SoapLand - The Battle Of The characters you can't stand - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I agree about Aunt Lil. Lovely...in a Norma Bates kind of way.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. phil colby

phil colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +119
    1. Dallas- Ray Krebs
    2. Dallas- Jamie Ewing
    3. Falcon Crest- Sarah Douglas
    4. Knots Landing- Lilimae Clemens
    5. Knots Landing- Karen Mc Kenzie
    6. Dynasty- Joanna Sills

• Like Like x 4
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    At risk of forgetting someone eye-rollingly unbearable to watch I’ll go with...

1. April Stevens Dallas beyond description
    2 Charlie Wade Dallas ugh
    3 Jenna Wade III. Dallas vastly outstayed her welcome
    4 Terri garbers character whose name escapes me dynasty (oh, she had me climbing the walls in despair as to what this once great show had been reduced to)
    5 Jackie Deveraux Dynasty utterly inane, I went into shut down mode when watching her scenes)
    6. Ben Carrington Dynasty
    7. Amanda II Dynasty, bad producers letting Catherine go like that
    8. Leslie Stewart Dallas
    9. Alex Ward Dallas
    10. King Galen Dynasty (oh look, those least two were the same person, how could that’ve happened? ;-)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I think that the producers and writers brought in these characters for viewers who like to watch commercials. That way, said viewers can go put the kettle on and make a cuppa whenever April and Charlie and friends appear on screen ;-)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,628
    1. Charlie Wade - DALLAS - quite simply the most ghastly creation in the history of soap operas. Hideous character on just about every level with an annoyance factor that was off the Richter scale.
    [​IMG]

2. Apollonia - FALCON CREST - so annoying that the real reason Lance started to wear sunglasses was so he wouldn't be recognised with her.
    [​IMG]

3. Laurel Ellis - DALLAS - dreadful, just dreadful! Awful storyline, awful character and awful acting. Absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever, just ghastly.
    [​IMG]

4. Charley St James - FALCON CREST - a character so annoying that he singlehandedly killed my enjoyment of the final season of Falcon Crest. He was so awful that he made me start to dislike the otherwise adorable Emma for bringing him into the show.
    [​IMG]

5. Julio Sanchez -FLAMINGO ROAD - about as exciting as a piece of limp lettuce. He was meant to be Constance's love interest in season 2 but he seemed to be more in love with his over-teased hairdo.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    Oh yes. Get it out of ye.

All Dallas... and not surprisingly at No 1 is.....

1. Mandy Winger - I LOATHE the bitch (as if that wasn't obvious) and am in total agreement with Deborah Shelton who described her as a 'manipulative homewrecker'. Spot on. Nasty, self obsessed bitch. I detest her. Like the world owed her a living. Me me me. F away off. And die. Preferably painfully somewhere. Would stab her own granny if she felt she'd benefit and whether you love or hate Sue Ellen, the way she spoke to Sue Ellen was unacceptable. But it backfired on her - big style. Sue Ellen didn't need to resort to such nastiness - Mandy was a nasty bastard who thought she was better than anyone else. The day her contract got ripped up was the happiest day of my life - it's just a shame Sue Ellen didn't shove it up her colon. I'd have strangled her with it. If there was one Dallas character I'd do time for (apart from Sue Ellen), it's her.

2. Vanessa Beaumont - I have never been quite as bored by a character or found a storyline so unbelievable. Total snoozefest.
    3. Holly Harwood - horrible, evil bitch. Had no regard for anyone or anything but her own little schemes. Complete lack of conscious or caring.
    4. Afton Cooper - by far THE most hypocritical character on the show (ok with exceptions of JR at times). Cheap and just yucky.

I realise these 4 'women' have had relations with JR - but believe it or not, it isn't the main reason for my complete dislike of them. It's more to do with their personalities and treatment of Sue Ellen in particular. Vanessa aside - I was disgusted at that storyline and just found her a total borebag. I'm sure anyone would feel the same if it was, for example, Pam or another favourite on the receiving end - for example the hatred for Jenna and April that exists is probably similar.

Many of the 12-13 season cast are REALLY hard to take so have tried not to make this all about them...

5. James Beaumont - awful acting, and again an ubelievable storyline. Hated how he just came into Southfork and acted like he was owed something. Sarcastic, annoying twat.
    6. Michelle Stevens - just bugs the living crap out of me with the way she speaks and acts.
    7. Oswald Valentine - at times funny but most of the time just reallllllllllllly annoying.
    8. Wilson Cryder - like seriously?? Stripogram anyone?
    9. Marilee Stone - should be higher on the list really but have met and love Fern Fitzgerald, who helped soften an otherwise harsh opinion of the pain in the ass character.
    10. On to TNT - Pamela Rebecca (please can we stop with the PamBecca thing). Hateful, horrible person. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

11. Special honorary mention to - Pam Ewing. Feel the need to issue a disclaimer with this one but at times, sorry, Pam got on my last nerve. I know she's a firm favourite, but the constant whining and not wanting Bobby to find happiness without her is very annoying.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,036
    1) James Beaumont – DALLAS
    2) Charley St. James – FALCON CREST
    3) Nick Agretti – FALCON CREST
    4) Charlie Wade – DALLAS
    5) Rose McKay - DALLAS

James goes to visit his daddy in the sanatorium. He goes armed with three documents; Cally’s divorce papers, a property settlement and JR’s all important release papers, (the finale scene of season 12, DVD-13, 1989 – ’90):

……. James: “It’s funny you look right at home here.”

JR: “Well enjoy it while you can but I’m going to destroy both of you! You’re gonna regret the day you ever met me boy.”

James: “No threats JR!”

JR: “This is not a threat. This is a guarantee. Now you get me the hell outta here, you little bastard.”

James: “No way daddy! Its payback time and you’re in for good.”

JR: “What?”

Orderly: “Easy Mr. Ewing!”

JR: “He’s got my release papers.”

James tares up the release papers in front of JR while saying, “Not any more.”

Four orderlies have to restrain JR, as they cart him off shouting and kicking.

JR: “What are you doing to me?”

James: “Enjoy your stay!”

The ward doors open and JR keeps shouting, “You little bastard! You’re filth!”

Freeze frame on a smiling James; fade to black, the credits and then the closing theme.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Romain

Romain Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not sure which shows are supposed to be included or left out, so I'll pick across all primetime soaps I've seen from Peyton Place to Melrose Place

1) Dr. Claire Morton, Peyton Place

She is so freaking annoying. The woman can't seem to make up her mind on whether she wants a divorce and a relationship with Mike or if she should get back together with her estranged husband. And Mariette Hartley's lifeless voice gets on my last nerve.

2) Lindsay Blaisdel, Dynasty

For crying out loud, will she ever shut the F*** up about being born out of wedlock? Do some simple math, idiot! Subtract your own age from your mother's, you'll find out she was 16 and unlikely to be married when you came into this world. Everything about her annoys me to no end, from the lousy "detective work", pretending to be on a date to spy on Claudia to the ridiculous claim that she's supposed to "pig out" on cookies before dinner. As far as teenagers from Hell are concerned, I personally find her way worse than Diana Fairgate.

3) Dr. Brett Cooper, Melrose Place

The guy is a creep who preys on comatose women, first Kimberly, then Megan. His vendetta against Michael makes absolutely zero sense, and his holier-than-thou attitude towards his ex-wife Lexi, who he ends up trying to kill, is laughable at best. Don't get me started on his on-again off-again rivalry with Peter. As his portrayer Linden Ashby put in in the E! True Hollywood Story about the show when discussing his exit, "three evil doctors is one too many" and he definitely was the superfluous one.

4) Kelly Taylor, Beverly Hills, 90210

Your all-purpose poor little rich girl of choice, this spoiled brat went through everything from joining a cult to a cocaine addiction to a rape, while being a self-centered hypocrite with an holier-than-thou attitude towards those she deemed unworthy of breathing the same air as her. The girl betrayed her best friend Brenda by stealing her boyfriend behind her back, then found a way to get offended every single time Valerie or Gina so much as entered a room where any male character she hung out with stood. And let's not forget that time she got upset because a gay couple was adopting a baby whose teenage mother she had tried to talk out of putting her child up for adoption.

5) Mandy Winger, Dallas

Beautiful but annoying as Hell and absolutely brainless. She definitely outstayed her welcome.

I'll throw a couple of extra ones in, just in case some of the ones I picked are not eligible. Should that be the case, just take them in the order I've listed them and give them the amount of points that would go to whichever character they're replacing.

Walter Lankershim, Dynasty

I hated how he gave himself permission to interfere in Steven's private life and took him to a whorehouse. Whoever Steven sleeps with is none of your damn business, back off, jerk!

Danny Waleska, Knots Landing
    I understand his storyline had to be fast-paced, but his relationship with Valene progressed far too quickly for me. I will never forgive the writers for having her say she had "never loved any man" this much before. "NOT EVEN GARY." ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME? And of all the despicable things Danny did, from killing poor Pat to abducting Gary and making him drink himself to near death, the most awful to me is when he told Bobby that Gary wasn't his uncle. It wasn't his place to let the twins know about their true parentage.

Hopefully you can work with that, if not just let me know and I'll try to think of an extra few. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,446
    It's really only characters from the 80's prime time soaps we're looking for Romain, so you get one more entry.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Romain

Romain Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +81
    OK, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure because someone included Christopher Ewing from the Dallas revival. :)
    Anyway, in that case, I'll just add my voice to the chorus and throw a vote to:

Charlie Wade, Dallas

Is she even remembered for anything other than having a boyfriend played by Brad Pitt for a couple of episodes? Annoying as Hell and Shalane McCall was incompetent as an actress.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,446
    Last day to vote for the characters you can't stand. I for one am very curious to see what the final top 5 looks like for this one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,446
    With so many characters to choose from, and the choices very much about personal taste this time, the points were spread out among many characters and our top 5 is actually a top 7.

1. Charlie Wade (Dallas) and Apollonia (Falcon crest) 14 points

charlie02.jpg falcon-crest.jpg

2. Diana Fairgate (Knots Landing) 13 points

575017dc4be64b616bcc359bbe52d061--knots-landing-diana.jpg

3. Jamie Ewing (Dallas) 12 points

eb43e178d318ddd06e1dc209dbc5b97d--dallas-tv.jpg

4. Charles Scott (Knots Landing) 11 points

MVA84505.jpeg

5. April Stevens (Dallas) and Carly Fixx (Falcon Crest) 10 points

Dallas_April_Stevens_Ewing.jpg falcon-crest (1).jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,853
    Richard, you have a joker-vote because you've started this thread.
    Charlie or Apollonia?:)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,446
    I think this one has to go to Charlie because more people voted for her than for Apollonia. Also she was around a lot longer and on the soap with much higher ratings, so she annoyed the hell out of a much larger percentage of the world's population.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,994
    But an argument can then be made that the Babylonia Creature ought to claim the title because she had less time to make an impact, and was on a less-viewed program---but still managed to score the same points as a more-often-viewed, longer-lived character. Quality over Quantity...or maybe "quality" is the wrong word. o_O "Potency"?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    Now you are accepting bribes from the soap characters, KKC? This is the only way that April couldn´t get to the top in this poll...though Charlie was even more slappable and, also, hugged Bobby too much for a teenager...:eek::p

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    Yeah, "potency" for disaster...too bad Apo didn´t stay until the earthquake to have a proper ending...:tv2::clap:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,446
    That's an interesting point. And an argument could be made that Babylonia may still be irritating radio listeners to this day through her music. I think @The Wise Willie From Oleson we are gonna have to call it a draw and give a point to both Dallas and Falcon Crest for this battle.

Or should Dynasty win for not having a single character in the top 7? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,994
    The judges have spoken, and....
    upload_2017-12-6_20-6-46.jpeg

That's what you get for being so judgey!

20. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,853
    I think the best way to approach this is to give the soap with the "winning" character a penalty point. -1 o_O

• Like Like x 1