The Case For Season 10 Being The Most Destructive Season To The Dallas Series Ever

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +444
    In season 10 the people in charge of what happens on the show couldn't have done much more to alienate viewers even if that had been their intent. Here is the evidence:

1. They asked the viewers to accept the return of Bobby who had "died" in season 8, because his death as well as season 9 were only a bad dream Pam had.

2. After a promising strengthening of the Ray-Donna marriage, they decide to completely undo that and have them divorce which will lead to Susan Howard being cut from the show before too much longer.

3. In a shocking turn away from the Ewing tradition of unity in the face of adversity - perhaps the family's greatest quality, Miss Ellie tells Bobby and JR they are on their own now, that Ewing Oil should have died with Jock and warns them both never to talk about Jock in her presence ever again.

4. They have the Ewings lose Ewing Oil - a company as important to the Dallas saga as one of the actual characters - to the government.

5. They have Ray start a romance with Jenna since of course she's going to have Bobby's baby, and Bobby's brother being his son's stepfather and bringing Jenna, Charlie and Lucas over to dinners at Southfork wouldn't be awkward at all. But of all the women in the world, Jenna is the only woman who will do as far as Ray is concerned.

6. They get rid of Deborah Shelton who is one of the two most beautiful looking women on the show along with Victoria Principal. Apparently Mandy just didn't have Cally's unique qualities which made her their choice for JR's next wife.

7. After getting rid of Deborah Shelton, why not get rid of the other one of the two most beautiful women on the show since after all, gorgeous women don't attract male viewers at all, right? So they had Pam crash into an oil truck and get burned beyond recognition in an accident which would have simply killed any mortal human being. Not Pam though! She's left in a kind of limbo where she hasn't exactly died, but we just never see Victoria Principal again on Dallas. They didn't just have the character killed because they wanted to avoid making any dumb mistakes!!! After all, they have the utmost respect for their viewers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +764
    They way they handled Pam's exit is the single most destructive moment in Dallas.

Not Patrick Duffy's return, which still did damage the credibility of the show & was probably the instigator for many of the viewers to tune out.

The writing in season eleven, where Pam apparently survived the crash was laughable. The way she disappeared from the hospital with Bobby unwilling to go find her was also laughable. Bobby declared Pam a closed page on his life where she wasn't to be mentioned again. Only Miss Ellie seemed to be concerned although briefly. Then Pam divorces him via a letter.

The show lost it's way big time when Victoria Principal left. Patrick Duffy's return probably had an effect on Principal to go because Pam became a shadow of herself in season ten. She was upset about Jenna's baby which is understandable but I felt they dragged that storyline out. In effect Pam just became Mrs. Bobby Ewing and there wasn't much the Producer's wanted to do with the character in that season. I'm not surprised Victoria left.

The good storylines that season were the apparent return of Jock Ewing. A shame this wasn't resolved conclusively. The B.D. Calhoun storyline & J.R. losing Ewing Oil because of it. When Pam crashed Bobby's Mercedes SL into the tanker I fully expected the character to be dead in the following season. So imagine my surprise when she wasn't.

It's still a good season though, but the least said about season eleven the better because that's when the rot set in! ;) :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,474
    Season 10 (per DVD count) was one of the best four years of all of DALLAS, and may have the most frequent rewatch value of all, just because it's so much fun.

The only complaint I really have about it was the dream explanation which opened the season (which is a huge deal, admittedly) but they could have handled it -- better -- in a one episode explanation and still be off and running with the plots from that year.

Most of the reasons the OP lists as the year's "problems" don't really make much sense to me, but I guess they might to someone who's watching the show for other reasons than I do.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,512
    Of the 1986-1991 era of DALLAS, season 10 is fairly decent, I just wish they would have found a better way to bring Bobby back other than the dream, this was DALLAS not DYNASTY, it was better than that.

However after several viewings I do like most of the storylines, especially the BD Calhoun storyline, I even liked the Wes Parmalee storyline, despite its messy resolution.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Pretty much agree with all of this. For me Season 10 is far from the worst and has some crackin' plots & stories. On the downside axing Ray & Donna's adoption story from the Dream season was savage and they both deserved better. But far worse was to come which would seriously alienate viewers and bring Dallas crashing down.

And it was all down to greed power & money....of some of the cast.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,474
    "Oh, Bobby -- except for this one stupid scene, the year's going to be great...!"

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +764
    It truly was the last great season of Dallas for two reasons:

Victoria Principal & Susan Howard.

Pamela Barnes Ewing was integral to the format of the show. She was the core & the linking nexus to the main storylines of the show, losing this character was detrimental to Dallas & it lost it's way because of it.

Whilst Susan was not an original cast member she did bring a lot of gravatas & dignity to the character of Donna Culver Krebbs. She was a great companion for Miss Ellie & a terrific wife for Ray Krebbs. Losing Susan because of her views regarding the dream season was just a very political & petty decision by the Lorimar Television top brass. They did the show no favours by letting her go & bringing in Priscilla Presley who in my opinion looks lovely but can't act for toffee. Susan Howard was a far better actress. :(

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    I'll add there were three destructive moments in Dallas.

1. Replacing Barbara Bel Geddes as Miss Ellie.
    2. The resurrection of Bobby Ewing.
    3. And Pam's exit.
    It still baffles me today how a show like Dallas - at the top of its game - got it all so wrong. After several strong seasons something (behind the scenes) went amiss and I'd still like to get the person responsible and slap them like Pam did to Katherine...then slowly walk away :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,512
    Season 10 was the last season that felt like it was really DALLAS, though it was far from the classic era of 1978-1984 (S1-7) JR was menacing this season, though to be fair JR did remain ruthless up to the end of season 11.

But season 10 does undo alot of the excellent character development that season 9 brought to us viewers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,474
    For me, the character development of S9 (per DVD count) was PC but not legitimate. It was posing. Although the dream scenario which closed it was obviously disastrous.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +764
    I'm afraid the fickle finger of fate get's pointed straight at both Leonard Katzman & Larry Hagman.

Larry ended up with too much power on the show & it wasn't always used for the better of the show.

Katzman had creative differences with Philip Capice on how to produce the show. I take the view that others have postulated that both Capice & Katzman both worked well together. When Capice was ousted , Katzman got free rein & ran the show the way he wanted & again it wasn't always the best way for the show.

Yes, replacing Barbara with Donna Reed was indeed a bad decision. The whole debacle with it left sour grapes made worse by poor Donna's death the following year. She was treated shoddily by Lorimar. And yes, Duffy returning destroyed any credibility in the storylines with the viewers when they made out that it was all a dream by poor Pam. You could certainly argue that it was this stupid plot development which made Victoria Principal decide to walk out the door & away from the series. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,604
    I think it was more the way these things were done.

1. BBG had to be replaced because Miss Ellie could not be killed off without removing the last steadying force on the family. But it could have been done without such an overhaul to her personality.

2. Bobby's return was in many ways a good and popular move - but the dream never was.
    3. Maybe Pam's exit could have been avoided. I have always argued for a recast. Or perhaps, as Via suggests, with a better post-return storyline Victoria might not have left. In the event, the aftermath could certainly have been handled better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,474
    You appear to be a re-cast proponent. But how often to recasts of core characters ever work in prime time?

14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    They don't, in my opinion. Daytime soaps do it all the time however is judgement day not too far off for them. When a character has been recast for the umpteenth time have the producers taken it a step too far and begin to alienate the viewers. There is something about primetime soaps I expect better from. They're a few steps up on the quality ladder from their daytime soap cousins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,322
    I have to disagree as I love season ten. It was a strong season with most of the original cast still on board. I did miss Lucy this season and I think Ray and Donna's break up was stupid. But except for that I really loved it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Another embarrassing own goal on the part of the producers. By this stage I could see the writing on wall. This and other favorite character departures. They may as well have renamed the show, The JR & Bobby Ewing Show. That = boring!

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,457
    Even though I mostly like season 10, I hear ya when it comes to being mad about a show suddenly taking away your favorite eye candy. I got all excited at the beginning of season ten after seeing Jack in the opening credits. And then he just leaves after a few episodes and never comes back! I was like, "WTH, Dallas!?" It was bad enough when Mitch left (and to get teased by a one-episode appearance of him in season 11) back in season 8. But then they had to deprive me of Jack, too! And then there were no more hot guys except for James and that psycho Tommy McKay, because JR and Bobby were too old in the later seasons!

• Like Like x 2
  18. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I know that people get tired of hearing this, but the void Principal left was simply too much.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +764
    The void she left was never going to be filled.

The character of Pam was crucial to the shows format.

Once she left, the show had to be took in a different direction. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,322
    I think it's funny how you think Bobby was too old but Jack was eye candy because Dack Rambo was like 8 years older than Patrick!;)

I agree with you about James being hot though. I also thought Bobby was too old in the final seasons when I first watched the show. He was like my parents age so I never found him good looking or anything. Now however when I am in my 30s myself I find Bobby to be handsome in the later seasons too. Funny how age can do that to you!

• Like Like x 1