1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

That barcode sticker at the top of CDs

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Mel O'Drama, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,099
    The one that seals it shut and wraps about a centimetre onto the front and back.

[​IMG]

I frequently see them on American imports. Most European CDs don't have these on.

How in the name of all that's holy is one supposed to remove this - or even open the flaming case - without:
    • Scratching the jewel case in order to get a hold of the sticker.
    • Leaving a sticky residue over the case that requires some serious surgery with Goo Gone to remove lest it attract all kinds of grub.

What is the point of these effing things when the CD is shrink-wrapped anyway. Ok - it's possible to see the barcode and album title from another angle. But is it worth the trouble it causes the person who pays good money for a new, shiny product?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,465
    So much of the packaging quirks of such things is for security purposes. I wouldn't be surprised if it is some kind of manufacturer's way of letting the consumer know it's been opened (or at least tampered with). It might also be a unique barcode for the importer (if it's made overseas) so they know it's not a bootleg.

Of course so many young people today will never experience the joy of cutting off those hideous, heavy-duty plastic "security" things that manufacturers used to put the CDs in. It took something just short of a chain saw to cut that thing off!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,365
    And how about...what's this funny green colour I can't read what I'm typing....anyway, how about the "register your purchase" that I sometimes see on US dvds? Where, how and WHY should I register my purchase?
    It's nonsense!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,465
    I confess it's been years since I've bought a CD so I'll ask--do they still have that chemical-y smell when you open them? A stench that resembles cleaning fluid?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,099
    No doubt it's Big Brother's way of collecting information about you. Much like store loyalty cards.

I just took a sniff of Faith Hill and yes - there is a chemical aroma.

I find it quite pleasant, but I'm a bit strange like that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,465
    Scent memories are said to be the strongest of the five senses, so that scent will forever be associated with "Ooh, new music! Gotta new CD!!"

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,099
    It's a big part of the reason why physical products are so much more attractive to me than digital. Lots of new items have a certain fragrance associated with the manufacture that helps it feel a bit more special. I think we all know what "new car smell" conjures up.

As a kid, Christmas was made even more special by this overload of new product scent. And Play Doh, of course, but I digress.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,365
    How I hate it! In most cases I replaced the CD/DVD cases.
    Then why not put it on the shrink wrap? Sealed is sealed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,405
    I read once that those were a holdover from having to place CDs in store shelves which were set up for vinyl LPs--kind of an annoying retrofit/security type thing. Most music stores have gone by the wayside now, and stores that do sell music have decreased their shelf space. I still buy plenty of CDs, even though I've run out of room for them. If I just want a song or two, iTunes is my source, but I've also filled my iPod. Oops! LOL. Anyway, as album sales have declined, the plastic barcode material seems to have been cheapened, making it harder to remove than ever. I mainly purchase from Amazon now, so there's less reason than ever before for an extra security measure. :lol:

Sometimes you can use baby oil to remove the residue afterward. But yes, it is very hard to get into a CD without ruining the case in some shape or form. :re:

:03:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,461
    It's been quite some time since I bought a CD since I can really only get the songs I listen to on my phone now, but I know exactly what you mean! I hated opening them so much! But what's even worse than that is trying to get those minuscule-sized Nintendo 3DS and PS Vita game cartridges out of the game cases by pulling them away from those stupid little tabs! I'm always worried about breaking the games by accident!

• Like Like x 1