The deleted scenes

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Karin Schill, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,584
    Medals:
    Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking some about the deleted scenes from this show and how it's possible that some fan favorites didn't make it to the final cut or even to the deleted scenes on the DVD. I mean who decided which scenes went on the DVD's and why are they not giving us the scenes that we want to see?

I know at least two scenes that I would love to see that were not on the DVDs. The first one is obviously the JR/SE dance scene from the barbeque. Then the second one is a Gary and Val scene that was cut out from after the scene where Lucy opened the door for them. :(

So well those are my two most wanted scenes from Dallas TNT that I haven't gotten to see. Which ones are yours?

Also if you were in charge of Dallas TNT, which scenes would you have delete instead of the scenes you wanted to see?

If it were up to me I would have kept these scenes obviously and also some of the heart to heart conversations between Sue Ellen-John Ross and stuff that would have built character depth and taken away some of the pointless crime drama stuff instead. Like the collages where you saw shooting bullets to match with JR's bullet and had music playing in the background. Those scenes didn't feel like Dallas to me, whereas the scenes building on the characters and their relationships did feel like Dallas.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,488
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I agree with you, Karin. Though I don´t actually know which scenes they did include in the dvds. Was Sue Ellen and Emma´s talk about Kristin in it? That was awesome. And also anything related to the original characters, mainly J.R. and Gary. Re the music, I think in some cases it was much better in the TNT show, because the John Parker score was unbearable especially in the BD Calhoun storyline. And I love songs in the soundtrack too. OR "Dallas" only used that song by Charlene´s ex-husband that was heard in the end credits of the movie "Urban Cowboy" (I didn´t get the nod until recently...if there ever was one, of course, since it was used in scenes with Bobby and Ray).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    They could have left out anything which rewrote history as we knew it - just a stupid idea that the “Bobby in the shower scene” should have proved to them was STUPID. Anything which felt forced, like birthing cows, carvings in the tree, Val yelling at Sue Ellen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    But I don't think Lorimar DALLAS execs ever acknowledged it was stupid. And the actors, mainly Hagman and Duffy, kept defending it every time it came up. So in that sense maybe Cidre thought "those fans will accept anything, look at the precedent!" :D

5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    Except they didn’t except anything, eventually ratings decline and a giant show began a long, slow death with a couple of last grasps of breath (reunion movies). CC wasn’t starting off as a giant show, that show was dead. She was starting off with Dallas Junior, which she couldn’t build up into a giant show, so death for her was much quicker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    I'd forgotten about that one. I'm thankful though the producers felt the need (more like being belted over the head with a pitchfork) to remind me Southfork was more than just the Ewing family squabbling.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +458
    Any Linda scene that was cut out was an absolute TRAGEDY in my opinion. After Larry died, she could have - and should have - been the heart of the show. Her relationship with John Ross and her indecisiveness as to whether she should aid John Ross' rise to power really interested me, in spite of the fact that so much of her history as a mother was rewritten to have her appear as the worst mother in the world.:mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    A valid point Justine. Most agree Miss Ellie in Lorimar Dallas was the heart and soul of that series so your thoughts on Sue Ellen taking on that role interests me. In TNT Dallas there was a window of opportunity when Bobby and Ann had Sue Ellen come to Southfork after John Ross had her committed. I think I have that right. Slowly but surely Sue Ellen comes to the realisation Southfork is her true home, despite the history she has with the place.

This also had me intrigued. With John Ross determined to make his way in the world Sue Ellen residing at Southfork would have kept him on the straight and narrow. This also keeps the story tightly woven around the Ewing family. It's what made the original series so successful. Southfork and Ewing Oil.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    They had like a Hamlet story going and they didn’t know what to do with it. One minute she sided with the Unlce (albeit a bad guy version of the original Bobby) and the next minute she sided with John Ross (more a constant victim of everyone than anything, in my opinion). It had real possibilities, especially if she worked with Bum and they returned 1/2 of Ewing Oil to her as in the movies. Could have been....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    I was beginning to enjoy the constant conflict within John Ross. One minute he wished to play dirty but when beaten he would kind of beat himself up. The infamous kitchen scene with John Ross proclaiming, "I am not my father!" An excellent example of the conflict John Ross was feeling about JR, Sue Ellen, his heritage.

• Like Like x 2
  11. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    I agree - and I was too. But I didn’t enjoy the self righteous Bobby and Christoper and Elena that went along with it. They either needed to grow too or get slapped around.

12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,802
    I wouldn't have minded the self-righteous Bobby if only TNT Dallas explored character led stories rather than plot driven. For example if Bobby had taken John Ross out horse back riding and showcasing Southfork and explaining the legacy so dear to Miss Ellie's heart. However John Ross should have known this when you consider his age when TNT Dallas began. He wasn't some teenager still learning life's lessons.

13. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    Good point.

What bothered me was his relationship high mindedness. He had a problem with Ann lying but he lied to Ann. He had no problem with his son jumping into a relationship with his nephews x and no problem pimping his nephew to beat Cliff. It never added up unless he was just a selfish ass.

14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,985
    Medals:
    Amen. Whoever made the choice to cut JR and Sue Ellen's last dance:

upload_2019-4-15_16-41-49.jpeg

And I'm from Northern Ireland and have the accent. Not messin' about here.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1