SoapLand - The Battle Of The Character's Exit: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    Which character had the most satisfying or most heartrending or most creative exit?

upload_2017-11-15_16-20-8.png

This is not about death scenes, but it doesn't matter if the character dies at a later time (off-screen).

Some of them fled SoapLand, some of them tried their luck elsewhere, and some of them just stopped "being there".

upload_2017-11-15_16-38-33.png

• Like Like x 5
  2. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +105
    OMG There are too many
    1. Dynasty...The Nightmare, also for me a nightmare: Pamela Sue Martins exit and Fallons Car crash
    2. Dynasty...Claudias dead in the fire and the previous cut scene with Lindsays picture
    3. Dynasty...Cecils heartatack and the wedding on his deathbed
    4. Dynasty...Dana spends the night with Adam before she leaves
    5. Dynasty...Josephs suicide
    6. Falcon Crest...crazy Melissa sets Angelas house on fire and Lance saves her, and then she dies...a shock! Loved Ana Alicia
    7. Dynasty...Steven kills Matthew
    8. Knots Landing...Cj`s dead body on the beach
    9. Dallas...April getting shot in Paris
    10. Dynasty...Krystle waves goodbye, before she and Blake are leaving for Switzerland

• Like Like x 3
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +913
    Sorry I confused. The way I read what @Willie Oleson wrote would be NO ON-screen death scenes here in this category??? Please could you clarify? Thanks :) my answers would greatly vary depending on whether on screen deaths are included here or not

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    Yes, we've already done that:
    http://www.soapchat.net/threads/the-death-scenes.2977/
    Thanks for your list, phil. But this is about the characters, not the actors.
    If Steven hadn't been recast, this would have been my #1:

So beautiful and so sad in so many ways. It looks like Al Corley saying "damn you, Dynasty, damn you!"
    :(

I find reunion movies....optional, therefore, Krystle's adieu is eligible:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +913
    Thanks for clarifying. That was a great scene. Al Corley was right on the money. I like this category and look forward to see what people vote for. My number one is Mark’s last night with Pam before his plane crash. That was sad :-( it’s not counted but coronation street had some feel good farewells but sad to see them go like Hilda Ogden, it’s highest rated episode ever in 1987

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    1. Laura Avery Sumner's departure from Knots Landing. We were told she died off camera several episodes later, but we saw part of Greg die on screen as she drove away.

2. Abby (and Brian) depart for Japan, singing "Don't Worry Be Happy" (KL).

3. Richard takes one last look back before driving out of the cul-de-sac in the dead of night, leaving Laura believing he had killed Ciji (KL).

4. Mortal enemies Claudia and Anne, tired of the fighting, each decides to move to Monte Carlo, unaware of the other's decision (KL).

5. At the end of Season 13, Greg split his company up three ways and announced he was leaving Knots Landing. He ultimately reclaimed the company, but his resolution to leave it all behind to move to a cabin in Montana was an interesting cliffhanger. Bonus points for the jaw-drop reaction of Karen when she found out Meg had inherited one-third of the billion-dollar conglomerate.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    Then she was richer than Betsy & Bobby?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    1. Richard Avery leaves Knots Landing.
    upload_2017-11-16_3-4-6.png
    While the reason for Laura's departure was far more devastating, here we see one of The Neighbours leaving the cul-de-sac, destination unknown.
    It was a choice, and eventhough the circumstances were far from ideal, I found it unthinkable he would actually make that choice.
    I would almost describe it as "suicidal".

2. Laura Sumner leaves the ranch.
    upload_2017-11-16_3-15-53.png
    Because, well, it would have been my #1 if ex-husband Richard hadn't upstaged her.
    Forgive me.

3. Cole Gioberti leaves the Valley.
    upload_2017-11-16_3-17-57.png
    Vickie was back (sort of) but this felt like yet another end of yet another Falcon Crest era.
    There's something about mother/son-goodbyes that makes it extra emotional.

4. The Fishers leave Knots Landing.
    upload_2017-11-16_3-27-44.png
    After saying goodbye to the twins.
    This was a very interesting "twist", because at first they were portrayed as "the enemy", the people who kept Val and her babies separated.
    Sheila even displayed some unhinge-y behaviour after the babies had been returned to the Gibsons.
    Therefore, this scene just blew me away.

5. Black sheep-brother Trey Champion leaves The Yellow Rose.
    upload_2017-11-16_3-36-1.png
    Failure, disillusion and unfinished business. And he took the bus, I like that.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    If it had been any other show, the producers would have felt obligated to promote the idea that Harry and Sheila were villains, to make them "bad" to Val's "good". Such black-and-white storytelling on soaps is unfortunately the norm. Making the Fishers somewhat sympathetic toward the end was a brilliant way of giving the story even more layers.

I think the jaw-drop was the realization that she and Mack, acting as Meg's guardian/voting proxy, were now going to be a couple of "ugly capitalist pigs" just like Greg.

But yeah, Meg was now in line to have the biggest, blingiest backpack on the playground.

• Like Like x 1
  10. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Well ... DALLAS was super nice to John Ross’s kidnapper, a bereaved young mother, who stole him from the hospital when he was first born. In fact, she came across as more sympathetic than Sue Ellen, the kid’s actual mother, who wanted nothing to do with him at the time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,355
    Richard Avery
    Knots Landing
    Appropriately for the character, his main departure felt very unexpected, low key and full of resonance. It was a unique experience to watch someone leave without a word, breaking free of convention and propriety to simply vanish into the night. Richard's final look round and drive down the Circle feels like a watershed for me. It's like he senses that the show will have outgrown the cul de sac by morning and is saddened by the idea. Who'd have thought upwardly mobile Richard of all people would be the one to be the one whose absence is synonymous with the break from the intimate sense of community.

As a bonus, Richard's departure from his two episode return guest-stint was almost as memorable. Once again he departed on a note of bitterness and exclusion, this time under the condescending gazes of the Mackenzies. "I hate that she died alone". Perfect.

Laura Avery-Sumner
    Knots Landing
    Chills. The disgraceful show of Connie McC's firing adds layers to this and it's a tribute to the professionalism of everyone concerned that some of the series' best scenes came from it. It's ironic that with Richard's departure acknowledging the show's move into full serialised soapiness, Laura's departure went back to basics and condensed her final arc into pretty much one hugely satisfying episode. The poignancy of her conversations with loved ones. The dark humour of Laura's farewell party: the inappropriate song choice and that brilliant moment where she rested her head on the table in resignation, gifting her friend Karen with the opportunity to get melodramatically panicked. The pain of her walking out on her husband and crying infant daughter and taking that lonely drive to the great cul de sac in the sky.

Lilimae Clements
    Knots Landing
    Oh - the concern I felt that Al's rickety old mobile home wouldn't safely get them more than two miles. Like Richard before her, all of Lilimae's grand ideas had given way to a desire for simplicity and happiness. This is a beautiful and cheery little scene, which is quite incredible given the sadness of Julie Harris's enforced departure. And somehow the sunny warmth, and smiling familial love of the scene is made even more meaningful by contrasting it with Greg's solitary midnight phone call.

Abby Ewing-Sumner
    Knots Landing
    There are very few characters in Soapland that could get away with singing Bobby McFerrin a cappella as a parting shot. I didn't even think Abby would be able to... until I saw it. It captured the humour and frivolity of the character so well. She arrived as a slightly frazzled parent in a car and departed the same way - albeit under very different circumstances.

Like Richard, Abby's two-episode return ended with another fantastic exit. If anything, her round two exit was even more memorable, giving the final scene of the series a great twist and delivering the most perfect final line.

Garrison Southworth
    Dallas
    The long shot of he and Ellie surveying the land on which they grew up together felt so right, and I liked that what followed was left entirely up to the audience's imagination.

How very Peyton Place of him.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    There's something so humble about a soap departure by bus, and it's almost never a happy ending.
    Somehow, The SoapBus seems to embody loss, defeat or despair - or all of these.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    1. Laura Avery-Sumner leaves KNOTS LANDING to die.
    2. Peter Stavros escapes a murder charge by fleeing FALCON CREST with Skylar but leaves Angela with a bombshell letter telling her Richard is her son.
    3. Nancy Scotfield leaves DALLAS triumphantly after bringing down Ewing Oil.
    4. Cole Gioberti dockside goodbye to his family as he leaves FALCON CREST to go sailing.
    5. Richard Avery silently leaves KNOTS LANDING, putting a photo of him and Laura in his bag before he goes.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    1. Dallas: Sue Ellen leaves on a high (albeit with a small man) in her triumphant Dallas finale, 1989. I broke my young heart but she went out in style. (Heartwrenching because I love her so much and was with her through her entire journey, but also creative!)

2. Dallas: Sue Ellen fires that no good nasty tramp Mandy Winger - cheerio now! Don't let the door hit you in the face on the way out! (Creative, thanks to Sue Ellen ;) but heartwrenchingly happy that she is FINALLY OUT OF MY FACE )
    3. Dallas: Vanessa decides it's not a good idea to hang around and she's right - bye bye now! (Heartwrenchingly happy - now do go away dear)
    4. Dallas: James and his ilk decide to follow her - alright then! (As above, pain in the ass)
    5. Dallas: April's death - I loved April and was so sad when she died, but the scene was heartwrenching, very sad. (Heartwrenching)
    6. Dallas: Pam writing Bobby the letter saying she wasn't coming back - I was so sad for Bobby. (Heartwreching for Bobby and Christopher)

I haven't included Miss Ellie because we were never given a proper chance to say goodbye to her in the original series :(

• Like Like x 6
  15. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +951
    1) Laura Avery Sumner: One of the most poignant farewells in the land of 80’s primetime T.V. Laura was a SeaView Circle original and a very popular character, who just drove off away from the infamous cul-de-sac, after a heart wrenching ta ra – KNOTS LANDING.
    2) Sue Ellen Ewing Lockwood: After many ups and downs with the man himself JR the former Miss Texas now a business woman in her own right had one last parting shot. Her movie about the Ewing family didn’t hit the screens but it made JR squirm – DALLAS.
    3) Cole Gioberti: The hard working Gioberti lad decided to up sticks and go down under, setting sail in his boat. Maggie, Chase, Vicki and 2nd cousin Lance were there to wave him off – FALCON CREST.
    4) Julia Cumson: Initially a wine chemist, who then turned to murder, became a jailbird and with a little help from Father Curtis became a nun. After the traumatic earthquake and some time convalescing with the family at FC Julia decided to return to the convent for good. She was mentioned occasionally but never seen again – FALCON CREST.
    5) Ray Krebbs: Ray was the down to earth cowboy, who was originally married to Donna. Jock’s lovechild then later took up with one of his half brother Bobby’s old flames Jenna Wade. He had a ready made family, with Jenna. They decided to leave the oil and cattle, to set up home in Europe – DALLAS.

Sue Ellen and JR have just finished viewing Sue Ellen’s movie, a kind of ‘about Dallas within Dallas’, spearheaded by Don Lockwood. The wig step i.e. court soon crops up as things turn heated, (a scene from season 11, DVD-12, 1988-’89):

Sue Ellen: “You see you have nothing to worry about. I have no intention of releasing the film, at the moment.”

JR: “What the hell does that mean?”

Sue Ellen: “It means that the movie will be locked up securely in a vault. But if I hear that you’re coming after me, or if you cross me for any reason, or if I feel you’re not doing right by John Ross, or anyone else for that matter, or if I get up on the wrong side of the bed one morning, or if I’m simply bored then I release the movie and then JR will be the laughing stock of Texas.”

The former Miss Texas goes to leave Dallas and JR but has one last parting shot.

JR: “Sue Ellen!”

Sue Ellen: “You’ll never know if or when I plan to make it public, just for laughs.”

JR stands alone in the middle of the cinema, Stetson in hand and looks at the big screen, (fade to black, the theme music and the credits).

• Like Like x 6
  16. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +982

17. Victoriafan3

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +913
    1. Mark Graison’s tear eyed farewell to Pam as he spent one last special night with her
    2. Krystle beautifully leaves dynasty
    3. Sue Ellen leaves dallas
    4. Holly Harwood left dallas appropriately with a sense of grace and conclusion :-(
    5=steeeeal me awaaay finally had enough of cliff in Dallas in 1984
    5=Dana left dynasty in ‘88 (several good characters left in that final year)

Honourable mention to dynasty’s steven in 1988 aswell

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  18. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    1. Laura Avery Sumner - Knots Landing
    2. Richard Avery - Knots Landing
    3. Abby Ewing Sumner - Knots Landing
    4. Mark Graison - Dallas
    5. Cole Gioberti - Falcon Crest

• Like Like x 6
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,106
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Finally I´m able to post in the board...

My Top Five:

1- Mark Graison (Dallas Season 6)
    2- Laura Sumner (Knots Landing Season 9)
    3- Julia Cumson (Falcon Crest Season 3)
    4- Holly Harwood (Dallas Season 6)
    5- Cassandra Wilder (FC Season 5)

• Like Like x 8
  20. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,071
    This has been a difficult round as I tend to remember exits I didn't like more than the ones I did, or the one's where a character dies. So, I'm grateful for everyone else's lists to jog my memory. (Btw I see some entries are not necessarily final exits so a few of mine aren't either)

1. Kristin Shepherd: Despite being revealed as having shot JR, her shock revelation means she manages to leave town with no charges being filed and with a nice little allowance to keep her going.

2. Katherine Wentworth: Katherine skips town but not before having a showdown with Cliff and telling him how much pleasure she took in framing him for attempted murder.

3. Laura Avery leaves to die in possibly one of soaps saddest exits.

4. Mark Graison spends one last night with Pam before leaving to die.

5. Richard Avery bids farewell to the cul-de-sac under a cloud of suspicion.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2