The Cowboy and the Lady

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Ray&Donna, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    Typical politics to let certain person take the blame while launching an investigation! :giggle:

I like that Cliff got a promotion though. :yep:

Oh and what is KDAL?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    The fictional television and radio network I created for Roy Ralston's show :D

Ray didn’t even get into the hotel suite before his mouth closed over hers. “I can’t believe we finally got a few minutes alone,” he whispered against her lips, his breathing labored, Donna’s heart hammering against his chest.

When Donna had called right before bedtime the night before to let Ray know she was going to be in Waco long enough to attend a fundraiser, but that the party had booked a suite so she could rest and look her best when she met with donors, he had quickly gotten in touch with Angela who said she would be happy to look after Margaret long enough for Ray to make a quick trip. Now that he was seeing her beautiful face, he almost wanted to devour her, to keep her in the bed until they’d gotten their fill of one another—if that was even possible. He almost ached with need for her—soul-deep longing to be mated together while sharing their hearts and bodies.

“Ray,” she pleaded, “let me at least get the door closed.” Wordlessly he closed it with his foot, pressing her against the wall and inhaling the scent of her shampoo. “I guess you missed me as much as I’ve missed you,” she breathed as his mouth nibbled at hers.

“You have no idea,” he answered, gliding his tongue along the edges of her teeth. “I would have walked here if I’d had to.” He began to work the zipper on the back of her dress, while her fingers played with the buttons on his shirt.

“I’ve missed our little girl,” she whispered as he kissed her neck. “How is Margaret adjusting to being at the ranch full-time?”

“Oh, she’s happy as a clam,” Ray confirmed, holding Donna tight against him as he nibbled her earlobe. She hummed her approval and it urged him to slip one hand beneath her dress and caress her back, making small circles with his palm. Correspondingly, her hand slid inside his open shirt and teased his nipples until they were taut under her fingertips. The eager way they touched one another, still mostly dressed, could be maddening, but he knew it would be worth the wait once they finally tumbled onto the bed. He just hoped the phone wouldn’t ring at an inopportune moment.

“You know,” Donna said, unlatching his belt buckle, “I think we should make love in hotel rooms more often. It’s like we’re dating again.”

Ray laughed. “You mean we aren’t?” With the dress completely unzipped, she helped him pull it over her head. “Hmm, lace and very little left to the imagination,” he said admiringly when he saw her slip. His hands searching beneath the fabric, he pushed it upward and began to massage her breasts with his hands. He rubbed his arousal against her middle, letting her know exactly how much he wanted her. She moaned beseechingly as his thumbs worked her nipples into tight pearls against the work-roughened pads of skin. Then he lowered his head and took the right nipple into his mouth, moistening the peak through the fabric. “I need you,” he whispered against her neck. “I really, really need you, Donna.”

“I need you,” she replied in a husky voice. “I always have, and I always will.” Quickly shedding the rest of their clothes, they fell across the bed and he entered her with aching precision, luxuriating in the feel of her enveloping him. She arched her body against his, pulling Ray further into her embrace. He was hard where she was soft; he was deliberate where she was receptive, each stroke and movement of his body designed to maximize the pleasure, to heighten the sensation, and to keep the moment of ultimate pleasure at bay for as long as possible. They kissed hungrily, their mouths always in search of a new meeting place, or another spot on the face, neck, and chest that hadn’t been given the attention it deserved.

His fingers twisted her hair in little curls as they moved together, his lips whispering declarations of love and affirmations to her perfection. With one more slow, intense grind of their bodies, they climaxed together, spinning away into the heavens, falling back to earth together like stardust. “No, no, sweetheart,” Ray growled tenderly, holding Donna in his arms, resting atop him, when she tried to sneak away.

“Hmm,” she murmured, resting her face against his chest. “I really need to take a shower.”

“Care if I join you?” he whispered.

“I’d love that,” she said, adjusting her face until her blue eyes met his loving gaze, “but we’d spend so much time in there, the hotel would charge the campaign a water usage bill, and I’d never get downstairs.” He smiled sleepily, appreciating her logic.

“I love you, Donna Krebbs,” he said almost inaudibly. Kissing her index finger, she touched it to his mouth.

“I know,” she said, “and I am going to show you just how much I love you until I absolutely have to get in the shower.” She kissed his chin, neck, and chest, creating a roadmap of his body as she went, and they spent another half-hour loving one another before parting again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    I'm glad they were able to find some time in their busy schedules to meet up. I guess it's true that they are sort of back to dating, as they used to meet up in motels while she was still married to Sam Culver and he had no idea of who she was.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Donna was still fastening her earrings as she made her way into the backstage area, separated from the dais and conference room by a removable partition. “Dave!” she exclaimed at the sight of her stepson, who was more importantly her biggest advocate and supporter in Washington. “I wasn’t sure you’d be able to make it!”
    “Hey,” he said, giving her a hug. “With the behind-the-scenes shake-ups, we need to appear as strong and united as possible, especially in front of your voters. You don’t want Linda to have to pass around a tin cup on the street corner, do you?”

Donna laughed, smiling as she visualized that possibility. “I think we could probably pass it around at the DOA meetings and not have to worry about soliciting outside of city hall.” She looked over his shoulder and at the people gathered backstage; a mixture of volunteers and paid campaign workers. “Is Cliff here? I haven’t had a chance to meet with him since he took over the chair position.”
    Dave shook his head. “No, Cliff is keeping busy in Austin, putting out fires and sending out press releases. I’m sure his secretary hasn’t worked this hard in years.”

“Jackie has the patience of Job,” Donna informed him. “Otherwise she would have walked out on Cliff years ago!” Her eyes turned sad, and she glanced at the floor. “She came to work at Barnes-Wentworth as Pam’s assistant, so I guess there’s a bit of loyalty there, especially with Pam out of both their lives, at least for the time being.”

“Yeah, the absence of Bobby and Pam has had major reverberations past just their immediate families. I’ve missed you in Washington, but I know Miss Ellie is grateful to have you back in the fold.”

She nodded. “Yes, I think my return has helped to return the dinner table back in favor of the women of the family. With Ewing Oil gone, though, it’s very different. Conversations are much calmer, and arguments don’t have a chance to ignite before they quickly fizzle out. Sorry to cut this short, but I need to speak with Garner for a moment.”

“Of course,” he said, exchanging a cheek kiss before they parted. Donna moved toward her campaign manager, who gave her a congratulatory handshake.

“Congratulations,” he enthused. “Your appearances this week have been nothing less than spectacular. I’ve been adjusting to, you know, working with the new leadership the party has installed this week.”

“I hope we didn’t throw you off your game,” Donna apologized, lowering her voice to a whisper. “I just didn’t like what was happening behind the scenes. Even if there wasn’t anything to the mud Graham was throwing our way, I felt like we weren’t privy to the inner workings of Shaw or Williamson. According to Dave, they weren’t misappropriating campaign funds in their attempts to take over WestStar, but the fact that my brother-in-law was their competition seemed relevant enough to at least have one or both of them mention their business dealings.”

“I agree,” he replied. “I’m just glad I didn’t get thrown out on my head with the two of them.”

“I didn’t see any malfeasance hidden under the work you were doing for me.” Donna smiled, thinking that no matter how this campaign shook out, Garner would be a friend for life. “Speaking of work, would you accompany me, in an official capacity, to the Charity Rodeo at Southfork this year?”

“Do I have to compete?”

Donna laughed. “No, not unless you want to; the whole thing is a benefit for some worthy causes. This year it’s dedicated to cancer research and getting the word out regarding the risk of heart disease. Ray usually competes in some of the events but this year he’s working behind the scenes, making sure the broncs and bulls are top notch.”

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    I agree Jackie must have had a lot of patient working for Cliff! :lol:

Yay! The charity rodeo is coming up. I definitely look forward to read about that one!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    “Are you competing?”

Donna shook her head. “I’m afraid my rodeo days are behind me. Ray and I won our bull riding events in 1983—mine was mechanical, of course—but I think now we’re more interested in spending time with our daughter than earning trophies. I’d better write down the phone number of our house so that I can show you around the place before the festivities start. The ranch is huge—you know that much—but our house is pretty standard Texas fare. Southfork is the showplace; Ray and I like something a little quieter for us. I hang laundry on the line to dry; Ray splits firewood for the winter with his own two hands. The horses can walk right up to the fence and have their manes brushed if they’re in the mood.”

“Sounds like a great place to grow up.”

“Yes, I think so. I just hope Margaret agrees, though I don’t think I have to worry too much about that. She loves the animals, and the wide open spaces, and spending time with her daddy. He built her a swing-set recently so they’ve been spending plenty of time together.” She smiled wistfully, grateful to have been given this second chance with both her cowboy and the family they had dreamed of building together.

“Are you ready to shake some hands and raid some wallets tonight?”

Donna laughed, in spite of herself. “Oh, I think I’m ready as I’ll ever be. But over the years, I’ve learned the trick is to make them think you’re not asking for donations. Make the donors think it was their idea to give!” His mouth fell open in surprise, and she grinned at him. “I’m kidding, Garner. Anyone with the means to do so is never reluctant to make a donation to a cause or candidate they believe in. I learned a lot from Sam, and his lessons have stayed with me all of these years.”

“I wish I could have known him.”

She nodded. “Dave is similar in his pragmatism and his ability to effect compromise, but he’s not a carbon copy. No living man is perfect, but for a politician Dave is squeaky-clean. He’s a loving and faithful husband, and a devoted father. His daughters adore him.”

“Did he always want to be in politics, or was it forced upon him because of his last name?”

“A little of both,” Donna replied. “He grew up seeing how serving others could better their lives as well as your own. From an early age, he was instilled with the value of hard work, generosity, and public service.”

“You sound like you admire him as much as the voters who reelected him by a wide margin in the last election.”

“Well, he could have taken a strong stand against his father marrying someone like me, young and unsophisticated as I was, but clearly he saw how much his father loved me, and as much as he loved his mother, he wanted Sam to be happy—and he could see that I did, too.”

“Did you feel any qualms about putting his life story into book form? They were lucrative for you, but…”

“I revealed some blemishes on his character. While I had my doubts at times, what I found was that people can relate more easily to their public figures if the veil slips a little bit, and they can take a peek inside the inner working of their life. It can backfire, though. The higher the pedestal on which you’ve placed someone…”

“…the further they have to fall. Good luck with your speech tonight, Donna.”

“Thanks,” she said as they exchanged a hug. They’re your words,” she said, glancing at the notecards in her hand. “I just have to deliver them with the spirit you intended. I’ve been so busy lately that I would have been lost without your help on this speech.”

Garner smiled. “Just remember me after you’re in office, okay?”

Donna laughed. “You can count on it.”

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    I think it's true about public figures as I always tend to root for people if I have read their autobiography, even if they are not perfect. I guess it's because you come to understand their POV and that they are only humans.

So no more competing in the rodeo for Donna and Ray...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Well, it was probably time...:)

Bobby sat in the shadows across from the industrial building for three days before making his move. Two men came and went, one of them carrying doctor’s bag, but there was no sign of his seditious sister-in-law. Perhaps, he thought to himself, she was miles away, in a larger city where she could easily blend in crowds. Or maybe she was overseas again—he’d learned the hard way that Katherine had more than her share of international contacts, some of whom were mercenaries with little, if any, consciousness of their acts, and would work for any fee she might pay them.

It was the morning of the fourth day, after he’d seen no one come and go for hours, he decided to launch his attack. He kept a small pistol holstered at his ankle, another handgun shoved into the back of his pants, and a knife sheathed against his right hip. He knocked on the door he’d been watching, and quite incredibly the regular guard answered. The hired help moved slowly, and was no match for Bobby’s quick reflexes. In a matter of minutes he’d subdued the man with a knockout punch and clamped his hands together. Bobby knew the man wouldn’t remain unconscious forever, and so he pressed himself against the wall and took stock of his surroundings. There were two televisions in the room; one monitor focused on a woman lying in a hospital bed, while the other played reruns of The Flintstones. He squinted at the one of the woman—could it be Pam? He dared not get his hopes up. Then he began to wonder if he was merely a pawn in an endless, futile game. Why would Katherine be keeping Pam in such a low-rent operation as this, with one bodyguard and a doctor making occasional visits? If this was a trap, it would be an excellent one: located close to home, but with no way to contact anyone who might be able to help him.

And if he didn’t find Katherine here, what assurance did he have that she would never reenter their lives and create more havoc? It wasn’t as though he could send Christopher to school every day accompanied by armed guards.

He took a deep breath and worked to clear his mind of all unnecessary thoughts. In the ensuing silence, he looked toward the only other door in the room, wondering where it might lead and if anyone was waiting on the other side. The guard whom he’d subdued breathed almost silently, and Bobby gave a silent prayer of thanks that he hadn’t killed the man. He inched closer to the door, wondering what might happen if he pulled on the handle. Would it be locked? Would the slightest tug on it trip some kind of alarm or motion sensor? Might there be someone heavily armed, waiting in silence to commit an act of murder? He thought to himself again about how no one knew where he was. His own family had no idea how close he was to them, so close to the Red River a person could practically smell the water.

Reaching the door, he gave it a tug and was grateful when it opened with neither sound nor incident. Still, he pulled it toward him as quietly as possible, removing his gun from his pants and making sure he had one round in the chamber, just to be on the safe side. With nothing but silence filling his ears, he stuck his head through the opening and glanced from side to side. At that moment he felt not anything but another surge of disappointment; he’d just as soon as had his head blown off as had to feel this kind of frustration yet again. Before him stood an empty room, nary box nor scrap of paper or even a door leading to another room. Had he not been so emotionally drained but still as self-aware to not stay in any place for too long, he might have sank down in the floor and cried, letting his sobs echo off the walls of the building. Little wonder there was only one guard on duty; clearly Pam was elsewhere.

9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    Oh come on is Bobby ever going to find Pam?
    You told us months ago that he was close now. So these wild goose chases are starting to get a bit annoying!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Bobby is very close. It's just that the people in charge of Pam know how he close he is and have to keep moving her. :eck:

Ray made it back to Dallas in time to pick up Margaret, have dinner at Southfork, and settle in the living room to watch a campaign update with the rest of the family. The newscaster was stoic to the point of absurdity as he read from the teleprompter. There was a brief update on national politics as a preface to the news in which everyone was actually interested.

“Recent calls to the headquarters of the Graham campaign have gone unanswered as his poll numbers continue to slide. His manager, as well as the party spokesperson, have additionally declined all interview requests. Senator Graham, for his part, has continued with campaign appearances, but without granting requests for soundbites.

Meanwhile, the Krebbs-Crawford campaign continues to surge across the state like a steam engine of old.” John Ross and Christopher cheered as photos appeared onscreen, and Ray couldn’t help but grin when Margaret pointed out her mommy. “Mrs. Krebbs spoke at a fundraiser today in Waco, while Mr. Crawford attended a ribbon-cutting ceremony at a new automotive plant in the northwestern corner of the state. It is assumed, though as yet unconfirmed, that both members of the ticket will head to Dallas in the upcoming weeks for the annual charity rodeo at Southfork.”

“Ray,” Miss Ellie said, “I think this will be the first rodeo, at least in my recollection, in which you haven’t competed.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he admitted, “but I think I’d rather spend as much time as I can with my little girl, at least when I’m not on the chutes helping the riders get their ropes cinched up.”

He realized without his participation as a competitor, it would be the first time that a blood Ewing hadn’t competed in the rodeo since its inception; Bobby had placed in the top-three nearly every time he entered the bronc-riding event. Ray had excelled in each event, though he preferred the calf-roping and bull-riding to the broncs, which he always felt jarred his guts out. Still, he had other concerns now: fatherhood and making sure the event was the best it could be.

“When will we be old enough to enter the rodeo?” John Ross asked his mother. “Me and Chris are as good riders as anyone else on the ranch.”

“Your mother would prefer you were a little older,” Sue Ellen replied with a smile, “and I’m sure Christopher’s would agree, too.” With her stance on the matter firmly settled, Sue Ellen turned her attention to Ray. “So how is Donna feeling about the strength of her campaign?”

Ray tilted his head thoughtfully. “Much better now that they’ve rearranged some of the people in charge of the party. I’ll freely admit I don’t understand all of the ins and outs, but she didn’t trust the motives of the chairman and the money man. I just hope, you know, that Cliff is an improvement.”

“I think his motives are pure, at least in this instance,” Clayton chimed in. “I’ve nothing against him, but we know that Cliff has made his share of missteps where both business and politics are concerned.”

“Perhaps he’s found his niche this time,” Miss Ellie agreed. Ray had his own set of issues with Cliff Barnes, though he didn’t feel like it was the time or place to feed his insecurities. He had something that Cliff didn’t—a woman to love and a child to care for.

11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    Yeah but you know what I mean. I think all of us wants Bobby to actually bring Pam back home to Southfork soon! ;)

Then as for the rodeo, I guess you don't have a children's competition like they did in the dream season...

Cute how Margaret recognized her mom on the TV.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Donna had never been happier to see the Dallas skyline as she headed into town for the rodeo. She had spent most of the previous few weeks headed from one fundraiser, speech, or meeting to another, getting about as much sleep as she had when Margaret started teething. Motherhood had definitely prepared her for the realities of campaigning: handholding weary volunteers, long nights, fractious donors, and otherwise organizing people whose goals were similar despite their varying backgrounds.

“Am I really going to meet the famous J.R. Ewing?” Garner asked from the other side of the limo. He was seated near the mini-fridge, reviewing notes and sipping from a cup of ice water. The heat had been cranking higher as June progressed, and Donna worried about Margaret spending the bulk of the weekend outdoors. It was going to be essential that they all stayed hydrated, no matter the harried pace of their lives.

“Not if you’re lucky,” Donna replied with a wink that went unseen. “He might be there shaking hands, but he’s never been one for the cowboy stuff. That was yet another difference separating him from the rest of his brothers. Each of them loved the ranch, and being outdoors, whereas he was firmly at home in an office. If he did have to muddy his boots, it was checking the production on an oil well, or an entire field, not in a rodeo arena.

Ray always loved the ranch, even before he knew Jock was his father. He felt rooted to the land, much in the same way as Miss Ellie and the Southworths. It gave him a place to belong, which was important from a young age as his mother died and sent him to Texas to live. That doesn’t mean there weren’t struggles along the way; sometimes we imagine ourselves as outsiders when nothing could be further from the truth—we belong and always have. We just needed to take the time to figure it out.” Donna smiled to herself as she remembered her baptism-by-fire when she entered the cutthroat world of Washington lobbyists. The lobbyists were certainly not the same crowd of people she’d worked with in the past, when she was assisting with Dave’s campaign and working to get things done at the state level. Compromise was much easier to commandeer at the state level, while people in Washington played to win. She’d toughened up a bit, hardening her stance and becoming more assertive when others sought to challenge her knowledge on the subject of which she spoke.

In spite of the fact the time spent away from Ray had hastened the demise of their union it was hard to look back with regret: it had strengthened her confidence as a speaker while adding to her rolodex of knowledge and skills. Without that boost to an important Texas industry, it was doubtful her supporters would be legion now. People in Texas might have known who she was beforehand, from her familial connections if not her monographs about Sam’s life.

“How many people live on Southfork?” Garner’s question brought her back to the present time. She had to stop and think on it, because her natural inclination was to include Bobby and Pam in the tally.

“Miss Ellie and her second husband, Clayton Farlow, are the heads of the family. J.R. and Sue Ellen have a son, John Ross. There’s also Christopher, whom you met previously. The eldest Ewing grandchild, Lucy, lives in Atlanta with her husband Mitch. Ray, Margaret, and I live in a separate brick house. There are also at least four or five ranch hands living in the bunkhouse full-time. So that’s nine members of the family living on the ranch for the moment. With Bobby and Pam there, it would be eleven.”

“Sounds like family is stacked up like cord wood,” he joked, smiling to himself. “Are you sure there’s room for Luke and I?”

She nodded reassuringly. “You’re going to be staying at a very nice hotel in Braddock with room service, a heated pool, and free breakfast every morning. If you have any problems with your accommodations, you can speak to Mr. Barnes about them. He took care of everything.” Cliff was known for his thrift, so Donna had been taken aback at his offer to set up such plush arrangements for two campaign associates spending a weekend with the Ewings. Then again, he had attended more than one Ewing barbeque in the past.

When the limo arrived in Braddock, Garner was dropped off at his hotel. Donna wished him a restful night’s sleep and said that she would see him the next day, and the limo proceeded on toward the ranch, the miles passing quickly as she saw the familiar green landscape come into view. As they neared the gate, she could see a plethora of activity occurring: hands moving cattle to different fields to graze, trucks with grills, food, patriotic streamers and banners, and yard after yard of fence and gates. “Looks like a good weekend for a rodeo,” the driver said offhandedly.

“Yes, I hope so,” Donna said more to herself than anyone else. At the next turn they went right, heading for the brick house and a reunion with her family. As soon as they pulled into the driveway, Ray was out the door and prepared to greet her. Margaret, she surmised, must have been in either her bed or playpen. She thanked the driver as Ray opened the door for her to alight. Reaching inside, she handed Ray her garment bag, while she retrieved her own suitcase and makeup bag. “How are the animals handling this weather?” she asked. Once they were at the sliding glass door, the limo backed out and headed toward the rental company.

With the door closed behind them, Ray set down the bags and took Donna into his arms, kissing her fiercely. “Some animals are handling it better than others,” he joked. “Let me get a good look at you.” He surveyed her from head to toe and smiled at what he saw. “Yep, still the woman I love.”

She grinned appreciatively. “And still the most handsome cowboy this side of Fort Worth,” she said, kissing his chin. “Not that I don’t enjoy seeing you…in every state of dress and undress…but where is the little one?”

“Ah,” Ray said with a grin, “she is with her grandma and aunt attending her first-ever DOA meeting.”

“Starting out on the right foot,” Donna agreed tacitly. Her lips met his. “Until what time?”

“Three o’clock,” he whispered against her mouth. “Should we move this to the bedroom?”

“Oh yes,” she said, taking his hands and pulling her along with him. The rest of her appurtenances could be hung up later…but for now, they were going to spend time getting hung up on one another.

“How have things been getting along here at the ranch?” Donna asked with her cheek resting against her cowboy’s chest.

“As good as can be expected,” he replied, running his hand over her face and cheek, pushing silken strands away from her eyelashes. “I’ve been trying not to miss you too much,” he murmured lazily. “Easier said than done, honey.”

“I hate to leave you alone so much, but I promise it’ll all be worth it in the end. I plan for you to get sick of me once the election is over.”

“Never happen,” he vowed, embracing her and twining their bodies together.”

• Like Like x 1
  13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    I'm glad that it's finally time for the rodeo and that Donna's gotten some time off work to attend it. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Dinner was a nice affair that evening, the family gathering in the dining room in one last buildup to the next day’s events. Everyone was curious to know how Donna had been faring on the campaign trail; she assured them it was going swimmingly and that the people of Texas were firmly committed to making their state the best it could be. She talked somewhat of the different kinds of people she had met, from the most curious child interested in the democratic process; the jaded veterans of the press corps who had seen more than their share of ambitious young politicians chewed up and spat out like so much cud; and the enthusiastic young voters who were just coming to understand their place in the world at large. Her campaign manager was doing an excellent job and her running mate strengthened and/or reiterated their platform every time he spoke.

“Maggie enjoyed the DOA meeting very much today, didn’t you, sweetie?” Miss Ellie cooed.

“Yes, gammy. It was fun.”

Everyone laughed at her assessment of the event, even J.R. “Another politician in training,” he commended his young niece. Ray couldn’t help but smile in gratitude.

“Aunt Donna,” Christopher asked, “do you think I could go back on the campaign trail with you again before school starts?”

“As long as your grandparents and aunt don’t mind,” she said, heartened by his interest.

“I think it would be a nice opportunity,” Sue Ellen said. “After all, his father did serve in Austin for a bit. Miss Ellie?”

“Yes,” she answered with a nod. “What about you, John Ross?”

He shrugged. “Maybe, as long as I don’t have to get all dressed up.”

“Nah, you spend most of your time backstage or in a hotel room,” Christopher informed him. “Or at least I did.”

“Yeah, it’s mostly behind-the-scenes stuff,” Donna clarified. “You rub elbows with volunteers, reporters, campaign staff, maids and butlers—you meet all kinds of people you wouldn’t have the opportunity to get to know just by visiting the Oil Baron’s Club for lunch. People of every background, color, and creed, the kind of good folks who built this state—and this country—into what it is today.”

“Indeed,” Ray said, smiling and wiping his mouth on his napkin.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,141
    Too funny how John Ross was okay to go on the campaign trail as long as he didn't have to dress up! :lol:

Margaret was so cute how she had fun at the "Daughters of the Alamo" meeting. I guess most kids would be bored at an event like that but not little Margaret. :)

• Like Like x 1