The death of Cecil's and Jason's mother -- the series' ideal macguffin?

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by Snarky's Ghost, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    During the second season of DYNASTY, Blake calls Cecil Colby "a man who would stab his mother in the back to make a deal!" (or words to that effect) and Cecil really blows up.

Naturally, they did nothing with this, and Cecil was dead within months. But could there have been a subtext to this exchange? And could it have been useful to the spin-off?

I envision Cecil's mother being invited to Denver by Cecil, circa 1959, and while they're emerging from some swanky location -- like the Denver Opera House -- his mother is assaulted by a vagrant who sticks a stiletto in her back, grabs her purse, and is never found.

Later, it is revealed that only weeks before her untimely death, that ColbyCo was in trouble, and that she had changed her will to make Cecil sole heir to her family's timber company, cutting out his other siblings almost entirely. Cecil's relationship with them had always been strained, but the California Colbys become convinced that Cecil manipulated her into leaving him her entire company, and then lured her to Denver to knock her off to reap immediate benefit from the new will. Jason, in particular, is convinced. Connie and Phillip aren't so sure -- in fact, Phillip, who had his own obvious problems with Jason, was friendlier with Cecil to begin with, which is why his crypt was in Denver which Jeff visited back when he believed Phillip was dead and his biological father.

Sable suspects Cecil was innocent, too, but was none too sure that his grasping, showgirl wife -- "Choo Choo" Colby who Cecil married on the rebound from Alexis marrying Blake -- wasn't involved.

A couple of years later, Choo-Choo is killed in a grisly car accident, her vehicle hit by a locomotive unseen by Choo-Choo in the thick mountain fog as she made her way back from a Denver club to Cecil's Nine Oaks estate a few miles west of the city. She is decapitated, her head found days later some 300 feet from the railraod crossing. Cecil believes for years that Jason had Choo-Choo knocked off, and Jason believes the same about Cecil -- that she was punished or silenced, respectively.

I can just hear Sable later conveying the scandal in hushed purrs to Monica or even Fallon.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I can't.

Just cuz on The Colbys Jason's matrimonial bedroom was the room in which his mother had died. According to Jason, his last memories of her was that he had held her and kissed her goodbye.

Unless, a skeleton in the ample Colby closet (which Lucas Carter refers to in TC2 without elaborating) is that Jason & Cecil never shared the same mother.

Recall: In TC Season 1, Jason says he was the first born son (hence why he received the family heirloom which he then passed to Jeff on the eve of his re-marriage to Fallon, and told Jeff to pass it on to LB); and in Season 2, a breakfast conversation between Sable and Jason suggests that Cecil was the first grandchild because they were discussing how special the first grandchild was and Sable recalled Jason telling her he'd been a little jealous of his revered granddad favouring Cecil.

With Lucas having planted the seed for juicy scandals, a story about this potential 'skeleton' -- how there came to be two first born sons of Andrew Colby & whether or not Cecil had ever had a share in Colby Enterprises -- was one of the ones I had been looking forward to on TC Season 3 before the show got canned.

Remember too, that one of the areas in how the family history differed between (what was said on) The Colbys and Dynasty is that on The Colbys, Cecil was never the disinherited son. Philip was. And, on The Colbys too, Philip was only MIA, presumed dead. No body was ever buried in his name. Dynasty never addressed that, never 'owned' to Philip being alive. But then why should it have? Different sequence of events; different timeline; different history. Different show.

I forgot to mention earlier ....the family home of the Colbys on The Colbys had always been in California and no where else since the time grandpa Colby (from northern California) bought the land for it (in that part of California which, in the '80s, was Bel Air, Los Angeles). And, on The Colbys, ColbyCo does not exist as any part of Andrew's estate. Cecil is the only sibling mentioned in connection with ColbyCo, and it has nothing to do with Colby Enterprises -- which belonged to Andrew before he passed it on. (Unlike on Dynasty, which establishes that Jason and Connie started Colby Enterprises.)

After watching The Colbys, I came to realise that there might have been more to what Esther Shapiro was meaning when she said at The Colbys Premiere party: "They (the 2 shows, Dynasty & The Colbys) are as different as any two families that even might be related."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    Fascinating! But then, I don't know THE COLBYS' family history too well.

Might Mama Colby have been airlifted home to LA to die? What did she die of -- was it ever stated?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Mama Colby? She might. No, cause of death not stated.

Jason mentioned her death in early S2 when telling Francesca why he'd told Sabella to leave the house. As heard here:

It's the only time Mama Colby is mentioned on The Colbys. (Btw, when I said Grandad/Grandpa Colby earlier, I meant Andrew's dad.)

The thing is, I can't see Jason as a killer or mastermind of a murder. Deliberately killing a person is simply not in his nature. He could thrash you within an inch of your life though. He confronts/does things openly and directly. He doesn't go behind your back. ....So I don't buy it, that Cecil (or anyone else) would suspect him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    I don't see Jason as a killer either.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    I guess it would be somewhat similar to the story of Mother Carrington - and, more importantly, who was responsible for her death.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I'd look closer to home. Are the deaths of Mama Colby and Choo Choo as useful for The Colbys series as its twinned stories of Mother Koralis-Powers & Sister Colby and her cowpoke? Are we being asked to think in terms of substituting the latter two for the first two?

In each of these 4 stories, what consequences for the living came from their deaths? Who were impacted and how? For the short term? Long term?

Mama Colby, the other-worldly Choo Choo, Cecil & Mrs Powers were already dead when we first met Jason and the gang on The Colbys. Choo Choo sounds like she might have been like a gust of fresh air on the series, but at the start of TC it was Jason's other sister-in-law, Frankie, who was alive, well and, well, available.

If we substituted stories, would we be getting rid of characters, or keeping them nevertheless? ...Without Zack Powers and the Philip who had once hero-worshipped Jason and tagged along with him as a child, would we have had the story of the shotgun (possibly two) found in two different cupboards in the same room? ....Without Spiro Koralis (Mrs Powers' son), would Mr Heston have been playing Mark Antony to Senor Montalbán's Cicero, with Jason wanting Monica to "nail Zack Powers' hide to the wall"?

Sidebar: According to Wiki, after Cicero was assassinated, Mark Antony had his hands cut off and his ears nailed to the Rostra of the Roman Senate. (For good measure, Mark Antony's wife pulled on Cicero's tongue and jabbed it with a pin -- this is where I have 'flashforwards' to Sable jabbing Dex's lido with a hatpin, lol.) According to the history books, Cicero branded Mark Antony an enemy of the state -- so I can see why TC, with its twinning theme, had the story of Lucas Carter accusing Jason of being pretty much the same. Mr Heston played Mark Antony on stage & in film. Sr Montalbán played Cicero in a made for TV film; not that Cicero, but the World War 2 spy who did things for the money, not the ideology.​

Potentially, a TC Season 3 or even S4 might have found Jeff still knocking on doors looking for Zack (as he'd promised); and one day opening a door to actually find him... dead on the floor, like he did Zack's old friend in Greece. While Miles might have been showing some signs of being a male version of Aunt Connie, seated in her chair in the boardroom of Colby Enterprises.

I really need to know more about the repercussions of Mama Colby's death to decide its worth as "the ideal macguffin for the series". Or, at least, more "ideal" than what the series already had.

P.S: With Snarky's Ghost in residence, is Unprincipaled dead and gone, or just possessed? Should I say :rip: or hasta la vista Unprincipaled?

Confession: Words/terms like "macguffin", "series canon" & "show bible" sail over my head.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    Oh! Whodunit, whodunit?

Was it Mrs. Cassidy? I want her to kill somebody!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Now why would Adrienne kill her very good friend?

Besides, you can't have her kill someone. I love her. And, I want her at loggerheads with Sable. Already angry with Sable, it amuses her to see Sable seething when she and Zack get involved after she leaves Cash. A Sable who might, or might not be pregnant with Zack's child, if this is Season 3; and I'm basing that angle on TCS2, not Dynasty S9.

I never said Zack was killed. But, say he was. I warn you, I have no imagination, so here goes:

• I'd have Jeff as "a person of interest" just cuz he was first on the scene. Sending Fallon wailing & hand-wringing. Police just as quickly line up a couple of other suspects. Adrienne could be one if Zack had been planning to leave her for....

• In my world, Moretti is DA, Spiro and Kolya are lurking somewhere, wreaking havoc in New York, causing the re-cast Garret to tear his hair out. Sean and Bliss are also around. Plus Channing. And the younger brother Channing never spoke off, though we know from Lucas that he exists. And some new supporting characters.

• I'd have Monica believe she's the killer but Jason is the one up on murder charges and it goes to trial. After all, he'd threatened to kill Zack before.

• Will this grown woman who still calls her father "Daddy" let him take the fall? And, what if, Daddy has information that it all points to his darling Baby Girl (as he once referred to Monica, not Bliss) but he insists on staying silent to the authorities and taking the fall.

• And then the twist, as Miles and Jeff uncover the truth.... (perhaps something to do with Miles' baby and Sable).

But Zack's death isn't the highlight of the show.

10. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Ooops! Meant to say "substituting the existing latter two with the first two?"

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    But what if it has something to do with the mysterious death of Zach's wife? How much does Zach really know about that?

Did Mrs Powers have a lover at that time?
    Was it....Adrienne's father?

Or Lucas Carter?
    [​IMG]

What happened?
    And what if Moretti finds out, but doesn't like the truth? How far will he go to punish our beloved Colby clan?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    Yes, but some of those things would have obviously been different if the death of Cecil's and Jason's and Philip's and Connie's mother had been a mystery from the very beginning -- in keeping with Blake's cryptic comment that never received any follow-up attention.

13. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I can see why some folk consider Peyton Place to be the Mother of All American Soaps.

14. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +402
    You mean, 4 show seasons down the pipeline, the debuting The Colbys should have picked up a defunct piece of Dynasty Colby narrative that was a part of Colby history Dynasty itself discarded in its 6th season – and have it go from something like this….

Bridget Jones’s Diary Deleted Scene – In the Very Very Beginning (2001) HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5GTVtYjjI8

to this….. Bridget Jones’s Diary Trailer (2001)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtB2FwwaMT0

and all the way through 3 movies to either this: Mark & Bridget | Echoes of Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF4TZBIPaDk

or that: Mark & Bridget | We are Infinite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqco7zgK5mk

….and The Colbys would have been much better for it?

IMO, the onus on follow-up attention fell on Dynasty in the years prior to Dynasty replacing its own Colby narrative, and in an inorganic way too. Though the The Colbys was starting from scratch so to speak (it had its backstories), the series wasn't created to be an hourly extension of Dynasty's narrative, was it? TC existed in its own world which didn't run exactly parallel to Dynasty's in the same time-frame. So it was proper that TC should have had its own Colby narrative. While the show didn't ignore Cecil's Logan Rhinewood past, I have a feeling that Cecil, the character, had they written him up more on The Colbys in a later season, would have been a softer man than Dynasty had painted him to be. Kinda like Zack-Zach.

15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    ....ummmmmmmmmmm........ Well, I think it would've been nice if the spin-off had been consistent with earlier details established about the Colby family during the parent series opening seasons, yes -- if in fact Blake's line about Cecil stabbing his mother in the back wasn't just something bitchy thing he threw out there for the hell of it.

But then the parent series couldn't keep its own back story straight.

I don't know about all your Bridget Jones stuff. But I'm glad you enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +244
    I always thought Blake's line wasn't intended literally - he was simply calling Cecil a backstabber.

I can't believe that Connie (Barbara Stanwyck was born in 1907) and Phillip (Michael Parks was born in 1940) had the same mother. I know characters aren't necessarily the same age as the actors who portray them but the age difference between these two is too noticeable to overlook. Either Andrew's first wife (did we ever learn her name - I think of her as Cecilia) died after bearing him three children and his second wife was Phillip's mother or Phillip is Connie's illegitimate son.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I always figured Connie was supposed to be in her 60s, and Phillip was in his late 40s to early 50s. A bit of a stretch, but not impossible. Although it might be easier to swallow the idea that Phillip is the much younger half-sibling - like how Krystina is to Fallon and the rest! And I don't think Phillip should be Connie's son, otherwise Sable wouldn't have any reason at all to demand her shares on behalf of Miles, which is what sparked their rivalry and that wonderful "trying to make Auntie Connie look senile" plot (I admit it, I loved that plot).

18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    Yes, but could it have meant more -- especially since a spinoff featuring Cecil's family was awaiting in the future.

These shows so often need a murder mystery (nowadays, from the first episode). Seems like an ideal line to be reinterpreted as something literal.

19. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +244
    If this is the case, Jeff would go to Los Angeles (after his marriage to Fallon has ended) intending to stake his claim as an heir to the Colby fortune. He encounters resistance from the rest of the family due to his close relationship with Cecil. Monica confides to Jeff that Cecil once did something "horrible" that caused him to become estranged from the rest of the family but she isn't sure what he supposedly did. Jeff eventually learns that Andrew's second wife (Phillip's mother), a young and beautiful woman (who may or may not have had an affair with Cecil) was stabbed to death. A servant was charged with the murder and he hanged himself in his jail cell before his case came to trial. Despite the arrest and subsequent suicide, the Colby family insists Cecil was the actual killer. Jeff sets out to learn the truth - putting himself in grave danger.

Is this too similar to the beginning of "Falcon Crest"?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,291
    No, it's fine.

• Like Like x 1