1. Festive Names

Do you want to change your name to something festive ?

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice
  2. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

The character....Or the actor?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Sarah, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,800
    Medals:
    Just had a thought last night while watching some Dallas episodes - do have a preference between the character and the actor that played them?

For example, you might hate JR but love Larry Hagman? Not a fan of Victoria Principal, but love Pam?

I love Linda Gray and I also love Sue Ellen - both top of my list but appreciate how drastically different they are. I think Marilee Stone is horrid, but Fern Fitzgerald is one of the nicest stars I've ever met. Maybe Miss Ellie is your favourite character but BBG isn't top of your acting list?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts!

2. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I haven't been fortunate enough to meet any of the cast members of Dallas! :( Thus, my starting point is quite different from yours! :think:

If you're referring to their acting skills in other show, movies, etc., I honestly don't think that I'd be able to rank them. ... LOL ... I love pretty much the entire cast, but for different reasons! They all did a great job at making me "believe" in the character that they were asked to play! ;)

3. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Very interesting question Sarah! Patrick tries too hard to be "on" during interviews, l prefer Bobby's natural ease and charm. Early street smart Pam and Victoria seem to be a lot alike and I prefer them both to the later neurotic Pam. Lucy and Charlene share the same spunk and I like that. Steve and Ray are both down to earth and sitting down with both for burgers and beer seems like it would be fun. Linda seems more gracious than Sue Ellen, but I think an occasional shopping and lunch get together with either of them would be more than enough. Jim and Jock remind me of my grandfather, rough around the edges products of their generation who are teddy bears inside. Both Barbara and Miss Ellie seem like someone you could seek advice and good stories from. Donna and Susan remind me of my aunt, someone good to have in your corner. Ken is very nice in person, definately prefer him to Cliff. Although I do agree with Morgan Brittany's politics, I don't like her junior high jealous school girl coy innuendo without any evidence gossip spreading about Victoria, and I never liked the way Katherine schemed against Pam. Same thing with Sheree Wilson, another Queen Bee wanna be out to coyly trash Victoria without any evidence, and April was one of the most annoying characters who overstayed her welcome. As for Morgan Fairchild, I prefer her spot on portrayal of Jenna to her personally.

• Like Like x 2
  4. The Holiday Whore

The Holiday Whore Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,883
    Medals:
    What has she said about Victoria?

5. Piggy It's Kermit Outside

Piggy It's Kermit Outside Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,171
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    In 2012 Morgan Brittany said during the interview for my site:

"I loved the scene with Pam in my bedroom when she confronts me about Bobby and then slaps me. We had such fun!" (Notice she didn´t say: "Then Victoria went and slapped the hell out of me. And it was obvious she was having such fun". So Morgan and Victoria have nothing bad to say about each other. Or read whatever you want. Period)

More (but not on Victoria) here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mundodallases2/exclusive-interviews/morgan-brittany

• Like Like x 3
  6. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,290
    Medals:
    You always sensed there was a lot of JR in Larry. And not much Pam in Victoria. Patrick seems a lot looser than smug and stuffy Bobby. BBG probably had a wee bit less of Miss Ellie's maddening passive-aggression. I assume Jim Davis was Jock Ewing with a dirtier mouth and a lot less money. Ken Kercheval seems less insane than Cliff --- especially nuDALLAS' Cliff! Linda Gray seems more introspective than Sue Ellen, but then she'd have to be!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheWorldaStage

TheWorldaStage Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +50
    This is going sound strange to some of you, but when I first watched I did not appreciate J.R. as a villain. I thought he was totally overrated.

Keep in mind, I was born in the late 80s and although I was aware of the show, I had not seen DALLAS until 2013. By then, the television landscape had already been influenced by its predecessors who paved the way. So I did not get the same initial novelty or surprise factor.

However, I fully understood J.R. had broke the mold for TV "villains" and is one of a kind.

As time went on, and now on a second rewatch, I can finally appreciate J.R. much more as I seem to have somehow isolated the subconscious comparisons.

8. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +533
    She has alluded to Victoria being difficult while conveniently never providing any specific incidents to back up her innuendo. Sheree Wilson has run the same game of alluding to Victoria's "royal" behavior followed only of course with "That's all I'll say, tee hee hee.". I take anything either of them say about Victoria with a grain of salt because they were in competition with her for screen time and likely don't want any of their own "royal" behavior and zero interest in getting along with Victoria exposed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. southfork88

southfork88 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,426
    Dallas-231-S10xE09--Bells Are Ringing--November 14, 1986 0332.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. southfork88

southfork88 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings: