The Baron

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Seaviewer, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,645

http://www.soapchat.net/index.php?threads/steve-forrest-in-the-baron.1342/

@J. R.'s Piece

I thought it would be best to continue this away from the Dallas forum.

I just watched the episode called "The Persuaders".

Hindsight gives that a certain irony. Roger Moore might have been upset at the "borrowing" of scenes from The Saint but I wonder of he was aware that the title of his later series had been used by The Baron.

Hindsight also added a bit of drama to the plot. Knowing that David had been written out made me wonder if the kidnappers might actually kill him. I have to admit that I'm not sure I wasn't disappointed that they didn't. Compared to Cordelia he really does just take up space.

• Like Like x 1
  2. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021

Actually The Persuaders episode, "Someone Waiting" was a recycled version of The Saint episode "The Time To Die", so Roger Moore gets death threats and sent a wreath in both episodes. While the very format of The Persuaders had been tried out in The Saint episode, The Ex-King of Diamonds with Stuart Damon.

David's duties in The Baron seem to involve him being regularly rendered unconscious. I couldn't help laughing in The Legions of Ammak when the villain describes David as "the boy who works with The Baron".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ferris_(composer)

The transmission order and the production order were very different. Both David Marlowe and Templeton-Green were in the earliest episodes shot but these were mixed in with later episodes. But James Villiers was delightfully hissable in that episode as Roddy, amusingly brutally stabbing David and then arguing that he had to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    Nice extended version of the theme. As a matter of fact the animated title sequence has me somewhat puzzled. Just what is he doing with his right hand? :confuse:
    The order I'm watching is probably neither. As I said, I started at random and if the DVR misses one due to schedule changes I try to pick it up next time through. Legions of Ammak I appear to have missed for now.

Last was There's Someone Close Behind You. This was the reverse experience as the killing of his police friend took me by surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    "Masquerade" parts one and two.

Maybe I should have kept this in the Dallas forum after all because now we're back where we started - Steve Forrest playing his own plastic-surgery-enhanced impostor.

One oddity: The TV guide listed the second part as "Masquerade, Pt 2" but the title onscreen was "The Killing". The same thing happened with "Storm Warning", with the second part's onscreen title being "The Island".

• Like Like x 1
  5. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    The two-parters were also released in movie versions called The Man in a Looking Glass and Mystery Island. In The Island, The Baron gets to bump off a character played by David Healy, who played two parts in Dallas. The UK and AUS DVD sets feature the movie titles and trailers for the two-part episodes. ITC's Danger Man, The Saint and Man in a Suitcase also had two-parters that were theatrically released as movies.

The Legions of Ammak features Peter Wyngarde in a dual role. He would later star as Jason King in two ITC series (Department S and Jason King) made by Monty Berman and Dennis Spooner (who met on The Baron). In There's Someone Close Behind You, Mike Pratt (1931-76) appears and would later play Jeff Randall in ITC's Randall and Hopkirk Deceased for Dennis Spooner and Monty Berman. So his lines in The Baron about looking for Marty are quite fun. And it is nice to see The Baron beat him up. He appears alongside Michael Robbins, who he had previously helped murder months earlier on ITC's Gideon's Way. Richard Wyler (Greg) seems to be dubbed throughout. He had previously starred in The Man From Interpol.

John Carson (Revill in Masquerade) died recently.

I kind of liked Steve Forrest as Eddie. Is that wrong?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    "You Can't Win Them All"

Was this one by any chance based on a Saint episode?

The character of the police inspector and his banter with Mannering reminded me strongly of Claud Eustace Teal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    No, it wasn't based on a particular Saint episode, although there are several reminiscent police-hero relationships in ITC shows. Some bits near the start are similar to The Saint episode, Escape Route but The Baron episode was shot first. The Saint-based episodes of The Baron were filmed back-to-back in September-October 1965. From late November 1965, following the reformatting, that copying didn't happen again. Actually, elements of The Baron episode The Maze were later reused in two episodes of The Avengers.

Guest actor Sam Wanamaker (Sefton Folkard) later directed an episode of the next Monty Berman and Dennis Spooner show, The Champions. But due to heavy location shooting, it overran the usual two-week shoot and so Sam Wanamaker was fired and it was handed to the second unit for completion. That episode, To Trap A Rat took five weeks to shoot. Which caused Dennis Spooner to pen an episode of The Champions (The Interrogation) that would be filmed in one week, an episode that was influenced by his visits to see segments of The Prisoner being filmed. Steve Forrest stated in aninterview that he enormously admired Patrick McGoohan's portrayal of Jhn Drake in ITC's Danger Man.

Ivor Dean (the fourth and most frequent Inspector Teal on The Saint) later played the similar role of Inspector Large in five episodes of ITC's Randall and Hopkirk Deceased, which was produced by Monty Berman and created by Executive Story Consultant Dennis Spooner. Ivor Dean was also reunited with Roger Moore in an episode of The Persuaders, written by The Baron's Terry Nation. Most of The Baron was written by Terry Nation and Dennis Spooner, either separately or in collaboration. They also found time to write a 12-part Doctor Who story between them during the same period.

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/baron.htm

http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/steve-forrest-baron.html

https://itctv.wordpress.com/contemporary-crime-spy-fi/the-baron/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021

http://jensencv8.weebly.com/jensen-c-v8-in-film---the-baron.html

Oh, I like to play spot the difference with them!

PDVD_002.JPG PDVD_013.JPG PDVD_003.JPG PDVD_014.JPG PDVD_008.JPG PDVD_018.JPG PDVD_009.JPG PDVD_019.JPG PDVD_024.JPG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  9. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    and...
    PDVD_004.JPG PDVD_005.JPG PDVD_006.JPG PDVD_007.JPG PDVD_010.JPG PDVD_011.JPG PDVD_012.JPG PDVD_016.JPG PDVD_021.JPG PDVD_023.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Do you mean this?
    bar1.jpg
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDVD_031.JPG PDVD_032.JPG PDVD_033.JPG PDVD_034.JPG PDVD_035.JPG PDVD_036.JPG PDVD_037.JPG PDVD_038.JPG PDVD_039.JPG

11. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    In some of his publicity pictures, he has his hands in his pocket. Maybe it was that.
    PDVD_040.JPG PDVD_041.JPG PDVD_042.JPG PDVD_043.JPG PDVD_044.JPG PDVD_047.JPG PDVD_048.JPG PDVD_049.JPG PDVD_050.JPG PDVD_051.JPG

12. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    I remembered him from Superman IV but if not for the name appearing at the start of the episode I would not have recognised him. There's exactly a 20 year difference there but somehow he seemed more different than that alone would explain.
    Yes, although I admit I was being generous calling it "animation".
    Maybe. But he seems to be holding it outside the pocket, almost as if he were crippled in some way. It just seems a very odd pose.

• Like Like x 1
  13. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Early in production Monty Berman was supposed to have told Cyril Frankel that Steve Forrest's performance was too stiff and that they couldn't get anything out of him, which is why Cyril Frankel came aboard and got Steve to relax. Sue Lloyd also said that Steve was used to the US style of working (shooting an episode a week, whereas the UK would take two weeks) and he relaxed. Except in the area of Roger Moore's practical jokes, so those stopped.
    http://www.itc-classics.com/baron-index.html

• Like Like x 1
  14. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021

Both the monochrome episodes of The Saint and the whole of Gideon's Way were completed during May 1965.

This is included in the UK DVD guide: The Baron's production order (filming dates):

Samurai West - 12th July 1965 and throughout July

Red Horse, Red Rider - mid August 1965

The Legions of Ammak - late August 1965

Diplomatic Immunity - late August to mid September 1965. Sue Lloyd and Colin Gordon guest as Cordelia and Templeton-Green.

Portrait of Louisa - September 1965

By this point, with American influence, it was decided that David Marlowe was to be dropped and Cordelia was to be retained.

Farewell To Yesterday - early October 1965. Colin Gordon returns.

Epitaph For A Hero - mid to late October 1965. With Sue Lloyd and Colin Gordon.

The Persuaders - late October 1965. Final appearance of Paul Ferris as David Marlowe. Colin Gordon features.

Production suspended during November 1965 and show reformatted. The Saint shoots it's first colour episode (The Russian Prisoner) at the same studio during this time, ahead of a main colour shoot beginning in February 1966.

Something For A Rainy Day - late November to early December 1965. Sue Lloyd joins as a regular and Cordelia becomes John Mannering's assistant.

Enemy of the State - mid December 1965. With Colin Gordon. Episode contains a continuity error and gives Cordelia a different surname.

There's Someone Close Behind You - late December 1965

And Suddenly You're Dead - January 1966

A Memory of Evil - late January to early February 1966. Last episode to feature Colin Gordon

Masquerade/The Killing (the working title: for this two-parter is Masquerade) - mid February to mid March 1966. Pics exist of Roger Moore on the set.

Long Ago And Far Away - mid to late March 1966

You Can't Win Them All - early April 1966

The Seven Eyes Of Night - mid April 1966

The Long, Long Day - late April to early May 1966

The Edge Of Fear - mid May to 24th May 1966

Time To Kill - late May to early June 1966

So Dark The Night - mid June 1966

The Maze - late June to early July 1966

Night Of The Hunter - early to mid July 1966

Storm Warning/The Island - late July to mid August 1966

Roundabout - late August to early September 1966. Annette Andre replaces her friend/flatmate Sue Lloyd for an episode.

The High Terrace - mid September 1966

The Man Outside - late September 1966

Countdown - early October 1966

---------------------------------------------------------------
    PDVD_025.JPG PDVD_026.JPG PDVD_027.JPG PDVD_028.JPG PDVD_029.JPG PDVD_030.JPG PDVD_056.JPG PDVD_058.JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    This one came around again sooner than I expected.

Another lookalike story, vaguely reminiscent of The Prisoner of Zenda with a little Three Musketeers thrown in. David plays a more prominent role than usual, appearing more observant than usual, and Peter Wyngarde seems to be having fun impersonating Peter O'Toole.

I did watch Randall and Hopkirk. I remember liking it but unfortunately nothing else that would make that meaningful to me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    Well, Peter Wyngarde was originally impersonating John Gielgud but then afterwards he was made to dub all of Noyes' dialogue differently. The photographer is played by Kenneth Colley, who James from London has known. Peter Wyngarde has been a little critical of Steve Forrest's performance style in this but says Steve has been good in other stuff. George Baker from So Dark The Night said that Steve Forrest was wooden.

Randall and Hopkirk Deceased did a lookalike story, where Jeff Randall seems to be a very different person, who can no longer see or hear his Deceased partner. I won't say too much but there are a bunch of murders and a rubber mask. Ivor Dean is in that one.

I think possibly my favourite guest appearance on The Baron is Jeremy Brett's in The Seven Eyes of Night.

• Like Like x 1
  17. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    The earliest episodes filmed of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased have a more subdued and melancholy feel, which over time changed to more fun. Cyril Frankel was Creative Consultant on both that and Department S at the same time. Kenneth Cope says that Frankel was stopping it from being funny. Because Peter Wyngarde was being temperamental on Department S (Ken Baker, Cyril Frankel and Anton Rodgers talk about this on the UK DVD set, which Wyngarde didn't contribute to because he demanded a five figure sum and a week in Paris), Cyril Frankel was more occupied with this show and having to control Wyngarde. With Frankel absent from the Randall and Hopkirk Deceased set, Kenneth Cope and Dennis Spooner were able to introduce a lot more humour into the format of Randall and Hopkirk Deceased. Then Cope told Frankel that they weren't doing it Frankel's way any more.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    "Something For a Rainy Day" with the titles unusually in blue.

This turned out to be the episode where Cordelia got the job as Mannering's assistant but there was no mention of the fact that he already had an assistant. Interspersing the episodes must have been especially confusing for viewers at the time with David and Cordelia appearing to occupy separate parallel universes.

Also nice was seeing Lois Maxwell in a leading role. Bernard Lee was also in one. They of course would go on to work with Roger Moore in the Bond movies. (I recently read, in Roger Moore's autobiography as it happens, that Elementary star Jonny Lee Miller is Bernard Lee's son.)

By the way, there's a prison here called Barwon which has been in the news a lot recently. The reasons for that are not relevant but I can't help thinking of it whenever I see Mannering's BAR1 licence plate - although I'm assuming it was inspired by The Saint's ST1.

• Like Like x 1
  19. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    I think Jonny Lee Miller is Bernard Lee's grandson.

Lois Maxwell worked with Roger Moore in two episodes of The Saint in 1966 and one episode of The Persuaders!. She also did episodes of ITC's Danger Man, Gideon's Way, Randall and Hopkirk Deceased and replaces Norma Ronald as Commander Straker's secretary in two of the later episodes of ITC's UFO (which were being shot at Pinewood, while The Persuaders! was in production. So there are pictures of Roger Moore and Tony Curtis with Mike Pratt in his UFO costume and props that appear in both productions. Lois Maxwell is the main guest in the Randall and Hopkirk Deceased episode, For The Girl Who Has Everything, which was shot third. Of course, she provided the voice of Atlanta Shore for ITC's Stingray.

Bernard Lee worked with Roger Moore in the movie The Man Who Haunted Himself and an episode of ITC's The Persuaders!. Bernard Lee also worked on Danger Man (twice), Man In A Suitcase and The Champions for ITC.

Even the two occasions when David and Cordelia are in the same episode, they don't actually meet. But Diplomatic Immunity was transmitted first and given pilot status, so David and Cordelia are both in that. I like to think he is on extended absence or a reduced workload following his stabbing by Roddy.

Something For A Rainy Day features the first plunge of the white Jaguar. Derek Newark goes over in it (he plays Lucas) and then in The Champions, he puts someone else in it and that person goes over the cliff instead. He is also a villain behind another car plunging over the same cliff (using footage from The Baron: And Suddenly You're Dead) in an episode of The Saint.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    That makes more sense. I'll have to recheck the book; I may be misremembering.

That's a great movie.

For some reason the listings indicate repeats of the last two episodes over the next two weeks. I only have a few left unseen but no telling when they'll be on again.

• Like Like x 1