Doctor Who The Capaldi Years

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Ome for Christmas, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,458
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    I think Capaldi's Doctor is one of the best.

[​IMG]

I really like the two companions, Nardole & Bill and it's been brilliant to have Missy play a bigger role this series.

But.... I'm just not getting the show any more.

I can't keep up with the stories, because I keep drifting off into other thoughts and then I feel like I've missed the plot. The plot which I'm struggling to understand.

I don't know what it is, but something is stopping me enjoying the Who.

Even John Simm coming into the story felt a little bit like a let-down.

Character wise it's been fantastic
    Plot wise has just gone over my head

Anyone else having problems, or are you enjoying it and just going along with the ride?

2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Original Member Since:
    July 25 (2005)
    that's because his era of the show has been so poorly written. i really enjoyed Matt Smith's storylines but Peter Capaldi who is a fantastic doctor by the way. there was an episode a couple weeks back where he did this shit eating grin or was it longer than that? the one where Bill thought he was evil. and his grin made me think of Tom baker with his creepy looking grin. he's a great doctor but his storylines have varied. i like Clara actually but she wasn't in the best of seasons of the show either. her last season was all over the place.

this season for me there really has only been like 3 or 4 episodes i think that i really liked and the rest has been utter shit. Saturday nights wasn't awful it was medicore. and honestly i don't really care for Bill it's not the actress at all it's the writing. it kinda feels like Steven Moffat should have left a long time ago because he stopped giving a damn about the show after Matt Smith left a couple years ago. who knows maybe the next show runner will do a better job and i don't hate Steven Moffat at all like many seem to.

i actually do like the twist at the end of the last one where it's the Genesis of the Cybermen. funny thing is while watching it it wasn't until late in the episode before Bill was found that it was slowly dawning on me that it was the cybermen that was being created.with the boots and the tools being shown of course. yes i could have figured it out if i tried to do any type of thinking but i wasn't really putting 2 and 2 together in short i wasn't thinking about it.

but i do now recall say they will be in the season finale and the look will be based on the Original look not used since (1967) i knew John Simm was back but i was wondering where the hell he was ? than he showed up being what's his face and i got my answer apparently. i do wonder though if Bill is dead though.

though that was a great shot over her tear though. i'm not gonna stop watching the show though. but than you can say that about any season from the original show as well some of it had great and fantastic Seasons and all had some medicore or terrible stories. season 1 had the Aztec's and Marco polo. and the Aztec's while not awful just isn't a favorite of mine and Marco Polo just bored the living shit out of me. no joke i watched a recon of it fan made it was a cartoon of it off you tube and it took me like a week to watch cause i was falling asleep on it and i had to shut it off a number of times to take myself a good nap cause i was so damn bored.

• Like Like x 1
  3. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Original Member Since:
    July 25 (2005)
    oh and i do love Nardole i hope he stays on the cast

4. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    Doctor Who was on at dinner time when I was a kid and I rarely watched it so these nods to the past are largely lost on me. I have liked Peter Capaldi, though. The doctor I was most aware of growing up was Jon Pertwee and Capaldi is the first of the revived series to recapture that sort of characterisation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,458
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005

I think he's brilliant in the role and would have loved to see him under the RTD era.

But how are you finding the stories?

6. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    Like any series - especially one where the episodes are mostly self-contained - they're something of a mixed bag. I think your phrase of "going along for the ride" sums it up best.

• Like Like x 1
  7. James from Lapland

James from Lapland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,339
    I've never really been able to follow the stories on Who, even in the old days. So long as the characters are interesting, I'm happy to go along with whatever happens. You tell me the moon's really an egg? OK, the moon's really an egg.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ome for Christmas
    Relaxed

Ome for Christmas Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,458
    Original Member Since:
    Dec 2005
    I do get your logic and yes, the characters are why I watch with so much love for the show. I just wish I could have gotten more out of the story this season.

Maybe, one day when I re-watch all New Who I will get a different perspective on it.

9. Dasher Avery
    No Mood

Dasher Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,905
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    I've appreciated Moffat's attempts at simplifying the individual episodes. For most of his run, he seemed determined to make the episodes so needlessly complicated. I largely tuned out of the Amy Pond/Rory/Eleven era because of it all. The very mention of River Song makes me want to change the channel, since I identify her with this "let's confuse you even more!" era of storytelling Moffat seemed to engineer in an effort to make himself look crafty and clever. It was almost like he wanted DW to be a soap opera rather than an episodic sci-fi drama. This season, by contrast, didn't hit me over the head with the season-long plot arc he always cooked up. I could tune in to see a self-contained story and enjoy it, not feeling obligated to puzzle over mysterious "clues" dropped in to solve some future mystery that had nothing to do with the episode at hand. I especially like the simpler Doctor/companion relationship this time around, rather than the complicated nature of the Amy/Rory and Clara years. Bill seems much more accessible and "every-woman". I hope she emerges unscathed from the recent plot twist.

Yes, there was the 'vault' mystery, but it was fairly obvious who was in there. It felt more like a device to keep the Doctor grounded on Earth rather than some universe-shattering "crack in the wall" type thing. Now that the mystery has cracked wide open, I had to shrug a bit, because it was widely reported that Simm and the original-recipe Cybermen were going to make an appearance. It might have been more shocking if that had been kept secret, but the tabloids work just as hard to spoil the DW episodes in 2017 as they used to work in spoiling the stories of Dallas, Dynasty, and KL in 1985.

10. Dasher Avery
    No Mood

Dasher Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,905
    Original Member Since:
    June 10, 2000
    Oh, and I love how effectively they brought back the (crap) Mondasian Cybermen.
    I wonder if they will hold 'viewing parties' in the UK like some Americans do?

upload_2017-7-1_14-30-32.png

11. Angela's Mulled Wine
    Cloud_9

Angela's Mulled Wine Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,444
    Original Member Since:
    I'm not an avid Dr Who viewer but I have dipped in and out of the series since it was revived with Christopher Ecclestone. I think when Matt Smith played The Doctor, the series became more of a CBBC series but Peter Capaldi has brought it back to what is should be: a grown up science fiction series with broad appeal.

I never expect to follow and understand everything that goes no because I don't watch it regularly enough but I still find I can get enough of the plot to enjoy it whenever I watch.

• Like Like x 2
  12. J. R.'s Piece
    No Mood

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Original Member Since:
    Feb 2007
    To be honest, I enjoy Marco Polo and The Aztecs a lot. It is The Sensorites and The Keys of Marinus that I'm not fond of. Even Terry Nation used to knock The Keys of Marinus, which he wrote.