The Cowboy and the Lady

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Ray&Donna, Apr 21, 2017.

1. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    stay at home auntie
    Ratings:
    +639
    I now know why you are the best writer ever! Awesome job!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,324
    Medals:
    Yes that was Donna's POV. I love how you always have so much insight into Ray and Donna and the dynamics of them as individuals and as a couple in your updates. :)
    I have never really thought of Donna as mothering Ray but I guess she was on occasions like when he went off the rails after Jock died and she put the blanket on him when he was sleeping etc.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,755
    Medals:
    “It looks like I scared your mama away again, huh?” Ray queried his daughter as he fed her from the bottle he’d warmed. “I’ve been doing that since she was pregnant with you, and long before. It’s a bad habit I’ve got, saying and doing all the wrong things where she’s concerned. I’m trying to change though, sweetie. I really am.” She suckled contentedly and he looked up to the see that the heavy snow had paused for the moment. It made the backyard look stark in its quiet, unadorned beauty. Like Donna, he thought. She was the type of woman who didn’t need makeup, hairspray, or designer fashions to look beautiful. She had simply been born that way, inside and out, and he still couldn’t figure out why she’d ever wanted him. Donna never seemed like the type who would enjoy hanging out at a cowboy bar, but she’d been in one the night they met. “Your mama looks very good in black,” he told her. “Actually she looks good in every color, though I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in yellow or orange. You’re just as beautiful as she is, and more beautiful than any child of mine has a right to be! I love you, sweetie. What do you think about all of this snow? I’m kind of glad I’m here with the two of you instead of home alone. I’d probably get cabin fever like your grandpa Clayton and have a hard time figuring out what to do with myself.” He chuckled at the thought. “I’m gonna have to come to Austin with you whether your mama likes it or not. We’ve already missed too much time together.” The bottle empty, he kissed her on the forehead and readied her for burping. With that completed, he knew that it was time for her evening nap. Donna assured him that Margaret—nearing her first birthday—would soon require less sleep, becoming more rambunctious and curious as she grew into a toddler. He was looking forward to that—she looked like an angel while she slept, but she was definitely more fun when she was awake and interested in playing with him.

Quietly he made his way upstairs, as Margaret’s breathing shallowed and he knew she had fallen asleep. He carried her straight to the nursery, placing her in the crib and covering her with a warm blanket. Ray watched her sleep for a few minutes before quietly closing the door behind him. As he started for the staircase, he noticed Donna on the landing, staring out the window with her arms hugged around herself. She was wearing a cardigan that looked like one he had bought for her many years earlier. Interesting, he thought with a smile, that she hadn’t removed every trace of him from her life. “Donna?” he whispered, not wanting to startle her. She turned and gave him a brittle smile.

“Ray. Sorry, I was just watching it snow. I think it’s stopped for now,” she said, clearly at a loss for how to fill the gap in conversation.

“I just put Margaret to bed,” he said. “She was ready for it, too. She fell asleep right in my arms.” He stepped closer to her. “You look cold. Maybe you ought to come downstairs and sit by the fire for a bit?”

Donna nodded, not meeting his eyes. “Yes, that’s probably a good idea.” He noted that her voice was solemn and rather quiet. She didn’t project the confidence he was accustomed to in that moment. “I was going to ask if you’d rather spend tonight in my room while I slept in the guest room. Those beds aren’t very big, but I’ve slept in them before.”

“Nah, I’ll be fine,” Ray said, careful not to place his hand on the small of her back as they headed downstairs. “I’ll push the two beds together and lie across them diagonally,” he told her with a grin. He would rather have slept with Donna in her bed, but he wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth; he was lucky to be there with her and their daughter when they could have been safely ensconced in Washington, D.C. with another man taking his place. When they entered the living room, she took a seat on the couch while he walked to the fireplace and added new sticks of wood to replace what had burned down to lumps of orange charcoal. “Did you ever think we’d be here again, sitting in front of the fire together?” he asked, unsure if he wanted to know her answer.

“No,” she said softly. “I figured I was done with Texas, and you, but I should have known better. You had gotten so deep under my skin, and into my soul, that I could have no more easily stayed away from you than I could flap my arms and fly across the ocean. Every time I looked into Margaret’s face I was reminded that she was ours, and that you and I had created her out of love. We may have put our marriage in the history books, but the legal system couldn’t separate our hearts.” He looked at her lovingly before returning his focus to the roaring fire. “I guess you knew that truth as well as I did. It’s why you fought so hard to get me to move in with you the summer before last.”

“I thought that house, and our baby, would be a new beginning. Instead it was the end.” He closed his eyes and felt regret wash over him like the cold air that had enveloped the city. “Do you think there’s another chance for us?”

“Sometimes I wonder if there was ever a chance for us, Ray. We loved each other so much but just couldn’t make it work. We were together through so much—you lost two different fathers and a cousin, you went through a murder trial, we hurt each other so many times. As soon as I took the job with the oil lobby, you had another woman in the house you’d bought for me, cooking your supper and keeping you company. And yet I still loved you. I just couldn’t take the pain anymore.” She sighed, her voice on the verge of breaking. “Being with you reminds me of so many good things—and so many bad ones, too. It’s a strange dichotomy when we’re together, Ray Krebbs.”

“Remember when you told me I was what you had wanted all your life? I wanted to stay in jail and serve my time for killing Mickey, but you fought for me every time I wanted to give up.” Their eyes met, the moment rife with intensity and unspoken feelings. “Are you saying you don’t even want to try again?”

“No,” Donna said quietly. “I’m more afraid of getting hurt than of trying again. We really did a number on each other after we split up. For a long time I felt dead inside, completely hollowed out, and I would have given up if I hadn’t been carrying a new life inside me. She became my hope for the future.” She glanced away from him and toward the ceiling. “She still is.”

Ray looked toward the mantel, feeling defeated. She was being honest with him; she didn’t want or need the complications that went along with being their marriage. Donna had closed her heart to Ray, and he had only himself to blame. Before he could figure out what to do and say next, the phone rang in the hall and Donna went to answer it. “Yes, I made it home just fine. Okay, I understand. No, that’s great. I hope so, too. Goodnight. Take care.” She pulled the cardigan tighter around herself, almost like a suit of armor. “That was Dave,” she told him. “He wanted to make sure that I’d made it home all right. Some of the people had already made reservations at the hotel so that’s good. He said the flights are grounded at every airport so he won’t be able to head back to Washington until the tomorrow or Monday, whenever they get the all-clear to resume air travel.”

Ray nodded. “That’s good, I guess, that no one was caught out in the weather. Maybe I ought to ring Southfork and make sure they’re all home safely.” Donna nodded and he went off to use the kitchen phone, needing to put a little bit of distance between them. He felt so confused at that moment. Donna had responded to his kiss, but it must’ve been in a moment of weakness, because once he’d broached the subject of their potential future she had firmly closed the door to it, lowering the boom on him in no uncertain terms. Miss Ellie answered his call and let him know that everyone had made it safely back to Southfork, and that she had spoken to Mavis and the Andersons were accounted for as well. With that knowledge in hand he returned to the living room, but Donna was nowhere in sight. She had probably gone upstairs to check on Margaret. He sat down near the fire and waited for her to return.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I hate to admit it, but I kind of liked that Ray and Donna still have a lot of things to work out, before they're "ready" for marriage again! Also, this means that this fan fic has yet some ground to cover! :dance:

As I was reading the latest update, I felt both Donna's and Ray's pain, and I think that I understood why they reacted the way they did! :cry: Donna was very upfront and honest about her position, almost to the point that it could scare Ray away! :(

I completely understand why Ray is confused! :confuse: What is coming out of Donna's mouth doesn't seem to "match" up with the level of her "engagement" in the beautiful kiss that Ray and Donna shared! What is he to think about it all? :think:

I did forget to rate this update, didn't I? If you care to know, @Ray&Donna, I'd give this update a full score! :10::10:

Please update soon! :bravo: :fantastic: :idea:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,324
    Medals:
    Sweet update. At least Donna admits that Ray is still in her heart so that's something. :kiss:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,755
    Medals:
    My original goal was to write the story in 100 pages, but currently I am on page 106 and the first gubernatorial debate just happened. The best laid plans, huh? :lol:

For someone who prided herself on honesty, Donna had been doing a lot of lying recently. Not to her constituents, but to Ray and herself. Of course she would love to be his wife again, but how? He made it sound so easy to slot back into his life, but he was conveniently forgetting how much trouble they’d had living under the same roof. She knew that it could be different this time, better even, but that it could also be even worse. The stakes were much higher now—a child was involved, and she couldn’t imagine the two of them having one of their famous rows while their daughter watched helplessly. When times got tough Ray usually turned to drink, while Donna obeyed the easier option granted by her fight-or-flight response. That was how she ended up living at Southfork in the first place before decamping to Turtle Creek and finally the District of Columbia. She really wasn’t sure about future living arrangements, either. If elected governor, would she keep this townhouse as her hideaway? She didn’t know if she’d ever feel comfortable in Ray’s white ranch house—there was something about it that had always made her uneasy. Perhaps it was the fact that every time she visited, their conversations devolved into arguments. In lieu of her moving in, he’d also lived there with another woman. That certainly didn’t help matters. But on the other hand, how could she possibly expect him to uproot his life and move to Austin? It wasn’t as though he was incredibly at ease with city living. She would love to be his wife again, but she didn’t want to be a doormat or an emotional punching bag for him when things got tough. As smart as Ray was, she didn’t think he understood everything she was facing in this election. Their lives, for better or worse, would be put on display for both public examination and media speculation. How would they react if questioned about the circumstances of their divorce, or Ray’s trial, or Pam’s disappearance? What about the late and unlamented Ewing Oil? Unanswered questions about Wes Parmalee, perhaps? Or, on the off-chance that some intrepid reporter was to discover that she and Ray had engaged in an assignation while Sam was still alive?

Donna knew that she was working herself into a lather over nothing, but at the same time she really did love Ray. As she’d told him on more than one occasion, she wanted to make sure he was never hurt or harmed in any way. She’d come upstairs with the express purpose of putting on a warmer sweater and checking on Margaret. Donna knew she could stay up there for the rest of the night, but that was the coward’s way out. Eventually Ray would grow concerned and come looking for her. She was one for confronting problems, not locking herself away from the rest of the world when things got tough. With that in mind, she changed out her cardigan for a pullover that she’d purchased at The Store after moving to Turtle Creek, and turned out her bedroom light before heading to check on Margaret. She was sleeping soundly, blissfully unaware of the mélange of emotions stirring between her parents on the lower floor. Donna returned to the living room; Ray was now seated but his gaze remained on the roaring fire in the hearth. “Ray?”

“Yes?” he asked quietly. She wondered what was going through his mind at the moment—had he not expected her to return after their last exchange?

“If Margaret had been a boy, would you have asked me for custody? Would we ha

have headed back to court?”

Ray turned his head long enough to give her a curious stare before his eyes returned to the fireplace. “It was never about that, Donna. I wanted you to stay here in Texas, and be my wife again. The baby was just the icing on the cake. I didn’t want you moving to Washington and raising my child with another man. I know she would have had a lot of advantages growing up in that environment, but I didn’t think she would have been any better off than if you and I were the ones to raise her. So no,” he admitted, “I didn’t prefer Lucas because he was a boy. I may be a Ewing, but I’m not like the rest of them. Well, most of the time. Lucy may have been the firstborn grandchild, but no one ever acted like she would be the heir to anything but a trust fund. I’m glad Ewing Oil is gone because it means this generation of the family can do something different with their lives.”

“I told Miss Ellie that Margaret was going to be the family’s next great entrepreneur.”

Ray laughed. “Yeah, I’d like that.” Donna walked toward the couch and sat down opposite him. “Hopefully my cutting horse business will survive long enough for her to take part.”

“Is it not going well?” Donna asked. “I’m sorry,” she added quickly. “That’s none of my business.”

“It’s all right,” he told her. “It’s going okay. I guess I just thought it would come together much quicker but with Clayton and I both feeling sorry for ourselves we didn’t get quite the start we had planned. Now that he’s mostly recovered things are moving along at a quicker pace. I just hope this storm doesn’t do too much damage out at the ranch.” Donna was watching him intently when his eyes swept toward hers, his face unreadable. “Was Margaret asleep?”

“Yes. She has no clue about the winter storm she is missing.”

“She has a birthday coming up soon, huh?”

“April Fool’s Day. I’ll have to send out invitations for everyone to come over here. And find a bakery to have her cake made.” Donna shook her head. “She is definitely growing up much too fast. It seems like I blinked my eyes and suddenly she was talking. Then she was walking. I’m afraid I’ll go to sleep one night and the next morning she’ll be off to college.”

“The days are long but the years are short. That’s what Miss Ellie told me one time. She said that the time between Bobby’s birth and his eighteenth birthday was literally about five days.” Ray smiled to himself. “My childhood felt like it took forever, maybe because it seemed so bad most of the time. Having no father at all is better than having a drunk one any day of the week.” He looked at her in horror. “That was really insensitive of me, Donna. I’m sorry.”

“No,” she said. “I was lucky to have my father for as long as I did, and you were too. I know enough about Amos to know that you were better off without him.”

“What if I make those same mistakes with Margaret? What if I’m a disappointment or I’m not there for her when she needs me?”

“I guess you’ll just have to make sure that doesn’t happen.” She smiled at him. “It’s getting dark outside. I wonder if I should give Margaret a bath and take a shower, just to make sure we’re both settled for the night.”

“That’s probably a good idea,” Ray said. “I’ll stay here and keep fire.”

“Thank you again,” she replied, standing and heading for the staircase. “You’re going above and beyond the call of duty today.”

He smiled at her. “There’s no two people I’d rather be taking care of,” he assured her.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,324
    Medals:
    100 pages already, wow! It didn't feel that long.
    Cute scene with them discussing their roles as parents and the past. :)

But waking up a sleeping baby to give her a bath?
    Somehow that doesn't sound like the greatest idea to me. lol

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I'm so in love with this fanfic! :kiss: I love the depth of it and how we get a "peek" into Ray and Donna's minds! :kiss:

How can I possible give the latest update anything else but a full score? :10::10::10::10::10::10::10:

I loved the part where Donna admitted to lying not only to her constituents and to Ray, but even more importantly to herself! It takes a lot of wisdom to be able to get to that point! :girl: :bravo:

I like the fact that Donna is not a fan of Ray's white ranch house (since I'm not either)! The white ranch house probably reminds Donna of the time period when her marriage broke up. Also, Ray has lived there with another woman, so that's another reason for not considering making that house a home for their family. Thirdly, somehow the white ranch house is not in "tune" with neither Ray or Donna's personality. I realize that Ray built the house for Donna, but it wasn't the right house for neither her nor him! They need a different type of house, IMO! I'd much rather see them in Ray's old brick house (where they have so much history). Of course, eventually they would have to add more square feet to the house, but the brick house is a much more suited place for a new beginning for the two of them!

I was quite surprised when Donna asked Ray straight up whether he would have asked for custody, if Margaret had been a boy! I had not seen that one coming! :cool1 Ray's response was really good! :clap: I'm not sure if I'd been able to come up with such a great answer so fast, if I'd been in his shoes! Great job, Ray! :hats:

I loved your reference to Lucy, @Ray&Donna! :) As far as I recall, it was never addressed on "Dallas", why Lucy was never considered to be the grandchild to take over Ewing Oil! :think: Quite oldfashioned, if you ask me! :( But I know that "family traditions" like that (where it is only the first-born son or grandson who takes over the family business) is still alive and well in America even in 2017. Quite sad that times hasn't changed much, IMHO! :(

I also loved the reference to Miss Ellie! :dance: It would be awesome, if Margaret ends up being the family's next great entrepreneur. :girl::girl::girl:

Miss Ellie's words of wisdom are so accurate still to this day: “The days are long but the years are short." :dance: I can totally relate to that in regards to my own children, who are growing up so fast! :)

I have to agree with @Karin Schill! It does seem somewhat odd to wake Margaret up at night just to give her a bath! :think: Maybe Donna is trying to avoid her baby girl waking her up at 1 or 2 in the morning? :think: Anyway, it could just be a part of the storyline! Having both her parents giving her a bath would be wonderful for Margaret! And possibly a time to bond for her parents as well? I guess that we'll have to wait and see! :)

Please update soon! :best:

@Ray&Donna: I admit to copying your story into a word document, so I'm able to read your fanfic when I'm offline. :shy: And so far, I'm only on page 77! :think: But I guess it all comes down to what kind of layout, design, etc. that each of us use! ;) Anyway, I'm thrilled that you're writing this fanfic in such a way that Ray and Donna haven't just "fallen into each other's arms" in a quick flash. They're taking their time to sort through their emotions, experiences, future plans, and so forth. It makes it all the more real, IMO! And I'm enjoying every little bit that you put on my "plate"! :spinning::spinning::spinning:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I'm so exited, @Ray&Donna! :spinning: Your books are finally here!!! :danc: YIPPI!!! :hats:Only three more days at work, and then I'll be on vacation for the month of July! :dance: Hopefully, I'll be able to find time to get some reading done in my otherwise busy holiday schedule! :jolly: If your books are as good as your fanfics, I'll be very pleased! :wink@

• Like Like x 1
  10. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    stay at home auntie
    Ratings:
    +639
    :bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,755
    Medals:
    I think the main reason Donna wants to get Margaret washed and ready for bed, despite having to wake her, is so that she will be clean and snug under the covers in case of a power outage. At least that's what I was going for.

Well, you're right about having only read 77 pages thus far. I meant that, when I began to write this story, my goal was to sum up the entire thing in 100 pages. But I'm up to 107 pages and the story is far from over...

Great! I hope I don't disappoint. Just remember that you're reading about fictional characters who bear more resemblance to me at times than they should. :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,755
    Medals:
    With Donna attending to matters upstairs, Ray went around the ground floor checking windows and doors. With locks and latches secured, he closed the curtains and made certain there was enough firewood alongside the fireplace should they need it during the night. In spite of what Donna had told him earlier, he didn’t think this was the end for them; it was simply a rough patch along their road.

He wondered to himself how he could prove to Donna that he was a changed man, a better man, one who wouldn’t hurt her if they were to become romantically involved again. Ray could understand her reluctance. In the past he hadn’t been good at keeping promises. He’d broken promises, the law, his marriage vows, business deals, more promises, and eventually his wife’s heart. Little wonder that she was gun-shy where he was concerned. But by that same token, he could remember her very physical response to his kiss earlier. She wasn’t just going through the motions, riding the kiss out to its conclusion: she had pulled him closer to her, moaned with need, and pressed her body against his before ultimately distancing herself from his expression of love. Even now his body thrummed with recollection of feeling Donna so close to him again. To have him love her, to be able to make love to her, that hot, sweaty, skin-to-skin type of thing they’d enjoyed so much—he couldn’t imagine anything better than being her husband again. He was over forty now—he probably wouldn’t get another chance at family life if he didn’t try for this one.

He continued to stare into the fireplace, thinking that sitting here alone, but with his two favorite people upstairs, was much better than staring at the fireplace in his own home with no one upstairs.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I knew there had to be a reason that I just wasn't smart enough to think of! :D

I'm quite confident that I won't be disappointed! :) I have to wonder though why the fact that the fictional characters in your books might resemble you in some ways would be a bad thing? :think: You sound like a pretty darn good catch to me! :wink@

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Great update! :danc: Full score once again! :10::10::10:

I loved "listening" to all the various thoughts going on in Ray's mind! This part in particular stands out: "In the past he hadn’t been good at keeping promises. He’d broken promises, the law, his marriage vows, business deals, more promises, and eventually his wife’s heart." Simply beautiful, IMO! :kiss:

I'm pleased to know that Ray hasn't given up on winning Donna over! :wink@ Her reaction when he kissed her said it all! They are so far from over! It's only a matter of time and patience! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Please update soon! :bh:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,324
    Medals:
    Nice to read Ray's thoughts. He is right about that it's better to be in a house with his family upstairs than to be in a house all alone.

You definitely doesn't disappoint and I think what you say about them resemblancing you is true for all writers. I think we all add bits and pieces of ourselves into our characters. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,755
    Medals:
    With the awkwardness of the day seemingly behind them, they had said goodnight and headed for their separate rooms. Donna remained perplexed by the old feelings Ray was awakening within her. She loved Ray as much as she always had—the disappointment and regret were receding into the past—and she realized that, no matter what the future held, there was no way she could ever feel nothing for him. He had given her their beautiful daughter, and in the best times he had provided unconditional love and emotional support. He was providing the latter now even if he didn’t realize it. To have someone who would ask her about her day but not necessarily relate everything to the election was incredibly valuable and refreshing.

Staring up at the ceiling in the darkness, Donna was struck by a harsh reality: as much as Ray loved and wanted to be with her again, she questioned if he really wanted to be married to the Governor of Texas. If he had ever felt overshadowed by her as a political consultant, a best-selling author, or a successful businesswoman, that would be nothing compared to this. Everything she’d accomplished thus far was small potatoes compared to running the country’s second-largest state, a land filled with proud people, business and industry, and an abundance of natural resources. She knew that Ray was plenty smart, but she didn’t know if he understood the magnitude of that. Perhaps she wasn’t giving him enough credit, though. He had known about her goals and aspirations for months now and it hadn’t stopped them from growing closer, or spending time together, or sharing meals companionably. His kiss indicated that he wasn’t simply using Margaret to get to her.

Margaret—the namesake of Ray’s mother, a woman whom she had never met and was only familiar with via stories. Thankfully Margaret had surrogate grandparents in Clayton and Miss Ellie, though truthfully she knew that the Farlows looked at them as family beyond any sort of blood connection. J.R. could brand the Krebbs or anyone else outsiders if he liked, but the ultimate say in who was welcome at the dinner table was up to Miss Ellie.

She probably didn’t stare at the ceiling as long as she thought she did; eventually sleep took over and she rested placidly until she awoke sometime after midnight—the power had gone out and she checked her watch to be sure. Now what? She had prepared for the worst possible scenario—hanging on the back of her closet door were both a nightgown and robe, which she slipped on over her pajamas before venturing into the hall. Opening her door, she was temporarily blinded by the beam of a flashlight. When her eyes refocused, she found herself looking at Ray. He was shirtless, wearing nothing but his jeans, and his hair was hilariously disheveled. Even though he’d put on a few pounds in the past year, the tautness of his upper chest and the mat of grey hair that lined its center still made her mouth water. Had he been sleeping in the nude when he, too, was startled awake by the electrical outage? Donna had often been too modest to sleep in anything less than a nightshirt or pajamas—not Ray, though. He liked to press up against her in bed, naked as the day he was born. Strange thought to be having at a time like this. “Donna?” he whispered. “Should I go downstairs and rebuild the fire?”

“Yes,” she said with a nod. “I’ll get Margaret and bring her down to you, and then gather up some blankets and comforters from the linen closet.”

“Okay,” he said. “I’ll start moving the furniture around so we can make a palette in the floor.”

She heard his bare feet on the treads as she entered Margaret’s room. She hoped the little girl would sleep through it all, but she also prayed they could keep their daughter warm enough until power was restored. “Come on, sweetie,” she said, lifting the baby from the crib. Eventually Margaret was going to have to upgrade to a bed—perhaps one of the twin beds in the guest room? She could think more on that later. She held Margaret tight to her chest, having bundled her up in a fleece baby blanket, and by the time she reached the living room Ray had stoked the embers into a roaring fire again. Unbeknownst to her it looked as though he’d restocked the firewood at some point during his extended visit. He’d also pushed the end tables to the corners of the room, and rolled up the Persian rug. The room felt surprisingly warm—or perhaps it was Ray’s smile when they exchanged the baby and she headed back upstairs with the flashlight to find some socks to supplement the warmth the blankets would provide.

She returned to find Ray with Margaret cuddled against him, her head protectively nestled against his chin and neck. “Would you like me to help you with those?” he offered. Donna couldn’t break up the connection between father and daughter, so she answered no thanks and went to work. She found the softest blanket she could to place against the hardwood floor, hoping against hope that it would create a fleece cloud for them to rest upon. Next she added a thick, well-made quilt, before topping it with her newest comforter. Then she put flannel sheets together as though it was an actual mattress before completing her work with a chenille blanket, comforter, and a hand-made quilt Aunt Lil had given them in Kansas. She doubted Ray even remembered it.

“How does it look?” she asked him.

“Like the best makeshift bed I’ve seen outside of a hunting camp.” His smile glowed white in the darkness. “How should we go about this?”

Donna lowered to the floor and put on her socks. “Would you like a pair of these?” she asked. “They’re unisex, I promise.”

He chuckled quietly. “No, I’ll be all right.” He handed Margaret to her and Donna placed her in the middle of the pallet. Then Donna climbed in the other side while Ray made one last check of the fire.

“At least the first place Margaret slept in the house was an actual mattress, even if I did have to hem her in like a new puppy. She’d going to start to think we live like Gypsies!”

“You’re just bringing her back to her roots,” he reminded her. “That was how everyone used to sleep, especially family crowding together.” Ray looked at her cautiously before climbing beneath the covers. “You sure you’re okay with this?”

Donna couldn’t reveal her trepidation to him, because then he would recognize the depth of her feelings and prod her to be his lover again. “We need all the body heat we can muster,” she replied, indirectly evading his question.

He climbed beneath the blankets, tucking them securely around the three of them. They exchanged good nights. “Goodnight, my little angel,” he whispered. Afterward, they both pretended to sleep, though it actually took several more minutes before they were relaxed enough to submit to the reality that they were sharing a bed for the first time since Margaret’s conception.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Yet another amazing update! :dance: Full score without any doubt: :10::10::10::10:

I especially loved this part ('cause it had so much depth and truth ... as I see it): :jolly:
    "Donna remained perplexed by the old feelings Ray was awakening within her. She loved Ray as much as she always had—the disappointment and regret were receding into the past—and she realized that, no matter what the future held, there was no way she could ever feel nothing for him. He had given her their beautiful daughter, and in the best times he had provided unconditional love and emotional support. He was providing the latter now even if he didn’t realize it. To have someone who would ask her about her day but not necessarily relate everything to the election was incredibly valuable and refreshing.". :yep:

Even though a small part of Donna questions if Ray understands what life would be like if she was appointed Govenor of the Lonestar State, she has enjoyed spending time with him. And with the unforgettable kiss, Ray has definitele left a "hickey" on Donna's mind! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

I loved the reference to Margaret's grandparents! She is one lucky girl! :bravo:

Great scene with Ray showing up in only a pair of jeans! Donna was not only blinded by Ray's flashlight but also his good looks! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

I chuckled when Ray said: “Like the best makeshift bed I’ve seen outside of a hunting camp.:giggle:
    And also when Donna said: “She’d going to start to think we live like Gypsies!:lolo:

The ending was very powerful, IMHO: "... ... they were sharing a bed for the first time since Margaret’s conception." :wink@
    I can't wait to see what happens next! :hats: Will Donna and Ray "grow" closer as the storm rages outside? :danc:. Will Margaret sleep through the storm? :think: Please update real soon! :bowing

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,324
    Medals:
    Of course the power went out. So it's a good thing Ray stayed as they surely will keep warm better when huddled together. ;)
    Although sleeping on the floor in front of the fire place seems rather uncomfortable. Romantic maybe but I imagine the floor would be colder than the beds upstairs that had already been slept in before the power went out. Then again I guess being closer to the fireplace must be warmer.

Over all it was a cute update. I love hos circumstances are pushing them sort of back together again. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,755
    Medals:
    When she awoke the next morning, Donna was alone. At first she was startled, but the warmth on her face let her know that the power had been restored during the night. She looked up and saw that Ray had allowed the fire to go out before leaving the room and taking Margaret with him. The pallet had done its job, keeping them warm even if it wasn’t as comfortable as the standard mattress. Still, it was better than what she could recall of her college dormitory mattress, which had been produced for reformatories rather than civilians. She finished yawning, wiped the sleep from her eyes, and climbed to her feet.

She padded toward the kitchen, where she was hoping she actually had something in her fridge aside from baby food. The sounds of laughter greeted her as she entered. Ray was dressed in yesterday’s clothes and standing at the stove cooking, while Margaret watched in awe from the highchair. “Good morning,” he said when she entered. “The cowgirl and I thought you were going to sleep all day,” he teased. In another time and place, she would have swatted his butt playfully and pressed herself against him. A lot had changed since then—Donna was only playful with their daughter now. In her work she tried to balance being deadly serious with a comfortable nonchalance, but didn’t know how often she actually succeeded in that endeavor. For the moment though, she was happy to share bacon and eggs with Ray. It didn’t hurt matters that he was doing all of the cooking. “I’ll head out and shovel the driveway and sidewalk while you eat,” he offered.

“Nonsense!” she objected. “Eat with your daughter and I.”

Ray smiled at her. “Margaret has already eaten,” he said with grin. “And burped. I think she told me she’s really looking forward to being potty trained.”

Donna gave him a good-natured albeit sardonic look. “Ray, she doesn’t even know that word.”

“Potty!” Margaret spat out, countermanding her mother’s oath. Ray’s brows lifted amusedly. Donna shook her head in self-reproach.

“I usually try not to feel foolish before ten in the morning,” she said, grateful when Ray gave her some food to put in her mouth instead of her foot. He sat down beside her and the incident wasn’t mentioned again.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Wonderful update! :loveit: Glad to know that things are moving along nicely for the Krebbs family! :kiss:

If anyone would care to share where I'd be able to pick up a sweet and decent guy like Ray, please let me know! :kiss: He's on to Donna's needs even before she's aware of them! And I love it! :kiss:

The update also made me have a flashback to the nights that I spent on a horrible college dorm mattress! The worst kind of mattress ... and it had a plastic cover, so people couldn't leave "stains" of any kind! :giggle: ... ... and it would squeak, whenever you turned over in bed! :lolo: To sum it all up, I'm quite convinced that Donna is right that the mattress Ray and her "built" together would be much better! :gotcha:
    Please update soon! :best:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 2