SoapLand - The Battle Of The Camp-O-Rama

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Willie O! Tannenbaum, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    upload_2018-11-28_1-28-25.png

There is no exact definition of "camp" - according to the dictionary it is linked to effeminacy, or kitsch and flamboyance.
    Some people think it means "so bad it's good", or the side effect of too much emphasis, or something that looks hilariously inappropriate.
    The subject, your personal taste in humour, social and artistic standards of a certain era - all these things seem to influence what (and when) we label as "camp".

But how did camp fare in the prime time soaps?
    Do you have 5 favourite scenes that make you cringe and laugh at the same time?​

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    I've a feeling this may be a very Dynasty / Return to Eden-centric battle.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,772
    You know when I read the title my first thought was "camp" as in "Camping trips" and that made me think of that really funny episode of "The Little House On the Prairie" when they went camping with the Oleson's and Nellie and Laura fell into the river. :Clol:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Kristin Kringle Channing

Kristin Kringle Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,374
    Great topic Willie! This whole list could have comprised of Alexis scenes as let's face it Alexis/Joan is the campest woman on earth, no one else even comes close. But I've added a couple of others for a little variety.

1. "He's vile, he's arrogant, and I'd like nothing more than to see him destroyed"

Everything about this is camp as hell, from Alexis casual breakfast outfit, to her protesting that she loathes Blake and always has done, to her getting turned on by Cecil's hatred for Blake. Although Alexis was quite a scheming bitch ever since her arrival this is where she turns deliciously dark and the first time she wages all out war against Blake. Joan hams it up like only she can and looks fabulous doing it. The writing and performance make this a perfect storm of campness.

2. "He will EXPIRE!!!!"

This is hilarious really and the actress playing the fortune teller actually almost out-camps Joan, but as that's not technically possible she doesn't quite manage it. Still, this is over-acting at it's very best.

3. "I have now danced away the poison, your poison!" (from 7.27)

Gina Lollobrigida was a great guest star on Falcon Crest and this is possibly her most memorable and iconic moment. It's all very theatrical and dramatic and Angela watching unimpressed with arms folded is hilarious. Be sure and stay tuned for Francesca's little speech afterwards.

4. "Family? Oh, I don't think so"

LS.JPG

Before bidding Lady Jessica goodnight Miss Ellie tells her that she's glad they're gonna be family. Once she closes the door Jessica makes this chilling, yet wonderfully camp declaration:"Family? Oh I don't think so. I wouldn't count on your marrying brother Clayton, Miss Ellie. I wouldn't count on it at all"

5. "I'm after you, and one way or another, I'll sink you"

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhKVxMvfH94

There are few things camper than an Alexis/Sable confrontation and this is one of the best. And it's Stephanie Beacham who steals the show here, with her threat to sink Alexis and then her wonderful pantomime evil laugh.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 11
  5. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    1. PAPER DOLLS - The Suffering Model

Poor Chris York, Racine's newly acquired male model who's going to rock the international fashion business.
    However, Paper Dolls being the Fashion Soap, it should be illustrated that modelling is more than "just sitting on a bike", so I wouldn't say that this scene is pure nonsense.
    But the photographer's over-the-top enthusiasm, combined with an actor who doesn't even convince as an untalented model, makes it one of the most outrageously campy scenes for me.
    upload_2018-11-29_0-12-52.png
    "All right, Chris. Go for it. Loosen up man, loosen up, you're too stiff".
    upload_2018-11-29_0-14-23.png
    "Come on, be McQueen. Lean forward, baby. Come on, come on, smile! Smile, enjoy it! Go for it! Go for it!"

Alas, there's more life in the Steve McQueen poster than in the model who's supposed to represent that special "McQueen" feeling.
    But then Racine comes to his rescue, they have a little chat and, eureka!, a star is born.

2. THE COLBYS - "Over my….dead....body!"
    [​IMG]
    Sable Colby insists that Jeff moves out, but Constance is having none of it.
    Stanwyck's OTT-melodramatic delivery makes me think I'm watching a movie from the 1940s, and it never fails to make me squeal with delight.

3. KNOTS LANDING - Abby's doing….something.
    upload_2018-11-29_0-39-19.png
    Her ex-husband has left a spoken message saying that he has taken the children.
    Abby plunges into shock and despair, I think, because it sounds as if she's faking an orgasm.

4. DYNASTY - Ben Carrington's not-so heart-wrenching confession.

It was hard to pick a favourite Ben scene because everything about him was camp.
    Ben and Alexis tried to frame Blake for the death of mother Carrington, but when Ben discovers an old picture of his mother, something inside him breaks.
    upload_2018-11-29_0-58-25.png
    "She died because I was selfish and irresponsible. As sure as that woman gave me life...I took hers!"
    Everything in this scene takes "soap" to the extreme.

5. DYNASTY - "You're as crazy as your mother".
    upload_2018-11-29_1-18-51.png
    Poor, poor Lindsay. You can't accuse her of being insincere, but all those tears were so much fun to watch.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    It was very hard not to fill this Top 5 with Dynasty scenes. I probably could've done a Top 20 on Dynasty alone. As it happens, the bulk of mine come from the Dynasty universe but it's so hard to top that I really couldn't think of anything from the others that could come close. Bar one.

1 - "What's The Charge?" - The Colbys

There's already high drama as Jason and Frankie's romantic getaway grinds to a halt on the tarmac of LAX as a quite excessive police presence arrives to stop alleged "attempted murderer" Jason from fleeing the country. And when he questions Moretti as to what they're arresting him for, he lets Sable do the talking as she emerges from the back of a police car, does a Dynasty turn to be proud of and sashays across the runway like Darth Vader in leopard print fur.

2 - "Take this junk. And your blonde tramp" - Dynasty

Never mind that the "junk" she's tossing off the balcony is probably a $50,000 fur coat, this scene is played to the hilt by all involved (except maybe Krystle). In an episode already awash with camp gems such as Dominique slapping Alexis' wig crooked and a gold laméd Amanda wrestling in a pool with a sequinned Sammy Jo, this scene tops all. From the presence of a snarling Ben to Blake strangling the clip on earring off Joan's double. I'm also a fan of any sort of balcony / staircase action be it people falling off them (which nearly made the cut) or down them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbb3egKAZ5Q

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3 - "You Miserable Bitch" - Dynasty

One of the catfights was always going to make my list. And while it's a close call between this and the studio fight, this one wins in terms of camp value. Beautiful women in expensive gowns throwing unwarranted shade "the empty armed Madonna" before tumbling into a lily pond and knocking seven bells out of each other. It is always fun to play "spot the body double" in these scenes too.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4 - Sable's Nightmare - The Colbys

Dynasty dream sequences were always a tad bonkers (Dex's malaria fever dream, Ben shooting Blake, Fallon shagging a corpse) but this one stays on the right side of ridiculous, mainly down to Stephanie Beacham's excellent acting. The Dark Shadows-ish music (borrowed from recent Spelling reject Dark Mansions maybe?) add to the madness. Props also to Enid for her turn as a Prisoner: Cell Block H-esque warden of the mansion.

5 - FASHION! - Return To Eden

Oddly, I have yet to indulge in the seemingly camp box of delights that is the Return To Eden series. However, I have watched the miniseries that preceded it and while bigger budget and with airs of being more sophisticated, it's still a soap at heart. The crocodile scene or Stephanie's unveiling in the mansion could have made the cut here but it's this scene that's always stuck with me. Stephanie / Tara does a turn that wouldn't have looked out of place a few years later on Ab Fab as one of Patsy's fashion flashbacks.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,582
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    So many "Dynasty" camp scenes, so little space...

1- Dynasty: The Search (Season 3) aka The one with Jeff high as a kite for overdosing poisoned paint

2- Dynasty: The Wedding (Season 3) aka The one with Alexis playing the blushing bride to agonizing Cecil

3- Dynasty: Body Trouble (Season 9) aka "Dinner is served!" (probably it´s shark!!)

To Be Continued

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,582
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Continued here:

4- Knots Landing: Bad Dog (Season 12) aka The one with Val suffering from brain virus and going cuckoo (again)

5- Falcon Crest: Camp-Anthology (Season 6) Best: Go to 6'44'' (or any other scene with Melissa!)

So what? Did you expect me to include something from "Dallas"? Really? I´m too conscious of its campiness to tarnish the show even further!

upload_2018-11-29_22-59-38.png
    "In Travilla we trust..."​

• Winner Winner x 6
  9. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    "Here, I didn't find a family"
    I've watched this scene several times but I had never watched it from Francesca's point of view.
    There's something awkward about someone spontaneously taking centre stage (like Jessica Montford did in another Dallas scene) because it makes everyone else in the room a spectator, whether they like it or not.
    No-one in this scene seems to be particularly uncomfortable watching a little Italian tradition, but personally I've always felt like a spectator, and I had never noticed Francesca's simple and endearing sincerity before.

I just...can't:fp:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,354
    1) Julia's nightmare in jail, (a scene from season 3, 1983 - '84): Julia's nightmare in the clinker is a classical OTT scene. She dreams that her mother Angela is a janitor and a prison warden. We see Jane Wyman's not in her usual attire but dressed as each of these characters - FALCON CREST.
    2) Jock risen from the dead or is it all an act by an impostor, (a scene from season 9; DVD - 10, 1986 - '87): Months after Bobby returned alive and well due to Pam's Dream the Texas show explores the possibility that the man at the programme's foundation Jock survived the chopper crash. Ellie confronts the new Southfork foreman Wes Parmalee about why he has Jock's possessions; a knife, belt buckle and letters. "Their mine Miss Ellie always have been!" - DALLAS.
    3) Alexis gets the mansion, (a scene from season 6, 1985 - '86): Blake chokes Alexis, while Krystle and Ben look on at the former couple. Alexis makes a catty remark and throws her rival's 'junk' furcoat to the ground, from the balcony. Blake lunges at his ex wife and with his hands around her neck says, "Damn you Alexis I'm going to kill you!" - DYNASTY.
    4) Chase in pursuit of Julia the nun, (a scene from season 3, 1983 - '84): After escaping from prison Julia attends Angela's wedding, as a nun. She is upstairs in the chapel, armed with a pistol. Before this Chase spots her in the basement and begins running after her. Eventually they meet up in a sacristy, where Julia points the pistol at him and despite attempting to reason with her she locks him in a cupboard - FALCON CREST.
    5) The ball in Martinique, (a scene from season 8; DVD - 9, 1985 - '86): J.R. is in Martinique with his cousin Jack and the glorious Angelica Nero, in the most DYNASTY influenced season of DALLAS. They attend a masquerade ball where Jack poses as billionaire Dimitri Marinos, a plan hatched by Mr. Ewing to persuade people that the international businessman is still in good health. Angelica seeks to kill both J.R. and the fake Dimitri at the event. Will she succeed? Could the real Dimitri also be there after all? - DALLAS.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,800
    1. Francesca dances the Tarantella at her leaving party. (You have to see it to believe it!)FALCON CREST
    [​IMG]

2. Tyrone speaks to Julia on the phone about using voodoo to bring down the people of Truro and knocks pieces off a chess board as he says their names. FLAMINGO ROAD
    [​IMG]

3. The cat fight Krystle and herself (Rita). DYNASTY
    [​IMG]

4. Fallon flies away in a UFO. COLBYS
    [​IMG]

5. Julia has a nightmare in prison in which Angela plays every role. FALCON CREST
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,320
    1. Alexis Sexes Cecil Senseless *
    Dynasty

[​IMG]

She adds insult to injury by giving him a slappy ending, and that's the clincher for me. The sound effects used for slaps in American shows of the era are oh so enjoyably camp and never fail to make me smile. Didn't French & Saunders or someone spoof these glossy slaps? If not, they should have. Pair multiple slaps with Joan’s permed head-shaking histrionics. And all this immediately following a Jackie Collins-esque soft core sequence with sax riffs and guitar licks. And it becomes the very xenith of high camp.

* Try saying it quickly three times. Go on.

2. Alexis Finishes The Job
    Dynasty

[​IMG]
    The old slapper in a virginal white wedding dress. That white carnation on the lapel of Cecil’s pyjama top. The Cowardesque dialogue (“Were you for a moment frightened that I wasn’t going to answer, Alexis?” “I was only frightened for you, darling...”). Cecil’s final ejaculation of pent up rage leading him to another theatrical heart attack. Joan Collins’s B-movie acting as the team try to save Cecil (more head shaking - this time followed by a downwards look of horror). The stabbing strings punctuating each use of the defibrillator. The music swelling to John Williams heights as we get to that final freeze-frame. It’s pure camp goodness.

3. The Studio Catfight
    Dynasty

[​IMG]
    The stunt doubles. The funky music. The ruined picture. The feathers. The only way this could be more camp is if they added Batman style graphics each time a blow is landed.**

** Now I’m thinking that could actually have worked. Damn this thread.

4. “Over My. Dead. Body.”
    The Colbys

[​IMG]
    The glistening earrings. The power posture. The bold juxtaposition of a silk floral old lady blouse draped over those “too big for NFL” shoulder pads. And that. Unforgettable. Stanwyck. Delivery.

It's a combination too heady to fully comprehend.

5. “'Ee Will EXPI-YUH.”
    Dynasty

[​IMG]
    For reasons already so eloquently explained by @Richard Channing. And I must also mention that fabulous accent.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    It doesn't happen very often that I feel compelled to change my list, this is one of the exceptions.
    My own top 5 is dominated by the "so bad it's good" (Chris, Abby, Ben) or something "to laugh at" (Lindsay) and I've noticed that other members have voted for more enjoyable scenes.
    And that THE COLBYS scene looks like an overdose of glamorous awesomeness.

These two think they can get away with it...
    upload_2018-12-3_21-24-52.png

But look!
    [​IMG]

Therefore I think Sable has to get my #1 vote too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quite a few votes for the catfights too, but I don't watch it very differently from the male-on-male fights. I guess it is rather unusual to see these upstanding divas tearing the place apart, but at the end of the day I just want to see the "bad guy" being punched in the face. And how Alexis deserved it, much more than she actually got.

This is my favourite funniest fight
    [​IMG]
    A fight and a fabulous staircase moment.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,618
    I have to admit I've been hanging back a bit, trying to get a definition of "camp". I always assumed it was just "overacting to the point of unintentional humor," but there seems to be a lot more to good camp than that. So I've seen a lot of everyone else's nominations and gotten a better feel for the spirit of the thread.

1. Diana needs a kidney...and a sock to the mouth, KL: Diana's kidneys fail and she is taken to the hospital in episode 63, "Emergency". During emergency dialysis, she flips out and starts ripping the needles out of her arm, saying she'd rather die than have to be hooked up to a machine several times a week. Claudia Lonow took it way too far with the histrionics.

2. "Where is that slut of a mother of yours?", KL: Most of the Val's "brain virus" story was camp disguised as a "medical problem," but the scene in episode 295 it seemed to hit its high-note (or low-note, depending on your POV) when hysterical Val (with her "I want to speak to a manager" haircut) confronts Paige. Paige's reaction later on? "I didn't realize she knew mother so well."

3. "My Love Always"--KL: Karen's stalker started ratcheting things up in episode 276 by sending Karen a gift of a (otherwise beautifully wrapped) beef heart, still oozing blood with a note attached stating that he would "rip her black heart from her decaying body". Karen's reaction was unintentionally funny, since Michele Lee looked like someone had dinged her with a cattle prod.

4. Robbing the cradle...like father, like daughter, KL: It was established in dialogue that much-older Paul Galveston had seduced (likely raped) young Claudia while he was involved with her mother Ruth. Claudia decided to do her own take on such behavior by seducing the much-younger (but hardly innocent) Alex Barth in an effort to destroy his chances with her daughter, Kate. Their trip to bed was filled with rude insults (Alex: "Bitch!"/Claudia: "Yes, Alex, I am!") but it came off as total soap camp because they absolutely detested one another and yet seemed to enjoy the whole thing.

5. Eric learns no good deed goes unpunished, KL: In episode 28, KL went the "afterschool special" route in a cautionary tale of Ginger's younger sister who tries pot laced with angel dust, which makes her try to drown herself. Eric saves her from the water, but Mrs. Kilman rips Eric a new one because she thinks he turned Cindy into a druggie. The mother was so over-the-top and the kids involved were out of their depth--the whole scene is painful to watch.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,073
    I am not going to give five scenes, because people have already given a lot of those I would have included. But DYNASTY had guts (or b**ls) when it came to camp. Anyone can do a catfight, but who can pull this off? The audacity to psych the audience by having them think you would be so outrageous, the in-your-faceness of it all, is why I loved DYNASTY. So here it is, season 3, episode 2, "The Roof."

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 5
  16. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +570
    ^I've long considered that rooftop drama as Pamela Bellwood's finest acting on Dynasty. I don't consider those scenes camp. I can't define camp, but I know what doesn't register as camp when I watch it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
    Oh I like this one. I'll have mine in by tomorrow. Expect turbans, tumbles, tears and theatrics.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,837
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
    1. Dynasty - Alexis takes the mansion and kicks out Blake and his blonde tramp. Finally!. I love everything about this scene. It feels like the peak of Alexis' story arc. Shame they fucked it all up in the resolution next season. Anyways. This image of Alexis is probably my favourite ever. She gloats as only she can. Bewigged and bejewelled looking absolutely stunning in shimmering white. Then as others have mentioned Ben and his theatrics adds to the scenery chewing by Joan. Wonderful.

2. The Colbys - Sable's fainting spell as she's to leave the Colby Mansion to make way for her Slut of a sister. She gloriously expires as only she can. A doctor is summoned and Sable stays to slay another day.

3. The Colbys - Sable in a turban, big shades and escorted by a cavalcade of police cars shows up at the airport to have Jason arrested for battering her like a Cod.

4. Dallas - Katherine Wentworth tries to kill Bobby Orbison by deadly injection. Then proceeds to admit her entire demented plan to everyone without a lawyer like some kind of Perry Mason wet dream. It's fabulous! Complete with hazy flashback and all. A masterclass in exposition done in a camp style.

5. Dynasty - Alexis and Sybil... and Blake. I have always loved this scene from season 9. Mostly for Alexis' absurd outfit and hairdo which I just live for. Also does sable always lounge around the house in Opera gowns and emeralds when she's not in power suits, fencing gear or equestrian attire? Who knows? But this scene is one of the best of season 9 I think. The awkwardness, the cattiness and the goading from Alexis. Just deliciously camp.

• Winner Winner x 7
  20. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +504
    1 - Blake choking Alexis, after she reveals the mansion is her property and that bitchy remark - Dynasty
    2 - Julia's nightmare during her prison stay, in which Angela is more than one person - Falcon Crest
    3 - The pool fight at Sue Ellen and JR's wedding - Dallas
    4 - Francesca dancing - Falcon Crest
    5 - Krystle and Rita claw it out - Dynasty

• Like Like x 1