1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

SoapLand - The Battle Of The Dreams and Flashbacks - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Richard Channing, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Do not adjust your set, things are about to go a bit wavy and blurry for a moment, as we delve into the subconscious minds of our Soapland residents. We're gonna take a look at the dream sequences that gave us a sneak peek at character's hopes and fears, and flashbacks that informed us about important events in the past that have, or are about to have, some bearing on the present.

tedflashback.jpg

Btw, Dallas' dream season is not eligible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,094
    Medals:
    1. Angela's flashback while reading Peter's letter. It showed when her first baby was born (who turned out to be Richard) and she was told he had died. The use of footage from Jane Wyman's film The Blue Veil for the flashback made it all the more fascinating. FALCON CREST

[​IMG]

2. Julia's nightmare in prison in which every character is played by her mother including a cleaner and a prison guard. It was eerie, funny and disorientating at the same time. FALCON CREST

[​IMG]

3. The opening scene from Dallas: War of The Ewings. It begins with Bobby turning around in the shower and you think it's a recreation of Pam's dream but it's Sue Ellen who enters and they start kissing under the water of the shower. It all turns out to be JR's dream. DALLAS

[​IMG]

4. Anne dreams of dancing with Mack and the dream changes from them dancing as they would be in the present day to them dancing when they were young. KNOTS LANDING

[​IMG]

5. Fallon has a flashback to when she was a child and she remembers she shot Roger Grimes to protect Alexis. DYNASTY

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    That's just so wrong on so many levels.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    Does anyone know the episode with Valene's dream about being on the beach with Gary and then Abby comes along and tells her "he's mine now" or something like that?
    It was so simple, without any additional features to make it extra bizarre or dreamy, and yet there was something unsettling about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Medals:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    I'm trying to think of interesting flashbacks, but these are only interesting when they show something new or in a different context i.e. explaining something that wasn't really the issue when that episode aired for the first time.
    And the episodes with young Mack, Greg and Anne (played by Nicolette) - were these traditional flashbacks coming from the characters or simply story telling to inform the viewers?

8. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Medals:
    They weren't traditional because that they were telling an on-going story that ran parallel to the present day narrative. And the point of view kept shifting -- sometimes it was Mack remembering, sometimes Paige (not as Young Anne) telling the story, sometimes they just seemed to happen independently. They broke all known flashback rules!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    Medals:
    1 - Angela's flashback while reading Peter's letter - Falcon Crest: this stands out for being inventive enough to incorporate past footage of an actor. I don't know if any other 80's soap did this before or after? If only Dynasty had seen fit to incorporate scenes from The Stud and The Bitch as part of Alexis's backstory.

2 - Fallon's flashback to the UFO - Dynasty: in spite of it being ridiculed as one of the more preposterous cliffhangers in soap history, producers obviously wanted to get their money's worth out of what was probably a very expensive scene. So after The Colbys ended, the UFO made a number of appearances over on Dynasty the following season. This scene sticks out as we get to see some of what went on when Fallon was whisked away.

3 - Sable's Nightmare - The Colbys: Sable returns to the mansion to discover Frankie has taken over and Enid has turned into a Stasi officer.

[​IMG]

4 - Dex's Malaria Fever Dream - Dynasty: stricken with malaria in South America, Dex is haunted by the visions of Alexis and Amanda vying for his attentions. Joan looks like a viper ready to pounce as she purrs "I'm watching you" while Amanda lounges draped in fur in front of a fire.

[​IMG]

5 - Fallon shags a corpse - Dynasty: after returning from the dead with amnesia, only to be abducted by aliens and then have nobody believe her, it's no wonder that Fallon's head was wrecked enough to induce erotic dreams about her mother's ex lover.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Are eligible flashbacks within the Dallas Dream Season...? Or dreams within the Dream Season...?

:spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Oh yes, of course, just not the whole season.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    1. Val flashes back to Lucy's kidnapping, Knots Landing. As if we needed another reason for Val to resent her absentee mother, we saw Val recalling a pivotal moment in her evasion of JR's "good ol' boys" with baby Lucy. Val showed up at her mother's, hoping for a place to hide out. Lilimae turned Val away because Lilimae had a 'gentleman caller' and did not want the man to know she was old enough to have a grandchild. Thus the goons caught up with Val and took Lucy away forever. This served a double purpose: it helped explain the rift between Lilimae and Val, and to a lesser extent explained the distance between Lucy and Valene, since it reinforced the idea that Southfork was the only home Lucy had ever known. This main plot of the episode also propelled flashbacks for the other three cul-de-sac wives, helping the viewer get to know them better.

2. Ben dreams of Val's violent murder, Knots Landing. What starts out as 'sexytimes' for Ben and Val ends with evil Jean Hackney appearing in their bedroom brandishing a gun. She blows Val away and Ben screams--only to wake up from a pretty graphic nightmare. Since Jean was still on the loose and Ben was frantic (to put it mildly) the dream was kind of believable for a few seconds--until of course you realize they'd never kill off Joan Van Ark. Oh, wait....

3. Anne's dream of dancing into the White Light, KL. She'd staged a suicide attempt "to bring Mack to his senses" as she later admitted. So while she laid on the floor, she had a dream/hallucination that mirrored the idea that she was indeed dying, making the viewer unsure if she did this on purpose or not. Dying or not, Michelle Phillips looked great.

4. Claudia's disturbing dreams/flashbacks about the death of her mother, KL. The writers wanted to make the whole thing rather mysterious, so her remembrances were very stylized and abstract. We saw a (doctored) framed photo of Ruth with Kate on a bedside table, a spilled bottle of liquid medicine that resembled blood, and faint calls of Claudia's name as if someone (Ruth) was in great pain and needed help. We later learned that Claudia had been taking care of Ruth when Ruth died, and depending on your POV, either allowed Ruth to die or helped her commit suicide.

5. Paige's dream about her future, KL. In a bar, Paige meets a well-dressed, older, cynical woman who tells her how life basically chewed her up and spat her out, and how she wishes she had made different choices when she was young. When Paige asks for the woman's name, she says "Paige Sumner", which jolts Paige back to reality.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    Well, we all know what that future is:lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Medals:
    It's entirely possible Lilimae was pregnant with Joshua at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    My dreams and flashbacks Top 5:

1- Bobby and Pam´s first wedding flashback, Dallas Season 9 ("Bells Are Ringing")

upload_2019-3-14_19-40-16.png

Pam: I´m looking younger than 9 years ago, aren´t I?
    Bobby: Sure. And I´m many bucks wealthier!​

2- Digger´s flashback about him murdering Hutch and Pam not being his daughter, Dallas Season 2 ("Jock's Trial" (II))

upload_2019-3-14_19-24-48.jpeg

"Those were the days when your Mama looked like
    Victoria Principal and her eye color were brown..."
    3- Angela´s flashback during the reading of Peter´s letter about Richard, Falcon Crest Season 6 ("Desperation")
    upload_2019-3-14_19-28-2.jpeg

"Don´t worry Julia darling! I´m sure you´ll be the nicest girl
    in the Valley...either that or you´ll become a nun!"​

4- Kit Marlowe´s glamorous flashback in the trial of Tony Cumson, Falcon Crest Season 6 ("Chain Reaction")

[​IMG]

How many movies did the Kim Novak plot homage?
    (Pic credit: www.falconcrest.org)​

5- Mack´s flashbacks with Anne, Greg and himself played by Nicollette, Devane´s son and Matt Fielding! Knots Landing Season 8 ("The Longest Night")

upload_2019-3-14_19-35-16.jpeg

Mack entered Alexis (too!!!)
    (Dishonorable) finalists (all of them for big lol!!!): Sue Ellen and John Ross being chased by J.R.´s car (empty!) in a nightmare in the Dream Season; the Roger Grimes conclusion / Marnie rip-off in Season 9 of "Dynasty"; Jeff Wainwright flipping out about Vickie being Mum Gioberti in Season 6 of "FC"; Krystle and Mark´s flashback in Season 3 of "Dynasty"; the "Steven Is Gay!" scene flashback, Coleman-style, from Season 3 of "Dynasty"; and last but not least (terrible), the UFO flashbacks of Fallon in Season 8 of "Dynasty". Sometimes the kept their crappiest ideas for the dreams and flashbacks, I must say!

[​IMG]

"Earth Women Have Big Tits..."​

On the other side, I do love those flashbacks and dreams that are not shown but told, like Bobby and Pam reminiscing about their arrival at SF in "the coldest winter of Texas" on "Dallas"; Gary´s story about little bro Bobby in "Knots" when he "died"; Angela´s unfrequent tales about their daughters´ younger years on "FC"; Rebecca´s monologue to Pam at Thanksgiving Square about her "other" life on "Dallas"; Fallon and Steven´s childhood remembrances in the first two seasons of "Dynasty", etc.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,620
    Medals:
    1. Val dances with Gary when she is Verna. (Knots Landing)
    uvs181114-011.jpg
    I am not sure if this is a daydream or a flashback. But it's such a sweet scene that showed that her subconscious mind knew that she loved Gary even when she was Verna.

2. Bobby and Pam's first wedding (Dallas)

The first time I saw it I wondered if it was actually filmed back in the late 1970s. :lol: Now I think it's obvious that it was filmed several years later.

3. Alexis dreams that she kisses Blake and then wakes up and realize that it has always been Blake that she loved (Dynasty)
    I always wanted them together.

4. Angela's flashback while reading Peter's letter. (Falcon Crest)
    I actually don't remember this flashback but it was clever of them to use old footage of Jane Wyman for it. I did love the plot twist when they made Richard her son.

5. JR's nightmare what life would have been like if he'd never been born aka Coundrum episode (Dallas)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,858
    Medals:
    Excellent choice!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    I'm trying to remember the details of when Fallon either had a flashback or a hallucination(?) that Adam tried to rape her on her wedding night. Is that what happened? Was it a real memory? Was that on The Colbys?

19. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,147
    Medals:
    As far as I remember it's on The Colbys when she's seeing that doctor who hypnotises her or something. She has a flashback and they redo Pamela Sue Martin's getting ready for the wedding scene with the hairdressers and makeup girl and such.

It always bothered me that Fallon's wedding to Jeff at the mansion that time was taking place at night? Makes absolutely no sense, but she does flee the mansion at night and the car accident is in the dark.

When do we have to do these by? I've missed the last few rounds.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Medals:
    Ok, so was it accepted as canon then that Adam actually did try it on with her that night?

A while yet, another week or so.

• Thanks Thanks x 1