The 12 Seasons of Christmas

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Justine, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Concept: 12 individual snippets of Christmas at Southfork, from season 1-12 (because I haven't watched continuous episodes beyond the point that Linda Gray departed). WARNING: The majority will be J.R. and Sue Ellen, or Bobby and Pam.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +83

Baby, It's Cold Outside
    Season 1 (Pre-Series)

Pamela squirmed underneath the tender touch of Bobby’s hand to her waist. “Bobby, stop.” Her voice was firm, “I really can’t stay.”

Bobby propelled her backward, until she was in his full possession and his lips were seductively positioned behind her ear, “Pamela,” he replied, equally firm but his playfulness doubled. “It’s cold out there. The roads are real icy ‘round here.”

“… which is all the more reason for me to leave now,” she bartered, as she freed herself and flashed him a serious look. “It’s been a wonderful weekend, but daddy will be worried if I’m not home before dark.” The unhappy reality that her father’s addled brain more than likely had little care for her whereabouts was not one Bobby wished to alert Pamela to so early in their newfound relationship.

“One more drink,” he proposed, and clicked the turntable back into play-mode. “You, me and Mr. Dean Martin. What d’you say?”

“The answer is no.” Pamela’s resolve was practically unshakeable, in spite of her favourite Christmas record. “Bobby, turn it down.” She pleaded the order when the volume increased and the seasonal music filled the air. “What if Ray or any one of the ranch hands heard? You’re supposed to be in Austin, remember?” The paranoia overwhelmed her and Pamela peered between the curtains to survey the empty land at the border of Southfork; it was so peaceful, it could have been the ends of the earth. “Besides, I can’t stay. Cliff’s already suspicious about exactly where it is I sneak off to every week.” She frantically searched the heap of bedsheets and clothes, “Where’s my coat?”

“You can’t be out in this weather without a coat, now, can you?”

Pamela noticed his hands hidden behind his back. Her expression was dead-pan, “Maybe you should just lend me yours, if you’re so worried.”

He chuckled heartily, “Then, brother Cliff really would be suspicious.”

“That’s not funny, Bobby,” she warned, as she attempted to reach for the coat that he held in the air and out of her reach. “Give me the coat.” She checked the time on her wristwatch; she would already be home later than she promised her aunt.

What coat?” Bobby played dumb and swiftly outsmarted her unsuccessful retrieval of the coat. “You need a coat, Pamela. You’ll catch your death in this weather.” He threw her coat across the cabin and entrapped Pamela into his compact embrace. “Think of my eternal sorrow, if you were to die before I called you Mrs. Bobby -” Pamela interrupted his sentence, when her hand covered his open mouth. Their eyes locked and Bobby’s speech became muffled, “I love you, Pamela, and, one day, I will make you my wife.” Their relationship had been a whirlwind and they hardly knew one another well, yet Bobby had never met anyone he trusted more. Still, Pamela appeared underwhelmed by the momentous promise. Her lips twisted, in silent response, and Bobby reluctantly returned the coat.

“Would you really marry me… a Barnes?” Bobby earnestly nodded his head and Pamela kissed him, hard. “Looks to me like there’s a storm on the way in. Maybe I should stay here and ride it out with you.” She barely completed her sentence, before Bobby lifted her into his arms and reeled her back onto the bed with him.

:06:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,772
    I am glad to see that you are back to writing. Nice with a Christmas theme. I wish the Ewings would have celebrated that holiday at least once on TV.
    Cute Bobby and Pam scene. They seemed so young in it. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +83

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
    Season 2 (Between 'Fallen Idol' and 'Kidnapped')

In the few hours J.R. had driven into Dallas and schemed another fool out of his well-deserved inheritance, Southfork had been transformed to a winter wonderland. A blanket of snow had settled over the ranch and the annual decorations were up to celebrate the start of years end. Golden bulbs were carefully entwined in the shrubs and trees planted up and down the drive.

Musical vibrations practically shook the walls of Southfork, as J.R. entered his family home and removed his Stetson. He was welcomed by the vision of Lucy halfway up the step-ladder to decorate the ten-foot Christmas tree beside the fireplace. “Welcome home, J.R..”

The cheerful smile Lucy afforded him was in stark contrast to her usual sour mood within their interaction and J.R. was monumentally thrown by her affect but responded with a hearty chuckle. “Well, well, well. You certainly are in the Christmas spirit, aren’t you?”

“I’d say we all are.” Lucy tartly replied. Her eyes mischievously directed his attention to the other side of the room, where Sue Ellen delicately sipped from her freshened drink and portrayed her best effort to read the blurred lines on the book in her hand. The corner of J.R.’s mouth instantly drooped and Pamela playfully slapped Lucy’s behind for her intentionally insensitive remark. J.R.’s elevated mood had visibly plummeted at the vision of his wife in a haze. “What?” Lucy played dumb for her newest aunt and newfound confidante.

“Here, Lucy,” Miss Ellie breezed over the moment and passed the blonde teen a silver-painted bauble. “Put this one on there. Your mama painted the reindeer on it.” Lucy rolled her eyes and stifled the bitterness she didn’t usually bother to suppress. “She and I created a lot of these decorations the Christmas before you were born.” Pamela held the step-ladder firm, for Lucy to reach the bare branches at the top.

“Sue Ellen,” J.R. left the other three women to the tree decoration and approached his wife with caution. “How’s your day, darlin’?”

She swirled the seductive liquid round and round. “Just fine.”

“You feelin’ okay?” He double-checked, another question fired point-blank with speed. “No more mornin’ sickness?”

“I said I’m fine, J.R.,” Sue Ellen’s reply indicated a loss of patience. His sudden peaked interest in her simply because he suspected another man had fathered her unborn child riled her more than she could articulate. Still, it satisfied her that J.R. played the jealous party in their relationship, for once. “Excuse me?” She rose from the chair and departed the room with the blatant intent to escape any further examination.

Before he could traipse behind in her wake, Jock and Bobby appeared. “Good God woman.” Jock’s voice boomed, as he plucked a Holly leaf from the wreath Miss Ellie had positioned on the front door of their home. “Did you buy out the whole store?”

Bobby cracked a wide smile and tripped over the fifth half-empty box of Christmas decorations retrieved from the basement. Miss Ellie smiled at her husband; he loved Christmas more than he would ever dare admit. “No, Jock. Just the Christmas department.”

Her husband scoffed, “Well, you women sure do make a pretty picture. Ain’t that so, Junior?”

J.R.’s eyes were transfixed on Sue Ellen, as she ascended the stairs to their bedroom. He snapped his attention to his father and replied, “Yes, sir.”

“And, just think, J.R.. This time next year, we’ll be able to celebrate your baby’s very first Christmas here on Southfork.” J.R. enthusiastically nodded at his fathers idealistic hope for the future. In fact, the promise of a new baby had thrown the entire family into a manic excitement that he and Sue Ellen would finally be blessed with their own child. Little did any of them realise his very real doubt as to whether Sue Ellen had been as faithful as he had always assumed she would be. “Yeah, it sure is beginning to look like Christmas,” Jock happily patted J.R.’s back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Nice idea :)

Hoping for something a little happier for JR and Sue Ellen next time...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +83

Who Would Imagine A King?
    Season 3 (Between "Return Engagement" and "Love and Marriage")

Sue Ellen twisted the oval diamond band relentlessly. She ached for the ability to reach out and lift baby John from his crib but her body resisted. The sessions with Dr. Elby had been helpful but she still held a sense of resentment toward her son; he was the physical reminder of all the pain she had suffered at the hands of J.R. and Cliff.

“Sue Ellen.” Pamela’s tone conveyed her surprise to discover Sue Ellen in the nursery. Sue Ellen instantly retreated from the crib, her bottle of undiscovered emotions firmly capped. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude.” Sue Ellen’s neutral, numbed expression prompted more from Pamela, as she settled down another box of presents she had purchased at The Store. “We had another delivery of children’s toys this afternoon, and I couldn’t resist.” She positioned the pre-wrapped toys underneath the mini Christmas tree she had also decorated the nursery with. “Isn’t that sweet?” Pamela retrieved a teddy bear with a Stetson from the Santa’s boot.

“It’s lovely, Pamela.” Sue Ellen offered mild approval, “But I do think this is all a little overboard. I do not want that baby spoiled.”

Pamela’s face fell at Sue Ellen’s lack of affection toward baby John. It seemed so unfair that she and Bobby had so much love to raise a baby with and couldn’t have their own, yet Sue Ellen had been blessed with a baby she refused to even hold. “Well, it’s no trouble. After all, it’s his first Christmas. He deserves to be spoilt,” she persuaded, her tone sweet as could be.

“Pamela, I realise it’s a difficult time for you.” Her sister-in-law alluded to the recent loss of her unborn child, “I sympathise, I really do. But baby John is no replacement for the child you lost.” The way in which Pamela pined over baby John only distanced Sue Ellen further from the infant; it pinpointed her failure as a mother for the entire family to see. “I don’t think your behaviour toward the child is healthy for him or you.” Pamela appeared to shrink inside herself, and silently departed the nursery with the multitude of presents she had offered.

Sue Ellen remained alone with baby John for quite some time, until his interested in the mobile above faded and he fell asleep. Sue Ellen tucked herself away into a dark corner of the room, where she rocked in the chair and admired the baby from a safe distance. It was almost 9pm, when the footsteps up the stairs indicated J.R.’s return and Sue Ellen stiffened at his entrance. Oblivious to Sue Ellen’s presence, her husband knelt beside the children’s size Christmas tree next to the crib and presented a small wrapped box. Like Sue Ellen, he had isolated himself from his namesake and shirked any parental responsibility he wasn’t one-hundred-percent certain he held. J.R. had waited for a son, so hard and so patiently that it felt as if the whole world waited with him. It would be one of life’s cruellest ironies, if his patience went unrewarded.

“J.R.,” her voice in the dark caused him to shiver.

For once, her husband's eyes didn't darken to the shade of stone. "Sue Ellen..." He swiftly rose to his feet, curious as to why she was alone in the nursery and embarrassed, too, that she had witnessed his private show of affection toward her son. "Well, I'm happy to see even you won't deprive your own child at Christmas." J.R. chided, to counter the humanity she could manipulate into vulnerability. "Peace on Earth and Goodwill to all men."

J.R. promptly exited, and Sue Ellen returned to stand beside the crib. The infant stared up at his mother with red eyes, tearful and at an unease. She could only hope his future was destined to be miles happier than his present circumstance, even if it was already mapped out for him; the future king of the Ewing empire. Sue Ellen braved the first time she had ever touched her son and softly stroked the sleep-suit material at his foot. “Merry Christmas, baby John.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ilovesoaps100

ilovesoaps100 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not to bad, I hope sue ellen and Jr get a little romance

8. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings: