Doctor Who The Doctor to get first openly gay companion

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Mel O'Drama, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,427
    "It's about time isn't it.."

The new series of Doctor Who will see the Time Lord joined by his first openly gay companion.

Bill Potts's sexuality will be revealed pretty much straightaway in her second line of dialogue when the show returns to BBC One on 15 April.

"It shouldn't be a big deal in the 21st Century. It's about time isn't it?" Pearl Mackie, who plays Bill, told the BBC.

"That representation is important, especially on a mainstream show."

She added: "It's important to say people are gay, people are black - there are also aliens in the world as well so watch out for them.

"I remember watching TV as a young mixed race girl not seeing many people who looked like me, so I think being able to visually recognise yourself on screen is important."

"[Being gay] is not the main thing that defines her character - it's something that's part of her and something that she's very happy and very comfortable with."

Gay and bisexual characters have featured in Doctor Who before, such as Captain Jack and River Song, but this is the first time the Doctor's companion has been openly gay.

Mackie - who is taking over from Jenna Coleman as the new companion - said it had been "kind of insane" to be the centre of attention since she was announced in the role last April, despite not being seen on screen until this Easter.

"My Twitter follower count went from 400-and-something to 16,500 in about two hours, so that was pretty mental," she said.

"But it's been really nice, everyone seems to be really excited. It's sort of like being welcomed into a family and all the fans have been really welcoming."

The actress, who was performing in the West End production of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time at the time she was cast, said the role of Bill was "the biggest job I've ever done".

"Looking at previous alumni, it's only done wonderful things for their careers - Matt Smith is phenomenal in The Crown, Jenna Coleman has just gone on to do Victoria and Billie Piper is doing incredible things," she said.

"For me if I even get to do [a small amount] of those kind of things it would be incredible. It's an amazing platform for me and it opens a lot of doors that wouldn't necessarily have been open before - it's very exciting."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39444025

• Like Like x 3
  2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    honestly i don't think they needed to do this, not that i have issues with it i don't. but i wonder how many people will have issues with it? but Captain Jack was i think more gay than Bi. i dunno i could be wrong it's been awhile since i last watched the show back when he was on it.

3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,529
    I like it when series don't make a big deal out of a character being gay or bi. Like a little side note; "no thanks, I'm gay" for instance when someone tries to hit on him/her. Just like that, no more, no less. No big deal, just like saying "I'm actually a brunette".

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    but it does feel like they have a lot of gay characters in shows and some of them i think do it cause they want to make it a big deal out of it. i have nothing against anyone who is gay in fact i've have friends who are gay. like True Blood did it really well and so did Buffy, but the only thing that really gets me is when they make certain characters gay who they had straight to for the longest time. i realize there are people out there who do come out of the closet at some point in real life and for those who can accept that about themselves i do commend them for that. but take Buffy where you have Willow who was in love with Xander for years than the brought Seth Green in the show and they had her fall for him and still have a thing for Xander and than out of the blue cause Seth Green left the show out of a broken heart they made her slowly gay.

kinda like on True Blood i forget her name cause i haven't watched the show in awhile.out of nowhere, in some shows if they write a character who is confused with their sexuality weather they are straight, gay or Bi that doesn't bother me because than if the character in say season 5 finally realizes which sex they are attracted to that makes sense.

because it fits the character to a T. but if it comes out of nowhere where it's done badly and they just want to make history on a tv show that's what drives me nuts. like Pam on True Blood being attracted to both sex's and them adding that into the show later on really did feel a bit out of nowhere but at the same time it did feel like her character as well because she was a very sexual being who also had worked in a whore house when she was human and no doubt she had gotten paid to be with women as well. so it fit her character. it may sound like i'm mad they are doing this on Doctor who i'm not but it just feels like they are trying to make history. how about keeping quiet about it and than surprising people after the season starts? and than say this is why we did that if asked.

tv shows these days seems to have it feels like at times to always have a gay character and someone who is a vet too. the show Brothers and sisters come to mind and i love that show. but at least they had Uncle Sal who though it did feel at first and for awhile that it came out of nowhere but at some point you at least got the feeling that he was confused about who he was for years. and that was done well i think.

5. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Excatly.
    I'm not a fan of the whole "THIS CHARACTER IS A HOMOSEXUAL" thing. It should be "whatever", but maybe we've not reached that point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    that's cause they want to make history instead of thinking that way. he's on his way out so he decided to do this why not ya know? that's how he prolly thought anyways.