The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    If there's a TV series whose launch I'm eagerly awaiting in 2018, it has to be the 2nd season of the Ryan Murphy's anthology series AMERICAN CRIME STORY on FX focusing on the 1997 ASSASSINATION OF GIANNI VERSACE.

Not only was the 1st season PEOPLE VS. OJ SIMPSON which aired 2 years ago unexpectedly addictive, but I've always wanted to see the Versace story which I recall following with great interest in the press at the time.

The 9-episode series which stars Edgar Ramirez as Gianni Versace, Darren Criss as his murderer Andrew Cunanan, Penelope Cruz as Donatella Versace and Ricky Martin as Versace's boyfriend Antonio D'Amico begins on Wednesday, January 17 at 10:00pm on FX.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,961
    Any chance that it will be on UK tv at the same time, the way OJ Simpson was?

3. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,961
    Oh I hope so, I love these dramas :) Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    The Versace family attacked the FX series calling it "a work of fiction". FX responded saying the series is based upon the book Vulgar Favors and they stand by the author and her research. The story has recently been updated with Ryan Murphy's response:

"“You know, I think they’re in a really interesting, difficult situation,” Murphy said at the show premiere last night. “All I know is this: Donatella sent Penelope Cruz flowers yesterday. They are very close friends.”

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...ersace-family-statement-american-crime-story/

Meanwhile, TV Line says the Versace season is OK, but no OJ:

http://tvline.com/2018/01/09/americ...-assassination-of-gianni-versace-ryan-murphy/

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,581
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    If I were Donatella (and looked the way she looks, especially the lips), I´d be flattered and grateful to Penélope for playing her...I wonder anyway if the Versaces are planning to ally with Olivia de Havilland and sink poor Ryan Murphy.

upload_2018-1-9_20-17-48.jpeg

Miss Piggy has just suggested me this...​

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    Just in time for tomorrow's premiere, Ricky Martin appears on Comedy Central's The Daily Show tonight to promote the series.

Meanwhile, The Hollywood Reporter has a nice piece regarding the principal point of contention of the Versace family -- the portrayal of Versace as an HIV-positive man, who - allegedly - got very sick at one point, but managed to recover when the new HIV drugs came about in the mid 1990s. The series juxtaposes Versace's thirst for life and a new beginning with the brutal absurdity of his tragic ending.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...e-tackles-versaces-alleged-hiv-status-1074870

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Ladies and gents, I'm just about to watch the first episode. Looking forward to finally watching this project. I'll report later with my observations and thoughts.:popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    I saw the first episode last night. I don't get the 'what's there to talk about for 10 episodes' complaint. I have yet to see the rest, but I found the first episode compelling from the first till the last second and can't wait to see the next. Not to mention it's a feast for one's eyes.

The brutal absurdity of the murder was beautifully offset by the meticulously filmed peak into the gorgeous bubble Versace had built for himself. Penelope is hilarious as Donatella and I thought Darren Criss conveyed the murderer's desperate need to matter and - having murdered Gianni Versace - a sick sense of accomplishment and being pleased with his disgusting deed very well. I almost didn't recognize New Girl's Max Greenfield in the latter moments of the episode.

This is quite a different series compared to the People Vs. OJ season (perhaps NBC's recent Menendez Murders mini-series was more along the lines of that one), but that's exactly what I expected given a very different, more intimate tone and setting of this tragedy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    I am watching the series now. It is amazing the actors are great.
    I think Darren Criss is amazing in the role. It is tragic what the victims went through. The David Madson episode was shocking, and so sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,797
    I'm loving this series. A totally different approach to the first season which focussed on the trial of OJ Simpson. The fluid timeline is used cleverly to reveal different parts of the story while leaving you wondering why things happened. Darren Criss is so good as the killer, I'd only previously seen him in Glee which didn't require him to display a wide range of acting skills. I'm up to episode 5 and it's one of those series that I can't wait for the next episode to be broadcast because it's so compelling.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    At first I was perplexed, thinking I got the episodes in wrong order. We saw the fate of the two boys and then the following week we go back in time to see how it all began. It's a very effective approach, putting all pieces of the puzzle together in a compelling manner. You never know what part of the timeline you'll end up in next and what face you thought you wouldn't see again pops back up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
    I've only watched the first episode so far but I thought it was great. The casting is spot on and I like the different approach to last season.
    For some reason this case seems, in my head, to have been before the OJ one, even though I know it's wasn't. I remember at the time, as a young teen wondering why anyone would want to kill Versace.
    Does anyone know if the white bird/dove was actually also killed when Versace was? I thought that was very chilling and symbolic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,797
    Yes, that really did happen. One of the bullets hit the bird and it fell next to Mr Versace body.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +642
    I watched the first few episodes and need to catch up with the last 2 or 3, but it's beautifully shot (no pun intended) & very well cast. It's not as gripping as OJ for me, but then it's a very different kind of drama, which was a puzzle that the police at the time had to put together, so to screen it as a puzzle is pretty clever. Although I do love AHS & ACS I have to admit that I'm more looking forward to FEUD 2 - Charles & Diana having adored the Davis/Crawford.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Emeleez Navidad

Emeleez Navidad Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,100
    I used to love Versace (the fashion), but I feel that it's gone trashy in the last 10 years or so. Why oh why did Gianni Versace have to die?! :sad:

17. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    I didn't know this was one of the Ryan Murphy series. I've added season 1 to my Ntflx list.

18. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    After Princess Diana tragically died the night between Saturday, August 31 and Sunday, September 1, 1997 I recall first hearing about it at lunchtime on Sunday and feeling physically ill and needing to sit down. It had never actually happened to me to that extent upon hearing of someone's death. I think one of the reasons that made it so shocking was that I instantly recalled the image of her sitting somberly next to Elton John at Gianni Versace's funeral just one month prior. And then she goes on to die herself. Surreal.

And that's the whole point. He didn't. He even - allegedly, according to the series - managed to recuperate from severe illness brought on by his HIV infection thanks to the new drugs that first appeared in the mid 1990s. He'd found fresh vigor for life. And that this loser cut it short.

People vs. OJ? Oh, that's a great one. It's like one of those 1980s mini-series focusing on a murder trial (my beloved 'Nutcracker' comes to mind, I have to re-watch that sometimes).

I loved that they dedicated one whole episode to the jurors and the pressure & insanity that went on behind-the-scenes with them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,673
    Ooh, I've never heard of Blood & Orchids. The DVD cover makes me want to check it out. Texas Justice is of course a favorite because of Heather Locklear.

Another couple of mini-series along such criminal lines I recall - there was one with Farrah Fawcett playing a mother accused of killing her children (with Duran Duran's Hungry like the Wolf playing in the background) and I Know My First Name is Steven about a boy who gets abducted by a perverted priest.

• Like Like x 1