"That will not happen" - Jane Wyman.

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Jock Og, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,718
    Medals:
    At the start of season 5 consideration was given to Angela having a stroke. Jane Wyman didn't want this. Despite her age Angela appeared to be in good health. However Jane unfortunately had health problems and was absent in season 5 for an episode or two, then again in season 8 and for the bulk of season 9. Understandably it would have weakened the tough as old boots character if Angela had a health scare (coma aside in the final year, inflicted on her by the loathsome Charley St. James). Would you have had the all conquering matriarch in an illness storyline, before the final season?

Angela talks with Pilar about the link between Troilus and Glenbraddoch, 'The Consortium'. Lance joins them in the study, to whisk away his new spouse. Angela's faithful sidekick Chao-Li has the same idea; albeit with a pot of tea, (a scene from season 8, 1988 - '89):

Angela: "Oh Chao-Li she's very pretty but I just can't imagine what he sees in her?"

Chao-Li: "At Lance's age that's enough and at my age too!"

Angela and Chao-Li chat over tea.

Angela: "Really Chao-Li!"

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chloe-Fusco

Chloe-Fusco Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +538
    Medals:
    I don't know if I would have wanted an illness storyline for Angela. Maggie compensated for Angela's lack of them.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,381
    Medals:
    I can understand why Jane didn't want Angela to have a stroke because they would have trivialised the condition. A debilitating stoke can take many months, if not years, to recover from which wouldn't make good TV. Therefore, it would have been inevitable that the writers would have had Angela recover much faster than would have been realistic.

A temporary illness such as a heart attack or pneumonia might have worked, laying Angela low for a while leaving a void at Falcon Crest that Lance would try to fill but would find that Angela's shoes were too big for him to occupy. I think the best way to have taken Angela out for a brief period would have been to have someone shoot her!

• Like Like x 6
  4. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Like Apollonia. She got tired of Angela’s snarkiness and getting her name wrong.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Medals:
    Angela did get shot in season 7, by one of the 13's hit men. You know the time when Richard picked her up in the study, when the shot injured her arm. Instead of faking a heart attack during the Riebmann storyline, she should have had one for real when she was reunited with alive Julia. Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 1