SoapLand - The Battle Of The Death Scenes: The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    Oh I see. Sorry. That's was the only episode of FC I watched cause it looked dramatic and I knew they left the series then so i presumed they died. Better that they had happy ending :) Simon had already been shot in death on the nile and eaten by a shark in jaws 3 so I'm glad the earthquake didn't get him ;) he could have got a complex for being killed off so much

• Like Like x 5
  2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,676
    1. Bobby Ewing (Dallas)
    2. Mitch Ackerman (Knots Landing)
    3. Maggie Gioberti (Falcon Crest)
    4. Sue Ellen Ewing (Dallas) (just before Pam wakes up)
    5. Jamie Ewing (Dallas) (as above)
    6. Claudia (Dynasty)
    7. Sid Fairgate (Knots Landing)
    8. Nicholas Pearce (Dallas)
    9. Julia Cumson (Falcon Crest)
    10. Mickey Trotter (Dallas)

April Stevens would have joined the list if it hadn't bothered me so much that they were shooting like crazy, and as she fell dead to the ground, it didn't look like she had any bullet hole in her, but next frame when she's on the ground, there is a little bit of blood on her dress. There were just not enough blood to make it look like she could have died so quickly.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +894
    1: Maggie in Falcon Crest - as I've said before, I haven't watched a great deal of FC, but this scene stuck with me when I saw it. It's such a brutal way for a major character to die onscreen. Was this the start of season 9? When they were changing the show's direction to a more crime based route?

2: Annabelle in Flamingo Road - this is another one that was pretty brutal for a soap. Those haunting screams as she burns to death!

3: April in Dallas - this is possibly second only to the Moldavian massacre for most gunfire in one scene in an 80's soap. I love it because it features one of my favourite Dallas things - that slow motion running / shouting thing they did so well (usually involving Bobby). They even featured it to even more melodramatic effect when Michelle took her vengeance on Hillary for April's death

4: Chip in Knots Landing - dying by falling on a pitchfork after being startled by the doppelganger of the woman you murdered is probably the most soap opera way ever to die.

5: Henri in Falcon Crest - you know when somebody arranges to meet someone on a bridge, it's never going to end well.

6: Joshua in Knots Landing - Joshua may have died but this was really Lilimae's scene. Also, I seem to have a penchant for people falling off things.

7: Cecil in Dynasty - for the campness of it all. First he was shagged into the emergency room. Then we're treated to his post wedding histrionics that finish him off for good, all while new wife Alexis watches on in her full virginal white wedding garb.

8: Nicholas Pearce in Dallas - like Cecil above, this is such utter camp. And like Joshua's death scene, Nicholas played second fiddle to a stronger female, with Sue Ellen stealing the scene with her "I'd like to report a double murder. This is Sue Ellen Ewing" freeze frame.

9: Dex in Dynasty - OK so his death was never really confirmed was it? Just that throwaway "he didn't fare too well" comment in the reunion. But this has two of my favourite soapy things - OTT camp and people falling off things.

10: Tom Carrington in Dynasty
    - we may have only had Tom onscreen for a single episode but his deathbed brought three of the stronger characters together, gave Dominique some resolution as to why she came to Denver and set up the courtroom battle in season six.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,038
    1) Maggie Hartford Donovan Gioberti Channing: A real nice woman. Maggie was what you see is what you got but the main FC woman Angela didn’t always portray this composition. After eight seasons and then early into the controversial final season the unthinkable happened. What a way to happen. FC’s N.o. 1 earthy mother was overcome with water, so tragic and not a sinner near her – FALCON CREST.
    2) Bobby Ewing: This really could have been the end of DALLAS, such was the effect. The family with the exception of Sue Ellen all gathered around his hospital bed, the instrumental music before the end credits / theme, JR’s comment of “Don’t leave me Bobby!” was powerful stuff. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house, among many of the viewers – DALLAS.
    3) Melissa Agretti Cumson Gioberti: The good looking neighbouring vintner to Falcon Crest finally had enough, in the autumn of 1988. Melissa could have it all but sadly FC became too much for her and the show lost an important character, which could have been prevented – FALCON CREST.
    4) Digger Barnes: After many years of tooth and nail with Jock the Barnes patriarch breathed his last, in the spring of 1980. The jungle juice was almost empty but there was just enough in the tank for confessions – DALLAS.
    5) Cecil Colby: When Alexis Morell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan arrived in the Colorado show things would never be the same again. The person who would rise to be DYNASTY’s star character soon sided with Blake’s infamous rival Cecil Colby, leading to IMHO the show’s most memorable death – DYNASTY.

Carrie, Maggie's tragic accident did happen in the beginning of season 9.

Digger (as played by Keenan Wynn) is dying. Pamela, Bobby and Cliff are there, in the hospital. Digger asks for Ellie’s presence. Ellie appears with his sister Maggie. Eventually we see a flashback scene, which culminates in Digger shooting Hutch McKinney dead, with a pistol, as Rebecca looks on, (a scene from season 2, DVD-3, 1979 – ’80):

Ellie: “Digger!”

Digger (speech impaired): “I couldn’t let Jock take the blame for what happened to Hutch. Ellie you have everything cared for.”

Pamela: “Daddy what about the baby?”

Digger: “Pammy!”

Bobby: “The baby McKinney fathered?”

Digger: “I always loved you Pam…!”

Pamela sobs: “Me!”

Digger: “Just like you were my own.”

Digger breathes his last and the hospital equipment is turned off. They all shed a tear.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    I think he died, yes, and based on a similar vague comment I think that Lindsay hasn't died.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Looking back, the Dynasty writers were quite fond of vague comments when it came to writing out characters.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Maybe they thought we were smart enough to figure it out ourselves.
    And they were right. We're smart enough:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +409
    1. Joshua Rush - Knots Landing
    2. Sid Fairgate - Knots Landing
    3. Chip Roberts - Knots Landing
    4. Linda Fairgate - Knots Landing
    5. Bobby Ewing - Dallas
    6. Maggie Gioberti - Falcon Crest
    7. Mitch Ackerman - Knots Landing
    8. Cecil Colby - Dynasty
    9. Digger Barnes - Dallas
    10. Katherine Wentworth - Dallas

• Like Like x 8
  9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,337
    1. JR (New DALLAS) -- we didn't see it, but it still happened onscreen, sort of, over the phone to John Ross. Jesus. In Soap Land terms, this one's still kinda too fresh to really process.

2. Sid (KNOTS) -- saddest, most shocking Soap Land death of the 20th century.

3. Joshua (KNOTS) -- maybe the maddest, most emotional of all the deaths. (Just as Joshua was maybe the maddest, most emotional of all the characters)

4. Maggie (FALCON CREST) -- a brilliant, random, subversive "f**k you" to everything that had gone before.

5. Chip Roberts (KNOTS) -- OK, maybe this was the maddest death. EastEnders even did its own accidentally-impaled-on-a-rake homage to it:

6. Digger Barnes (DALLAS) -- Saga-wise, the best of all the death scenes

7. Ted Dinard (DYNASTY) -- Plot-wise, the best of all death scenes

8. Julie Grey (DALLAS) -- Soap Land's prototype sort-of-a-murder-but-not-quite-a-murder death scene.

9. Drew Ramos (New DALLAS) -- poor Drew!

10. Phil Harbert (KNOTS)/Emily Fallmont (DYNASTY) -- different characters, different shows, same season, same death.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    And they both had some interesting confessions. One was true, the other one was false - and yet the result was the same (cleared of a crime).
    And that's why I'll give them 1 point each, instead of 0.5 point.
    Looks great!

• Like Like x 4
  11. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Of course the #1 has to be...

Emily Fallmont tragically dies after running into a car

This is the most tragic death of all - Emily Fallmont, part of the beloved Fallmont clan on Dynasty, dies after running into a barely moving car. It's a really thought provoking death about the tragedy of running into inanimate objects. Never before or after has any soap opera dealt with this important issue and in all honesty, the public needs to know that yes - you can run into a car or even a wall and just spontanously just die! It's up the with self-combustion as an important issue we need to discuss and take seriously.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,678
    1. Chip (KNOTS)
    2. Maggie (FALCON)
    3. Ackerman (KNOTS)
    4. April (DALLAS)
    5. Drew (DALLAS)
    6. Claudia (DYNASTY)
    7. Mickey Trotter (DALLAS)
    8. JR (DALLAS)
    9. Melissa (FALCON)
    10. Linda (KNOTS)

• Like Like x 6
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    The taxi was leaving the Carlton property and therefore not driving at high speed, but I wouldn't say it was barely moving.
    Also, two moving objects increase the impact of the crash, and Emily was being chased by Blake. You wouldn't believe how much damage a car can do (or Blake, for that matter).
    In this sequence it's clear that the car is moving, hits Emily and then immediately stops. Apparently the chauffeur had amazing reflexes otherwise he'd ran over her.
    But that doesn't change the fact that the car really hit her.
    upload_2017-7-30_20-55-32.png
    However, there was some clumsy editing going on because a second before that they also showed that the car stopped, making it look as if it stopped twice.
    upload_2017-7-30_20-58-6.png
    But that doesn't match with what happened in the sequence as described above.

• Like Like x 4
  14. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Phew! Thanks for explaining that - as someone who is accident prone and tend to walk into objects constantly (seriously, I was having a nice jog the other day and ran into a light pole - WHERE WERE THE WARNING SIGNS?) I live in constant fear of running into things and just die on the spot.

15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Well..you did ask.
    Was the light pole moving too? Apples and oranges, tommie.

16. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    I... I am a terrified person in general. In fact - I might spontanously have heart attack

Speaking of which - wouldn't spontaneous combustion be a great soap death and traumatise kids for generations?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +386
    1. Maggie Gioberti - Falcon Crest
    2. JR Ewing - Dallas TNT
    3. Bobby Ewing - Dallas
    4. Melissa Agretti - Falcon Crest
    5. Sid Fairgate - Knots Landing
    6. Cecil Colby - Dynasty
    7. Joshua Rush - Knots Landing
    8. Digger Barnes - Dallas
    9. Emily Fallmont - Dynasty
    10. Jason Gioberti - Falcon Crest

• Like Like x 5
  18. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    If I'm being serious - yes: Maggie's death on Falcon Crest has to be number one for various reasons. Partly because she's the L'Oreal Haired Heroine, but also because it's generally so bisarre. Who even thought of "getting her ring stuck in a swimming pool and drowning" was even an idea? Normally you'd have such tragedy surrounding a major character's death like that? Like family and friends gathering and then boom - she dies and it's a season finale cliffhanger. Not on Falcon Crest. It's such an evil and sinister death. It happens deal with it! Which is how it edges out...

#2 Sid Fairgate's death (KNOTS) I still haven't watched all of Knots and only seen it in parts (though I did order a bootleg yesterday of it, so stay tuned), but this sticks out for me because it's very much not in the nature of soaps to kill off prominent leading men so early on in their run. It even looked like he was going to live and then the show pulled the rug from under us. Desperate Housewives did the same thing with the shocking death of Rex Van De Camp 20+ years later - setting it up looking like it was going to be ok then killing us slightly by having them die.

I might continue this once I can think about it a bit more.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    I could imagine a scene like that being the "intro-death" to a Six Feet Under episode (come to think of it, she was six feet under water).
    There's still time to add your favourites. Other members lists might trigger some memories, and I don't think all death scenes have been mentioned yet.
    upload_2017-8-1_1-28-8.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +415
    1 - Maggie from Falcon Crest
    2 - Melissa from Falcon Crest
    3 - Bobby from Dallas
    4 - JR from Dallas
    5 - Digger from Dallas