The Colbys, Dominique & Their Future

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by ChrisSumner, Nov 1, 2018.

1. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +164
    As of now I have no spoilers so I didn't put a spoiler tag on this, but if something changes I'll update the thread to warn people! I just wanted to see everybody's thoughts when it comes to the Colbys. I personally grew to love them and the portrayal not only as black, but blacks of African descent and their wild, glam fashion choices. I feel Monica and Jeff are the two most under developed characters on the show, but the potential is definitely there.

When season one ended we of course learned that their mother, obviously Dominique is Blake's sister. I often felt in season one that this family lacked an anchor. Soaps are generational and not having that type of background limits what you can do with Jeff and Monica as we've seen. One way they could've put off Dominique's arrival is actually by integrating them into the Carrington family, instead we have this stuff with the Van Kirk's.

In the episode three thread there's discussion about how this show throws out twists but rarely follows up which is the thing that most bothers me. I like most of the storylines, I like how they're reinterpreted the characters and I do enjoy the twists, but on a soap a twist has to serve a purpose. If you continue to throw out twists with no pay off then the audience becomes numb to them and loses interest. Of course they're early into the season so they certainly have time to correct things, but looking at the episode descriptions for the next few episodes it seems like this particular story is still on the backburner.

What would yall like to see happen with The Colby's and potentially Dominque?

2. RottenSkipper17

RottenSkipper17 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Just get rid of them. It's pretty clear that the writers are not really that invested in them to begin with and they have been largely replaced by the Van Kirks. I think having them be half-Carringtons actually ruined any potential they might have had as characters because it basically limits them character wise, story wise and narrative wise. And personality wise, they are also pretty awful. I mean, Monica has to be the worst "best friend" on the entire planet to end up believing Kirby over the woman she supposedly calls her sister.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    I think the show is too "full" right now to give any justice to the arrival of Dominique. I think they have too much going on as it is. It would help new viewers (or "samplers") if they would focus instead on one or two stories (and the essential characters needed in that story) per episode rather than having every single character appear in every episode to 'check in' on all the stories. New viewers see these large party scenes and think "Who's that? Should I know who Fallon just spoke to? Is that character someone important?" when it might just as easily be an unnamed extra.

They can't even come up with legitimate reasons for Jeff to be around, and he's supposed to be an important part of the canvas (judging by his position in the opening titles). I'd hold off on bringing Dominique into the mix until there is a shortage of characters to drive stories--a problem they do not have at the moment.

4. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,786
    Where is NuDynasty's incest? How about some Jeff & Monica sex?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    Considering how two-dimensional they are, it would look someone using a pair of scissors.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,329
    Exactly. I'd wait until the Liam/Van Kirks, Hank and Melissa storylines are fully wrapped before introducing a potentially "big" character like Dominique. Otherwise she'd risk being sidelined almost immediatly and we'd have a repeat situation of what happened on the original show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,033
    Come on, what bigger homage to DYNASTY than to bring a big name to play Dominique and then just watch her waste away?

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    Oprah! And then do absolutely NOTHING with her! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,911
    I'm also in favour of removing the Colby clan. Time to focus attention on the Carrington family and let the others become secondary or pawns to the main event. I'm not sure why so many think the imminent arrival of Dominique would somehow create renewed interest in what is an already low rating series. I can recall many (on this site) just itching for the arrival of Alexis...and look how that has played out. We've just been introduced to Cristal Jennings and await to see how the writers will pair her and Blake together. I then want to watch how Alexis will react. Throwing in Dominique will just be another distraction.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +164
    The problem is, they continue to introduce new characters and stories so when would the right time be? Especially now with Steven’s paternity which is bound to get an immediate spotlight. You can’t keep introducing things without dealing with the problems you’ve already created.

11. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,033
    Unfortunately I think that the CW and Netflix have found a cushy deal with Peach Dynasty--the CW gets the fee money back from Netflix and the series costs less for Netflix to air than one of its own. As a result, though the show is beyond the bottom of the ratings, nobody cares.

But as to the Colby clan, though the show has actually made them a branch of the Carringtons, in the original they were an important element, and when the show made the mistake of killing Cecil, the show faced a dead-end soon. And let's not forget they created a whole extension out of thin air for the spin-off. So they are important to the DYNASTY myth, yet I agree that the show may simply not do anything worthwhile with Dominique.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018