The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Gabriel Maxwell, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,403
    Medals:
    Or that ugly fat kid that spree-kills his classmates. Nobody cares about his state of mind or upbringing. He is just a monster.

The tragedy of pretty monsters is that it seems like such a waste because they are pretty.
    "I'd like to have sex with him but now I can't because he's a psycho killer". Bummer!

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    Medals:
    Here are the first few minutes of TAOGV --- and it really is THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY...

But isn't being a monster a tragedy? Like Dracula -- he's at least a little bit of a saddy, right?

[​IMG]

Or is Frank Langella more tragic than, say, Gary Oldman or Bela Lugosi??

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    Medals:
    A little more...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    Medals:
  5. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,870
    And that's really the bottom line here. I really liked Darren Criss -- whom I had previously only seen on 'Glee' -- in the Cunanan role, as contemptible as the character was. I thought - to my surprise - he was very well cast and, since he essentially carries the show, if you find him annoying, you'll obviously hate the show.

I don't actually find him particularly attractive, so my desire to see that loser's life journey - to know what made this killer tick - had to do with his performance.

I thought Versace was also very well cast, but if he were the principal character of this series I don't think I would enjoy it as much. The Versaces actually worked very well in small doses. I thought they chose wisely to make Criss the focal point.

If there was nothing mysterious or compelling about the murder, how one can feel disappointed about the show not really being about the murder?

It had everything to do with him dying. They showed Versace overcome great struggles in his business and with respect to his health, as well as reach a new place in his relationship with his boyfriend and sister. On the verge of collapse or dying, he managed to crawl his way back to a happy place, his heartbreaking new-found happiness juxtaposed by the sheer stupidity of the ensuing killing. And that sure is a tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,403
    Medals:
    Well it is the title of the show. Maybe it wasn't such a great subject to begin with...
    Yeah sure but that goes for anyone who dies in an accident or gets murdered or becomes ill. Life is random, and it's brutal.
    But from his point of view there was nothing leading up to the assassination.

I don't hate it, it's very well produced and also informative because I hardly remembered Versace being killed, let alone whodunit.
    But I don't find it substantial enough to stretch it to 9 episodes.
    Compared to the first series which was 10 episodes, and I loved every minute of it.
    I meant the character, how it looked on screen. I have no reason to dislike the actor and maybe his performance was 100% accurate.

7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,019
    Medals:
    Trail of the Mad Son