Doctor Who The Doctor returns on New Year's Day

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Seaviewer, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Medals:
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Medals:
    Has everybody seem the premiere? What a reveal!

Analysis here:

Register or to view Spoiler content!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,268

Not yet, it's on my planner waiting for me.

Now, I'm really intrigued...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    I know it sounds like a back-handed compliment, but while this was better than anything in the previous season, it still isn't up there with the heights of certain other seasons/eras. While I am relieved that they corrected course on some of the issues with last season, I can't be entirely hopeful about the series as a whole because they had an entire year (or more) to work on this script. Will they continue to be as good as this first part of a two-part episode? I sure do hope so, because I don't want to give up on the show after this long as a fan. But there's not even a guarantee that the second half of this story will work out well, since I've seen good "first parts" end with a whimper.

I still don't 'feel' JW as The Doctor. It's more like this is a spin-off with a Doctor-esque character. I don't feel the "so much going on under the surface" vibe that we got from all the new-era Docs. Though the event in the last minute of this episode will force some of that stuff back to the surface this weekend, I hope she will not continue this happy-smiley/isn't this fun? kind of outlook and the feeling that she doesn't know what to do next. And this threesome of companions has yet to differentiate themselves in my mind. One (or two) of them could disappear without an explanation and it would not affect me at all. At least this two-parter gave them the "room" to give the three of them each something to do...but when it's back to hour-long episodes, I fear they will be back to tripping over one another again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,670
    Medals:
    Yeah, I totally loved it but when Something Really Bad happened at one point, I was secretly hoping it meant one of the companions was now dead.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,268

I'm struggling with this too. I was really geared up for the first part and excited for a new season, then it came flooding back to me how much I struggled with Jodie as the Doctor.

This is it all in a nutshell, that and also how she is still getting confused over her sex. I also think there are too many companions. Back when we had Rose, Martha and Donna, there was this kinda sense of danger and how horrible it would be if we lost anyone of them to a monster or glitch in the story and now that we have three companions, I honestly don't care enough about any of them.

BUT - other than that I did enjoy this and loved the twist with the Master - even though I would have loved a lot more Missy before another regeneration. The best way to keep me and the Master happy is to have the same actor feature in at least 4 other stories before regenerating again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
    Medals:
    Hollyoaks already bumped off two of them. One of them (Mandip Gill’s character) got shot and in hospital was given a lethal dose of potassium chloride by the Gloved Hand Killer (who was herself later bumped off by Jeff Rawle’s serial killer, Silas Blissett, after he deemed her a slut and told her that her children would be better off without her). The other, Tosin Cole’s character, was one of four characters killed when the stolen minibus he was on crashed into a wedding and he was cruelly left onboard to die by the bus driver, Maddie, who abandoned him before the bus exploded. Hilariously, Maddie herself expired moments later when the flaming minibus door landed on her.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 7)