The Aussie Soap Archive

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by Carrie Fairchild, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I know this part of the forum doesn't get a great deal of traffic but I thought that the Aussie soap fans who do visit might enjoy some of these. Basically it'll just be a collection of clips or episodes of all the Aussie soaps - the favourites and the forgotten - from over the years. Feel free to add what you like.

I'm going to kick off with what appears to be the only full episodes online of the mid-90's sun, sex and sin saga Pacific Drive. It was basically the Australian attempt at Melrose Place.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Out of the Blue - premiering in 2008, there hasn't been a new Australian soap launched since. This was actually commissioned by the BBC in the UK to fill the gap left in their schedules after Neighbours moved to Channel 5. They threw the towel in pretty early though, moving it from main channel BBC One to BBC Two after only three weeks. It didn't fare much better when it premiered in Australia, airing in a late night slot rather than primetime. It was a good show though and a breath of fresh air compared to the rather teen oriented Neighbours and H&A of the time. A good portion of the show's 130 episodes can be found online.

3. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Probably one of the more mentioned Australian soaps on this site, outside of the Aussie forum is this camp gem Return to Eden. Beginning as a miniseries, it was developed into a 22 episode soap a few years later. Touted as the "Australian answer to Dallas and Dynasty", the miniseries just about stayed on the right side of OTT camp whereas the soap sequel went right off the scale. It was canned after one season because Aussie audiences didn't really take to it but it was quite successful overseas. There were plans for a revival in recent years but it was eventually dropped due to the expense.

The Miniseries

The Soap Sequel

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,028
    Carson's Law was a mix of courtroom drama and family saga.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carrie Fairchild

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I've only ever stumbled upon Carson's Law online. I've no recollection of it ever being repeated in the UK or Ireland. It looks like they were trying to recapture the period drama prestige that The Sullivans garnered during it's years on air.

One of my favourites from the 90's was Breakers, which ran for just shy of two years between 1998 - 1999. It was based around a group of people who lived and worked around Bondi Beach, the focal point being the titular Breakers building block. It was a lot more diverse and hard hitting compared to H&A and Neighbours at the time but it received literally no on air promotion in Australia and was ditched by BBC1 after a few months. Thankfully it ran in it's entirety on Irish TV. When it folded, some of the cast followed the well beaten path on to H&A and Neighbours but most of them seem to have moved away from film and TV.

There's very little of it to be found online - a few clips and the opening credits. The most substantial remnant of the show is this playlist of clips covering the story arc where Lucy began a relationship with Kelly. This was even brought up in Aussie Parliament where a conservative MP aired her concerns about kids being exposed to lesbians on TV (Breakers aired in a daytime slot)

Lucy and Kelly from Breakers: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8AB1DBDC647E6E1D