Ten Things That Are More Selfish, Stupid And Privileged Than Voting Green Party

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Frank Underwood, Aug 10, 2018 at 6:51 AM.

1. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +502
    “Green Party” is trending on Twitter right now, which always means that Democrats are having a meltdown over something that is entirely their own fault. Apparently a few people voted Green in a close congressional election in Ohio with low turnout due to uninteresting and uninspiring candidates, which according to Hollywood celebrities like Alyssa Milano and Kathy Griffin is proof of the Green party’s selfishness, stupidity, hypocrisy, privilege, and, of course, proof of a secret Russian conspiracy.

Never mind the fact that a small number of people have always voted Green when there’s an opportunity to. Never mind the fact that the Green votes didn’t even affect the outcome of the election. Never mind how everyone knows on some level that the Democrats are a novelty joke party which doesn’t even have real primaries and only serves to corral progressives into supporting plutocratic agendas instead of moving America to the left in any meaningful way. The important thing is herpa derpa Jill Stein Susan Sarandon, derp duh.

Well I can think of a few things off the top of my head that are a lot more selfish, stupid, hypocritical and privileged than voting for a Green Party candidate when that seems like the right thing to do. Here are ten of them:

1. Continuing to support an ecocidal, omnicidal two-headed one-party system which has used narrative control and good cop/bad cop schtick to march our species to the brink of extinction via climate chaos or nuclear armageddon. Just so you can feel good about yourself for doing what the TV told you to do.

2. Continuing to support the Democratic Party, which destroyed Libya in a fake “humanitarian” intervention based on lies, indifferently leaving behind a smoldering crater of humanitarian catastrophe where terrorist factions run rampant, rape is everywhere, and humans are sold as property.

3. Continuing to support a political system which is wholly owned and operated by the wealthy, leaving zero effective influence over US policy in the hands of ordinary Americans and immense influence in the hands of the very rich.

4. Continuing to support the Democratic Party, which does everything it can under the pretense of slow, incremental change to hamstring meaningful environmental reform anywhere remotely near the scale necessary to avert a climate catastrophe that would impact the world’s most disadvantaged and impoverished people first and worst.

5. Continuing to support the Democratic Party, which does everything it can to prevent progressive reform and the implementation of the same social safety nets accorded to every citizen of every other major country on earth, first and foremost to the detriment of America’s most disadvantaged groups.

6. Continuing to support a mass media network which consistently deceives the American people into consenting to oppressive neoliberal exploitation at home and bloodthirsty neoconservative warmongering abroad, both of which impact the most impoverished and disadvantaged groups far more than anyone else.

7. Continuing to support the Democratic Party, which has worked in conjunction with the Republican Party to advance dangerous new cold war escalations which have been planned by neoconservatives and secretive government agencies for many years.

8. Continuing to support the Democratic establishment, which, while condemning Trump’s criticisms of the “free press”, actively cheerleads Trump’s agenda to imprison Julian Assange, a move which would set a precedent allowing Trump and his successors to imprison journalists for publishing government leaks.

9. Supporting the party which could very, very easily attack Trump on the basis of his reckless warmongering, suicidal escalations against Russia, and greatly increased civilian casualties in bombing campaigns, but instead attacks him for not being hawkish enough.

10. Supporting the party which, in order to attack Trump, has been rallying to support J Edgar Hoover’s fascist, minority-oppressing FBI and the lying, torturing, propagandizing, drug trafficking, coup-staging, warmongering CIA.

It’s easy to advocate incrementalism when you’re not living hand to mouth. It’s selfish to think that acting on climate change can be rolled out over many decades so as not to upset the corporate donors of your favorite politicians. It’s the height of entitlement to close the door to progressives inside the Democratic Party, and then throw a hissy fit when they vote for another party. It’s hypocritical to hyperventilate about election-rigging Russians while secretly, and then openly, rigging primaries against progressives.

Supporting the continued existence of a fake two-party system which advances exploitative agendas hurts the most vulnerable populations in America and in the entire world. Acting self-righteous because you actively support that system while spitting on the people who are trying to change it is selfish, is stupid, is hypocritical, and is a mark of extreme privilege.

Source: https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/...ivileged-than-voting-green-party-864b55f4d667

2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,628
    I would say it's more selfish and stupid to vote for a party that cuts taxes for the rich and big corporations at the expense of those with less money. Voting for a party that wants to cuts access to health care for those on low incomes so those that earn more can pay less. Using your vote effectively to stop such a party from gaining power doesn't sound that selfish or stupid to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +502
    How can you "stop such a party from gaining power" when both parties are complicit in everything you just described? That's literally what the article is about. The only difference is that the Republicans take these positions to even further extremes. However, Democrats still implemented a healthcare plan that left 29 million people uninsured and many more struggling to afford their premiums. It was originally a right wing healthcare plan, but because the Democrats co-opted it as their own, Republicans proposed an even worse plan.

When the Democrats move towards the right, which they've done on issues such as healthcare, criminal justice, and welfare, it forces Republicans even further right. Like Republicans, the positions held by Democrats often coincide with those of their donors. Why else would Democrats be against single payer, free college, and a living wage? Democrats also helped deregulate the banks , bailed out Wall Street instead of the poor and the middle class, and made the Bush tax cuts permanent. The idea that the Democratic Party is a friend of the poor and the middle class is a myth. Their trade deals send American jobs overseas, and they show an indifference to their concerns. And yet people still shame the voters who've caught on.

Democrats also support unnecessary wars, warrantless surveillance, and strict immigration laws. They're great at condemning foreign election meddling, yet they love to meddle in their primaries. When looked at objectively, it's clear we have two corrupt parties that are right wing to varying degrees. I'd rather spend my energy trying to reform the Democratic Party rather than shaming the voters who reject both parties by voting Green. People get screwed no mater who they vote for because we truly have a two-headed one party system.

Of course, I support voting for Democrats who aren't corrupted by corporate money and support the right positions. I'm not a "blue no matter who" person. Party affiliation is meaningless if you're just going to do the bidding of the corporations and the military industrial complex. I'll continue voting for progressives, whether they're Democrats, Greens, or anything else.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 5:02 PM
  4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,628
    I was trying to provide some balance as your post appeared to be a one-sided attack on the Democrats and said nothing about the selfishness, stupidity and privilege of Republican Party supporters which I think is far worse than that of the Democrats. I wouldn't criticise Green Party supporters for using their votes tactically to vote Democrat in order to stop the worse excesses of the Trump administration. I understand some people will disagree with that but while they advocate voting purity, the Republicans will be allowed to ride roughshod over people's services, people's rights and people's lives. You clearly think the Republicans are as bad as the Democrats but I think they are far worse.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +502
    The article clearly takes aim at both parties, but takes a harder stance on Democrats for pretending to care about the poor. And as far as one sided attacks go, elitist Dems continue to shame voters for not supporting the party rather than the Dem politicians who have made the party so unpalatable. The irony is that they shame people who voted for progressive third party candidates far more than they shame Republican voters. They even blame the Russians, even though third parties have been around and received votes for decades. It's extremely silly, and it does a disservice to people who have been screwed over and left behind by both parties. Dems attack people who hold them accountable, but perhaps you're okay with that.

I literally said Republicans are worse when I said they take these positions to extremes. But it's because the Dems continue moving towards the right that the Republicans have as well. Now you can mock "voting purity," but I'm sure the people left without healthcare or that have died as a result of wars due to bipartisan support have a different view of lesser evilism.

As I said, I'm about policy rather than party affiliation. I'll vote for a candidate from any party, so long as their stance on the issues benefits the majority. For all intents and purposes, a Democrat who isn't for a living wage, supports for-profit healthcare, supports low taxes for the rich, supports war, and supports warrantless surveillance might as well be a Republican.

6. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +502
    I'm fascinated at how people can be presented with all the ways a party is corrupt and exists only to serve the interests of the wealthy and the war machine, yet they still condemn people for not supporting that party because the other side is even worse. It's like telling a victim of abuse to pick the person who is mentally abusive rather than physically abusive because at least that's not as bad. It wouldn't make any sense. Instead, we would tell that person to force their abuser to seek help or choose a significant other who cared about their well being.

I'll never understand why we don't apply that same logic to politics. Instead, we voter shame rather than holding the politicians to reasonable standards.

7. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,628
    When you have a system in which there are only 2 major parties and you have a first past the post voting system, your choice is not between an ideal Democratic Party and the current Democratic Party but a choice between the Democratic Party and Republic Party.

To use your analogy about abuse but changing it to the more awful choice of physical or sexual abuse, whatever your "preference" would be in an ideal world, the sad fact is that you would still end up with one or the other.

If I was left with that awful choice, I would vote for physical abuse because I know using my vote for a utopian third option that had no possible chance of winning, would just make being subjected to sexual abuse a more likely outcome.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Frank Underwood

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +502
    Fair enough. That's obviously the route many voters choose. I see it differently, of course. I can no longer bring myself to cast a vote for a candidate who I am ethically and morally opposed to, regardless of their party or viability as a candidate. They work for us, we don't work for them. I don't expect a utopia, but for an alleged left wing party to be complicit in death, suffering, and poverty is downright disgusting. The article mentions how we have a good cop/bad cop system, and that's just what it is. Whenever Dems are confronted with their own corruption and bad policies, they say "Yeah, but the Republicans are so much worse." Yes, because Dems push them to extremes by moving right themselves! It's a never ending cycle, and many seem content with it continuing indefinitely. Any time people try to defy the two parties or reform them, they are met with extreme vitriol and opposition.

People have a choice. They can continue to choose the type of abuse they receive, or they can let other people choose and vote for the person they want in office. I choose the latter.