the 2017 Daytime Emmy winners

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Daniel Avery, May 2, 2017.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    It's amazing how this used to be an anticipated event in soap circles, but now has about as much fanfare as a 4H banquet. It doesn't help that the best option they got for broadcasting it was Facebook Live--I mean, seriously! People are broadcasting their suicides on Facebook Live, so obviously you can put just about anything on there.

Rant off; the winners are....

Gina Tognoni of Y&R and Scott Clifton of B&B took home the Lead Actress and Lead Actor Emmys. Clifton is the first actor to earn all three of the male acting statues, having previously won Emmys for Younger Actor and Supporting Actor. Both are multi-soap veterans.

Kate Mansi of DOOL and Steve Burton of Y&R took home the Supporting Actress and Supporting Actor trophies. Neither actor is still in their role.

Lexi Ainsworth and Bryan Craig of GH won Younger Actress and Younger Actor Emmys. Craig has also left his role, which was the brother of Ainsworth's character.

The Writing Emmy went to Y&R, while the Directing and Drama Series trophies went to GH.

Much like last year, there was a fairly even distribution of awards among the four remaining soaps, and like last year there were a few names in the mix that were new to the Emmys, but long in the soap biz.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    I was predicting/hoping that the Drama Series award would go to Bold and the Beautiful this year--but maybe that's because it's the soap I knew the least about last year. Days was mostly terrible last year and certainly didn't deserve it. GH seemed to be kind of floundering too.

3. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,031
    Also--she never really bowled me over while she was on the show. I far prefer her replacement Marci Miller. She is fantastic.

4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    I hear a lot of great things about Marci Miller.

I was actually disappointed with the Younger Actor/Actress winners. Bryan Craig seemed like the product of on-set acting coaches rather than showing innate talent. One day he'd be emoting like mad, and the next day he'd be phoning it in. Still, at least he had a regular role. Ainsworth had a few months of story (ONE story) that was fractured and ill-written, and now she appears maybe once every two weeks just to have a scene with Nancy Lee Grahn. Since the actors only need to submit two episodes over a year's work, they qualified--but they don't deserve an award that represents a year's work.

I guess it's slim pickings in the Best Series trophy. Maybe "Least Problematic" series? I'd give that to GH, since they're written and produced so "safe" and predictable. They don't take chances or make creative moves like they used to. But I don't watch the other shows with enough regularity to comment on them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I missed it what network was it on because I did not see it advertised.

6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    As I mentioned in the original post, it was only on Facebook Live--not a 'telecast' in the sense of it being on any network. No network (broadcast or cable) seems interested in airing it.

7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,453
    Not that I have any interest in the daytime Emmy Awards but with all the multi-channels available in America not one would screen it?

8. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,812
    An awards ceremony presented live is actually quite expensive, and with daytime no longer a general-interest draw like it once was (that is, a genre that drew ratings in primetime, not just its home base of daytime), the ratings/expense ratio just doesn't work. Anyone agreeing to produce the broadcast would lose money, which is...not good. I would rather they not produce it for broadcast if they are forced to do it "on the cheap" as several entities tried to do it in recent years, resulting in ceremonies that were embarrassing and insulting to the participants.

• Like Like x 1