The Colbys Writer Paul Huson Has Agreed To An Interview With Me

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Alexis, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    Oh, I think you misunderstood what I meant. Frankie was the evil fairy, and she stole Sable's heart when she stole Jason away.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    Thank you, @Alexis ! :D

I'm sure Bliss was mentioned in Season 9 at least once. Sable was talking about her old home, mentioning how both Miles and Bliss weren't there anymore (I always presumed Bliss went off with Kolya).

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,434
    I think "stole the heart" (from that Sabella novel) is more like stealing Ariel's voice. It's not like Ariel had nothing more to say, she just couldn't speak.

It broke Sable's heart when she found out that Frankie had always been Jason's One True Love, eventhough Frankie herself wasn't aware of that.
    She still had feelings for Jason, probably why she was so reluctant to return to California (the woman is a saint!) but she didn't know that he felt the same about her.
    There was no plot or scheme going on.

I meant that, without Miles and Monica, their dynasty would be reduced to only one heir (apart from Jeff), and not the most interesting one.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    You see it your way... I see it mine.

There are a lot of words I'd use to describe Frankie Colby. Saint wouldn't be one of them. She was more martyr complex than saint wasn't she? And that was on a good day.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,306
    As I have noted before, I can never decide whether you are extremely funny or extremely (choose your own eye-rolling adjective :D)

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,434
    I only mentioned "saint" to poke Alexis.
    No she was not a saint - she wasn't even as loveable as Krystle and she never even tried.
    But why should a person try to be loveable all the time? It's almost as if you're making an excuse for existing. "Smile, otherwise someone is going to be upset".

7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    It's not that deep Willie. lol I just hate the bitch.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,306
    It's funny, but Sable was even more multi-layered than Alexis though obviously that was their template, and they chose Krystle at her worst as a template and still created an emptier vessel. Though that may have more to do with the horrible actress (Ross) than the role--and the same can of course be true of why Sable turned out so mesmerizing.

9. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    I keep on thinking back to "Secrets of a Mother and Daughter", where Ross showed she would have been perfect to play a "Krystle" character who was also Alexis' cousin. Maybe I'm only seeing what I want to see, though. See for yourself, if you like:

10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,014
    Thank you for sharing @Alexis I enjoyed reading this interview. :)

Some interesting things in there. I agree about Fallon and the UFO plot. It was ridiculous and not a good ending for the show.

Interesting how the use of the character + cast contract always influenced the next season. I guess it makes a lot of sense.

I actually loved Miles & Channing together and would have wanted to see more of them.

Cool about Sable's name. Stephanie Beacham was the breakout star of this show for sure. :)

I agree that the Dynasty plot which changed the twins paternity cheapened the Colby's. I really didn't like that plot twist either. :(

Also I think the question where they compared The Colby to a Douglas Sirk melodrama was probably meant as a compliment to the Colbys but he didn't seem to get that!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,434
    OK, I get that. But how we feel about the characters isn't always what makes the story.
    Sable's tireless machinations to keep all that Colby money to herself (for Miles) caused a lot of friction between her and Jason. So much in fact that he probably would have divorced her anyway.
    Frankie's appearance accelerated the process because now he knew that something good was waiting for him after the divorce.

I understand why Sable was pissed off when Constance gave all her shares to Jeff, instead of giving all her nephews and nieces an equal share.
    However, since Miles (and Monica and Bliss) would inherit Andrew Colby's fortune through their father, and Jeff wouldn't, they would always have the majority of voting shares if they would inherit from their aunt too.
    Not that Monica and Bliss were his enemies, but Miles was their brother and, more importantly, Sable was their mother.
    And Constance knew that Sable would not rest until Miles was at the top of the Colby empire.
    Whatever it was that Frankie and Cecil had cooked up, and whatever what was going on between Jason and Sable and Connie, that was not Jeff's fault.

But Sable couldn't wait to see the back of her nephew, Frankie's son. Well, so much for sisterly love and concern.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +178
    She looks MUCH better than on "the Colbys" but her acting is still terribly limited...

13. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I also know for sure that the idea for the Colby Collection came from Douglas Cramer's own art collection :

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    Yes, I can't get over how pretty she looks in this. :D However, I disagree that her acting is "terribly" limited. Limited, yes, but compared to how she was on "The Colbys", her acting is much better here. After all, she's playing a widow who's still not quite over her husband's death, and yet guiltily aware of her own sexuality, and very much concerned about her adult daughter's life. That's a lot for one actor to juggle. And yet I get the impression Ross had a better understanding of that character; she seemed to play her like she knew what to do. However, when playing Francesca... it seemed like Ross didn't have any more idea of what the character was about then we the viewers do.

15. Brian Carrington Colby

Brian Carrington Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I just discovered this thread, and very much enjoyed reading your interview @Alexis !!

Some very interesting insights into the show revealed, especially concerning Barbara Stanwyck. Wow, it's kind of sad to read how things actually were with the actress. What with her failing health and her memory going, not to mention her ego, which seemed to go into overdrive as Season 1 progressed, Paul's explanations as to what was happening behind the scenes really shines a light on what was behind Stanwyck's venom once she left the show.

As to why Linda Evans never appeared on The Colbys, especially the wedding episode, I chalk it up to two things: no storyline involving Krystle to exploit on The Colbys, and secondly, money. The appearances of Blake, Dominique, and Adam all helped progress storylines on The Colbys. Steven's presence during the wedding episode was pretty light. He stood by Blake's side during business meetings, and had a cute scene with Fallon prior to the wedding (a throwback to the scene Fallon and Steven shared before Fallon's aborted wedding at the end of Season 4 of Dynasty). If Krystle appeared in this episode, really the only function she would serve would be to have a scene like Steven did, to give emotional support to Jeff and Fallon before the wedding. And with Linda Evans commanding a larger paycheck than Jack Coleman, in an episode that would already be expensive just by it featuring a wedding and all that involves to stage, not to mention having expensive John Forsythe "having" to appear to further story points along, besides the "cool" factor of having Krystle appear on The Colbys, really , the least expensive option was to bring Jack Coleman/Steven to LA and play the brother role to support Fallon and Jeff and fill the Bride's side of the wedding venue. That has always been my take on Linda Evans/Krystle never appearing on the spin-off.

I never knew that Huson and Bast were never coming back if Season 3 happened. Like some of you pointed out, if the show continued, would that of been good for the show, or not good? We'll never know for sure, beyond what Dynasty did to Colby history in Season 9 of Dynasty concerning Miles' and Monica's parentage, and Jason's reaction to that revelation. I never really liked that reveal, it seemed too convoluted and didn't really gell with what was established on The Colbys. That's just my opinion tho, and for others, it might work fine for them....

Thanks again @Alexis

• Like Like x 5
  16. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,306
    I saw some of it, and yes she is better than on THE COLBYS, but is there anyone out there who would be worse than her on THE COLBYS?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,306
    Out of curiosity, did anyone expect him to say, if that were indeed the case, "yes, the show was a turkey at the time, just like she said?" :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,348
    Well that depends. How did they want the character to be?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Michael Torrance

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,306
    The writers/producers? Or the audience? I wanted her gone. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Brian Carrington Colby

Brian Carrington Colby Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +79
    You know @Michael Torrance , you are not entirely wrong! :)

Of course, the truth is somewhere in the middle re: what the situation was with Barbara Stanwyck. But, from the beginning I don’t think it was smooth sailing with Stanwyck. Going from the top of my head, but didn’t she “joke” with no smile during an interview that she was doing the show because her house burned down and needed the money, and would say she thought Spelling burned her house down to get her to do the show? Not a great start...

And, from this 1985 People Magazine article on Stanwyck and The Colby’s, here from the get-go both producers and actors mention her difficult attitude towards the production, her ego, her demands for appearing on the show, her demands on the younger actors, not to mention her frail health. If she went forward with the show with a bad attitude, you can imagine what it was like dealing with her for the approx. 8 months of shooting it would take to make the show.

https://people.com/archive/cover-st...dium=email&utm_campaign=social-button-sharing

Stanwyck herself said that in part she left the show because she felt her part was underdeveloped. If her memory was failing and she couldn’t remember her lines, then what were the producers to do but reduce her role and make her scenes simpler so she could get through them.

And, as much as I hate to write this, even back in the 80s, youth dominated. Dynasty, and all the night-time soaps were anomalies in a way, in that “older” actors like Joan Collins, Linda Evans, and Jon Forsythe dominated. But, Joan and Linda and even John looked great for their ages. Even Dynasty in the later years would have spells were it was announced the “younger generation” was going to be showcased more over the older actors, but usually it went nowhere. In many ways I can see that the producers probably thought of Stanwyck and in turn Constance as more of a figurehead, not a main proponent of the action to the Colby storyline. Barbara, fresh from The Thorn Birds, along with her Star ego, would of course think that Constance would be a main player in the show. Not a good combination to have a smooth and happy production.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...arbara-stanwyck-jason-colby-ricardo-montalban

If you think, what happened to Barbara on The Colby’s is exactly what happened to Linda Gray on the Dallas reboot. At first the producers really only used her for her ties to the original show, really gave her no scenes with any meat, she was not a part of the main action, and a lot of her scenes got cut “for time.” It took fan backlash, and Ms. Gray going to the press with her dissatisfaction, to get her more integrated to the show.

Just some thoughts.... :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1