lead significantly. That sneaky Nicky Holland has edged Marcia out of the bronze, while Dionne has moved from last place to sixth in a very impressive move.

And notably the first released version is now represented (but still no sign of the first recorded version). ​

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    Thanks @Mel O'Drama, I'm really glad that Dionne Warwick's version ranks much higher now, and Dusty's still staying at #1. It was a great discovery to hear all those new versions, i still got a feeling i forgot 2 other versions, well next time better. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Long Lashes

Long Lashes Soap Chat Enforcer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,812
    • Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 3)