The Cowboy and the Lady

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Ray&Donna, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Before. I try to stay three or four updates ahead of you, depending on how much time I can find todevote to my writing ;)

It requires a lot of empathy to be a writer. If you can't put yourself in someone else's place, you probably can't put yourself inside their head :)

Oh, don't feel bad @Ms Southworth

I had GIANT on DVD for several years before I actually took the time to sit down and watch it. I knew it was going to be quite long, like GONE WITH THE WIND, so I watched the first part, paused for dinner, and then finished it up in the evening.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    At least now you can pause and make screen shots, or rewind without destroying the tape. David Jacobs's amalgam worked, though, or we wouldn't still be talking about it today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    Thanks for sharing! :) It makes perfect sense to be ahead of the "game"! :yep:

BTW, how is your next book coming along?

Beautiful way to explain it! :bowing

Of course, you had no way of knowing this,@Ray&Donna, but what @Karin Schill was actually referring to was whether or not I'd gotten around to watch the three other movies (besides "Giant") that was included in the Elizabeth Taylor DVD box that I bought last spring! :d1:

I did get around to watch the great movie, "Giant", but unfortunately, I still have three Elizabeth Taylor movies left to go, before I'll be able to give Karin the three movie reviews on another thread! :embarrassed:.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    aww what a sweet fairytale update when Ray told Margaret the story of her parents life together. I loved it. :kiss:

I completely agree with that! :)

Well I envy you who still have three great movies with Elizabeth Taylor to discover. I wish I had some new films to see with her. But I have seen pretty much all of her movies by now. I still have a few Richard Burton movies left to discover however! :jolly:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  5. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    Sweet update from Margaret's room! :hug:

I loved how Margaret "sweet talked" her daddy into giving her another bedtime story! :spinning: And what a story it was ... ... :kiss::kiss::kiss: Ray did an awesome job of giving his daughter one of the best fairytale stories there is! :gotcha:

On a sidenote, ... LOL ... I can relate to Ray going to bed himself after tucking in his little girl ... no matter how adorable children can be, they can also wear you out! :giggle:

Please update soon! :best: :j1: :jumping:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Pamela Ewing awoke from a dream to find that her face was no longer covered in bandages. It had been a wonderful fantasy, nothing like the nightmares which had plagued her in the months following her abduction from the hospital. In this reverie she was back at Southfork, and the family was dining together—happily. Even J.R. was being kind to her, which should have been the first sign that it was all in her head, for he had only ever treated her nice when he wanted something. Miss Ellie and Clayton looked happy and healthy, smiling at one another from their respective ends of the table. Sue Ellen appeared radiant and refreshed, as though she hadn’t a care in the world, and John Ross and Christopher behaved more like best friends than cousins. But something had been amiss—Bobby was missing from the happy tableau, as though erased from existence by Fate itself. There didn’t seem to be any logic at work—how could she and Christopher be at the Ewing dinner table if not for Bobby? She wondered at the symbolism implied by her musings; was it an alternate reality where she was a Ewing and Bobby was a Barnes? Or was it because he had lost his life during her absence, and she was the consolation prize the family accepted because he had paid the ultimate price to bring her home again? The thought was unbearable; life without him seemed unimaginable, was too horrendous a thought to consider, even in a nightmare.

Still, as Pam turned her face toward the pillow, there was something that caught her eye: a console table covered in lotions and creams rested near a door that lacked a knob. Perhaps, she thought, it was padlocked from the other side. Even if she found the strength to walk to the door—and after months of lying in a variety of beds, her legs had undoubtedly atrophied—it was clear Katherine feared her escape. But why? It wasn’t as though Pam was privy to any sort of secrets her bail-jumping sister might have held. No, Katherine’s only pleasure was in keeping her away from her husband and child indefinitely, leaving them to wonder if they had been abandoned for reasons of vanity.

Pam was determined to stay awake—she feared having another bizarre dream, if not a series of outright nightmares—but the drugs with which the physician kept her dosed didn’t allow for much lucidity, and thus within a few minutes of closing her eyes, the Sandman had returned. Parsimony was certainly not in the doctor’s vocabulary when it came to sedatives.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Well, with having to go into the hospital again I am still at the same place.

Well, I was trying to think of a child-appropriate way for Ray to recount her parents' love story without, you know, tossing out more details than a toddler could comprehend. :lol:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  8. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    I'm thrilled that you gave us another update about Pam! :spinning:

What a dream Pam had!!! :eyes: And I liked her idea about possibly trying to break out of her cage! :dance: Either that or have Bobby come save her! :kiss:

Please update soon! :bowing :best:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    Yikes Pam seems to be known for her dreams. Yet at least now it wasn't a nightmare. Although it was a bit weird how Bobby was missing in her dream.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Sue Ellen was looking through paperwork, DOA minutes, and new designs for Valentine when her intercom buzzed. The sun was shining, and she was looking forward to spending time with John Ross in the pool before dinner that evening. “Mrs. Ewing, your husband is here to see you.” She wondered to herself about what he could possibly want to speak of; his dismissiveness of her business interests was no secret.

“Send him in please, Kelly,” she replied, depressing the button.

“Yes, Mrs. Ewing.” She stood as he entered, hat in hand, smiling as though he wanted something—but then, didn’t he always?

“Sue Ellen, sweetheart,” he said by way of greeting, “May I be seated?”

“Yes,” she said, heaving an internal sigh because to have shown emotion would have given him the upper hand. Rather than seating herself at the desk, she walked toward the bank of windows that offered a view of downtown Dallas. “What can I do for you, J.R.? I know this isn’t a social call.”

“Well,” he said, drawling out the word, “I’d like you to distance yourself from the DOA and the gubernatorial campaign. You know, spend more time with John Ross.”

Sue Ellen grinned as she continued to look toward the horizon. “Stepping on your toes, huh darlin’? The Ewing women are now taking the spotlight away from the Ewing men, becoming a political force and riding a train all the way to Austin.” She spared him a brief glance over her shoulder. “You don’t have an oil company anymore. Why would you be worried about your sister-in-law serving in elected office? Or are you upset that Cliff and I are part of the election braintrust while you can’t even get Jordan Lee to return one of your phone calls?” She was probably enjoying this a little too much, but how often did she get the upper hand in her marriage?

“Geez, Sue Ellen, you didn’t have to be so nasty about it.” She refrained from laughing—her husband chiding her for being nasty was like Sylvester Stallone giving a speech denouncing violence in films.

“I spend plenty of time with the family, including John Ross and Christopher. I attend dinner at Southfork with far more regularity than you do, all the while helping with the Krebbs-Crawford campaign, the DOA, running a successful business, and a host of other civic engagements.” She turned and gave him a look that read stern rather than malicious. “Gone are the days in which you could kowtow me into hiding in our bedroom with a bottle of vodka. I enjoy being a mother but I have also found purpose for my life outside of being a trophy on your arm—to help create opportunities for other women to rise in the business world. Who knows? Perhaps the next independent oilman will be a woman. And no, Marilee Stone does not count. Her business acumen involves champagne and lingerie more than boardroom negotiations.”

J.R. watched her stone-faced, then made to stand. “I’ll see you at home later, Sue Ellen.” She watched him leave the office, tail tucked between his legs, and smiled. There had probably been more to his visit than simply desiring that she stayed closer to home, but she would concern herself with that later. For now she simply enjoyed knowing that if her marriage ever came to an end, she would land safely on her feet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    Yay! A JR/SE update. That was a rather unexpected treat. :)

I love how you worded this one. :clap:

:laughs:

Also Sue Ellen is probably right that JR must have had an ulterior motif for asking her to step aside and spend more time at home. So I wonder what he really wants? :think:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    I just love a strong and independent Sue Ellen! :spinning: (And it was fun imagining JR squirm while listening to her words! :dance:)

Great scene! :hat: Very easy to imagine Linda and Larry "doing it", if you know what I mean! :popcorn:

Funny with the reference to Stallone's movies! :D

Sue Ellen's final and very powerful points to JR can stand a repeat, IMO!:

• “I spend plenty of time with the family, including John Ross and Christopher. :hugs:
    • “I attend dinner at Southfork with far more regularity than you do, all the while helping with the Krebbs-Crawford campaign, the DOA, running a successful business, and a host of other civic engagements.” :bowing
    • “Gone are the days in which you could kowtow me into hiding in our bedroom with a bottle of vodka. :bang:
    • “I enjoy being a mother but I have also found purpose for my life outside of being a trophy on your arm—to help create opportunities for other women to rise in the business world. :box:
    • “Who knows? Perhaps the next independent oilman will be a woman. :gotcha:
    • “And no, Marilee Stone does not count. Her business acumen involves champagne and lingerie more than boardroom negotiations.” :Clol:

Please entertain us with many more amazing scenes from this amazing fanfic! :best:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Ray spent the latter part of the week assembling a swing set for Margaret running parallel to the fence so that she would be able to watch the horses and the cattle while she played. She had thrilled to it immediately, going up and down the slide, using out the swings, and testing the other accoutrements that came along with the toy. He was pushing her gently, listening to her make happy sounds, when Miss Ellie pulled in the driveway. They exchanged a wave and after departing the car, she walked toward them. “Hello, Ray,” she said, brushing a strand of hair back that the breeze had blown free. “Hello, Margaret,” she added at the sight of her grandchild.

“Hi Gammy,” she giggled, kicking her feet back and forth while Ray held the swing taut.

Returning her attention to Ray, she smiled and said, “I was hoping Donna might be here, and that I could invite all of you to a family barbeque this evening.”

Ray gave her a somewhat quixotic look and began to shake his head. “Afraid not, ma’am. I mean, Maggie and I would be happy to come but Donna called this morning and said she’d have to try to catch us next weekend. I guess I should have expected it. She likes to stay busy and meet as many people as she can.”

“Yes, I saw on the news that she had been hitting every major city on this end of the state, and attended a huge fundraising dinner in Austin.”

“Ralston’s hatchet job is having an unintended effect,” Ray noted, looking at the toe of his boot. “Donna is more popular than ever.”

“Unfortunately,” Miss Ellie continued, “Mr. Ralston has no clue how far behind the times he is. His influence as a journalist has waned along with his ratings.”

“I was never a fan,” Ray admitted, “but he certainly hadn’t done anything to help his cause in my eyes. I would just as soon as extract his teeth as look at him.”

“It would certainly improve his ability to talk,” she replied with a chuckle.

Ray eyed her thoughtfully. “Do you have any thoughts in regards to Mr. Shaw and Mr. Williamson?”

She nodded sagely. “I think they picked a great candidate, but I am skeptical of their ultimate goals for our state. I don’t consider them appropriate figureheads for the party.”

“I know she’s a fan of her running mate—she genuinely likes and respect the guy, and I have to say he’s a decent fella for a politician—but then there’s the matter of Cliff, and you know how things always run when it comes to our family and his.”

“Cliff has softened quite a bit in Pam’s absence,” Miss Ellie reminded him. “I would never begrudge him time spent with Christopher, but I would give him the stink-eye if he ever spun that Barnes-Ewing Feud yarn again.”

Ray laughed softly while he stared at the top of Margaret’s tow head. “Yeah, I don’t think you could be blamed on that score. Donna is planning to be here for the big stuff this summer: the annual barbeque and the Charity Rodeo.”

“How nice,” Miss Ellie replied somewhat dreamily, “if Bobby and Pam could here, too. If Lucy came for a visit it would be almost like old times. But I shouldn’t get my hopes up too high.” She met Ray’s gaze and smiled. “Well, I think Clayton and I will do a little shopping in Braddock. We’ll see you at the main house this afternoon?”

“Of course,” he replied with a nod. “If you happen to call and there’s no one home, I probably just took Maggie to the stables to look at the horses.”

“A perfect day for that activity,” she said with a smile. “Goodbye, you two,” she said.

“Bye-bye Gammy!” Margaret called as Miss Ellie returned to her car and drove away.

“Well,” Ray observed with a glance at the toe of his boot, “looks like it’s just you and me again, cowgirl.” He smiled and began to gently push Margaret on the swing, her curls flying in the breeze as she pointed at the horses in the distance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    Excellent scene with Ray, Margaret, and Miss Ellie! :jolly:

Parenthood suits Ray so well! :) I love to hear how great he is at being a daddy! :love7:

Every child should have access to a swing set, especially when you're lucky enough to live in a grand and beautiful place like Southfork! :swing: Just imagining swinging away way high up while watching the horses and the cattle in the bacground makes me smile! :ping:

Happy to hear that Texas is taking a liking to Donna! :) Her popularity will most definitely get her a glorious victory come election day! :bravo1:

Great comments about Ralston:

• Miss Ellie: “Mr. Ralston has no clue how far behind the times he is. His influence as a journalist has waned along with his ratings.:yep:
    • Ray: “I was never a fan, but [Ralston] certainly hadn’t done anything to help his cause in my eyes. I would just as soon as extract his teeth as look at him.:box:
    • Miss Ellie: “It would certainly improve [Ralston's] ability to talk.:giggle:

I'm just thrilled to hear that Donna will be present for "the big stuff this summer: the annual barbeque and the Charity Rodeo.:dance: I do hope that we will be able to tack along! :cool1 And I'll keep praying for Pam's safe return to the arms of her loved ones, so that the Ewing clan once again can be united! :love4:

Please update soon! :best:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    Loved the cute update with Miss Ellie, Ray and Margaret. :)
    Nice idea with a family BBQ at Southfork. Also all little girls likes to swing I think. Cute how Ray positioned it so Margaret could see all the important things while sitting in the swingset.

:laugh1: This part was hilarious.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    “Look, Clayton,” Miss Ellie pointed out the car window as they entered Braddock. “Someone is hanging up campaign posters for Donna!”

Clayton nodded. “It’s good that she managed to get out in front of that mess with Ralston and Graham—I mean, her polling numbers went up after that, so whatever was planned to happen clearly backfired.”

“Yes, and she took on such a rigorous schedule that she won’t be home this weekend. Oh, Ray said he’ll still bring Margaret to the house later but Donna probably won’t be able to join us until the day of the charity rodeo.”

“How did he seem?” Clayton asked as he turned into the restaurant where they had a lunch reservation. He waited for Ellie to reply before he turned off the engine. She glanced not quite at him and smiled thoughtfully.

“You know Ray—he’s developed a tough exterior over the years, and outside of Donna I’m not sure anyone could accurately gauge his feelings. I imagine he’s disappointed, albeit stoic and supportive, knowing that it comes with the territory.

“She’s always considered him her equal, but Ray had trouble with that from the very beginning. I mean, he felt the outsider, the one who couldn’t compete with everyone else, but he never lacked for courage, or strength, or ability to run the ranch—aside from that dark period after Jock’s death, but we were all messed up then—so when he and Donna split up for good, and he moved Jenna into the house! Clayton, I almost died from shock.”

“I’m glad you didn’t,” he said with a smile. “Shall we head inside now?”

“Yes,” she said with a nod, grabbing her handbag. He alighted from the car, opened the passenger side door for her, and guided her inside. The coolness of the interior washed over them, and the hostess greeted them promptly. Once they were seated—they had ordered sweet tea with lemon—Ellie resumed the conversation. “Anyway, I’m glad Ray is more comfortable dining up at Southfork now. It hadn’t been too long ago that I more or less had to search for him any time I wanted to chat.”

“At least he didn’t go bar hopping,” Clayton said. “I would have been the one who had to go and fetch him, and I don’t have Bobby’s strength or knack for brawling.”

Miss Ellie covered her mouth to keep from laughing aloud. “At least no one’s been shoved in the pool lately. I wish I could keep John Ross and Christopher at the age they are right now forever. They’d never grow up to fight over girls, or business, or have to experience any heartache other than what they already have.”

“I wanted to keep Dusty in that very same bubble,” Clayton replied, resting his chin in his hands, his elbows propped against the edge of the table. “It never works, though. We simply have to hope that we have imbued our children with the fortitude to overcome the obstacles, disappointments, and malice that life throws their way.” He sighed. “We can’t eliminate the pain—we are simply bystanders in others’ lives. The good news, or at least something that might make you smile, is I think I’ve gotten Dusty to commit to compete in the rodeo this summer.”

“Clayton, that would be wonderful! I know how much you have missed spending time with him.”

“You know, someday I’m going to have to tell him the truth about his parents. It’s going to hurt more than I can bear to let him know that his life has been a lie.”

“It’s certainly not a lie that you and Amy loved him as much as if he’d been your own! Besides, he might feel grateful for having been kept away from his natural mother.”

“I don’t know, Ellie. Sometimes the truth is better left unspoken. Once you speak the words, you can never take them back.”

“That’s definitely true in our family. Things have been said, and secrets revealed, that were cataclysmic. Jock’s first wife, for one. And then Takapa, for another.”

Clayton nodded. “Imagine how Lucy might have felt if she grew up thinking you were her mother instead of her grandmother.”

“Well, she probably wouldn’t have been quite as spoiled as she was had she been a child rather than a grandchild, but then I guess we spoiled our boys to some degree…except J.R., of course.” She frowned a bit as her speech trailed off.

“It looks like the server is coming back,” Clayton told her. “Do you know what you’d like to order?”

“Yes, I think I do,” she replied with a smile. “The seafood dishes on the menu remind me of our time in Galveston. When we have a chance, let’s head down there for a long weekend.”

• Like Like x 2
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,842
    Gotta love Clayton & Miss Ellie. It's like they are the voice of reason. :)

I understand why they'd want to keep John Ross and Chris in the bubble. Once they are teenagers things won't be as innocent anymore.

I thought Dusty knew that Jessica was his mother though...:confuse:I think it was hinted at on the show.

So a charity rodeo is coming up. That sounds promising. :dance:

18. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    I know Clayton told him (off-screen) after Jessica's killing spree in season 12, but I can't recall if he knew prior to that or not. It has been quite a while since I watched anything but the first twelve episodes of season 6!

19. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    While legislation in Washington generally moved at a glacial pace, things often happened much quicker behind the scenes. The two senators from Texas had let it be known to some of the more influential donors that they had lost confidence in both the party chair and his preferred money man. Even though the SEC had found no wrongdoing on their parts, as soon as it became known that Donna had lost faith in Williamson and Bond, their termination was fait accompli. Still, a formal announcement would need to be made in order to stave off another sneak attack from someone as pernicious as Roy Ralston—to say nothing of the opposition.

In order to further control the publicity, a press conference was scheduled as quickly as possible. At the state party headquarters in Austin, the spokesperson entered from the left door and walked across to the lectern. A crowd of reporters, camera operators, and other interested onlookers had gathered to hear what the woman had to say.

“Pending further investigation, party chair Harrison Bond and chief fundraiser Shaw Williamson have been asked to take leave from their roles until they can be either cleared of any wrongdoing or indicted for the allegations that have been made. For the time being, at least through the November election, Cliff Barnes will assume the role of party chair while Linda Bradley has agreed to head up future fundraising efforts. I will not be taking questions at this time, but I can be reached later at my office here in the building. Thank you, and have a good day.” She left as quickly as she had come, though she exited through the door on the right side of the dais.

From the corresponding building across town, state senator Clark Graham watched amusedly, tenting his fingers and tapping them together menacingly. A wolf that smelled fresh blood was no less predatory than he was at that moment. Perhaps, he thought, the other party was imploding and he wouldn’t have to give a concession speech come November. Now if only he could get those bozos over at KDAL to return his phone calls…

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Mrs Bobby James Ewing Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +786
    Great updates Ray&Donnna.:) Ray is a wonderful father to Margaret. :)I hope Donna becomes governor of Texas in your story. :) Clayton and Miss Ellie are so cute together in your story and I love how protective they both are of their family.:) I hope we another update about Bobby's search for Pam soon becauae I am really looking forward to their reunion with their son Christopher in your story.:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1