The Cowboy and the Lady

Discussion in 'Dallas Writers Room' started by Ray&Donna, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    Cute how he cooked them breakfast and she had to withhold her impulses to spank him. There is definitely something still lingering in the air between them. :)
    Also I think potty is a bad word isn't it? :lolo:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Mrs Bobby James Ewing Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +904
    Cute updates Ray&Donna. :) I still enjoy reading your story when you update it for us and Happy 4th of July.:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    With the driveway and walk shoveled, Ray understood—with a sense of resignation—that it was time for him to head back to Braddock. He returned to the house to say his goodbyes. Being able to kiss Donna again, spend so much together, and even share a bed, had been a Godsend, despite the lack of physicality. To say nothing of how much time he’d been able to spend with Margaret. They’d barely been apart for the past twenty-four hours, and he was amazed at the connection they had been able to form. She knew that he was her daddy, he was a cowboy, and he loved her more than life itself. He loved her the world full; he would gladly try to lasso the moon and pull it down if she asked him to. He loved Donna too, but it was very different—she was a fully-formed person, while Margaret required molding and guidance to become the best version of herself. He knew that would be achieved if he was a consistent presence in her life rather than just an every-other-weekend parent. Once Donna made her mind up about something it had been done with such intense consideration that she would rarely shift her position. He would just have to slowly wear her down until she admitted that she couldn’t imagine a life without him.

He found them together in the living room; Donna had dressed their daughter in play clothes and put on something warm but comfortable for herself. “Well, I took care of what I said I would,” he told her with a smile. “Would you like me to stay and wash the dishes, too?”

Donna shook her head. “I already put them in the dishwasher. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate everything you’ve done for us the past day and a half. I don’t know that I would have had the foresight to keep a fire going in case the power went out.”

“It was my pleasure,” Ray admitted, his smile more humble now. “I enjoyed the extra time…with Margaret, I mean.” He lowered to his haunches and held out his arms, which his daughter walked into. “Bye, sweetie. I’ll see you real soon, okay?” She hugged and kissed him.

“Bye, daddy.” The words tugged at his heart and he fought to keep tears from pricking at his eyes. He hugged her as tightly as he would allow himself.

“Goodbye, Donna.”

“Bye, Ray.” She walked toward him and they exchanged cheek kisses. “I hope the ranch didn’t sustain too much damage,” she said.

“Me too,” he replied. “It looks like your neighborhood was spared the worst of it. I might have seen one or two limbs in the yard a few houses down; they were probably dead and just waiting to fall. Better it happens now than in the summer when children are outside playing.” He looked at the two girls in his life and smiled unevenly. “See y’all later,” he said, touching the brim of his hat and swallowing hard as he shrugged on his coat and headed into the cold and lonely February morning. He drove carefully back to the ranch, but most of the churches must’ve canceled their services as he barely saw a vehicle on the highways. Though the ones he wore smelled of Donna’s townhouse, he knew that he would need to change into some fresh clothes before the day was through.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    Most assuredly. I guess horrible college mattresses are a universal truth, though mine wasn't covered against stains. :lol:

Perhaps, but you'd definitely rather have your child say potty before "sh*"t" or "f*ck" ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    For a young child to say that they have "to go potty" or "to poop" can be quite embarrassing, but I would never refer them as "bad" words.

On the contrary, s*** or the f***-word are a definite no-go for my children at any age (and also a no-go for their friends if they're at our house or with us elsewhere)!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Beautiful update! :danc:

I'm anxious to know what was on Donna's mind as Ray got ready to leave her house! :) And I wonder if Margaret will "react" to her daddy not being there anymore! :think:

I especially loved these parts ... ... I simply had to read them over and over again: :wink@
    • "Being able to kiss Donna again, spend so much together, and even share a bed, had been a Godsend, despite the lack of physicality."
    • "To say nothing of how much time he’d been able to spend with Margaret. They’d barely been apart for the past twenty-four hours, and he was amazed at the connection they had been able to form. She knew that he was her daddy, he was a cowboy, and he loved her more than life itself. He loved her the world full; he would gladly try to lasso the moon and pull it down if she asked him to."
    • "He would just have to slowly wear her down until she admitted that she couldn’t imagine a life without him."
    • "He lowered to his haunches and held out his arms, which his daughter walked into. “Bye, sweetie. I’ll see you real soon, okay?” She hugged and kissed him. “Bye, daddy.” The words tugged at his heart and he fought to keep tears from pricking at his eyes. He hugged her as tightly as he would allow himself."
    • "He looked at the two girls in his life and smiled unevenly. “See y’all later,” he said, touching the brim of his hat and swallowing hard as he shrugged on his coat and headed into the cold and lonely February morning."
    • "Though the ones he wore smelled of Donna’s townhouse, he knew that he would need to change into some fresh clothes before the day was through."
    Of course, I'm praying that Ray and Donna soon will realize that they can't live without each other ever again! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Please update soon! :best:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    It's sweet how he wants to be involved in Margaret's life and rather be a full time dad than a weekend dad. :)

I wonder what's gonna happen next?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    The action leaves Dallas...briefly :)

In a desolate part of Colorado, Bobby Ewing pistol-whipped the unarmed security guard and hogtied his hands and feet together. After months of chasing dead ends, it felt good to unleash a little violence upon someone who stood in his way. Placing his back flat against the cold concrete wall, he checked his surroundings, looking for snipers or, worse yet, guards who actually were armed. For this mission he’d left his high-powered rifles back in the nondescript van he’d been using as his vehicle. It blended easily in with the scores of work vans that travelled America’s streets and highways: dry cleaners, contractors, professional carpet steamers, and plumbers. To the other people on the roads, he could have been any of the above. Instead, he was a man working reconnaissance, tracking down the sister-in-law who had destroyed his marriage and tried to ruin his life until she finally succeeded: she risked her freedom and her fortune to return to visit Pam in the hospital. When Bobby had run into her, he’d been stunned. She had tried to kill him on more than one occasion, but when that hadn’t worked she had jumped bail and fled the country. No one had heard from her until he saw her lurking around the corridors outside of Pam’s room, where she was recovering from a car accident that by all accounts should have been fatal. She had sustained fractured bones as well as severe burns over most of her body. At first Bobby had stupidly and selfishly urged his family not to visit Pam at the hospital; what a mistake that had been! Perhaps if he’d allowed her more company someone would have been there to thwart Katherine’s abduction. Pam had just begun to recover—her bones were mending and the surgeons were working on skin grafts. She was able to communicate with him, though not with the lovely voice and sexy laugh that had brought so much happiness into his life. How could he have been so irresponsible to let Katherine run around Braddock when one phone call could have put her in jail for life? Her plan, whatever it had been, was succeeding—she’d taken his wife and Christopher’s mother away from them, fracturing the Ewing family in the process—and Bobby had spent the entire months of November, December, January and February following leads, few though they were, and now in early March he’d arrived in Colorado. He would have been woefully unprepared for this expedition had he not purchased a parka beforehand. Bobby felt bad that he’d missed Christmas with his family, who had no idea where he was, just that he was on a reconnaissance mission to rescue Pam and bring her home. He didn’t care had badly the flames had altered her appearance—he loved the woman inside, and he knew his family felt the same way. Except for J.R. of course, who’d never learned to appreciate wives and mothers for the goddesses they were.

Bobby stuck his head around the corner, checking to make sure he was clear. Dressed all in black, he looked like a cat burglar on the world’s strangest retrieval job. He kept his back flat against the wall and worked to regulate his breathing as he worked further toward the glass windows he saw along part of the house that sat there like a fortress on a hill. He couldn’t understand why someone with security guards wouldn’t have the foresight to build the structure with either very high windows, or none at all. Perhaps this wasn’t that the case; it could simply have been a very nice house that a subsequent, rather eccentric and paranoid owner, chose to fortify. Possibly the Howard Hughes type. Glancing around the barren courtyard, Bobby wondered if the house had any sort of security system. If so, it hadn’t revealed its secrets yet. The interior was dark, with even the moonlight unable to illuminate whatever was hid behind the windows. The structure was confined to a single level, though he knew its position on a promontory meant it could conceal at least one basement, if not more. He eyed the door, curious about the lock above the pull handle. It looked like the kind of door you’d find on the back of a warehouse or strip mall, not a citadel or whatever this place was meant to be. Lowering to his stomach, he slid along the austere surface until he reached the door. No shots had been fired, and no lights had been turned on—both good signs. He knew that Katherine had spared no expense in previous plots, including framing his ex-fiancée for murder, so he wondered how much capital she still had access to.

Careful to keep his handgun within easy reach, he felt on his belt until he found his lock-picking kit. The moon might not have done much to reveal the interior of the house, but it was providing enough light to see the lock without Bobby having to hold a flashlight while he worked. Opening the small case, he retrieved a tool that he’d been assured would pick every possible lock aside from the front door of the Pentagon. Listening for the internal mechanism that kept the tumblers in placer to move aside, he worked the tool until he heard what he was looking for. Gently he pulled on the door, closed the toolkit, and retrieved his gun. He didn’t know what, if anything, was waiting for him on the other side. Peeking just past the door, he could see that the place was as dark as a tomb. He felt for a light switch on the wall…nothing. He took stock of everything his senses could tell him about the space: it was climate-controlled but soundless; the floor appeared to be terra cotta tiles; and when he lifted his hand skyward, his fingers touched the ceiling. Taking a chance, he turned on the flashlight in an effort to see if he could glean any further information.

“What the…?” he muttered, glancing around. Like the exterior of the building, the interior walls also appeared to be stucco. The floor, as he’d conjectured, was roughened Western tile. The ceiling was barely eight feet. There was no trace of an overhead light, or even a switch. The room was empty of furniture, and only the portal through which he entered provided any differentiation. A walled-off fortress was strange enough, but a room that led nowhere? Was this some kind of joke on Katherine’s part, to lead him to this remote place, this dead end? He had to be missing something, even the most infinitesimal clue, to explain this set of circumstances.

With the flashlight, he scanned the floor tiles one by one. The row along the back wall was normal, as were the ones along the front wall and the sides. For the most part he found nothing out of the ordinary. But then four rows back, near the middle of the side wall, one tile didn’t quite match the rest in its placement or the color of its grout. In fact, the grout looked more like caulk. Judiciously he walked toward it, unaware if it might be some kind of trap, like a pressure-sensitive bomb that worked on the same principle as a land mine. Lowering to one knee, he removed his knife from its sheath and edged around the tile until he’d loosened it. No explosion so far, he thought to himself, but no trace of Pam, either.

Gingerly he lifted the tile from its place and set it aside. Beneath it was a hollow, box-like space, about four inches deep and empty except for a doll. It was somewhat old-fashioned, with brown hair made from yawn and split into pigtails on either side of its cloth head. It wore a blue and white gingham dress like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz. He picked it up, held it where he could get a better view of it, and saw that there was nothing else left in the cavity. He slid the tile back into place as best as he could. Turning the doll over, he saw that someone has slashed its back open until its stuffing was hanging out like epidermis from a deep cut. Bobby grimaced in a combination of anguish and anger when he saw that PAM had been scrawled across its head in what could only have been blood.

He was definitely on the right trail.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    What a nice surprise to see a Bobby update. I enjoyed following him on his search for Pam. :)

He gave her up way too easily on the show. Ridiculously easy even as that goodbye letter could easily have been sent by Katherine or someone else as a ploy to keep them apart. So it's good to see him searching for Pam.

But that doll was creepy. I mean how sick is Katherine in your story? :(

Also I had forgotten that she was the one who framed Jenna for Naldo's murder.

Anyway I hope Bobby will find Pam soon and bring her home with him back to Southfork where she belongs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    Yes, for the show to be so dismissive was a slap in the face to both the couple itself and the fans who had watched the show for so many year.

Katherine remains an enigma, even to the writer ;) She could have easily injected air into Pam's IV and killed her, but instead she spirited her away from the hospital and, is, perhaps even leaving bread crumbs for Bobby. We shall see where this goes :)

With most of its trees young, small, and immature, Ray’s ranch had been spared the brunt of the winter storm. Southfork, on the other hand, looked mangled in places, century-old trees having been frozen, thawed, and re-frozen until they split from the inside out and fell to the ground. The current ranch foreman, Carson Warner, would bring in a team of professionals to take care of the heavy lifting as soon as he could, but for now he and Ray were picking up the smallest limbs and putting them into the back of the truck. They would meet the wood chipper soon enough, with the sawdust going into the stables. The men had waited until the storm was little more than a memory—there was no point in trying to clear anything until the trees thawed of ice, letting the final broken limbs fall to the ground. The snow was gone too, though thankfully the frozen ground meant that the ranch wasn’t Texas’s largest mud hole. Clayton drove the truck, his contribution to the effort since he was unable to do any heavy lifting. Ray was wearing a balaclava beneath his hat, but he could still feel the cold air leeching into his joints as the day wore on. They stopped for lunch and coffee at noon, with Ray grateful once again for the person who’d invented the Thermos. They planned to work until at least six that evening, so Ray knew they’d all be bone-tired by the time they arrived at home that evening. They discussed how much firewood they were going to accumulate once the professionals had left, but naturally the conversation turned toward the state’s favorite topic of conversation—the gubernatorial race.

“Ray,” Carson said after he’d finished eating, “I know it’s none of my business, but how did you ever wind up married to a politician?”

He smiled, sipping from his coffee and letting the cup warm his hands. “We were head-over-heels in love,” he replied, thinking back to the fitful nature of their early relationship. “I’d dated plenty of course, but this was somethin’ different entirely. I was fine with living in my cabin on the ranch, the same one you live in now, but when I met Donna, I really started thinking that I needed my own place. Even though we broke up twice before we finally tied the knot, that brick house of mine was built just for her. You’ll meet someone like that someday if you’re lucky, but don’t rush it,” he cautioned. “Love happens when it’s meant to.”

Carson nodded, obviously wise enough to know not to ask what caused the dissolution of their marriage.

Clayton was still on a healthy diet, but Miss Ellie had relented some and now he was allowed to eat red meat again, albeit thinly-sliced roast beef. Ray imagined that he was grateful to have found someone young and able-bodied to care for the ranch that Miss Ellie loved so much. Having finished his meal, he entered the conversation too.

“Ray, did you know that Cliff Barnes was one of Donna’s most ardent supporters?”

“I didn’t,” he replied tightly, though he couldn’t say he was surprised. Cliff was always working some kind of angle, looking for an opportunity to use someone to his advantage, which is exactly what Ray figured he had been doing during his brief relationship with Donna prior to their marriage. Perhaps Ray was being too harsh on him, though. Leopards couldn’t change their spots, but perhaps Barnes had turned over a new leaf with Pam’s unfortunate disappearance. He seriously doubted it, but then figured that their paths weren’t likely to cross many times over the coming months. Donna wasn’t exactly asking him to escort her to fundraisers and events. Were men even allowed to attend DOA events?

“He spoke on her behalf at the fundraiser, and he’s been making sure everyone in the Cartel is backing her financially. He seemed genuine in both his praise for her and her plans for the state. For the first time in his life, I think he managed to speak publicly without once slandering the Ewings.” He turned toward Carson and chuckled softly. “Someday we’ll have to tell you about the 1983 Oil Baron’s Brawl.”

“I definitely had a problem with Cliff’s words, but I had no problem with him and J.R. fighting like idiots on the floor. There’s something damned funny about two wealthy assholes engaging in fisticuffs among the cream of Dallas society.”

Carson nearly spit out his coffee. “You call your brother an asshole?”

The two elder men looked at him sarcastically. “To know J.R. is not to love him,” Ray said, not mincing words. While they might have been friends at one point in their lives, it had been more than clear since that he only had use for people who could benefit him in some way. More often than not, Ray hadn’t fit the bill. Still, as long as everyone else in the family—to say nothing of Donna and Margaret—liked having him around, he didn’t worry about his eldest brother.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    Great update again. :)

Seems like Southfork is in a sad state after the winter storm. But at least the house is still standing. Also I enjoyed Ray telling the new ranch foreman about the Ewing's rivalry with Cliff Barnes and it was funny how he called both JR and Cliff assholes. :giggle:

I agree with you about Bobby and Pam. The way their story ended on the show was a serious slap in the face to all their fans who had invested so many years in their story! :(

Love this line! :kiss:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Great update about Bobby's search for Pam! :spinning:
    Very different from the rest of this fanfic, but I love it! :jolly: I love his perseverance in regards to finding not only Katherine but even more so the love of his life! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

I can't wait to find out more! :best:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    I'm happy to know that Ray's ranch made it through the winter storm without "scars"! :):):) However, Miss Ellie's beloved Southfork wasn't so lucky! :(:(:(

I really enjoyed Ray telling Carson how he and Donna ended up together! :spinning: Also loved Ray's words: “To know J.R. is not to love him”!

My favorite part of the latest update was the end: "While they might have been friends at one point in their lives, it had been more than clear since that he only had use for people who could benefit him in some way. More often than not, Ray hadn’t fit the bill. Still, as long as everyone else in the family—to say nothing of Donna and Margaret—liked having him around, he didn’t worry about his eldest brother."

Please update really soon! :10::10: I wanna see how love makes the world go around and ! :loveit:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    Donna was so busy over the course of the next five or six weeks that she only saw Ray when he came to spend time with Margaret. Their daughter’s first birthday party had been a rousing success, especially when she managed to blow out the single candle atop her Care Bears cake. Otherwise Donna spent most of her waking hours crisscrossing the state, shaking hands and rallying supporters; downtime was spent with her campaign brain trust. Dave flew in from Washington when he could to help out, but he and Senator Thompson had cosponsored legislation intended to help eliminate the tariffs on exported oil. It may have been for the best that she was too busy to spend time with Ray, because even before the torrid kiss they’d shared the day of the ice storm, she’d wanted to get with him both physically and emotionally. She wanted to share his house, his life, and his bed again. It just wasn’t the right time. Would it ever be? her conscience asked loud and clear. She had to focus her thoughts, though. She was in the green room at KDAL, the station which broadcasted the talk show of the revolting-but-popular Roy Ralston. She figured the interview would be at best a hatchet job and at worst a witch-hunt, but she’d agreed to it and hoped he would be impartial and open to what she had to say. Her interview, one of three on the schedule, was to be squeezed in between a tight end for the Dallas Cowboys and the state’s youngest rodeo champion. She could hardly be blamed if the audience wasn’t filled with potential voters. She studied her notecards and was waiting patiently when the producer told her that she was up. She heard him introduce her—points for including her married name—and walked into the studio to generous applause. The football player gave her a thumbs-up as he exited the backstage area, probably headed off for spring training. She shook Ralston’s hand and was seated on the couch reserved for his guests.

“Mrs. Krebbs, you’re hoping to become only the second female governor of a testosterone-heavy state. What inspired you to jump back into the political arena here in the Lone Star State, and do you really think you have a chance at winning it all?”

Donna smiled at him as genuinely as she could. It was hardly Christian to judge another person so harshly, but she really did find him a pompous windbag. “Well, it just seemed like the state really needed to move in a new direction. If we want people to take us seriously again, we can’t just rely on past success and swagger. We have to invest in new ventures, modernize our infrastructure, and seek out opportunities to better the lives of all current and future Texans. In other words, I want to make the people of this state feel confident in their politicians. Can you say that you are confident in the direction this state is headed?”

Ralston gave her a brief look of disdain before putting back on his happy face for the cameras. “This interview isn’t about me, Mrs. Krebbs, but you. Perhaps you’re trying to evade my question?”

“Not at all, Mr. Ralston. I had finished with my business in Washington, D.C., and was simply asked by a group of concerned parties if I would be interested in running for governor. Even though I haven’t always lived here, my heart has always belonged to Texas and its people.” She looked to the audience and smiled. Her nervousness was now gone.

“Mrs. Krebbs, your lead in the campaign has increased by three points since Lucas Crawford was named as your running mate. You’re now leading Senator Graham by four points. How do you plan to maintain that lead as we go into the primaries and the general election this fall?”

She refrained from rolling her eyes at him; it would look both unprofessional and mean-spirited. “I just have to keep getting my message out there: one of pride and prosperity for all citizens of Texas. I have also been speaking to plenty of women’s groups, and as you know they are a political force to be reckoned with.”

“And yet you picked a very popular assemblyman from Plano—a male, in fact—to be your second-in-command. What would you say to those who suggest that your campaign has gotten a serious boost thanks to his support, not to mention that of the Ewings?”

“I would say that Mr. Crawford has been an asset to the campaign from the time he became involved—he is knowledgeable, energetic, and espouses the same goals for the state that I do. As for the Ewings, they are my family. They are my daughter’s family. Their positive contributions to this state cannot be overlooked.”

“Nor their negative ones,” Ralston muttered under his breath and away from the microphone. He glanced toward the producer who was counting down. “It looks like we are running out of time for our segment. We’d like to thank you for stopping by, Mrs. Krebbs. Best of luck in the upcoming election. Any final words for our audience?”

She looked to the camera and smiled. She hoped to appear as open and warm to everyone as she did to her supporters. “Come out and vote this May,” she said. “That’s the best way to get things done. I’d appreciate your support.” She looked back to Roy and shook his hand. “Thank you again, Mr. Ralston.” She stood and left the studio to another round of applause. She returned to the green room and found the eight-year-old rodeo cowboy drinking from a juice box. White-blonde hair stuck from beneath his hat and brown freckles sprinkled his nose and cheeks.

“I wish I was old enough to vote, Miss Krebbs, because I’d pick you. You’re real pretty and you don’t spit tobacco juice when you speak.”

She smiled hugely and tried not to laugh. “Thank you, young man,” she said, tapping him on the end of the nose. “Tell your parents to vote Krebbs-Crawford in the election,” she added with a wink.

“Will do,” he said, sucking the box dry. She waved him goodbye, wondering if he’d ever remember their exchange five minutes from now when he was out on the stage, showing the audience how to do tricks with a lariat.

“You handled that windbag Ralston with aplomb, Donna,” Luke said as he glanced at a sheet detailing recent poll numbers. His brown hair was cut military-short, and reading glasses rested perilously close to the end of his nose.

“Yeah, you can never prepare for someone like him,” she replied to her running mate. She was working on a speech she planned to give for a group of oilmen and women, with the hope that Jordan Lee wouldn’t be the only bigwig from the petroleum industry to support her campaign. “He’ll give you a bunch of softball questions until he thinks he’s got you captured in the palm of his hand. Then he’ll try to stick in the knife and twist it until you feel like you’re naked onstage.”

“I’ll try to remember that in case he invites me on the show,” he muttered absently.

“I don’t think you have to worry about that, Luke. His goal was to humiliate me, and it failed miserably. He wouldn’t treat you the same way as he does a female candidate. J.R. put out feelers several years ago in regards to challenging Dave for his senate seat, and Ralston, despite knowing my brother-in-law’s history of misdeeds, ran with the campaign like it was the hottest thing to come along since sliced bread.” Donna shook her head. “But then another scandal erupted and J.R.’s candidacy, along with Roy Ralston’s support, dried up like a puddle in West Texas.”

“So how does Ralston still have a journalism career after all of that?”

Donna laughed. “He pulled out at just the right time. When it comes to news, people have very short attention spans if they pay any attention at all. Everyone is always looking for the next sleazy, salacious story to grab them by the throat.”

He adjusted his glassed upward and met her gaze. “That’s kind of cynical, don’t you think?”

Donna smiled at him. “No, just realistic,” she replied. “You’re playing in the big leagues now, and unfortunately nothing is sacrosanct.” She was crossing out double-typed words on her sheet of paper when the phone rang. “Sorry about having to take this, Luke. It might be something important.” He nodded in regard to her apology. “Hello? Oh, hi Sue Ellen! How are you?”

“Good, thanks. Look, your campaign manager gave me your number since we’ve gotten so well acquainted the past few months. I hope that’s all right?”

“Yes, of course. Do you need me to speak before the DOA again?”

“That would be lovely, but not at the moment. I was actually calling to invite you and Margaret to John Ross’s birthday party this weekend.”

“Is it that time again?” Donna asked, amazed at how quickly the years were flying by. “We’d be glad to come, but won’t we be a little out of place among the teenagers?”

“This is a family party,” Sue Ellen reassured her. “I’ll take him and some of his friends to the arcade for pizza and games the next day. He’d be inclined to complain if two parties didn’t mean twice as many gifts.”

“Thanks again for sending Margaret’s gift even though you were unable to come to the party. I’ll have to pick up something for the handsome young man and have it gift-wrapped.”

“Perhaps a Roy Ralston punching bag?”

Donna laughed. “I take it you’re not a fan, either.”

“Hardly. He thinks that men are the head honchos and that women are meant to stand in the background and smile like idiots. If I had his platform, you can guarantee that I’d ask tough questions but without talking down to the guests.”

Sue Ellen hosting a local talk show? Yes, Donna could see that. The Sue Ellen she’d gotten to know since returning to Dallas bore little relation to the terminally sad and meek woman who had been mistreated by her husband and dismissed as a hopeless drunk by most everyone else. Thankfully she’d had an ally in Clayton, and finally herself as she came into her own. Sue Ellen deferred to no one now, neither man nor woman. She held her head high and ran both her business and the DOA with the knack of a seasoned veteran. For all intents and purposes she and her husband seemed to be leading separate lives now, though Donna couldn’t imagine J.R. not being there for his only child’s birthday party.

“My sincerest apologies for having to cut things short, Donna, but I’m taking Miss Ellie into Dallas to order the birthday cake. So we’ll see you Saturday?”

“Of course,” Donna replied. “Take care, Sue Ellen.”

“You too. Goodbye.”

“Bye-bye.” She set the phone in its cradle and smiled.

“Your sister-in-law?” Luke inquired.

“Yes, the one with whom I never had anything in common. Times have changed, though. There are those people in the world who are either unable or unwilling to change, but thankfully she’s not one of them. My other sister-in-law was kidnapped so Sue Ellen has been helping to keep the family together as best as she can.”

“Kidnapped? Wow, the Ewings really aren’t like the rest of us!”

Donna grinned at him. “You can say that again.”

• Like Like x 2
  15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,313
    Medals:
    Interesting updates. So Pam was kidnapped and Sue Ellen might be heading for a career within TV. Yeah I can totally see it. :)

"a pompous windbag" suits well to describe Ralston! :laughs:

I suppose Donna might run into Ray at John Ross' party...

I'm confused about Donna's remark of not fitting in with the teenagers though since in 1988 John Ross was not a teenager just yet. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Another great update! :spinning:

So six weeks have passed since the big storm? And Margaret has already celebrated her first birthday? :think: I'm curious how Ray and Donna made it through those weeks after "spending" the intense and stormy night together! I mean, it must have been difficult seeing each other several times each week, when he visited his daughter (except, of course, if Donna was on the road when Ray stopped by!). I'm sure that there's a good reason why you (@Ray&Donna) chose not to write scenes about the times that they DID go eye to eye! Maybe I'll just have to be patient and wait to see, if I'll get my questions answered in one of the next updates! ;)
    I get tired just listening to Donna's busy schedule! :embarrassed: It must be so hard running for senator while also being a full-time mother! :hat:

Donna did awesome in the interview, IMO! :dance: Smart move on her part when she tried to make the question about Ralston! :giggle: BTW, I love the "pompous windbag" description too! :gotcha:

Of course, Donna's heart has always belonged both to Texas (i.e. the state and its people) and in Texas (i.e. where the love if her life is). :wink@

I loved how Donna "defended" the presence of the Ewings in her life and their positive contributions to the state of Texas! :gotcha: It was funny how Ralston quickly switched to commercials! :lolo:

The eight-year-old rodeo cowboy in the green room was real cute: "You’re real pretty and you don’t spit tobacco juice when you speak." :hats:

This part was just hilarious: “Then he’ll try to stick in the knife and twist it until you feel like you’re naked onstage.:lolo:

YEAH ... ... :clap:... ... Donna got an invitation to John Ross' birthday party! And not just any party, but the family party! :dance: Let's hope that Ray and Donna will talk ... or better yet ... kiss! :kiss:

Please update soon! :jolly: :best: :loveit:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    Party time! :)

John Ross’s birthday party featured a setup which Donna had never seen before: for the first time in her memory, the Southfork pool was covered by a platform which was topped with a long table, atop which were arranged packages wrapped with brightly-colored paper. It looked as though John Ross had cleaned up in the gift department this year. With Margaret now firmly afoot, she ran toward her grandparents as soon as Donna set her on the sidewalk. It was perfect weather for an outdoor party—the sky was a brilliant blue, the wind was surprisingly calm, and the clouds were wispy like raw cotton. It wasn’t too hot either, which usually wasn’t the case when it came time for outdoor events at the ranch; the only thing hotter than the sauce at a Ewing Barbeque was the temperature itself. Laughter filled the air, which was also unusual. Ray stood near the back porch, nodding to Donna in greeting when their eyes met. John Ross sat at a table with his parents and Christopher. Sue Ellen looked radiant, and even J.R. seemed to be in a good mood. Donna’s gift had been delivered by courier earlier, so she headed for Miss Ellie and Clayton’s table. They smiled and greeted her; they’d even included a highchair for Margaret in the table arrangement. It was a shame that Bobby and Pam were absent—the family seemed nearly complete otherwise. “Good afternoon,” she said, taking her seat.

“Hello Donna,” Miss Ellie replied. “You look beautiful today.”

“Thanks ma’am,” she said. “This will probably be my last chance to relax for the month, so I’m glad we had the opportunity to attend the party.”

“That’s right,” Clayton said. “You’ve got the gubernatorial debate this week, and then the election the week after that.”

She nodded. “I’m glad most of Texas is in the same time zone. It helps with the jet lag. Some of the trips are so lengthy that you can sneak in a nap as long as you’re careful not to mess up your hair or makeup.”

“I just don’t think I could spend that much time away from home,” Miss Ellie said with a warm smile. “I love Southfork too much.”

“As does everyone who has been fortunate enough to live here,” Donna concurred. “What do you say, Maggie?” she asked her daughter, who gleefully leaned against Clayton’s chest. “Are you looking forward to growing up on the ranch?”

She giggled and cooed, but didn’t really answer in the affirmative. “We’d enjoy that very much,” Miss Ellie replied. Ray ambled toward them, and Donna took that moment to steer the conversation back to the day’s events.

“So when does the cake make its appearance?” she asked as Ray sat down.

“It’s an ice cream cake,” Clayton said, “with blue and white icing and the Dallas Cowboys star in the middle of it. Teresa was keeping it in the freezer until everyone arrived, but I think we’re all here now so it shouldn’t be too much longer.”

“It’s been a long time since they were in the Super Bowl,” Ray added. “I think they’re due for another championship.”

“From your mouth to God’s ears,” Donna replied with a smile. The conversation halted then and there as the kitchen doors opened and a sheet cake preceded Teresa through the passageway. She carried it to the long table and put it adjacent to the pile of gifts before heading back into the kitchen. John Ross’s eyes visibly widened when he saw the cake, and there was a lighthearted feeling to the day which caused everyone to laugh joyfully. When Teresa and Raoul returned, they brought plates, cups, napkins, utensils, and beverage dispensers for sweet tea and icewater.

“What about candles?” Sue Ellen asked.

“Aw Mom,” John Ross said, “I’m too old for blowing out candles. That’s for babies!”

“Darn right,” J.R. agreed, clapping his son on the shoulder. The three of them were photographed as a family standing behind the cake, and if one didn’t know any better they actually presented the image of normalcy and stability. Donna really felt for Christopher at that moment, as he smiled with so much fragility that it almost hid the sadness in his eyes. She was going to have to try to bolster his spirits before leaving that day; maybe she could ask Miss Ellie if it would be okay for him to spend the night at her house, or perhaps travel on the jet she used for campaign trips. He might find it boring at first, but she could think of a few different things they might do that were more fun than him sitting there while she made a speech. They could visit a museum or a toy store or go to the rodeo, which every town seemed to have on weekends during the summer.

“Donna?” Ray’s voice startled her out of her thoughts.

“Yes?” His expression was so warm that had they been alone she might have revealed her feelings right then and there.

“Would you like me to get you a piece of cake and something to drink?”

“Yes, thank you,” she replied, the two of them exchanging a smile. After he’d left the table, Miss Ellie glanced at her knowingly.

“Hmm,” she said, “now I know why you’re looking so happy these days. You two are growing close again.”

“As close as two people can be who lead separate lives,” Donna reminded her. “We mainly see each other when it comes time to swap custody of our daughter.”

“He’s had nothing but good things to say about you for the past few months,” Clayton reminded her. The three of them glanced at Ray amiably teasing his nephews. “He’d probably go out on the campaign trail if you’d invite him.”

“Maybe one event,” she argued, “but I don’t think he’d enjoy spending that much time on a plane. He’d go stir-crazy.”

“I think you might be surprised,” Clayton argued with a smile. “Ray is interested in you, regardless of where you’re headed.”

“What about the horse cutting business?” Donna inquired. Clayton winked at her.

“I think that was more of a distraction than anything else. It’s going good, but I have things well in hand on that front. Ellie thinks I’m overexerting myself, but I’ve been active my entire life. I can’t stop ranching now.”

“I just want to keep you with me as long as I possibly can,” Miss Ellie countered. Donna envied them—if they could find a second chance for happiness, there was undoubtedly hope for Ray and her—providing of course that he didn’t regress into his self-pitying guise. He returned to the table with her cake and cup of tea, set them down and then went to retrieve some for himself. Meanwhile Christopher delivered two plates for his grandparents, who then thanked him.

“Hi there, Christopher,” Donna said. “How are you doing today?”

He shrugged. “Okay, I guess. I need to eat my cake before it melts. Goodbye, Aunt Donna,” he said before ambling back to his table. Donna stared after him sadly.

“Miss Ellie,” she began, “I think Christopher could do with a change of scenery. What if I asked him to come with me to the debate this week and hang out backstage? Do you think he would enjoy that, or find it boring?”

Miss Ellie glanced at Clayton, obviously thinking it over. “What about Margaret?”

Donna shook her head. “I was going to have Angela spend the night because she has an early bedtime that doesn’t really permit her traveling to Austin with me for the evening.”

“I could see it being educational for him,” Clayton said, “and an opportunity for enrichment. I think he would enjoy it more than John Ross, who will be discovering girls before his cousin. They won’t be this close forever, unfortunately.”

“You should ask him before you leave today,” Miss Ellie suggested. “I don’t think Sue Ellen would have a problem with it, either.” Ray came back to the table again, with two plates.

“I brought a small piece for Maggie, if that’s okay.”

“Of course,” Donna said. “She’ll probably just play in it, though some of the ice cream is likely to make it inside her mouth.” Donna winked in the direction of her daughter, secured in the highchair. It wouldn’t be too much longer that Margaret outgrew the chair, she thought wistfully. Ray fed both himself and Margaret as Donna and her former in-laws exchanged small talk. Once everyone finished their cake, it was time for the party to continue: John Ross opened his gifts with more restraint than could have been expected, thanking each person as he examined their contribution to the day. Donna was glad that he enjoyed the autographed football which she had been fortunate to get personalized by Roger Staubach himself; luckily Ray had purchased one that he could actually throw around the yard.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    That's an oversight on my part--because of my age, I always think of Omri as the teenager in EERIE, INDIANA and HOCUS POCUS before I think of him as John Ross. Or I think of those characters as a teenaged John Ross. I merge and smush together every show and movie I have ever seen. :lol:

It's one of those purposeful things a writer does. If Ray and Donna barely see each other except for custody swap, then they aren't forced to confront their feelings or the events of their night together. And of course at the party itself, their focus is going to be (no matter how awkwardly) on their daughter's happiness :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,612
    Great update! :party: It's wonderful that the entire Ewing family (except Bobby and Pam) gathered for John Ross's birthday party! :kiss:

Sounds like John Ross got a really beautiful cake! ;) I also loved the birthday gift that Donna got for him, i.e. the autographed football by Roger Staubach himself! :)

Nice touch to have the Southfork pool covered to leave more square feet for all the guests! :yep:

I loved your description of the weather:
    "It was perfect weather for an outdoor party—the sky was a brilliant blue, the wind was surprisingly calm, and the clouds were wispy like raw cotton. It wasn’t too hot either, which usually wasn’t the case when it came time for outdoor events at the ranch; the only thing hotter than the sauce at a Ewing Barbeque was the temperature itself. Laughter filled the air, which was also unusual." :)
    And I chuckled when when you compared the hot weather with Southfork's BBQ sauce! :giggle:
    Happy to hear that Margaret is now walking! :jolly: I wonder what Donna meant exactly when she asked her daughter about growing up on Southfork! :think:
    I feel sorry for Christopher! He's trying to be brave, but deep inside he misses his parents! :cry: I do hope that Christopher will accept an invitation from Donna to go on the road with her! It'll do him good to get away for a bit! :yep:

Miss Ellie was always so direct! No need to "wrap" things up!:
    Hmm,” she said, “now I know why you’re looking so happy these days. You two are growing close again.” :wink@

Cute how Donna was envious of Miss Ellie and Clayton finding love and happiness again with each other for the second time around! :kiss:
    Ray was such a gentleman to Donna looking out for her every need! :jolly: I'm hoping that it won't be too long before they get back together! :kiss:

Please update soon! :best:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,747
    Medals:
    Sometimes Bobby Ewing felt like a willing participant in a wild-goose chase. The trip that had taken him from Texas to Colorado and back again, then to Oklahoma and California and now New York felt like one big attempt to screw with his mind. Occasionally he thought it was working, though if anyone had ever doubted his love for Pam they certainly couldn’t now. He was so determined to find her that some nights he didn’t sleep—he traveled by the light of the moon and disguised himself if he found himself having to enter a convenience store or restaurant. The only time he could ever remember being so exhausted both mentally and physically was in South America when he’d been searching for his father after the plane crash. He had to keep going, though—he wouldn’t quit until he and his soulmate were reunited. If he had to kill Katherine to do accomplish that then so be it, though he hoped it didn’t get that far.

He pulled up to a stop sign at an intersection that must have been a town at some point but was now little more than a post office and a ramshackle general store. To the left was Canada, and to the right the last town Katherine had lived in before returning to Dallas after they adopted Christopher. Bobby ached for his son, who must think he had the worst father in the world. He hoped their son could forgive him when he brought Pam home, regardless of how long it took. He knew that it was May now, likely around John Ross’s birthday, and it heartened him to believe that the rest of the family would help to care for his son. It was a shame that Donna had left Dallas, for she had been the most level-headed person he’d ever known. She was also incredibly caring and empathetic, and would have been a good influence on Christopher during his parents’ absence.

Still, no one could care for Christopher the way Pam always had, and so Bobby headed south, hoping against hope that he might be a hairsbreadth closer to finding the only woman he’d ever really loved. Admittedly he had concerns for her health—burn victims, even in the recovery stage, needed to be kept in an antiseptic, germ-free environment to prevent life-threatening infections which could decimate an already-weakened immune system. Unfortunately his sister-in-law hadn’t shared those concerns, wanting more than anything to ruin his and Pam’s life. He’d been incredibly foolish to ever trust her, to say nothing of failing to report her lurking around the hospital when he knew that she was a fugitive from the law. Bobby had a lot of regrets, but that wasn’t what this expedition was about; he was trying to reunite his family. Even though he’d had to leave his son to go on this mission, he prayed that it would be worth it in the end.

He drove mile after mile through the Hudson River Valley, a beautiful part of the country despite the bleakness of his quest. He watched for the road signs, sparse as they were, until he finally spotted one for Hyde Park: 15 miles. Traffic was very sparse in the area, and Bobby arrived within ten minutes. For a town with such a seminal place in history, both in the life of Katherine Wentworth and the world at large, Hyde Park was quite small—quaint, even. He imagined there were more upscale parts of town, but he wasn’t there for a pleasure trip or a family vacation. Someday perhaps, by the grace of God, he and his beloved would travel the world with their son. It was hard to imagine that Pam would be tucked away in a rural area, though perhaps that’s what Katherine had intended all along: for Bobby to chase his tail and search for Pam in a highly-secured mansion or fortress, when in reality she would be held captive in the last place he thought to check.

• Like Like x 2