1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Affairs: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    Next up it's one of soaps most common themes, adultery. Ongoing affairs, one night stands, as long as there was cheating involved it's eligible. However, there may be a little crossover here with The Love Triangles battle so I'll quote myself from that intro "we are focusing on triangles that went on for some time and where feelings were involved, rather than sordid affairs or one night stands" and say that this time we are focusing on the sordid affairs and one nights stands.

Not saying you can't vote for something that developed into a love triangle or that you voted for in the love triangles round, but this one is more about passion and sex than it is about emotions. But that's up to people's own interpretations.

[​IMG]

Let the battle to find our favourite affair commence. And no cheating! (oh, alright then)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    [​IMG] :dance:

• Like Like x 5
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,491
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    There I go with my affairs (I mean, theirs!)... :fp::spinning:
    1- JR-Afton (Dallas) (At Lucy´s wedding and in his bed!)
    upload_2018-2-19_23-48-47.jpeg
    "Steal me away JR..."
    2- Alexis-McVane (Dynasty)
    [​IMG]

Here probably talking about wigs...
    3- Laura-Ciji (Knots) (Come on, they did it...even if they didn´t!)
    upload_2018-2-19_23-56-45.png
    If looks could kill, Ciji would´ve died twice.
    4- Melissa-Father Christopher (Falcon Crest) (They did it...didn´t they?)
    [​IMG]

"I confess father...you looked great at the lake yesterday...!"
    5- Jacqueline-Douglas (FC) (The most contrived affair in Soap history)

[​IMG]

"A nazi? An adulterous? A baby trafficker?
    Who, moi.....................................?"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    1. DALLAS: John Ross Ewing & Emma Ryland - The Indulgent Affair.
    upload_2018-2-20_1-44-37.png
    Sexy DALLAS people who do it just because they can. It was sizzling, raunchy and dangerous.

2. KNOTS LANDING: Michael & Linda Fairgate - The Sweet Affair.
    upload_2018-2-20_1-53-41.png
    I watched this with very mixed feelings, because I liked both Fairgate brothers and she was kinda nice too (at the beginning).
    But they looked so lovely together and I guess it didn't hurt that Eric was out of sight when it all started. This was the affair that made me feel guilty.

3. PAPER DOLLS: Mark Bailey & Racine - The Not So Against All Odds Affair.
    upload_2018-2-20_2-2-31.png
    This affair resulted in a break-up scene that was so emotional and unexpected that it startled me.
    But Mark Bailey, the snobbish intellectual, was mostly unfaithful to himself since he would "never" fall for such a cheap trick. But yes he did.
    First he looked down on her, then he went down on her.

4. KNOTS LANDING: Gary Ewing & Judy Trent - The Ugly Affair.
    upload_2018-2-20_2-11-2.png
    It had that wonderful, 70's depressing vibe and I couldn't quite figure out why he wanted to continue the affair.
    They weren't like The Greatest Love Couple and it just seemed like a no-win situation. At least Abby took him to higher heights.

5. DYNASTY: Dex Dexter & Amanda Carrington - The What Took Them So Long? Affair.
    upload_2018-2-20_2-31-37.png
    There had been a few hints here and there (in essence, they only have to meet to create a potential love affair) and both their marriages were on the rocks when it finally happened. And yet there was a sense of forbidden fruit, not to mention the idea that they were (sort of) unfaithful to that superbitch Alexis. Well, at least that was her impression and who dares to disagree?

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    Oh, it's all so....tawdry!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    1. Abby and Gary, KL--the affair that tore the cul-de-sac apart forever.
    Val: "I think I'd better keep my eye on you, all the time."
    Abby: "Do. How else are you going to learn?"

2. Abby and Peter, KL--he thought he was going to put one over on her--poor idiot.
    Gary: "Oh, she's got a great image with the press. Isn't she the one who buried a body under the playground?"

3. Abby and Richard, KL--Am I detecting a theme here?
    Abby: "You are so simple."
    Laura: "And you are such a slut."

4. Abby and JR, KL--ah, what could have been!
    JR: "You want to be Queen of the Ewings."
    Abby: No. I'll settle for...Princess."

5. Abby and Greg, KL--they were 'convenient' to each other, but too much alike!
    Aide: "Take Mrs. Ewing--"
    Greg (interrupting): "You take her. I've had her."

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    It's almost as if you're implying that Abby was some kind of slut or something.

• Funny Funny x 8
  8. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,558
    1. Douglas Channing and Jacqueline Perrault - An affair that over 30 years later lead to one of the greatest twists in all of the prime time soap operas. FALCON CREST
    2. Constance Carlisle and Michael Tyrone - Sort of revenge sex after Constance found out about Fielding's affair with Sandy Swanson FLAMINGO ROAD
    3. JR and Holly Harwood - It was just one night of sex but its ramifications were massive. DALLAS
    4. Melissa Agretti and Richard Channing - The show's 2 biggest villains, after Angela, shagged more for business than affection while she was still married to Lance. FALCON CREST
    5. Abby Fairgate and Richard Avery - An early indication that Abby was never going to qualify to be a nun. KNOTS LANDING

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,337
    My list

1. J.R. and Kristen -J.R. having an affair with his wife sister was really disgusting, and cruel.

2. Gary and Abby-I love Valene and Gary but have to admit I love Gary and Abby together too.

3. Sue Ellen and Cliff-We knew this would happen, I think they both were using each other but than they started to really care about each other. We knew J.R. wouldn’t allow it to go on.

4. Ray and Garnet-I was not a fan of Garnet she would do anything to further her career.

5. J.R. and Holly Harwood -I hated seeing him cheat on Sue Ellen with Holly. Holly wanted revenge but it basically only hurt Sue Ellen, and that lead to Sue Ellen causing Mickey’s death.

Others I would add if I could.

Sue Ellen and Ray- They want us to forget about their one night stand.

Lucy and Ray- Beyond creepy it is no wonder they wanted us to forget it happened.

J.R. and Afton- The reason I always disliked Afton. She slept with J.R. in Sue Ellen’s bed. I totally think J.R. was at fault but it really made Afton look cheap.

J.R. and Garnet-It was only a way for J.R. to hurt Ray. I think it was great because Ray could do better than Garnet.

JR and Ray -Sleeping with 2 women Wanda and Marilou in the Winds Of Vengeance episode. Their one night stand caused Luther Frick and Payton to arrive At Southfork Ranch to get revenge. I felt Sue Ellen and Pam got treated the worse. The men were let go, and not charged because the Ewing’s didn’t want bad a reputation. It showed us that their reputation was more important than the treatment Bobby and JR’s wife went through.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    Oooh, I didn't know/remember that was the reason they showed up at SF.

11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    JR and Ray had a four-gy? On CBS? In 1978?!?

:eek::D:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,163
    1. Abby and Gary
    Knots Landing

Scandal, suspicion and sleaze. In flagrante delicto discoveries and twitching net curtains. This was THE soap affair - never to be topped.

In addition to Abby's immortal line, it also gave the series some of the finest Julie Harris one-liners as Lilimae quipped her way through the situation:

2. Gary and Judy
    Knots Landing

Willie wasn't kidding when he called this one "ugly". Even by Gary's sleazy standards, this was an all-time low. This time he wasn't just betraying Valene, but also the vulnerable man he was sponsoring in AA who trusted Gary and was completely destroyed to find out Gary was having sex with his wife. It's really quite uncomfortable to watch, but compelling at the same time. And it's the only instance I can think of where one affair paved the way for another, with Abby's classic line to Gary "Are you ready for me now?"

3. Matthew and Krystle
    Dynasty

[​IMG]
    Even though it was part of the show's pre-history, this one resonated more than any of the on-screen affairs, the resonance rippling away through the first season building the pressure and motivating the behaviour of so many affected characters. It was woven so tightly into the fabric of the show that the idea of it becoming public was both unthinkable and inevitable.

4. Abby and Richard
    Knots Landing

[​IMG]
    I so enjoy that early Knots had that air of Seventies sleaze. Gary and Judy. Kenny and Sylvie. Even Sid got in on the action with mechanic Linda (or did he? We'll never know). These weren't glossy, soapy affairs. They were real people too caught up in the moment of instant gratification to even consider the ramifications. And the ramifications were real, with Abby getting quickly bored and hanging Richard out to dry. Like Gary and Judy - and in true Knotsian style - this served as the carefully placed stepping stone to the main event - the Gary/Abby affair.

5. JR and Holly
    Dallas

[​IMG]
    As Angela and Jessie have said, the fallout was pulse poundingly shocking.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    One strategically-placed champagne bottle gives that photo a very NSFW vibe, doesn't it?

(I know, mind in the gutter, etc.)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    One of my favorites occurred when Gary kept trying to get Lilimae to tell him where Val had gone to (after leaving him):
    "You'll just have to stir in your own juices...although I'd much prefer to see you boil in oil."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    Technically it was an affair because Matthew was a married man, but since he was having a hard time I didn't find it very sneaky. Of course Claudia had a different opinion and I can't blame her.
    But what happened on screen (post-affair) was even more serious because she really loved Matthew and she wouldn't have married Blake if Matthew hadn't told her (lied) that he didn't love her anymore. I think that trumps a horny one-night stand (*adds Best Love Stories to soap battles list*)
    If I had considered the off-screen affairs then I think I would have picked Alexis & Roger Grimes: a death, an exile and an ex-spouses feud that rocked the 80s tv landscape.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    1) Abby & Gary: Jock’s estranged son eventually decided to part ways from a hard working woman and go for a gold digger instead – KNOTS LANDING.
    2) Holly with JR: Well what more can I say other than what Jock would say? He would likely have said go for the oil - DALLAS!
    3) Maggie & Richard: Some might argue that the blonde heroine and the bad un’ were at it off screen, like it was going out of fashion in China. However the explosive kiss at the end of season 4 became more in season 6, when Chase also had the wandering eye – FALCON CREST.
    4) Amanda & Dexter: When the long lost daughter and the ex husband of the main character rumbled in the jungle it was only going to end one way. Disaster! Just put it down to the Colorado air – DYNASTY.
    5) Melissa & Fr. Chris: Melissa wanted to remove the priest’s collar from him forever but he was torn. The collar ended up in the Agretti lake anyway then in a later episode he decided celibacy was for him – FALCON CREST.

Richard is very angry and goes to have a word with Chase, at his office. Much time has lapsed since Maggie’s encounter with the deranged and twisted Jeff Wainright, (a scene from season 6, 1986 – ‘87):

Richard: “What the hell are you doing, running off with some cheerleader, while your wife sits at home, with a new born baby?”

Chase: “No lectures on morals, particularly from you!”

Richard: “Maggie is one of the finest women, I’ve ever known. She gets raped by a maniac and you turn your back on her.”

Chase’s blood starts to boil, while replying: “Mind your own business Richard!”

Richard: “I can’t. I’m too fond of Maggie and I used to have such admiration for you Chase. I envied what you and Maggie had. I would have given everything I owned to have that sort of happiness.”

Chase: “You’re wasting my time. Now get out of my office!”

Richard: “I told you this once before; you turn your back on Maggie and I just may come courting. We’ll see if you can live with that!”

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,538
    Falcon Crest could have ended its fourth season with this explosive scene
    upload_2018-2-24_16-7-50.png
    but Dallas had Bobby's death and Dynasty had the wedding massacre so I guess FC also wanted to give the audience some physical mayhem.
    At this point it wasn't a full-on affair (yet) but with the Giobertis finding themselves disagreeing on so many issues, this was the last thing they needed.
    I'd love to have this season on DVD.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    Willie what you are describing could have been the perfect end; to season 4. Chase getting hot and steamy with Connie could’ve went one step further and instead of the bomb going off at Richard’s mansion there could have been a blast at the winery, with kisses and hugs between the two attracted parties, separately obviously IMHO. Richard could have showed up there looking for Maggie, instead of what actually happened mid ’85.

Angela goes to the Gioberti castle, to voice her annoyance that Connie didn’t accept the offer she made on the Giannini property. Connie is in the living room with Chase and Maggie, (a scene from season 4, 1984 – ’85):

Chase meets Angela at the door: “Angela, I thought we would be seeing you today.”

Angela: “I bet you did. Behind that fur you look like a cat that swallowed the canary.”

Chase: “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Angela: “You knew I made arrangements to buy the Giannini property and then Connie changed her mind.”

Chase: “That’s her privilege isn’t it?”

Angela: “You talked her into it, didn’t you?”

Chase: “Why don’t you ask her yourself?”

Angela looks over at Connie and Maggie in the living room.

Angela: “Well! What a cosy little group. You’re all in this together.”

Chase explains that Connie has decided to keep her property. Connie then speaks to Angela, telling her why she has done so. Angela leaves with a parting shot that Connie will sell eventually but the next offer won’t be as generous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,160
    1. JR and Kristin (Dallas)
    2. Gary and Abby (KL)
    3. Richard and Melissa (FC)
    4. Sue Ellen and Dusty (Dallas)
    5. JR and Holly (Dallas)

• Like Like x 6