1. Support Soapchat.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Soap Chatters. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute, it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert free, so we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards any forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop some of the down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. All contributions are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dismiss Notice

The Cowboy and the Lady

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Ray&Donna, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,744
    Medals:
    That is very kind of you. :bowing

Outside of Abby, and perhaps April (though by that point he probably didn't even notice anymore) J.R. was never terribly accepting of his brothers' wives. I figured if he could never get past the fact that Pam was a Barnes, he probably wouldn't care to acknowledge that Donna was a Krebbs much longer than she was a Culver. :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Another amazing update, @Ray&Donna! :jolly: :10::10: :bravo: :10::10:

I loved "listening" to Ray and Donna reminiscing about the glory days ... and also trying to analyze what exactly happened at Southfork this evening! :fondle:

Oh yes ... the spark between Ray and Donna never died! :kiss::kiss::kiss: And I'll bet that it won't be long before we'll see a big "fire" of love unfold ... ... perhaps at the old brick house where they spent the happiest years of their lives? :):):)

Please update soon! :best:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,744
    Medals:
    Donna opted to feed Margaret before she got dressed that morning, which turned out to be a good idea. Her daughter still wasn’t a fan of being weaned, and didn’t always take to the healthy food Donna was trying to acquaint her with. Admittedly she couldn’t blame her; some of the cereal resembled paste more than food. Dr. Danvers recommended it though, and she trusted his judgment. “Could you please eat something, sweetie?” Donna pushed the spoon to the girl’s lips. Margaret simply scowled at her and refused to open up. “Giving me the Ray Krebbs face this morning, huh? Maybe your daddy will have better luck with you than I am.” She removed the bowl and spoon from the high chair table and covered them with plastic wrap, stuffing the bowl into the refrigerator in the hopes that she might decide to be hungry before the morning was over. Donna gathered her into her arms and headed back upstairs to get dressed.

With Margaret safely in her crib, Donna headed into her closet to get dressed. A slip and stockings were topped with an emerald-toned jacket and skirt, very light makeup, and with a bit of effort and aerosol, her hair looked better than it had all week. She had just finished transferring her essentials into a coordinating purse when Ray knocked at the front door. Donna hoped not to appear too eager, but she did hurry downstairs to let him in. As promised, he was prompt—she still had plenty of time before the car would arrive to take her to the Quorum. “Good morning,” she said, greeting him with a smile. He looked rather handsome that morning, she decided. The coat was familiar—having grown up poor, Ray wore clothes until they were worn out—and she knew that she was going to need to grab a topcoat from the closet before she departed.

“Good morning,” he replied, smiling as he entered. He stopped to remove his hat and coat and hang them in the main hall.

“I tried to feed Margaret earlier,” she told him, leading Ray up to the nursery. “But she wasn’t having any of it. I covered up the food and put it back in the fridge. Maybe you’ll have better luck than I did.”

“I’ll try my best,” Ray said earnestly.

“I forget sometimes that you can coax even the sickest cow or horse into eating, so you should have no problem with a child.”

“Well if she’s as stubborn as me, I might be fighting a losing battle.” Ray laughed, and Donna smiled, thinking that he didn’t know the half of it.

Margaret was staring at them through the prison bars of the crib when they entered. “Daddy’s here,” Donna announced, and instantly her face lit up. “The changing table is right here—the diapers and wipes are stored in the drawer beneath, and there are also towels in case she spits up or makes a mess at the other end. Fresh clothes, if you should need them, are in the closet or the chest, and all of the important numbers are on the fridge downstairs—doctor, campaign manager, the hotel, my campaign headquarters…” Donna picked Margaret up and handed her to Ray. “Of course I also have your house and Southfork on there, but you know those numbers already.” She knew it was a lot of information for him to digest all at once. “I hope I’m not overwhelming you,” she apologized.

Ray shook his head. “Margaret, tell your mama not to worry so much.” She gurgled cooed and Donna relaxed. They were both smiling at her, and it was so adorable that someone should’ve had a camera and snapped about fifty pictures of them—father and daughter, with the same eyes and expression and trying to encourage her in their separate ways. This was how it should be, right?

“You’re okay with the feeding and the changing of diapers and reading to her and putting her down for a nap?”

“Yeah, I’ve got this.” His smile was very reassuring, and Donna allowed herself to believe him. “What I don’t know I’ll learn on the job.”

“Okay,” she said, relinquishing control into his capable hands. “I’ll see you this afternoon. Bye, sweetie.” She leaned in to kiss Margaret on the cheek, but Ray was so close that she brushed his cheek as well. The masculine scent of aftershave, and the slight scrape of a freshly-shaven jaw filled her with a potent concoction of memories. She temporarily lost her bearings until she remembered that she was leaving. She bade them goodbye and headed downstairs, taking time to grab her coat and bundle herself up against the cold. The clouds in the air seemed to portend doom. As Donna hopped into the limo, she hoped it wasn’t a sign of things to come.

“Look what I brought for you, sweetie,” Ray said as he handed Margaret the package. He helped her with the paper—her fingers could grip his, but she wasn’t used to ripping into gifts yet. That would come later. The addition to her toy collection, which Donna had said was perfectly safe, was a plastic cowboy. Honestly he thought it looked more like a chew toy for a dog, but it contained no moving parts, nothing that could be detached and swallowed by a small child. Margaret squeezed it joyfully and Ray smiled to match her happiness. The cowboy smiled broadly, too—Ray figured the toy had never been saddle-sore or thrown or kicked, or had his heart broken. Maybe it was foolish to expect to go through life without experiencing pain or hardship. Ray had been heartbroken many times before he reached adulthood—abandonment by Amos, his mother’s death, his struggles with school and never feeling like he fit in amongst his peers. Southfork was the first time he’d ever felt like he fit in somewhere, and it was years before he understood why. Not that he had been cultured or sophisticated like the Ewings—he’d lived in the bunkhouse and learned to drink and carouse before he was even old enough to legally buy liquor or women. But Texas had seemed wide-open and rife with potential, especially when compared with Emporia. It was small and stifling, with everyone always gossiping and sticking their nose in the business of others. Braddock might have been the same, but if you were willing you could at least escape to Dallas or Fort Worth and lose yourself among the crowds of unfamiliar faces and people who, like you, were looking for a good time or a way to escape their troubles.

That life was as foreign to Ray now as the surface of Mars. He was a father and a businessman, not necessarily sophisticated but mature and well-traveled. He was wealthy and independent. He’d gone through periods of promiscuity and celibacy. He’d lost three different parents and buried a cousin. He’d built a house and set miles of fence posts. He’d been married and divorced, the latter of which he regretted. Margaret played contentedly, oblivious to his period of introspection.

After she had played a bit longer, he decided he ought to try and feed her. He picked her up and set her in the highchair, then headed to the fridge and removed the saran-wrapped bowl. Donna said the doctor swore it was healthy, but it looked like paste. No wonder Margaret didn’t want to eat it! Filled with lust and yearning, he recalled that Donna’s breasts and nipples had been pretty enjoyable to him over the years, and being weaned from the not just the parts but the woman as a whole had been really unpleasant. As much as he might have wanted to change her into a domestic, he really missed their active sex life. The familiarity and tenderness they’d shared were far better than notching one’s bedpost with an endless series of barflies. He stirred the cereal, placed it in the microwave, and stirred it again before letting it cool atop the counter. Next he figured that Margaret would need some milk to wash down her breakfast, so he looked back in the fridge and found several bottles which Donna had prepared for him to warm atop the stove.

“Cowboy,” Margaret giggled. Ray laughed at his awkwardness in the kitchen, looking for a pot to fill with water so the formula could be warmed gently.

“Just a minute, sweetie,” he replied, knowing all the while that she had no earthly clue what he was saying. After filling the pot, he turned the burner onto medium heat and waited for the water to boil. He picked up the bowl, which had cooled to a safe temperature, and headed for the table. He sat adjacent to Margaret’s high chair and lifted the spoon to her mouth. She opened without hesitation and took a bite. As though the food had magically turned into candy, she giggled and waved her fists at him, begging for more. “This is easier than I thought,” Ray said to himself. “Can you eat some more for Daddy?” She responded by finishing the entire bowl of cereal. Afterward Ray wiped off her mouth and returned to the stove, where he set the bottle in the dancing pot. Giving it a few minutes to come up to the right temperature, he tested the liquid on his wrist before heading back to the highchair. He pulled Margaret into his arms and allowed her to sip at the bottle while he held her against him. What a nice sensation it was to shield her small form against him while she suckled peacefully. With the bottle empty, he changed her position again so that she was held against his left shoulder. Gently he patted her on the back until she expelled the air her stomach had captured during the meal. Afterward she yawned, and Ray thought perhaps it was getting to be her naptime. He returned her to her crib, waited for her to drift into a sound sleep, and headed back to the kitchen to clean up the dirty dishes. He also thought perhaps he would check the refrigerator and see if he could whip up something for Donna to eat when she arrived home, a meal that she could warm in the oven since he imagined she would be tired from the excitement of the day.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    Cute how Margaret was so happy to see her daddy. She seems perfectly content in his company. :)

Funny how the cowboy toy looked like a chew toy for a dog. :lmao:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    :spinning::spinning::spinning: Yippi!!! :spinning::spinning::spinning:
    Another AMAZING update that most definitely deserves a full score! :10::10::10:

You give such beautiful and detailed descriptions, @Ray&Donna! Not only about what's actually happening and thus apparent to the eye, but also all the incredible stuff inside Ray and Donna's minds. I have no problem what so ever imagining the whole thing been "played out" right before me on my big screen TV! And boy, do I love it! :bravo:

:rlol: ... so Margaret isn't into baby food from the store??? At least, when her mom tries to feed her! :giggle: Let me give Donna some parental advice: Go out and fill your fridge with lots of fresh vegestables and make your daughter some homemade baby food! Trust me, your daughter will be licking the bowls afterwards! :wink@

I loved when Ray took a trip down memory lane and thought about the life that he has lived so far! :clap:
    I absolutely adored Ray with his daughter! :):):) So incredibly precious! :ch:

A few phrases that I really enjoyed:
    • "Giving me the Ray Krebbs face this morning, huh?" :gotcha:
    • "The coat was familiar - having grown up poor, Ray wore clothes until they were worn out ..." :cool1
    • "I forget sometimes that you can coax even the sickest cow or horse into eating, so you should have no problems with a child." :D
    • "Well if she's as stubborn as me, I might be fighting a losing battle."
    • "What I don't know I'll learn on the job."
    • "The masculine scent of aftershave, and the slight scrape of a freshly-shaven jaw filled her with a potent concotion of memories."
    • "The familiarity and tenderness they'd shared, were far better than notching one's bedpost with an endless series of barflies."
    • "He also thought perhaps he would check the refrigerator and see if he could whip up something for Donna to eat, when she arrived home, a meal that she could heat in the oven since he imagined she would be tired from the excitement of the day."
    Please update real soon, @Ray&Donna! :dance: I love the way this fanfic is moving along! :spinning:

PS. I'm so excited! :) Today, I finally got around to ordering 11 of your books! The only one they didn't have in stock was "Love for sale"! :( I realize that four of your books are "joined" together! But besides from that, what order do you recommend that I read your books in? ;) This summer, I'll be reading one great romance novel after another ... I can't wait! :kiss: BTW, are you working on a new novel? (i.e. when you're not writing on your amazing fanfic?)? :wave:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,744
    Medals:
    For Donna, the morning was filled with speeches and shaking hands. Bond, Williamson, and Simmons all delivered remarks on her behalf, as did Cliff. While Senator Thompson was unable to make an appearance due to an illness in the family, Dave was on hand to provide the introductory speech. There were many familiar faces crowded into the hotel’s conference center, as well as scores of people she didn’t recognize but hoped to get to know over the coming days and months. She had a chance to briefly speak to Miss Ellie, Clayton, and Sue Ellen, as well as Punk and Mavis and several members of the Cartel. While she didn’t consider herself beholden to big business, Donna also wouldn’t shun their assistance. As anyone in politics knew, campaigns were getting larger and more expensive all the time—in some cases, absurdly so. The room was filled with a cacophony of sound, and as time neared for her to speak, she felt her nervousness increase. She knew the room was filled with supporters, but for some reason she couldn’t get it out of her mind that she was a novice when it came to holding elected office; she would have rather debated her opponent one-on-one than give a speech to this crowd. But then she reminded herself of something—if she was elected governor, and she had a very good chance of achieving that, the speeches were only beginning. Her mental pep talk was just wrapping up when she heard Dave enthusiastically announce her to the audience, and as she stood from her seat on the dais, the crowd rose to its feet with thunderous applause. Her confidence bolstered, she stepped to the microphone and smiled. “Thank you,” she said, nodding and smiling at her rapt audience. “Thank you,” she repeated. “You may be seated, if you like. I’ll try not to take up too much of your time.” She launched into the speech she and Garner had worked on for the better part of five days, editing and amending and practicing in front of a mirror until it was just right. She spoke about her background, the place of her birth and her long history of public service. Donna laid out the tenets of her campaign, and the things she hoped to accomplish while she was in office. She listed several reforms that she hoped to implement, as well as new programs would like to launch and initiatives she wanted her administration to supervise. Donna mentioned some of the issues that had plagued their state over the past several years, including but not limited to the plight of the independent oil companies and their employees, the utterly shameful practices of the banking industry, and the need for new sources of employment for men and women across the state. She also touched on the need to ensure that the children of Texas were not falling behind their peers in other states. Finally, she took the time to remind them that she was a working mother and that she was better able than most to understand the struggles of a single parent in the eighties. “Thank you again for your support,” she concluded, “and I would be incredibly grateful for your support come May and again in November. God bless you all, and have a safe trip home.” Again the room was filled with thunderous applause and cheers of approval. Donna had never been so humbled in her entire life.

“You did great, Donna,” Harrison Bond told her. “In fact, Roy Ralston would love to have you on his show Friday. Would that be okay with you?”

Donna wasn’t Ralston’s biggest fan—she thought his ego was the size of Texas Stadium, if not larger—but recognized the opportunity to expose her platform to a mass audience. “Yes,” she replied, smiling at her campaign team. Shaw gave her a thumbs-up and a smile, which was about what she expected. Garner was effusive with praise, for both her poise and her wardrobe, telling her that she dressed exactly like a high-powered and capable politician should.

“Donna, there are some people here you really need to meet,” Dave urged, and she left with him to visit some major donors who had flown in from Houston just for the fundraiser. While she was incredibly grateful for their support, in that moment she would have been happy just to see Ray and Margaret. But duty called, and for now she could only hope they were getting along fine without her.

Ray looked at the sky with a sense of insecurity. He didn’t know the exact time the fundraiser was supposed to end—Donna had said between two and three in the afternoon—but decades of keeping one eye on the sky while keeping Southfork up and running regardless of the weather had him more worried than ever about the forecast. He hated to think of Donna—to say nothing of the people who’d come to hear her speak—trapped in a winter storm. Unfortunately his experience with meteorological phenomenon led him to believe they were in for a doozy—snow, freezing rain, and strong winds would cripple those unlucky enough to be on the road when it hit. So it came with a great sense of relief when he saw the limo pull into the driveway around 1:30 rather than 3:30.

Donna alighted from the car wearing her topcoat, shielding her against the harsh wind. She turned and waved goodbye to the driver before she headed up the walk and to the front door. “Ray?” she asked as he opened the door and welcomed her inside. “Is everything all right? How is Margaret?”

“Sleeping like an angel,” he said with a greater sense of calm now that she was home. “I’m glad you got finished early. I haven’t liked the looks of the clouds since I got up this morning.”

She nodded. “That’s actually why I’m home early. We were supposed to stay until 3:30 or 4, but someone said there was a winter storm warning in effect and so we decided to send everyone home early. I guess there’s a norther blowing in.” Donna looked at him curiously. “Shouldn’t you be headed home, too?”

Ray shook his head firmly. “I left the animals with plenty of hay. I’d rather stay here with the two of you, unless that makes you uncomfortable. If the power goes out, you might need someone to build a fire and shovel the sidewalk.” Donna walked toward the closet and removed her coat, hanging it up inside.

“That’s probably not a bad idea,” she replied quietly, in a hesitant voice. “What about a change of clothes?”

“I’ve slept in my clothes before,” Ray said regretfully. “Those two times I was in jail, or when I was passed out and sleeping one off.” Their eyes met and he frowned. “I guess those are things I shouldn’t tell Margaret when she grows up.”

Donna nodded an agreement. “So you didn’t have any trouble with her today?”

“Not a whit. After you left we played for a bit. Then I fed her without issue, and put her down for a nap. After she woke up I fed her lunch, played with her a while longer, and now she’s sleeping again.”

“Not fair,” Donna said, smiling. “She never lets me get through two consecutive feedings without at least throwing a tantrum during one of them.”

“Children are like horses. If they feel like you’re nervous, then they’ll be nervous, too.”

“Says the expert horseman,” Donna teased.

“And the amateur father,” Ray admitted. “I like learning on the job, but it’s gonna take me a while to make up for lost time.”

“That’s the story of our life, isn’t it?” Donna asked. “You and I, always making up for lost time.” She smiled at him, and he felt it. Like an arrow to the heart, she stirred those familiar emotions yet again. “Why don’t you take a seat in the living room? I’ll head upstairs, check on Margaret, and change into something less formal.” Ray nodded as she slipped away from him, thinking about how difficult it was going to be spending the night separated from her by just a few walls rather than a thousand miles. He wouldn’t be able to kiss her or show any outward emotion; a hug or a peck on the cheek would be the only thing she’d accept. That was his fault—he’d created such a vast chasm between them that it was going to take more than a few months to span the distance again.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,744
    Medals:
    That news excites me! :D The Windswept Novel go as follows: Windswept, Windswept Hearts, Mended, and The Art of Love. Otherwise my books stand alone, except Dark Horse and Cover of Darkness which were linked in both characters and an overarching plot. Otherwise just start at Kentucky Summer and keep going :) Happy reading! P.S. Love for Sale is the last book I wrote prior to my brain tumor and surgery! Since then my output has slowed significantly, but I do have another novel in the works...I probably won't return to it until I've finished this fanfic, though ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    :yw: ... and thanks for the tips! :spinning: I'm so exited to get started on your books! :spinning:

A brain tumor and surgery? :(:(:( I'm so sorry to hear about that! :cry:
    But I take it that you've made a full recovery??? :kiss:
    Best wishes to you, @Ray&Donna! :best:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Another amazing update with so much detail! :jolly: I love it! :dance::dance::dance:

Most definitely another full score: :10::10::10::10::10::10:

And I got the ending that I'd been hoping for the second I heard about the Dallas weather forecast! :wink@ And for those of you who don't know me well enough ... ... Ray's spending the night!!! :loveit:

Let's hope that Ray and Donna are able to light a fire, not only in the fire place of her house, but also in their hearts! :kiss::kiss::kiss:
    Please update soon, @Ray&Donna! :best:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    :laughs:That's a good one!

So Ray's staying the night, huh?
    Seems like the bad weather definitely has some possibilities... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Oh, yes! Everything is swell! :gotcha: Both in terms of the ego comparison( :cooler: ) and the romance possibilities ( :kiss: )!!!

I also loved when Ray compared children and horses:
    "Children are like horses. If they feel like you're nervous, then they'll be nervous, too." :hats:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,744
    Medals:
    “Maybe you shouldn’t have taken Ray up in his offer to spend the night.” Donna frowned at the angel on her shoulder, which had firmly placed itself there upon her arrival at the top of the stairs. She had checked on Margaret—who was sleeping contentedly until her next feeding time—and changed into a Western shirt and jeans, the kind of ensemble she’d worn during her years as a cowboy’s wife. Next she had opened the linen closet and pulled out fresh sheets and blankets so that Ray could spend the night comfortably, despite the small size of the beds in her guest room. “Maybe you should offer him your bed and spend the night in here,” her conscience urged. “Or spend the night in your room with him,” the more reckless side of her personality suggested. Crazy talk, Donna said to herself. Ray spending the night in her bed would be far too awkward; spending the night in her bed with him was the surest path to a broken heart. It wasn’t 1980 anymore; she couldn’t sneak off with him for a weekend camping trip that included more sex than sleep. They were in different places in their lives; sharing a roof for one night didn’t mean she had to submit to her most animal impulses. She finished making the bed and made sure there were towels and the necessary items in the guest bathroom.

Walking toward the window, Donna noticed that snowflakes the size of silver dollars were falling from the sky. With that kind of size to them, it wouldn’t take long for the ground to become coated, to say nothing of the roads and highways. Compounded by wind, it would reduce visibility to almost nothing. She hadn’t doubted Ray’s forecast, but she now understood the magnitude of what they could be in for—and it had nothing to do with feelings of either lust or regret.

“Ray?” Donna entered the living room to find him lowered to his haunches, loading kindling atop the logs already in the fireplace.

“Have you had the chimney and flue cleaned since you’ve been back in the house?”

“Yes,” she replied. “You know, this reminds me of the brick house, and that time you had to stay up all night and keep fire because it got so cold that even the furnace couldn’t make a dent in it.”

He lit a match and threw it onto the kindling. Once it had started burning, he stood up and smiled. “You kept me company,” he said, looking into her eyes. “We made our own warmth.” Donna laughed nervously, and Ray glanced toward the window. “You know what the snow reminds me of?” He walked toward the glass, and she followed. “Our honeymoon in New York, when it was so damned cold but we went to the skating rink after the opera ended because I knew how much you wanted to see Rockefeller Plaza.” He opened the curtain just enough for her to look through, and Donna could feel his eyes studying her face. He did it lovingly, as a man who had known her through many years of tears and wrinkles, and a variety of hairstyles. He did it reverentially, as though she was a deity to be worshipped. And he did it tenderly, as though falling in love with her for the very first time. “Donna?”

She turned and looked into his eyes, something she regretted later. He brought their faces together and crushed his mouth atop hers. She hesitated for but an instant, finding the old familiar rhythm again as his hand cupped the back of her head and she pulled his waist close to her. His tongue forced her lips open and delved into her mouth, teasing and tasting and burrowing further until she was murmuring nonsense and begging for more. After several more minutes, during which she felt his arousal pressing against her, searching for a place to find release, he relinquished her. They were both out of breath, and it took a moment for them to recover the ability to speak. “I’m sorry,” he said. Donna could feel tears prick at the corners of her eyes—not because of his apology, but because she felt bereft. She wanted to welcome him back into her arms and heart and bed and life, but she also feared being hurt again. Subconsciously she feared what was going to happen to him during the course of this election: he would realize once again that their fundamental differences would forever separate them. She would start a new life in Austin, and he would continue to breed cutting horses. They would exchange Margaret as was convenient, but never again would they live as husband and wife. And what would the press do if they spent too much time together? Ray would become a target, and they wouldn’t stop digging until they’d painted his life in ugly and vivid detail: from illegitimate conception, to a drunken stepfather, to failed business deals and a DUI arrest, Mickey’s death by euthanasia, the subsequent trial, and his questionable relationships with both the death of B.D. Calhoun and his brother’s pregnant ex-girlfriend. She’d hurt him enough.

She wouldn’t do that again.

“Ray, I…I think I should start on supper.”

He nodded, the resignation to their situation clear in his eyes. “I already did. I just hope you didn’t have fish for lunch today.”

Donna smiled, regaining her composure and feeling comfortable with their situation again. “No, I barely ate. On the one hand I was too nervous. On the other hand, the meat was undercooked.”

Ray closed the curtain and banked the fire. “Yeah, once you’ve had beef prepared by Miss Ellie, no one else can compete.” He led the way toward the kitchen, holding the door and allowing Donna to enter before him. She took a seat at the counter and watched him go to work. His expression after their torrid encounter had been contrite, so she really hoped he wasn’t angry at her. In another lifetime, or a different situation, they would be upstairs now, making love like they’d been the ones who invented it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    Love that kiss. :kiss:
    So much repressed emotions that are still lingering between them. I like how Donna is trying to fight her impulses and be all rational about them.
    Also with the bad weather outdoors I can't help but wonder if they are going to get snowed in?

Over all a great scene written in a beautiful way.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Beautiful ... :danc:... romantic ... :kiss: ... wonderful ... :jolly: ... sexy ... :kiss: ... awesome ... :spinning: Hmmm, I'm not sure which word to use to best describe the latest update! :think: Thus, I decided to use them ALL!!! And I'm very content with the way this story is heading! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Definitely an update that calls for ... ... :10::10::10::10::10::10:

Once again, there were quite a "few" lines that I especially enjoyed and thus want to highlight:
    • It wasn’t 1980 anymore; she couldn’t sneak off with him for a weekend camping trip that included more sex than sleep. They were in different places in their lives; sharing a roof for one night didn’t mean she had to submit to her most animal impulses.
    • She hadn’t doubted Ray’s forecast, but she now understood the magnitude of what they could be in for—and it had nothing to do with feelings of either lust or regret.
    • You know, this reminds me of the brick house, and that time you had to stay up all night and keep fire because it got so cold that even the furnace couldn’t make a dent in it.
    • He lit a match and threw it onto the kindling. Once it had started burning, he stood up and smiled. “You kept me company,” he said, looking into her eyes. “We made our own warmth.”
    • “You know what the snow reminds me of?” He walked toward the glass, and she followed. “Our honeymoon in New York, when it was so damned cold but we went to the skating rink after the opera ended because I knew how much you wanted to see Rockefeller Plaza.”
    • She wanted to welcome him back into her arms and heart and bed and life, but she also feared being hurt again. Subconsciously she feared what was going to happen to him during the course of this election: he would realize once again that their fundamental differences would forever separate them. She would start a new life in Austin, and he would continue to breed cutting horses. They would exchange Margaret as was convenient, but never again would they live as husband and wife. And what would the press do if they spent too much time together? Ray would become a target, and they wouldn’t stop digging until they’d painted his life in ugly and vivid detail: from illegitimate conception, to a drunken stepfather, to failed business deals and a DUI arrest, Mickey’s death by euthanasia, the subsequent trial, and his questionable relationships with both the death of B.D. Calhoun and his brother’s pregnant ex-girlfriend. She’d hurt him enough.
    Needless to say, I LOVED Ray and Donna's first kiss! :kiss::kiss::kiss: I loved the description of all the various emotions that passed through their bodies and minds as their lips met for the first time since their divorce! :jolly: Will they be able to fight their feelings when staying under the same roof during a storm? :wink@ I can't wait to read the next update, @Ray and Donna!

:best: :bh: :best: :bh: :best:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,744
    Medals:
    Ray knew he’d made a mistake, but there was no way in hell he could scold himself. Kissing Donna again had given him the best feeling he’d experienced in years. It was like the sensation of a cold drink on the hottest day of the year, combined with a double orgasm, and finished off with an ice cube melting against his chest due to the heat of Donna’s touch. It was really hard not to think about the woman he loved in a sexual manner, because the best times of his life—in and out of bed—had been spent with her. From that first night in the hotel in Braddock until the last time they made love, right before he had flown down to Texas City and come back spitting venom in her direction, their physical expressions of love had been unparalleled. He was left to wonder what might have been that afternoon, had she not told him they couldn’t cross that threshold again. Would it have been earth-shattering and life-changing, or would it have been quick and sweaty? He wanted to make love to her, not just gain release like a sperm donor. He wanted to lie down beside her, kiss her hands and fingers and breasts and stomach and…

“Ray?” Donna snapped him back to life. She was seated at the kitchen counter while he completed the marinade he had been using on the fish. Her clothes were what had done it, he rationalized to himself. She was dressed like a cowgirl, the way she had when they were spending time at home. The formal garments and things she wore to meetings or fundraisers or speeches had always seemed like a skin she could shed easily once she was back on Southfork. He wondered now why he had been so hard on her so many times; he might not have gotten to play a part in every minute of her life, but she’d always made room for him. If she spent a night out of town, he usually went with her unless there was pressing ranch business. Even near and during the end, she would call in the evenings to check and see how he was doing. She didn’t even have to say the words: the feeling conveyed in her voice told him everything he needed to know.

“I hope you didn’t change your mind about dinner,” he teased. “I’ve already preheated the oven.”

Donna laughed. “It’s not that,” she replied. “Should I check the fireplace and make sure it hasn’t gone out?”

“Yeah, that would be good.” He sighed once she’d left the room. What had he expected her to ask? To be ravished on the countertop? Those days were behind them; even if they weren’t, he wasn’t sure his back was strong enough to use every room in the house as a playground. His neck flamed red as he recalled the sound of heavy breathing and cabinet doors rattling. Maybe he needed to loosen the top button on his shirt, since he was in the kitchen. The oven light clicked off and he slid the baking pan onto the rack. He would need to turn it very quickly, because such thin filets didn’t take that long to bake. In other words, he needed to keep his mind on the task at hand and off a woman whom he couldn’t have.

He went to the freezer and withdrew some pre-seasoned rice, which he added to a bowl and began to microwave. He cooked so infrequently that he wasn’t overly familiar some of the newer items in the grocery store. Donna’s refrigerator had been an education not only in baby food but in frozen foods and fresh vegetables. No wonder he was getting fat, eating sugary cereal, toaster pastries, and bacon as thick as a leather belt. This meal was probably the healthiest thing he’d eaten in two years. When Donna finally returned—presumably having checked both the fire as well as Margaret—he was plating the food.

“That smells delicious,” she complimented him. He turned and found her smiling. Little wonder people wanted her in the public eye—she was brilliant, beautiful, and had a smile that was bright enough to make the sun jealous. She used to be mine, he thought to himself, and I used to be hers.

“Thank you,” he said, pulling out a chair for her. “Margaret okay?”

“Sleeping like an angel. I’ll try to feed her once we’re finished. That way I’ll be calm and she won’t sense any nervousness. Thank you,” she said as she took her seat. Pellets of ice started to beat against the panes of glass. “Here comes the sleet,” she noted with resignation. “There should be some fresh sweet tea in the fridge if you’d like,” she told him. He returned to the fridge and withdrew the pitcher.

“Looks good,” he said, bringing it toward the table. “I almost asked if you wanted ice in your cup,” he added in a self-deprecating manner.

“I like ice cream in the dead of winter,” she reminded him.

“Me too,” he said, smiling as he poured the liquid into their cups. “Growing up, ice cream was a luxury, so it was either make it by hand or do without.”

“I wish I still had my grandma’s old hand-cranked ice cream maker,” Donna said wistfully. “Not just to make ice cream of course, but because I really have nothing left from my years in Marshall. After my parents died I had to sell everything. And somewhere in the course of moving here and there I lost my yearbooks and my hope chest.” She looked up at him; he watched her watch him pensively. “We weren’t rich obviously, but even one memento would be better than none at all.” She stuck a fork into her food and began to eat. “It tastes as good as it smells.”

Ray joined her and was pleasantly surprised. “Wow,” he said. “That almost never happens. Usually the smell is the best part. I’m gonna have to remember what I put in this!”

Donna smiled at him, but it quickly changed to a frown. “I’ve always hated ice storms,” she said. “They don’t seem to serve any purpose except to knock down trees and cause accidents.”

“Yeah, me too,” Ray agreed. The pellets had begun to glaze over the windows in the French doors. “Just rain or snow I can deal with, but something that gets into the middle of a tree and splits it apart seems evil. Like a punishment from God for a sin that wasn’t committed.” She seemed to stare off into space, listening to his words but not looking at him. He couldn’t blame her—he’d been pretty presumptuous earlier. “Are you finished eating?”

“Yes,” she replied, her eyes appraising him. “I’ll go upstairs and wake Margaret. It’s time for her to eat, at least based on my schedule.”

Ray nodded. “I’ll load the dishwasher.”

“Thank you,” she said. He imagined she was surprised by his flagrant displays of domesticity, something he had been remiss to do in the final year of their marriage. He’d officially turned over a new leaf—they might never be together again, but he would no longer blame Donna, or any other woman, for his problems. As she passed through the swinging door, he headed toward the kitchen to scrape the leftovers into the garbage disposal. They’d cleaned their plates, and so there was nothing to save and put in the fridge.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I love it! :kiss::kiss::kiss: Yet another amazing update! :bravo: :10::10::10: :fantastic:

I especially liked Ray's beautiful description (and also comparison) of the kiss:

"It was like the sensation of a cold drink on the hottest day of the year, combined with a double orgasm, and finished off with an ice cube melting against his chest due to the heat of Donna’s touch."

I feel sad for Ray at this point! He seems to think that it's all been said and done! :cry: And he thinks that all he has left are the incredible memories of how good he and Donna were together back in the day! :kiss:

I was thrilled to learn that Ray really nailed it and cooked a delicious meal for them ... ... even though it was sort of by pure luck! :wink@ I'm hoping that Ray will end up getting even luckier as the hours go by! :kiss:

Another part that really got me going was when Donna said:

"I've always hated ice storms", she said. "They don't seem to serve any purpose except to knock down trees and cause accidents.".

Well, the way I see it ... ... just maybe this particular ice storm will "cause" something even greater than knocking down trees or cause accidents! Like, for instance, two lost souls finding the right way to patch things up between them ... ... and eventually ... ... :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss: You get my point, right? :giggle:

Oh, I can't wait ... :hug: PLEASE UPDATE SOON, @Ray&Donna!!! :clap: :thank:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    Medals:
    I wonder what it was that made Donna nervous?
    Was it Ray's presence?

Will we get to see what goes through her mind next when she's feeding the baby?

We certainly know what's on Ray's mind by now. Funny how he has all these horny thoughts and all they talk about is the weather! :giggle:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I think that Donna is scared on a lot of different levels, @Karin Schill! ;) Remember @Ray&Donna's description of how Donna felt just after Ray had kissed her? :cooler:

"Donna could feel tears prick at the corners of her eyes—not because of his apology, but because she felt bereft. She wanted to welcome him back into her arms and heart and bed and life, but she also feared being hurt again. Subconsciously she feared what was going to happen to him during the course of this election: he would realize once again that their fundamental differences would forever separate them. She would start a new life in Austin, and he would continue to breed cutting horses. They would exchange Margaret as was convenient, but never again would they live as husband and wife."

I'd also love to hear a bit more about how Donna's feeling now after enjoying a nice dinner with Ray! :jolly:

BTW, I can think of a few times when I've been in awkward situations (like Ray and Donna) which was why talking about the weather seemed like the "easiest" thing! :giggle:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,744
    Medals:
    Donna felt like the emotional equivalent of a Van Gogh painting as she topped the stairs—there was definitely the outline of an image, but up close she was a bit of a mess. No, that was inaccurate: she felt more alive than she had in years. Ray’s kiss had reinvigorated feelings that had never really gone dormant in the first place; they had simply been turned down to a simmer. As much as she liked being in control of her own destiny, there was a heady feeling in letting those old familiar emotions overcome her. Ray loved her! Even if he hadn’t said as much, there could be no mistaking what his kiss had told her. She needed to keep her wits about her, though. She was a mature, intelligent woman, a single mother running for the highest office possible within the state of Texas. An assignation with her ex-husband, as enjoyable as it might be, would be a complication she didn’t need.

Entering Margaret’s room, she found her daughter rousing from her nap. “Right on time, sweetheart,” she said. “The storm didn’t bother you, did it?” The freezing rain had stopped, but the wind was picking up, scratching tree limbs against the sides of the brick townhouse. She gathered Margaret into her arms—she was putting on weight, which was normal for her age—and patted her on the back. “I missed you today,” she whispered, “but I know you had a great time with Daddy.” Margaret giggled in response, acknowledging the truth of that statement. “How about we get you fed now? I’m hoping the power will stay on tonight but if it doesn’t, Daddy will be here with us to keep the fire going. We’ll stay warm even if we have to all huddle together in front of the hearth!”

She had always loved Ray despite—or perhaps because—of his flaws, but she also recognized the subtle changes in him. He was kinder toward her, and definitely loved Margaret more than she would have thought possible. Men usually preferred sons; they would dote on girls, but not quite make the same connection as they might with a younger version of themselves. His attitude toward women had become more egalitarian. As upset as he might have been when he found out she was running for governor, it hadn’t been because she was seeking the job, but rather that she hadn’t told him of her desire to do so. It wasn’t much different from when she bought Krebbs One without soliciting his opinion. She didn’t need his approval for anything she did, but it was nice to have his support, his endorsement, and reinforcements should anything go sideways. It was no surprise that she’d settled easily into motherhood—her marriage had been psychologically complex at times, with her mothering Ray, wanting to do everything she could to protect him from disappointment, hurt, and suffering. He had a wealth of life experience when they got together, but he was more naïve when it came to big business, political influence, and the shady dealings that often accompanied the two. Some of it he’d had to learn on his own; as much as she wanted to keep him from falling and scraping his knees, it hadn’t always been in her area of expertise to accomplish it. It was definitely harder without Jock—disagree as she might with some of his attitudes and actions, he was incredibly capable of keeping his sons in line.

By the time she and Margaret reached the kitchen, it was snowing again. Ray smiled at them as they entered, and of course his daughter waved happily. “Hey there, little cowgirl,” he said. “When are you gonna start walking? You’ve gotta get on your feet so you can learn to ride a horse!”

“Cowboy,” she gurgled. Ray met Donna’s eyes and they smiled at what they’d created.

“Would you like to hold her while I heat up her dinner?”

“Of course,” Ray nodded. Donna passed Margaret to him and any residual drowsiness left as soon as she was in his arms, against his chest. She ran her hands across his cheeks and he grinned while she laughed happily. It must have been a new sensation for her, the slight hint of stubble against her small palms. But she didn’t hate it—indeed, she giggled like she was playing with a new toy, and Ray fawned over her, laughing and teasing and blowing kisses. Donna smiled to herself as she readied the food, hoping that she could get Margaret to focus on something aside from kissing her father. If not, she was pretty sure Ray would be more than happy to feed her for the third time that day. He’d done exceedingly well with breakfast and lunch. “Come on, sweetie. Let’s get you in your high chair.” Donna watched from the corner of her eye as he walked her to the table, and she acquiesced when he set her down. “Yeah, you remember how to do this.” After cooking the gruel—er, cereal—Donna stirred the bowl and then brought it to the table that was attached to the chair. Without prompting, Ray picked up the spoon and Margaret began to eat.

“She’s going to be spoiled to you,” Donna joked. “I won’t be able to feed her at all after you leave.” Maybe you shouldn’t leave. “I’m gonna go watch it snow for a bit, grab a sweater, and give you some alone time with her.”

“All right,” he said, acknowledging her need to have some time alone with her thoughts. With obvious consideration, he kept his attention on Margaret as she left the room.

Donna headed straight for her closet, in search of something to not only aid with the temperature of the house, but also her need for comfort and solace. She was more confused than she could ever remember being in her entire life. She loved Ray and always would, but was she falling back in love with him? It was too complicated and too wonderful to imagine. It was also a scary thought that he could have that much power over her. Opening the door to her walk-in-closet, she turned on the light and stepped inside. Unlike some women of wealth and status, there was nothing unworn in her closet; every dress, blouse, sweater, pair of shorts or slacks, hat and coat, had been worn at least once. One wall of the closet was nothing but dresses, suitable for a variety of occasions. Lately they were the garment of choice for her public appearances; when meeting with her campaign staff, she dressed in the sorts of skirt and jacket combos a businesswoman or lawyer might wear to the office.

Along the opposite wall was what she was prone to wear around the house, when she had a moment to herself—turtlenecks, blouses, and cardigans, along with a few pullover sweaters. The first cardigan she found was blue and white, and looked like it would coordinate with what she was already wearing. She eyed it with great interest—this was the first article of clothing Ray had ever bought her for Christmas. She remembered it being the happiest time of their marriage: he was secure in his role as ranch foreman, and she spent her days reviewing policy for the Texas Energy Commission. At night they spent hours loving, talking, and planning for the future. She wondered if Ray remembered those days as fondly as she did. She figured he must, or otherwise he wouldn’t have been so eager to kiss her earlier. And what a kiss it had been. A chill came over her at the recollection, and she slipped her arms into the sleeves of the cardigan, buttoning it together across her stomach.

She turned off the light and closed the door behind her. She left the master bedroom and headed for the landing at the top of the stairs. She stared out the Palladian window as large flakes drifted downward, blocking out most of the sky and adding another layer to the ice and snow cake that was forming atop the landscape.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Full score from me once again! :bravo: :10::10::10: :bravo:

@Ray&Donna, your descriptions of everything and everyone just keeps blowing me away! :dance: It's so easy to imagine it all unfolding before my very eyes! :clap:

This part immediately made me think of the song "This kiss" by Faith Hill:
    "Ray’s kiss had reinvigorated feelings that had never really gone dormant in the first place; they had simply been turned down to a simmer. As much as she liked being in control of her own destiny, there was a heady feeling in letting those old familiar emotions overcome her. Ray loved her! Even if he hadn’t said as much, there could be no mistaking what his kiss had told her."

I also loved the description of Ray:
    "He had a wealth of life experience when they got together, but he was more naive when it came to big business, political influence, and the shady dealing that often accompanied the two."

YES Donna ... maybe Ray shouldn't leave! :dance: And yes, he does still love you (and never stopped in the first place)! :kiss:

Please update soon! :jolly: I'm impatient, I know, but I can't help it! :wink@ I love this fanfic! :loveit:

• Like Like x 1