The Crown

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Angela Channing, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    Is anyone watching this series? I heard it's one of the most expensive TV series ever. It has very high production values and the titles are very reminiscent of that other Netflix show, House of Cards. However, I'm finding it a bit dull so far but that maybe because the story of the Royal Family is already so familiar to me. I'm only 3 episodes in so it may get better.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    I've now finished watching all 10 episodes and I was right, it does get better. The problem with some of the episodes is that they covered stories which are really well know so they didn't seem that interesting however, I really loved episodes that were on stories I was less familiar with, particularly the ones that focussed on Churchill and the one about his portrait could have been expanded into an entire film.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,296
    We've been watching this show on Netflix, Angela... :) I know exactly what you mean in regards to the first few episodes being a bit slow. You're right... as we know a lot of the history, we're kind of pre-empted, in a way ?

Enjoying John Lithgow's performance very much.... I'd no idea "Churchill" was such an old shit a lot of the time...?? :confused:

Still to see the episode in regards to his portrait you mentioned... I'll look forward to that.

Very impressed by Claire Foy's performance, though.... she just seems to convey a certain mannered look that makes you believe she is a young Elizabeth :)

I think we're on episode 8 tonight.... ;)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    I agree, Claire Foy is very good as The Queen and John Lithgow was a revelation as Churchill, I never would have thought of him in that role but he was excellent. I also think Matt Smith was inspired casting as Prince Philip.

The other episode I really liked was episode 7 which covered Churchill's stroke and the Queen's dilemma regarding what to do. Overall, it was a hit and miss series but more hits that misses.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Kevmac

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,296
    Yes... that's the ideal description for it, Angela. More hits than misses. Matt Smith does kind of work as Philip... I stopped thinking of him as Doctor Who almost immediately.

We've finished all 10 episodes now. I hear it's been commissioned for another season :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376

We watched the first two episodes based on your recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I didn't find the first episodes to be as dull as you mentioned, but I think that's down to my expectations. I always enjoy a show more when its played down a little. I know where you were coming from when you talk about the story been familiar, but it was still really interesting and somewhat exciting to watch it play out on the screen.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    As I understand it, there will be six seasons (60 episodes) that will take us to present day - or at least to 2016.

That excites me even more.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kevmac

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,296
    Oh, that's good.... I didn't know this, Sir :)

Yes... it all really worked for me. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I watched the first episode yesterday and quite enjoyed it. I must admit, the story of the Royal Family isn't very familiar to me and I can't tell what's fact and what's fiction (I spent quite some time on wikipedia after the episode:D), but it was all pretty exciting. I'm looking forward to the next episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,079
    At the urging of friends I started watching this a few weeks ago and loved it so much I binge watched it all in two nights. Staying up to 4am the first night. I didn't think it was slow either in fact I wished it was a little slower. I'm glad that they are doing more seasons though I have read that Claire Foy wont be returning. So I guess there is a fair time jump to the next season. I am very excited about seeing what happens when we reach the things I actually remember. Like Fergie sucking toes and the whole Charles, Diana and Camilla thing. I cant wait to see them cover the '80s and '90s and in particular the Queen's horrible annus year. I think as far as horrible years go, 2016 has 1992 pretty beat.

I thought it funny also that everything I ever felt about the Queen Mother seemed to be spot on. Even though I never really heard her speak while she was alive and hadn't read anything about her.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    Indeed!
    [​IMG]

And who will play Margaret Thatcher?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    Apparently season 2 will focus on Prince Philip and Prince Charles

13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,376
    Dexter's Michael C Hall will play JFK in The Crown season two

[​IMG]

And Netflix has found its Jackie Kennedy too

Dexter's Michael C Hall will play JFK in season two of Netflix's award-winning The Crown.

Deadline reports that he'll be joined by Quarry's Jodi Balfour as Jackie Kennedy to play the late President and First Lady in Peter Morgan's hit series.

[​IMG]

The second season kicks off with soldiers in Her Majesty's Armed Forces fighting an illegal war in Egypt and climaxes with the downfall of Harold Macmillan as prime minister.

Hall's JFK is described by the show's creators as a natural leader and excellent public speaker, who feels unmanned by his wife's popularity and lets his jealousy surface behind closed doors.

At least it won't involve power tools, unless The Crown goes WAY off course.

[​IMG]

Balfour's Jackie hides a shy woman who loathes public life behind a charming exterior of confidence and glamour.

Downton Abbey's Matthew Goode has been confirmed to star in season two after reports that he'll be playing Antony Armstrong-Jones, AKA society photographer Lord Snowdon.

[​IMG]

Season two will mark the final outing for Claire Foy as Elizabeth II and Matt Smith as Prince Philip as its entire cast will be changed up for season three, with producers already said to be on the look-out for a new Queen.

They've only got to follow in Foy's Golden Globe-winning shoes, so no pressure there.

[​IMG]

Creator Peter Morgan has said that season two will focus more on the two men in the Queen's life: her husband Prince Philip and their eldest son Prince Charles.

The Crown is expected to return to Netflix for season two in November.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I really can't picture Michael C. Hall as JFK yet, but I have no doubt that he'll do just fine. Matthew Goode on the other hand I can't stand. I Hope his part won't be that big.

I'm really looking forward to the second season, the first was quite spectacular.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,079
    Is anybody watching season 2 yet? I started 2 days ago and have only 2 episodes left. It really is quite amazing, I'm loving it.

16. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,186
    Yes, I've finished watching season 2 and it was excellent, after Stranger Things, it's the best bit of TV I've seen this year. Claire Foy is outstanding in this and the series is worth seeing just for her performance.

Overall, the series is quite sympathetic to The Queen but Prince Philip comes across as a rather unpleasant and arrogant person. The episode about Prince Charles's education is heart-breaking and I never thought I would feel sorry for him but I did.

If you've not watched this series, go and view it, you won't be disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1