1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dame has spoken (Attittude interview)

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Toni, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,155
    I think it had to be a true blood Carrington.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,155
    If anyone had a reason to be pissed off it was Pamela Sue Martin

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,196
    I think John insisted on it.

4. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,196
    And she quit because the show had shifted focus. She was no longer the queen bitch after Alexis was introduced. She left in season 4 but reportedly wanted out earlier.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  5. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,155
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of that DVD artwork. I prefer full cast pictures.
    But I could also argue that Linda Evans had to feature most prominently, it's a pointless discussion.

6. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,155
    Then let me rephrase it: if anyone had a reason to be pissed off it was the Pamela Sue Martin fans.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,196
    That's it though. Joan and Linda are very different, what's important to each of them is very different. Joan is ambitious and likes attention and status. That's not really what Linda's bag is. John was threatened by Joan in a way he never could be by Linda. He didn't like that type of woman.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    Forsythe has been described continually throughout his career as gentlemanly, gracious and generous. Joan didn't really have a bad reputation until DYNASTY climbed, and then people started saying she was a pain to work with, and long after -- either because Alexis went to her head, or because she was told early in her career that "you must pull rank!" as a star, and since she knew people were going to view her as a bitch anyway, because of Alexis, she just went with it, making as many catty claims as she could to generate press.

Just to start a fire.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,155
    Incidentally, could you all please support our beloved Joan Collins Show in the World Cup thread? We're going to need every vote. Thanks :)

10. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,196
    And here he is being all of those things whilst proving that old adage that gentlemen prefer blondes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    "I'm all about the regal drama, baby -- create a scene and then blame everybody else":

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,155
    The clip is so fascinating. JF steps back, to distance himself from the situation? But then it looks as if he and DC are pulling Linda away, who wants to step forward.
    And eventually she does, even if it means she almost had to break her arms.
    She's pure class.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    For thirty years Dame Joan has been confusing fact, fiction (Dynasty) and fantasy (her imagination). I get it, the actors may not remember a scene they filmed thirty-plus years ago as well as a fan who has re-watched and obsessed over that scene in the intervening years; Gordon Thomson once mistakenly commented that Matthew returned during Amanda's wedding. But Collins goes far beyond that, she is as unreliable a source as Alexis.

As others have noted, Collins is clearly confusing the other characters' response to Alexis with her co-stars response to her. Of course Dennehy/Dunham would be thrilled to see his star witness take the stand. Virtually every other main character in that courtroom would be displeased to see Alexis; even Steven would be conflicted to see that the mother who abandoned him would return not to comfort him after the death of his lover but to testify against Blake.

Collins reaction to John James makes sense for two reasons: Jeff was fond of Alexis so he would not look on her with the same animosity as the others in the court; also, John James has a reputation for being easy-going and likable. Stephanie Beacham once described how James would be physically but not emotionally present when it was time to film his co-stars close-ups - he would imagine he was fishing instead of being invested in the scene they were filming.

Why was it wrong for Linda Evans to comment after Collins gave a completely different line-reading when the cameras were rolling from the one she gave during rehearsal? I've read that there are two schools of thought among actors regarding line-reading during table-reads and rehearsals: some actors prefer to simply read the dialogue, learn their cues and blocking and only act when the cameras are rolling or the audience is in their seats; other actors prefer to include characterization at the same time. This was the first scene between the two actresses, it makes sense to me that Evans would be assessing the acting style of someone she expected to be working with on a regular basis.

Has anyone ever accused Linda Evans of being jealous, petty or mean-spirited? Anyone? Evans allied herself with Collins in refusing to appear on The Colbys. Evans co-starred with Collins in Legends a stage play that required them to work together several days a week for the duration of the play's run. If Collins felt so disrespected by Evans why did she agree to this?

John Forsythe did disapprove of Collins' Playboy photos as not being ladylike so I can see that there may have been some friction between the two. Forsythe's title-card was no bigger than any of his co-stars nor did it play any longer. Is she really quibbling over whose image is larger on the DVD packages? Several seasons weren't released on DVD until after John Forsythe had passed away.

One co-star who I do believe may have had their nose out of joint over Collins' casting was Pamela Bellwood. Bellwood has commented that Dynasty essentially became The Joan Collins Show once she joined the cast. Bellwood went from being the third female lead with her own family to fourth female lead with no family (only interacting with the Carringtons) once Collins joined the cast. The tone of the show changed considerably and Bellwood was let go - twice! - during the show's run.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Threads:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +9,009
    It's just true.

And Joan doesn't even mind if you insult her in return (even if she pretends she does) just so long as you're talking about her.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,916
    I do believe that Forsythe did not like her because there was press about that even when the show was running, because he was vocal (and public) about his disapproval regarding the Playboy photos, and because he pulled stunts like the one in the clip. And no matter how he was in his previous career, he was quite the diva on DYNASTY, as evidenced from his demands on his character--to tone down the meanness-- and his demands for Blake to never break up with Krystle. I am not saying he was mistreating other actors, but he did have an inflated sense of his own worth on the show. On a show that did not catch fire until Collins showed up.

But I think Collins is projecting her complexes about a lot of the animosity she claims she felt from the others. Like @Alexis says, because of the situation (suddenly she gets the lines, and the other characters are in orbit around Alexis) which was widely amplified by the coverage in the press, trade and otherwise, it would be possible that the others would feel that way and that she would be concerned they would and get paranoid every now and then. But frankly, Collins has never struck me as the person to stay silent, especially once the show was over. For me the key is her mentioning the cast's interviews (and how "they did not say very nice things"). Because the cast in the later years interviews did not worship at the altar of Dame Collins, she started screaming "off with their heads" in retaliation.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,155
    There's nothing unusual about friction between co-workers, and in any other workplace you also wouldn't like a newcomer to get that big fat promotion that you "deserved".
    You don't literally have to say "I hate you" to make someone feel unwanted.
    People are people so all these things are possible.

But she always comes up with these bizarre examples, as if it was taken from a season 5 bible.
    And who are the people who told her that her co-stars "bloody hated her"? This appears to be a key factor in this story. I suspect ulterior motives!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Star

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,238

18. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,916
    I imagine some of them are only visible to her.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +625
    Holland Taylor once played Forsythe's wife on this very funny sitcom "The Powers That Be" (1992-93) and she was interviewed on one of those SAG Conversations Events back in 2014. They asked her about the experience and she said it was odd. She didn't exactly call him difficult but said he was a very stiff man. Basically humorless and not particularly nice to work with. He probably didn't like women all that much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    I understand the actress who played Jenny in season nine adored Stephanie Beacham but hated Joan Collins.

• Funny Funny x 1