1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Matthew Blaisdel, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,357
    It's Moldavia. A puny principality in the middle of nowhere, and it doesn't exist anymore. Sorry to burst the bubble. Better to do it now though, than let you raise your hopes for nothing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,846
    So far Thatcher killed more Britons than covid-19 although sadly that might change. Research carried out by the Universities of Durham, West of Scotland, Glasgow and Edinburgh found that there were "2,500 excess deaths per year as a result of unemployment caused by Thatcher's policies. And these premature deaths represent just the tip of an immense iceberg of sickness and suffering resulting from Thatcherism."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,846
    Social care workers are one of the heroes of the covid-19 crisis. I hope when this is all over the union that covers your role puts in for the big pay rise that you all deserve. The pittance that the Tory government gives care workers is an absolute disgrace.

4. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +351
    i was at wally fart yesterday morning and there was a guy that asked where the masks were? i said to my after he left i doubt that they are selling any here cause the hospitals are going to need them more. she agreed, hell we bought some Booze as well :) and a woman says to me you got some booze, chocolate and now chips ? i said hell yeah do ya blame me? cause we had bought some potato chips

5. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,591
    USA is about to surpass Italy in number of cases, and Trump wants the country opened by Easter. Good luck! In this rare case, I hope he gets to have it his way.

Meanwhile, both Italy and Spain have surpassed China in number of deaths. I suspect it's because both Spainiors & Italians are very close with their elderly relatives. Countries with similar amount of contaminated people have not close to those death numbers.

Time will tell.

6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Star EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    China's statistics are as truth-friendly as its internet. They don't count all confirmed patients, for instance, but only those with symptoms, against WHO guidelines. And that is even by their own "official" count.

The US is similarly untrustworthy. Not just the federal government, but state health departments, regardless of political affiliation, created a catch-22 scenario to get tested right from the beginning: you have to prove you have the most serious symptoms of the virus and had been in contact with a confirmed case in order to get tested. No wonder community spread is rampant here.

7. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,591
    I wouldn't trust China's regime to do anything at all. That country is all kinds of f-ed up. Poor people.

But all we can do is check the official numbers. We can't guess how many really has covid-19, just assume that the number is much higher than the official ~500.000.

But I'd like to defend all countries' decision not to test everyone. It's impossible to test 7 billion people. And it wouldn't be enough to test everyone just once. During incubation time, you can get a false negative. If you test everyone on the planet today, you'd have to re-test everyone again next week, then a week after that, and a week after that, and a week after that. People will still meet, and after every single meeting, you'd have to get tested to be sure you didn't get contaminated. Meet one person, sit alone in quarantine for 2-3 weeks, get tested. Wouldn't work.

8. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,357
    You cant really compare different countries death rates from the virus though as each country has a different population and different demographics. For instance comparing the UK and the US is pointless because of the population difference and different healthcare systems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    But this is an either/or fallacy. Between testing 7 billion people (your extreme hypothetical) and testing only those who have ALL the symptoms AND have been in direct and prolonged contact with a certified patient (the current policy) there is a whole range of approaches that make sense. Look at south Korea, for instance. People who have underlying conditions and exhibit symptoms should have access to a test, in a way that does not take up resources and medical personnel from taking care of the sick. It can be done, as some countries have done it.
    Plus, if countries had done that early on, they would have achieved containment. That would have been putting out the fire with water hoses. Now that they failed, they have to move on to mitigation--i.e., put out a wildfire with a water pistol.

But most countries, east and west alike, either came up with bullshit theories (herd immunity), or completely ignored the threat for too long and were caught unprepared. Europe and the US were not caught off guard--they had ample warning from the time of the Wuhan epidemic--more than a full month after Wuhan locked down. They simply wasted it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +351
    how is everyone doing anyways being stuck at home?

11. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,591
    1. You assume that we all should have guessed covid-19 would hit extremely hard. How could we have known that? We've had many outbreaks in the past 20 years. Swine flu, MERS, SARS, Zika & Bird flu comes to mind. All very serious, but no where near covid-19. When people first got sick in Wuhan, China first hid it, then tried to downplay it. When the hard reality finally set and we got more info about what this was, people from other countries who had been in Wuhan were already contaminated. And by then we still could not predict how bad this would get. Just check the first few pages of this thread. It's easy to judge after the fact.

2. Those who have all symptoms are most likely at home and won't spread the virus. It's those with next to no symptoms at all that are dangerous. They walk around not knowing they carry the virus. So by testing those who have many symptoms, we still ignore the huge number of people who don't realize they carry covid-19. So yes, if we want to be sure that no one walks out of their home carrying the virus, we'd have to test absolutely everyone on the planet. And that's just not gonna happen.

The only thing that will help is extreme social distancing.

12. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,591
    Imagine what will happen when the virus reaches the gigantic refugee camps around the world. They live extremely close to each other under very poor circumstances.

And how will we be able to help and provide health care?? I don't think that's going to be possible. And if they start escaping the refugee camps, they will start a new spread of the virus.

Anyone has a plan if that happens?

13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,518
    I wasn't too worried when the news came from China. This weird shit always happens there or in Africa.
    Except for those. like me, who "overreacted". I'm not implying that I could have predicted the complete scenario, but it really didn't take a whole lot of imagination what *could* happen.
    After all, the nature of a virus is that it wants to spread. For some bizarre reason no-one assumed that it would spread further.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Addict

Threads:
    Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +1,930
    Tragic and devastating, the COVID-19 pandemic is, sadly, a fitting and possibly inevitable plot twist for the (hopefully) final season of that embarrassingly tacky train-wreck reality show called The Apprentice: White House.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,591
    I like that many thought "what if....?" But even if we knew 100% it would spread all over the world like many viruses do, one can never know how fast it will spread, how easy and how critical it would get for so many. We can only learn from what has happened before and from there guess different scenarios.

At least we learned one thing from the bird flu vaccine: beware of severe side-effects such as narcolepsy.

16. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,518
    People in Italy were dying, and they told us to "wash your hands".

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,591
    I want to defend my standpoint regarding not to test everyone.

- Most countries don't have the resources needed. It takes more than a cotton swab. It takes a chemical reagent as well. It also takes a lab to check every single test. One lab can only go through so many test every day. The reagent will run out and then we still have to prioritize whose test to check first.

- A test will not change the health care plan for a vast majority. There simply is no cure. Nothing we know of yet that will shorten the amount of time you're sick or make the symptoms milder. The care plan will only change if you need intensive care, like a respirator to pump oxygen into the fluid filled lungs.

- If you want a test because you have symptoms, you have to come into contact with other people to get that test. At least one health care worker. But chances are there are a number of people waiting in line there. Some of who are positive, some who are negative but will get covid-19 for standing too close to people with covid-19.

- You can get a false negative but still carry the virus. And if you do get a false negative, you will of course assume you don't have covid-19 and be less careful. You will probably go to work.

- You can feel sick, be tested, get a negative because you have a plain cold. Then you contract the virus at the testing place or the next day when you're at the store. And you will need another test.

- Many hypocondrics will want more than one test done.

- Scared people who get a positive test will go to the hospital when they feel feverish and the cough is bad instead of staying home. The hospitals will risk getting packed with patients who should be home. A positive result can actually be worse than not knowing.

There are other reasons as well. These are just a few.

If we could get tests that are similar to pregnancy tests (testing at home, not sending the stick in to a lab, and the reagent within the test being able to show you the result without being checked by a pro), that would be ideal. But we're not there yet. And we have no magical wand.

I am 100% for social distancing. Especially for the people who have a relatively high risk of getting critically ill.

But right now, prioritizing tests for everyone is not a realistic solution. We have the money for it, but not the resources.

And it really doesn't matter if one country is able to test everyone. We live in a global world. It's gonna spread. Especially considering that most leaders are desperately trying to save the economy. Trump wants to open USA by Easter. USA is a superpower with lots of visits from other countries. If they test everyone and open USA when covid-19 seems to have died out, one visit from abroad carrying the virus will be enough to start a 2nd spread.

18. Emelee

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,591
    And many thousands more will die.

Somehow I think this virus is nature's way of brutally telling humans to stop destroying our planet. And somehow, I think we've had this coming. This is Earth lashing back, letting us know that we're not in charge of everything. We've overpopulated the planet, we handle animals appallingly and we ruin the climate. Humans probably deserve covid-19.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Well, my post explained that "testing everyone" or "testing only under the current stringent regime" was an either/or fallacy. So, there is no point to repeat what I have already explained.

So you think schools should have stayed open?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael Torrance

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +4,051
    Predictions were not possible, but estimates were. In January when the first reports circulated, I think people were justified in saying "this is another of these viruses in China" (like SARS). But by the end of January/early February, governments knew this was no SARS because of how easily it spread. I mean, in the US the senators who got the briefing went ahead and sold their stocks, figuring that they would rather save their money then the people and sound the alarm.

With SARS, government were more on edge because of 9/11 and terrorism threats, and they did a better job tracking anyone sick--and SARS was also quite obvious: there were no SARS patients who never exhibited symptoms. Since pandemics will happen more and more, governments need to get better at tracking and containment. Mitigation and social distancing is a mess, and there is no end in sight, economies suffer, and nobody knows what happens at the next wave (which epidemiologists now say is likely). And, if you read any report from WHO or other organizations, they will tell you the tool to do that is the one most governments did not care to use: extensive testing.