The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,922
    Medals:
    This was based on a real murder mystery:
    [​IMG]

I checked IMDB for more titles by "Dominick Dunne", and then I discovered the movie THE USERS (1978). I don't know anything about this movie, but I found this review very intriguing:
    upload_2018-3-11_14-38-21.png

:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Medals:
    That review is... Special.

3. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Medals:
    I always remember seeing this when I was very young. Maybe about 7 years old, and it terrified me. I can never remember what it's called though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    I think I have The Users on one of my bootleg DVDs. I got it along with other TV movies / mini-series because John Forsythe is in it, a couple of years before joining DYNASTY. But as I recall it didn't impress me much. But I saw it in 2009, maybe I'd have a different opinion today. The Two Mrs. Grenvilles is a beautiful mini-series. Loved the book, loved the mini. And I saw it first as a child back in 1987, when it was all fresh and new.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,922
    Medals:
    Come to think of it, I have read his novel The Winners which appears to be a sequel to The Users.
    upload_2018-3-11_20-8-25.png
    It's also about a Hollywood murder but I don't think there was a movie version.

This looks interesting too:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +714
    Small sacrifices.

Small Sacrifices is a 1989 American television film written by Joyce Eliason and based on the best-selling true crime book by Ann Rule of the same name. The film is about Diane Downs and the murder and attempted murder of her three children. It stars Farrah Fawcett, Ryan O'Neal, Gordon Clapp, John Shea and Emily Perkins. The film premiered on ABC on 12 November 1989

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Alexis

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Medals:
    I would have probably seen this about 1990 or 91 then so I wasn't far wrong. Thanks I'm gonna look for it now.

It's up on YouTube for anyone who'd like to see it. I think I might watch it tonight.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  8. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    I just saw this week's episode re-focusing on Gianni Versace, while giving us insight into Andrew's beginnings as a male prostitute. Darren Criss is so good in this role. I've come to appreciate his performance more and more as I've delved deeper into the series. One of my favorite moments this week? A reluctant Donatella becoming the focus of photographers as she makes her grand entrance in Gianni's iconic dress. Beautifully filmed and scored!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,491
    Medals:
    It is just soooooooooo good. The actor playing Versace is so like him and Penelope Cruz is wonderful as Donatella.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,847
    Medals:
    I rather liked Dunne's 1991's TV movie AN INCONVENIENT WOMAN directed by Larry Elikann and filmed at the Filoli estate.

[​IMG]

And for those keeping score, Princess Diana died the night between August 30 and August 31, 1997.

11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,847
    Medals:
    Oh, no wonder Claudet Colbert looks a little like Jane Wyman here -- they're both Libra Rising/Moon in Gemini!

[​IMG]

12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,847
    Medals:
    Everybody seems to be saying that if you watch it on DVD be sure to view it backwards... Any opinions on that?

[​IMG]

13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,922
    Medals:
    Maybe there were also backwards time jumps within the episodes, I don't remember exactly.
    I guess they did this because there was nothing mysterious about the murder and they hoped that the audience would want to know what made this murderer tick.
    Personally I found it all a bit cartoonish and too much of a performance (he reminded my of AHS character Dandy Mott).

At the same time it also looks like an excuse to show Versace's opulent life style but I guess they had to justify the title of this series.

It's a beautiful box with absolutely nothing in it. There's some irony in it, though. Andrew Cunanan wanted to be interesting and he failed miserably.
    The best part was the mistakes made by the police but apparently this wasn't a big thing.

14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,847
    Medals:
    Yes, and some people have problems with non-linear storytelling, I guess. I hear it's all about the killer and very little about the killed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,922
    Medals:
    There was no significant connection between the killer and his victims. The title of this series is painfully sensationalized, like I said just an excuse to make it a chapter in the American Crime Story series.

16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,847
    Medals:
    Well, he killed his ex, didn't he? Some think Cunanan, concerned about his own weight, misappropriated some steroids and that the first killings may have been due to roid rage after he was rejected.

In happier times, Andrew and David Madson:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Even though Cunanan was HIV-negative, he may have believed otherwise; according to a San Diego AIDS counselor, Cunanan had come by and asked about the virus. He reportedly said to the counselor, "If I find out who did this to me, I'm gonna get them!"

But who knows...?

17. Gabriel Maxwell

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Perhaps episodes 3-7 could be viewed backwards, but I certainly wouldn't do the entire series. The finale is the finale after all. Personally, I'd leave the episode order the creators intended intact.

And kudos to them for that. As frustrating as it may seem initially (I honestly thought after watching episode 5 the network aired it after 4 in error), the time-jumping narrative is brilliant.

In a linear mystery you'd make the audience not privy to key facts and reveal them as you go along. By playing with the timeline we can achieve the same effect and end up with a more compelling tale. A lot of modern shows do it to an extent, this series takes it to another, bold level.

And that's the whole point of this Trumpian tragedy of a boy with a con-man father who instilled in him the idea he was exceptional and destined for greatness, where being a loser was simply not an option. Of course both the father and the son failed to live up to this unattainable fantasy inventing an alternate reality filled with lies and deception to deal with their inability. And the title mirrors that perfectly.

Few would obviously care about a show called "The Andrew Cunanan Story." Now, the title could've also been a more accurate "The Man Who Murdered Versace." "The Assassination of Gianni Versace" however underlines the murder being this loser's crown "achievement" (the only reason we're talking about him is the fact he killed Versace) and the importance of Versace's success in his failure of a life. It was a painful benchmark reminding him of his own insignificance.

Huh? He slept with almost every one of them. And he emotionally drained and manipulated at least two of them.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,847
    Medals:

And does the music from near the end of this one sound like it was ripped from "Sue Ellen's Sister"??

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,922
    Medals:
    I meant the irony that this tv series ended up being just as empty as Cunanan himself.
    And I'm a little hesitant to call his life a tragedy.
    But at least I'd know what I'd be watching. There must be other movies about famous killers.
    Of course Versace happened to be more famous, so I can understand why they chose that title. But it's not really about the assassination of Versace so I felt a bit click-baited.
    But it didn't take me that long to figure out why he picked a celebrity like Versace as his trophy victim, and that he suffered from grandiosity.
    The result and the cause was pretty much told in the first two episodes, and then it goes on and on for 7 more episodes about what happened before, and he was so annoying.
    They also showed Versace when he was still alive and kicking, eventhough that had nothing to do with him getting murdered.

It could have been interesting as a two or three part mini-series.

20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,847
    Medals:
    Oh, well, sure it is --- it's just a tragedy that's a wee bit harder to be sympathetic about.

I mean, even Hitler was a tragedy -- beaten to a pulp by his dad... but after Hitler's millionth victim, you have to eventually say, "Oh, who cares about Adolf??"