1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

The Cowboy and the Lady

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Ray&Donna, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    Another family event without you, Bobby. Another rodeo come and gone. Will you be home for Christmas? Will I ever see you again?

“Grandma, could you take us roller skating this weekend?”

Miss Ellie looked up from her table of thank you cards at the sound of John Ross’s voice. Christopher trailed him into the kitchen. “Did you ask your mother for permission?”

He nodded. “She would take us herself but she had a business meeting that day.”

“We figured you would be the next-best person to ask,” Christopher explained.

Miss Ellie nodded. “I would be glad to take you, as your grandpa Clayton will be out of town on business this weekend. It would be nice to spend some time with my two grandsons.” She smiled warmly at them, and they thanked her before they quickly left the kitchen.

Donna’s next week was another flurry of campaign appearances. She shook more hands than she could even count, and her only respite came in nights spent at the ranch with her cowboy and their perfect daughter, although those were outnumbered by nights at hotels. She spent most of her time in the western end of the state, while Luke took care of the eastern portion where their base was the strongest. The campaign was helped immensely, and Donna privately relieved, when Dave took a break from Washington to make several appearances on her behalf in the southern portion of the state—the “San Antone Swing” as Donna called it.

When Cliff called one day and said they needed to raise more money, Donna looked for a way she could ask for further donations without actually coming out and asking for them. She could have told Cliff that fundraising was his job, but with a substantial lead in the polls she didn’t want to risk a schism within her campaign. It was a warm day in September, sunny and seasonal, when she made her speech near the Alamo.

“Friends, honored guests, colleagues and members of the press: we are very close now to completing a successful campaign to take back the state of Texas and deliver a better future for our children and their children. We have the chance to restore some semblance of honesty and integrity to politics in Austin. We are on the verge of revitalizing our system of education and our economy, while creating better financial opportunities for young people and senior citizens alike. I can only hope that undecided voters who might be in the audience today will relate to my campaign platform and the ideas I have espoused.”

As she continued to speak, the crowd became more spirited. As soon as she finished, boisterous chants of “We Want Donna, We Want Donna” began to sweep through the audience. She thanked them abundantly, and fell asleep that night in her hotel room feeling more confident than she ever had in her life.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    So nice to read an update of this story. :)
    I think it's so cute how Miss Ellie took John Ross and Chris roller skating. Also I guess lack of funds is something that all political campaigns faces at one time or another.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    Rain dripped from the eaves and gutters of the house the next Saturday morning. The humidity was so thick that it had turned Braddock into a foggy ghost town. Donna lay in the bed in her nightshirt, with Ray positioned between her legs. He massaged one foot, and then the other, going back and forth until she purred with satisfaction.

“I am so glad Miss Ellie offered to take Margaret this weekend,” she murmured. “I love our daughter, but I needed some extra attention.”

“Maggie is fine,” Ray said. “The only time she was out of my sight this week was the day Carson and I went to Fort Worth.”

“Meanwhile, this weather is keeping you off the ranch and here with me this morning,” she teased. “Just the way I like it.” She blew him a kiss and he leaned down to leave a series of love bites on her neck. “I guess you’re done with my feet.”

“For now,” he admitted, kissing the column of her throat, down to the fabric that covered her chest. Ray lowered his hands to her hips, pushing up the shirt until her body was bared to him. Tipping his head toward her right breast, he took it in his mouth. She hummed in satisfaction. As he suckled there, first one nipple and then the other, his fingers found the sensitive spot between her thighs and began to stroke it. She vocalized her pleasure fully as he used his free hand to worry and reshape her breasts, giving each one his lips’ full attention.

As he rubbed, he could feel the first orgasm move through her body. He captured her shouts of joy within his mouth, and taking her hips in his hand entered her with a deep, fluid stroke. Her hands found their way to his lower back, the fingertips sinking in as he sank into her. He moved assuredly, intimately, and passionately, and she followed his motions with corresponding ones, soft where he was hard, smooth where he was rough, and sweet where he was coarse. They moved together in unison, in a dance as old as time, reaching climax together in a place occupied by just the two of them.

Afterward they lay together like a pair of spoons, intimately joined at the thighs, caressing and teasing and basking in the afterglow of their lovemaking.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    While things were going on as usual back at Southfork, Bobby was finally rescuing Pam. He had watched the warehouse for several weeks, until he’d figured out the schedule of guards, and when the doctor came to visit, and he had formulated a plan in his head. He never once saw anyone who resembled Katherine enter or leave the building, so he figured she must have left the country again. Why didn’t I tell the police that she was back in Texas? he asked himself repeatedly. On this particular day, there were only two guards on duty. He quickly subdued the first one, tying his hands and feet together on the off-chance he woke up, itching for a fight.

The second guard was much easier to subdue, as his attention was fully engrossed in the dirty magazine he studied. Way to hire help from the top drawer, sister-in-law, Bobby though dryly. He looked around and noted that there was only one door in the room aside from the entrance. If he’d followed his hunch and made the correct decision, he was mere heartbeats away from being reunited with his beloved, the only woman he would ever love.

He found the door unlocked, but the room beyond was black as night. “Pamela?” he called out, switching on his flashlight.

“Bobby?” replied a very small voice. His skin tingled, and his spine lost the tension he’d carried for the past year. She was here! He’d found Pammy. His flashlight swept the room until he found the bed where she lay. “Bobby!” she cried out as their eyes met. Her voice was full of tears, and he ran to her, not caring if the room was booby-trapped. He had to be with her again, had to have her against him, hold her in his embrace. She was the woman he loved, the mother of his child. In seconds he closed the distance between them, sweeping her gently into his arms.

“Oh, Pamela,” he breathed hoarsely against her throat. “You’re so beautiful. I love you so much. I’ll never let you out of my sight again.”

“Oh Bobby,” she cried on his shoulder. “I thought Katherine would keep us apart forever this time, just like she tried before. She told me that she was going back to Rome, so I guess we’ll never catch her.”

Bobby laughed. “I’ll put armed guards around the ranch if I have to. When I get you somewhere safe, we’re going to make love until I pass out.” He sighed and looked into her eyes. “I bet you have no idea how much I love you.”

Pam patted him on the side of his face. “Oh, I think I have some idea.” Their lips met and for Bobby, it was like they had never been apart. Time, distance, and circumstance had been unable to tear them apart. He couldn’t wait to bring her home again, but knew that it would be a challenge. She’d been away from her family for a year, and it would be hard to transition back to a normal life—not that the Ewings exactly led normal lives, but normal for them. He had missed his son and mother so much, and he could only hope that Ray would forgive him for some of the things he had said and done before leaving. He missed Sue Ellen and John Ross, Clayton and even Cliff. He loved J.R. but hadn’t missed the constant interference in his life.

If only Donna was still in Dallas, he thought to himself. She could help anybody, no matter the situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    With the campaign drawing to a close, the time had come for another televised debate. While Donna knew her opponent was inept and out of touch, it still made her nervous to face Senator Graham. She remained self-assured and confident in her platform, but she was only human. With the notion in mind that this could be her last opportunity to speak to a statewide audience, the campaign brain trust—Donna, Luke, Dave, and Cliff—had gathered at her offices in Arlington to do some prep work.

“What if I don’t have enough experience, and I can’t convince anyone that I am the best candidate for the job?” she asked the three men who were her biggest cheering section outside of the Ewing family.

“Your experience speaks for itself,” Cliff replied succinctly.

Dave nodded. “You’ve been working behind the scenes for over ten years, making sure that the people of Texas had health care, responsible land management, and your work on the TEC made you a household name,” he reminded her. “You’ve done everything a person who could do in politics short of running for office—until now.”

“Your work on the oil lobby saved a lot of jobs in this state,” Luke added. “There are thousands employed by the independent oil companies, and if they don’t vote for you they’re simply ungrateful.”

“Or they would rather vote for a man,” she countered. “A man who has been in Austin for decades and knows how the game is played—dirty as that may be.”

“He doesn’t have what you have,” Cliff reminded her. “You’ve given the people of Texas someone to believe in.”

“Even Washington has taken notice of this election,” Dave said. “I heard some men talking recently about your campaign and they said ‘a star is born’. I guess they didn’t realize you’ve been a star on the local scene for years.”

The four of them worked through a list of sample questions, prepping Donna for her debate and making sure she was ready for anything that might come her way. By the time the meeting broke up, much of her nervousness had subsided, and she mentally prepared herself with lots of positive and upbeat self-talk. Practicing the questions and answers in her head didn’t hurt, either.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    Finally Bobby's found Pam! :spinning:
    I'm glad he was able to locate her at last and that it wasn't yet another fake lead. I'll look forward to read how the others will react once he'll bring her home to Southfork with him. :)

Also I wonder if Donna will win or lose the election...
    I am sure she will be able to hold her own against her opponent in the tv debate though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Mrs Bobby James Ewing Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +870
    Great updates Ray&Donna. :)I am so happy that Bobby has finally located Pam and I am looking forward to their reunion with their son Christopher, Pam's brother Cliff. and the rest of the Ewing family. :) I also hope Donna wins the election as well because she will make a great Governor for Texas. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    Bobby rolled over on the hotel mattress. After months of sleeping in his van it felt good to be in a real bed again. Pam slept in the bed opposite him—he’d gotten a room with two beds in case she’d been uncomfortable the first night back with him. He had heard her cry out once in the night, presumably after a nightmare. He imagined it had taken some time for her eyes to adjust to the sunlight after so many months locked in darkened rooms. As though she knew he was thinking about her, she stirred in the bed and rolled over to face him. “Good morning, Bobby.”

He smiled with some fragility. “Good morning, Pamela.” He was afraid if he blinked his eyes she would disappear as though part of a dream. He blinked the sleep from his eyes—she was still there, smiling back at him. “How did you sleep?”

She laughed softly. “Not as well as I would have in your arms.”

He smiled at her with more confidence. “I didn’t want to rush you into anything. It’s been a long time.”

“You are my husband,” she reminded him. “My friend and lover. We’re safe now. No one can stop us from being one.” She blew a kiss in his direction. “Remind me of how good we always were together.”

He sat up and left his bed for hers. Placing his weight gently on the mattress, he snuggled into her arms. She ran her hands through his hair, which was longer than it had ever been. She kissed him tenderly, and he nibbled on her lower lip. He ran his hands over her body, feeling it through her clothes, remembering the curves and contours of her waist and hips. Like a thief in the night he plundered inside her pants, letting his fingers rub and massage the mound between her legs. She was already wet for him and they were still completely dressed. He was hard in his jeans and couldn’t wait to get inside her. He wanted to be gentle but her touch was making it impossible.

He lifted her shirt and buried his face between her breasts. He’d always loved them, their perfect size and rosy centers. He used his teeth to open the catch on her bra and then kissed the inside slope of each breast. He found one center and pulled at it with his mouth, and then repeated himself with the other. Her peaks were taut and proud against his lips, and she was rubbing his crotch through his jeans. “Bobby,” she murmured as he kissed her stomach and pulled down her pants. “Love me, Bobby.”

“I do,” he managed to croak out as he opened his jeans and fell between her thighs. They were still semi-dressed but neither could wait. They moved together, making love as though time had never separated them. She opened his shirt and pulled him closer to her, rubbing her face against his torso. They made sweet love, kissing and touching and murmuring until they came together, breathing heavily as the crest overtook them.

“Bobby,” Pam said with a laugh, “we didn’t even manage to get our clothes off!”

He kissed her face and nose. “Not the first time that’s ever happened, though. Remember us getting together inside the pool house at the Andersons?”

“Uh-huh, I do,” she replied, stroking his chin and pulling him closer. She gasped and smiled. “Bobby, are you sure you…? It feels like you’re ready to go again.”

He laughed playfully. “That’s how you’ve always made me, sweetheart—insatiable.”

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    The night had come for the debate, and Donna was waiting backstage, doing last-minute practice with Cliff. “Just remember,” he said, “you’re the best candidate for the job.” He glanced over his shoulder and saw in his peripheral vision his counterpart in the Graham campaign. “They’ll probably repeat some of the questions from the first debate, just to see if they can trip up one or both of you.”

“I watched and re-watched the debate countless times, to the point of memorization,” she assured him. “Of course my positions haven’t changed in the past few months. I’m the same woman I was when I decided to throw my hat in the ring.” Looking in the mirror where she’d been checking her makeup, she smiled at Cliff. “It’s really nice of you to be so supportive, given our history.”

Cliff shook his head. “Ancient history, Donna,” he replied. I always knew you were meant to go far, and I trusted your instincts, even if my mouth didn’t voice it. I was petty and vindictive at times, and downright selfish at others. I was all about what was best for me, not what was best for the state.”

“Well, your support has been invaluable. The original campaign brain trust nearly scuttled the election before I even had a chance to get my message out there.”

Cliff glanced at his watch. “It’s nearly time,” he said. “Good luck out there!” He hurried to find his place backstage and Donna heard the moderator speak to the crowd.

“For this second and final gubernatorial debate, let’s welcome to the stage Senator Clark Graham and Donna Culver Krebbs.” Spirited applause followed, and Donna walked onstage to greet and shake hands with Mr. Graham. Then they headed to their separate podiums on opposite ends of the floor. Cliff hadn’t been wrong—many of the initial questions were repeated from the first debate: previous experiences in politics; economic policy; and the future of energy in the state. Donna reiterated her plan to strengthen industry while also holding it accountable. She also promised to keep a closer eye on the Texas Energy Commission than her predecessor had; too many times it had been treated as some oilman’s personal piggy bank rather than a tool of oversight. Graham’s ideas about job creation were noticeably old-fashioned by comparison. The moderator continued with a new question.

“If elected governor, what would be your first order of business? Senator Graham, let’s start with you.”

He looked gravely at the moderator. “I would launch an inquiry into how this campaign was funded. It seems to me that the hinted-at accusations against the Krebbs-Crawford brain trust disappeared in a puff of smoke, as though someone had something to hide.”

“Mrs. Krebbs?”

Smiling, she looked toward the audience and gave the camera her full attention. “My first order of business would be to assemble a coalition of entrepreneurs and business leaders dedicated to job creation.” She gave her opponent a sidelong glance before continuing. “For me, nothing is as important as building up our state’s economy. Better jobs create better communities and stronger families.” Rapturous applause followed, and it turned out that there were to be no more questions: the candidates were simply tasked with making their final pleas to a mass audience. Neither was done with rallies and fundraisers, but the time for big money making was in the past, and now was the time to appeal to the audience at home, to those undecided voters.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    Looks like Donna did a better impression at the last debate than her opponent did. Let's hope the voters are in her favor.
    Cliff's pep talk was also sweet. I look forward to when Pam is reunited with the rest of her family. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    Upon arriving back in Texas, Bobby’s first order of business was to stop at a convenience store and get a newspaper along with drinks and snacks. He had no clue when Pam had last eaten—she looked pretty healthy in the daylight, though he had given her his sunglasses to shield her eyes against the brilliant sun—but he looked for some high protein items in the store, hoping to stave off hunger until he could find a drive-thru. Pam was mildly scarred from the accident though he was admittedly impressed by the job Katherine’s doctor had done with skin grafts and salves. Still, she was beautiful in his eyes and he wondered how he had lived so long without her. Once he had returned to the van, Pam thanked him for what he had purchased and frowned as she looked his way.

“Bobby, what if Christopher hates me? I’ve been gone for so long and I don’t know if he’ll understand the kidnapping and being held hostage and the burns…am I just being selfish?”

He leaned toward her, resting his arm against her seat. “Christopher knows all about the accident and what he didn’t understand about the kidnapping and my leaving, I’m sure Mama has explained by now. I left him in very capable hands. Sue Ellen promised to look out for him, too, so he’s had an entire family to look after him.”

Pam laughed. “Even J.R.?”

Bobby laughed, too. “With the company gone, I’m sure J.R. has found some way to occupy himself outside of family. John Ross isn’t quite old enough yet to think about a career or anything like that, so I’m sure he and Christopher have been spending plenty of time together.”

With Bobby’s reassurances, Pam began to eat, and continued to do so as he glanced at the newspaper. “The price of oil is up,” he told her after looking at the headlines. He flipped through until something else caught his eye. “Hey, listen to this: Krebbs-Crawford—The Winning Ticket? He continued to read. “Donna Culver Krebbs has acquitted herself nicely in debates against State Senator Clark Graham, but the true test will come in two weeks when voters go to the polls. Will enthusiasm and the fresh ideas presented by Ms. Krebbs and her running mate Lucas Crawford be enough to overcome Graham’s years of experience in Austin? It looks like Donna is back in Texas, where she belongs, and running for governor! I wonder how Ray feels about her seeking office?”

“If Ray has any sense,” Pam replied around a mouthful of food, “he’s her biggest supporter.”

“I wonder if she still has her house in Turtle Creek? Maybe she’d let us stay there a day or two before we return to Southfork.”

“I don’t know, Bobby.” Pam had finished eating. “Should we really stay away from Christopher any longer?”

He nodded, not wanting to talk with his mouth full. “I worry that you’ll be overwhelmed with family and questions and of course Cliff is going to want to know every detail.”

“Cliff drove me crazy that last year at Barnes-Wentworth,” she reminded him, “but I’ve missed him like nothing else. We’re the only Barnes left.”

Bobby smiled. Whatever issues he might have had with his brother-in-law over the years, he knew how important Cliff was to Pam—and Christopher, for that matter. It wasn’t as though Katherine had been any kind of family to them. She had been too busy plotting and planning and scheming to rip the family apart. “This article says that Cliff is the chief fundraiser for the campaign. I guess he’s found his way back to politics, although this time he’s on the side of the Ewings.”

“He always thought the Culvers were on the right side of things,” Pam recalled. “As far as I know, Dave is the only senator to ever spend the night at Southfork.”

“Mama is nothing if not hospitable. Should we head for Dallas?”

Pam laughed. “Just make sure to check the rearview mirror from time to time, Bobby.”

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    Nice update with Bobby and Pam. I don't know why but somehow I can't picture Pam, as someone who eats a lot of junk food.

Cool how they read about Donna's success in the newspaper. I look forward to when Pam's reunited with her son and brother. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    It was a lazy Saturday at the Krebbs house, with no one having any major plans for the day, and so the three of them were spending time together as a family. With the election winding down, Donna was grateful for the extra time with Ray and Margaret.

“Is she old enough to try and ride a horse yet?” Ray asked hopefully about his daughter, who was playing in the floor with Donna and some stuffed animals.

“Soon,” she replied with a smile.

“Horsey,” Margaret echoed, squeezing a stuffed pig.

“I think she needs more cows to play with, like daddy,” Ray declared. “Maybe she’ll be the ranch’s first female foreman.”

“Or the family’s next politician. I think she’s going to be a champion cowgirl before she’s old enough for college, though, because she’s inherited your love for animals and the outdoors.”

“Isn’t she a little young for you to know that?” Ray teased.

“No,” Donna reminded him. “She would much rather play with animals and look at books about horses than touch any kind of doll. She doesn’t seem to display any interest in Barbie, though she still has a few years to decide her preferences. I’m glad it’s finally Saturday. This week has worn me out.”

Ray slid into the floor behind her, where he began to massage her shoulders. “It’s all those interviews and articles and TV reports. You’re a busy woman.”

She angled her head and kissed his fingertips. “Never too busy for you, cowboy.”

He grinned. “I hope not. It’s sexy sneaking around with someone in politics.”

“Is that what we’re doing?” she asked with a laugh. “I thought this was a love affair.”

“It is,” he whispered as he kissed the back of her neck.

“Cow,” Margaret cooed from the floor as she continued to play.

They heard at the same time the noise of tires on the gravel driveway. “I wonder who that could be,” Ray asked, craning his neck toward the glass. He only saw a white slab, like that of a large van or delivery truck.

“Were you expecting anyone?” Donna asked, her fingers tickling Margaret’s back.

Ray stood up and headed for the glass slider. “It’s Bobby,” he said. He pushed the door open and ushered his brother inside.

“Ray,” he said, nodding toward the van, “I tried your white house first but when I didn’t find anyone I figured you might be here. Um, where’s Jenna?”

He shook his head. “As soon as you left to look for Pam, she took the kids and headed to Europe.” Ray smiled then. “Donna and I got back together.”

“Hey there, Bob,” she called from the floor. “I’ve come back to where I belong.”

“Donna,” he said with a smile. “Just the person I was looking for.” He turned toward the van. “Come inside, sweetheart.”

Ray’s face lifted in surprise as Pam emerged from the other side of the van. She didn’t look like an accident victim, but a happy, healthy woman. She walked up to Bobby’s side. “Where did you find her?” Ray asked.

“Over in Arkansas,” Bobby replied. “It’s a…it’s a long story.”

“Come in out of the heat,” Ray said, ushering them inside. They walked past and he closed the door behind them.

Donna stood up and hugged the both of them before they could take their seats. “We saw an editorial about you in the newspaper.” Pam said. “Hopefully you’re going to be our next governor?”

“Ray, are you planning on moving to Austin?” Bobby asked.

He shrugged. “I figured I would split my time between there and here. It’s not that far as the crow flies. That way I can be with my girls and still help with the ranch. We’ve got a new foreman you’ll have to meet, Bob. He’s a great guy. Won the charity rodeo this year and everything.”

Bobby looked toward Donna. “Donna, do you still have your house in Turtle Creek?” She nodded. “I was wondering if you’d let us use it for a few days. I’m ready to get back to Christopher, but I don’t want to overwhelm Pam with family just yet.”

“Of course,” she said. “Just let me get the key for you.”

“What about Katherine?” Ray asked. “Are you in danger?”

“She told me she was going back to Rome,” Pam revealed. “I don’t know why she kidnapped me if she didn’t have a plan in mind. She even hired a doctor to take care of me and do skin grafts. She kept me from my family though, so I’m not ready to let her off the hook.”

Bobby sighed. “Ray, I need to apologize to you. I let a woman come between us and that’s not right. You’ve always been a friend to me and I should have been more understanding.”

Ray dismissed him with a wave of the hand. “Ancient history, Bob. I’m just glad you’re home now, and that the both of us are with our soulmates.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    It was all they had to eat! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    :rlol: at Bobby asking for Jenna. You know at this point in your story I had completely forgotten that Ray was together with Jenna when Bobby left. Oh well at least he never got as far as marrying her!

I wonder what Bobby feels about Jenna leaving town with his son though... :think:

Glad to see that both men are back with their soulmates now! :kiss:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    Pam sat at the kitchen counter while Bobby fixed breakfast. “It was fun playing with Margaret. It reminded me of when Christopher was small.”

Bobby looked at her and smiled. “Maybe we should try again to have one of our own.”

“Trying would be fun,” Pam agreed, “whether anything came from it or not.”

“I’ve been away from Southfork for so long I forgot how good a home-cooked meal can smell,” Bobby said as he handed her a plate of scrambled eggs, toast, and bacon. She thanked him and started eating. “It was nice of Donna to let us use her house for a few days.”

“We’ll have to find some way to return the favor.”

Bobby came over to sit beside Pam with his plate and they began eating together, enjoying the silence of the morning and the joy of being reunited. Bright sun filtered through the windows and birds flitted across the backyard. As he sat there eating, he couldn’t help but wonder what awaited him back at Southfork. Ewing Oil was gone and the ranch was in more than capable hands. He had a wife and son who needed him, but for the first time in his life he felt superfluous. Well, he imagined his mother wouldn’t think so, with Gary permanently in California. Still…

“So, Bobby, what is the first thing you plan to do once we’re back at Southfork?”

He looked at Pam and smiled. “Going for a horseback ride sounds nice. What about you?”

“It’s a little late in the year to take a dip in the pool, so maybe I’ll just spend as much time with Christopher as I can. If I can get my brother to respect my input, I think I’d like to return to Barnes Wentworth. Unless you’d rather I become a stay-at-home wife,” Pam replied.

Bobby laughed. “I think you’d get bored with that. I’ve always liked that about you—that you wanted a career, a life outside of the ranch. I mean, you are the one who encouraged me to become more involved in the oil business.”

“Do you think you’ll ever work in oil again?” she asked seriously.

He sighed. “We’ll see, Pamela. I wouldn’t swear to it on a stack of Bibles. It’ll take some time to get things sorted out once we’re back home.”

They spent three days and nights in Turtle Creek before they headed home to their son. With Ray and Donna keeping their secret, it was going to be one big surprise when Bobby brought Pam back to the ranch.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    Sweet Bobby and Pam scene. It's good to have them reunited and happy together again. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    Christopher sat at the kitchen table doing his schoolwork as Miss Ellie stirred a pot of soup on the stove. “Grandma?”

“Yes, Christopher?”

“Are we going to Aunt Donna’s campaign party next week?”

Miss Ellie smiled. “It’ll be past your bedtime, but I think so. As far as I know, the entire family is going to be there. Perhaps your cousin Lucy will fly in from Atlanta for a visit.”

“I wish my parents were going to be there.” He looked out the window, toward the swimming pool. “I feel like an orphan.”

Miss Ellie couldn’t help but frown. She missed her youngest son, too, as well as her daughter-in-law. “I have a feeling they’ll be coming home very soon.”

“How do you know?” He gave her a skeptical look.

She smiled warmly at him. “Grandmother’s intuition.”

“Oh.” He went back to his homework, frowning the entire time. “I know they wouldn’t miss another rodeo and barbeque.”

Miss Ellie was getting ready to turn off the soup and go find John Ross when she spotted a strange van pulling up in the driveway. It came to a stop near the garage and Bobby alighted from the driver’s side. Her heart filled with joy. Was Pam with him? How was she doing? How extensive were her injuries? “Look, Christopher! Your daddy is home!”

He put down his pencil and was out the sliding glass door before she could say another world. When their eyes met, Bobby lowered to his haunches and caught the streak of lighting in his arms. “I missed you so much, son.” There were tears in both of their eyes as he appraised Christopher for signs of a growth spurt. “Mama!” He hugged Miss Ellie next and she voiced her relief at his safe return after so much time away. “I have someone with me.”

Pam was out of the passenger side of the van before he could announce her presence. She was hugging Christopher, her tears falling atop his hair. He hugged her tightly; it was their first embrace in such a long time. In the hospital she’d been too injured to interact with her family, so she had a lot of lost time to make up for. “Grandma told me you would be coming home, but I didn’t believe it. What took so long? You missed the rodeo and the barbeque and Aunt Donna running for governor and me traveling with her on the airplane and…”

“Is anyone else around?” Bobby asked.

“John Ross is upstairs. Ray and Margaret are at home, while I think Donna is in Houston today. Sue Ellen is working, and J.R. is wherever he goes now that Ewing Oil is gone.”

“I’m sorry we were gone so long, Mama,” Bobby apologized. “I almost gave up hope several times but I couldn’t. Finding Pam was too important. I had to put our family back together again.”

“It’s all right, Bobby.” She smiled at him as she hugged Pam. “You did what you had to do. You’ve always been the determined sort.” It was so hard for her to believe that her family was finally reunited. “Come in and eat, you three. I’ve got soup on the stove, and I know you’ll want to get caught up on everything that’s been happening around here!”

The mood at dinner that night was celebratory, to say the least. Sue Ellen was glad to have Pam to talk to again, and the children were allowed to stay up later than usual. The Krebbs attended with Margaret, none of them giving the slightest hint that the surprise homecoming was no surprise to them. Even J.R. was on his best behavior.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  19. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,635
    Medals:
    Such a sweet scene. Finally they are reunited. I hope Lucy does fly in for Donna's win. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Medals:
    The months of campaigning, fundraising, debating, and shaking hands had finally come to an end, and it was Election Day in Texas. Donna cast her vote early in the morning, and then headed to her campaign headquarters for a series of interviews. Her nerves calmed and any concern for her prospects had drifted away as the weeks passed. It was now in the hands of the voters, and she would accept their decision no matter what.

As the day progressed, volunteers and bigwigs alike filtered through the building. Cliff dropped by around lunch to let her know that voter turnout had reached better than ninety percent in places like Marshall, and that similar numbers were being reported all over East Texas, Donna’s stronghold. He was still over the moon about having been reunited with Pam. Luke arrived in the afternoon, having voted in his home district before heading to Arlington. “The day is finally here,” he said nervously, taking her hands. “I’ve been praying for what I want, hoping that it’s also God’s will. I can’t help thinking of all we can do in Austin if the people will just give us a chance.”

“I’ve been praying on it too,” Donna told him. “It’s in God’s hands now.”

With a flurry of activity, the day passed fairly quickly. Around four in the afternoon, Ray arrived with Margaret. Gradually the other Ewings arrived, children in tow. Donna wondered if the whole thing wouldn’t be a little bit boring for them, but she was grateful for the family’s support. She led Ray to her office so they could have a bit of privacy.

“Did you take Margaret with you to vote this morning?”

“Uh-huh.” He leaned in and gave her a quick kiss that left her breathless. “I think a lot of people were there to vote for you.”

“I hope so,” she said, kissing Margaret on the cheek and setting her atop the desk. “I’ve missed you, sweet girl.”

“Mama,” she said, lifting her hands skyward to rest them on Donna’s cheeks. The gesture almost brought a tear to her eye.

“You two are my life. While my circle may expand, you’ll always be my heart. You make me a better person.”

Ray grinned. “You’ve been making me a better person for years. It just took me a while to realize it. Thick skull, I guess.”

“I’m so glad we got married again this weekend.”

“Bobby and Pam have witnessed both of our marriages. Makes me wonder what I can do to repay the favor.”

Donna smiled and ran her fingers along his face, his chin and his shaven cheeks. “I think we already repaid the favor when we kept their return a secret and I let them stay in my house.”

“You’re gonna have to put that house up for sale,” he reminded her. “We’re moving to Austin, but the brick house is going to be our home for the rest of our lives.”

“I can’t think of any place I’d rather be.” They kissed again, cognizant that their toddler was watching them. “I hate to cut this short—we’ll continue it later, in private—but I’d better get back out there and rub elbows with my supporters and the rest of the family!”

“Good luck,” he said, taking Margaret into his arms and following her to the door.

Waiting near the door were the Andersons, Punk and Mavis, two early supporters who had stuck it out through the entire campaign. “We sure are gonna miss the two of you when you go off to Austin,” Punk declared.

“Donna,” Mavis said, taking her hands, “I’ve had such a good time working on your campaign. It’s given me a purpose in life that I thought only the DOA would do for me.”

“I’m so grateful for your help,” Donna said after exchanging a cheek kiss with her friend.

“Marilee and Linda will be here later,” she said as Donna moved away. She moved until she found her mother-in-law. Ray stayed behind to chat with Punk for a bit.

“Miss Ellie,” Donna said, taking her best friend’s hands. “You look sensational.”

The elder woman smiled. “Donna, we are all so proud of you. Imagine it, being friends with the governor of Texas. I mean, we were friends with Sam, but he was closer to Jock than me. I never could have imagined something like this back when you were leading those meetings in the Takapa days.” She glanced at the people gathered in the room. “Though I am sure Cliff thought otherwise. Is Dave going to be here tonight?”

“No ma’am,” she said regretfully. “He sponsored a bill that the Senate will be voting on, and he’s trying to drum up support. I guess I’ll be getting a taste of that myself if things go well tonight!”

“Have you written your acceptance speech?” Clayton asked.

Donna laughed. “I have something in my head for either eventuality,” she assured him.

She came across Bobby and Pam next, smiling as though they had just won the election themselves. “Pam, I hope this isn’t overwhelming you,” Donna said apologetically.

“It’s a little bit overwhelming,” she admitted, “but I’d overcome any hurdle to be with my family. Christopher told me how kind you were while Bobby and I were away.”

“He was fascinated on his trips with me,” Donna told them. “Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t enter politics himself someday.”

“I’ll try to encourage him not to,” Bobby teased, no doubt thinking about his own time in Austin. He looked around the room. “Where’s Ray?”

“Talking with Punk and Mavis.” Donna’s eye was drawn to the door as several members of the DOA entered the room. “If you’ll excuse me, I need to confer with some other supporters.”

“Good luck!” Pam said as she went toward Cliff and the Cartel. By the time she had met with as many of her supporters as was possible, it was time for the evening news to air. She walked toward the room where Cliff and Luke now waited, watching KDAL as they reported from the two different campaign headquarters. They also aired a brief interview with Donna; her opponent had been too busy pounding the pavement in West Texas to be interviewed that day. They reported that voter turnout had been quite heavy throughout the state and that all polling indicated an easy with for the Krebbs-Crawford campaign. An analyst said that Graham had never truly been in the race, despite his years of experience in Austin. His ideas were considered outdated and unoriginal. Donna watched nervously, waiting for the first numbers to come in.

“You’ve got this in the bag,” Cliff assured her.

“I wish I had your confidence, Mr. Barnes,” Luke replied.

“Cliff has been around politics for a long while,” Donna pointed out. “It was his second career, before he became an oilman.”

• Like Like x 2