The Cowboy and the Lady

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Ray&Donna, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,310
    Medals:
    What Donna and Ray are suddenly married and you didn't let us read about the wedding?! :(

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  2. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    It's important that they remarried, but the election is the focus of these updates ;)

As the minutes ticked by, Ray gave himself a stern talking-to. Maybe he’d resented Donna’s success in the past, but he could handle being married to a powerful woman, couldn’t he? It wasn’t his issues he needed to focus on now—he had a daughter to bring up, and she needed both parents in a strong, happy marriage. Donna deserved a supportive husband after some of the things he’d put her through over the years. Being in the public eye, and having people depending on you, wasn’t always easy. She was going to need him now more than ever. As he stood in the room that was packed with supporters, he could hear Margaret’s shallow breathing against his shoulder. The excitement of the day had worn her out, and she was napping soundly. He spoke to a variety of people, but he was most comfortable with family. He was not well-versed in the oil business despite it being the source of his trust from Jock, and what he knew about politics could fit inside a thimble.

“What are you planning to do with your ranch now that you’ve moved back on Southfork?” Bobby asked him.

Ray smiled. “Why do you ask? Finally thinking about cutting the apron strings?”

He laughed softly. “Maybe. Just between you and me, I think Pam and I might be happier with a little more privacy. We’d be close enough to have dinner at Southfork every night, but I wouldn’t have to worry about interference in my marriage.”

“How much you wanna offer me for it?” Ray asked with a grin.

“We’ll talk money after the election,” Bobby assured him. Pam came up to grab him and they walked over to speak to Jordan Lee. Ray headed toward Clayton who had just finished speaking with a party official.

“Lots of important people here tonight,” Ray observed. Clayton nodded.

“Some of them I haven’t seen in years. There’s been a lot of excitement surrounding this election, more so than usual. People really believe in Donna.”

“I’m awfully proud of her, too. She really wants to help people.”

“It’s going to be real different without you. I’m going to be selling those cutting horses by myself.”

Conversations about the future and their expectations for their new governor continued as Donna, Luke, and Cliff remained in the other room watching the news coverage, which continued to broadcast election reports until the polls closed. Analysts discussed the race and its implications for the future: the candidates had vastly different ideas about how to improve life in the state, and a winner might use the office as a springboard for something larger. The room had just filled to capacity when the campaign brain trust finally returned to announce the news, and everyone was still talking when Cliff interrupted them.

“Could I have your attention, please? Mrs. Krebbs would like to say a few words to you.”

“Thank you, Cliff,” she said, moving to the center of the crowd. “Senator Graham has just called me to concede the race. We won by half a million votes!”

Huge applause and whoops filled the room. Clapping followed, there were ear-splitting whistles, and men kissed their wives. Donna and Luke held their hands high in a show of victory. Ray had a huge smile on his face as a reporter came forward to interview the winning candidate.

“Your entire life just changed, Ray.”

He looked at Clayton and smiled. “Looks like I’m going to be buying high-dollar cowboy hats from now on.”

“Mrs. Krebbs, do you have anything to say to the press?”

She smiled into the camera. “I just want to thank all of my supporters, the people who came out and voted and those who worked tirelessly behind the scenes to make this happen. Even if you didn’t vote for me, I plan to be everyone’s governor.”

“Will Mr. Krebbs be coming with you to Austin?”

She laughed. “I certainly hope so! We are married, after all.” Applause filled the room again. When the reporter stepped away to speak with the new lieutenant governor, Ray came forward to kiss his wife. “Even though I sprung the entire thing on you, you’ve supported me like no one else. How did I get lucky enough to find a man like you, Ray Krebbs?” He pulled her close and rubbed his cheek against hers, so he could whisper something in her ear. It made her feel even more wonderful than winning the election had.

“There was a song out last year, by Dan Seals. I think it sums up the way I feel about you, Donna: ‘If I had only one friend left, I’d want it to be you’.”

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,310
    Medals:
    Yay! I am glad that Donna won the election. She'd make a great governor. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Mrs Bobby James Ewing Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +904
    Great updates Ray&Donna. :) Bobby and Pam's reunion with their son Christopher and Bobby's family was perfect and I am so happy that Donna won the election. :) She is going make a great Governor for the state of Texas. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    Epilogue

Donna proved to be the most popular governor in the history of Texas. Her two terms brought with them unprecedented economic growth as well as significant drops in unemployment as well as the poverty rate. There was also a marked increase in the number of students attending college on academic scholarships. Near the end of her first term, she was blessed with a son, Michael Raymond Krebbs. For his part, Ray acquitted himself nicely as first husband. He proved a staunch advocate for ranchers and the cattle industry as a whole, and the preservation of natural resources, while keeping his boots firmly planted at Southfork as the foreman emeritus.

Bobby and Pam both went to work at Barnes Wentworth, which proved beneficial as Cliff became more deeply immersed in politics at the local and state levels. Under their guidance it became the largest independent oil company in the state. J.R. returned to the oil business as well, but with the cartel firmly in Cliff’s corner he found his sphere of influence to be much smaller. The increased oversight from Austin and Washington didn’t help him, either.

Sue Ellen was the first appointee to Donna’s job coalition, and together they helped bring a new manufacturing plant to the metroplex. Sue Ellen expanded her business to include a variety of women’s garments. Soon she had more applicants than she had jobs available.

Harrison Bond and Shaw Williamson were found not guilty of any fraud or malfeasance in regard to campaign fundraising, but they were still blackballed from state politics. Cliff proved a more than apt party chair and he hired three women to handle the fundraising for future elections.

When their time in Austin was done, Ray and Donna brought their children home to Southfork, where they enjoyed horseback riding as a family, eating dinner with Miss Ellie and Clayton, and spending time with their young cousin Becky. Pam had become pregnant after returning home, once she and Bobby moved into their new house. John Ross and Christopher went to college, the former joining his father in the oil business and the latter working in the field of alternative energies.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,310
    Medals:
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful story with us Tommie. :hat:
    This was so much better than what happened on screen that year that I wish it is what had happened instead! :cool1
    I am sad to see this story coming to an end though but I am happy to hear that you are back to writing other books instead. Keep up the good work. You rock! :clap:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1