The extreme weather

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Emelee, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    Many countries have seen extreme weather this year. Sweden is definitely one of them! If I didn't believe in climate change before, it's impossible not to now. It's all kinds of extremes and records.

January-March:
    We had an enormous amount of snow the 3 first months of the year. I've never seen so much. Roofs caved in all over northern Sweden and big piles of snow made us drive slowly in traffic.

April-May:
    As the massive amount of snow melted, and record high temperatures in May, many rivers flooded. A few big floods. The temperatures made it feel like July. On other places, the groundwater levels were record low.

June-July:
    June was ok, but July has been so frickin' hot! Heatwave with 30 degrees Celcius (or more) every day. No rain yet in July over here. The lack of rain & the heatwave has caused many forest fires. We've never seen the likes of it before. Currently there are over 80 active fires in Sweden. We've been forced to get help from other countries to fight them. 4 of them are right now not able to be put out by planes & helicopters. They need massive rain.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/world/europe/heat-wave-sweden-fires.html

I can't take this heat so much longer!!! Up in northern Sweden, the sun doesn't really set in June or July. No darkness, which usually is terrific. But with weeks of 30+ degrees, it's taking its toll. I can't even sleep in my bedroom. I have a matress in the living room and 3 electrical fans on full effect, but I am still warm.

But it's my dog I feel bad for, with all his fur. I have to shower him 2-3 times a day and force him to drink more water than he wants to drink.

One thing that's actually funny is how stupid I've gotten. Yesterday, at the supermarket, I was going to weight my fruit and I stood in front of the scale and suddenly didn't know what to do! :lol: "What is this? What button? What fruit is this?" :lol: I am also noticing how dumb I am with my crossword puzzles. They are suddenly really difficult. And I can't focus on reading a book either. Heat is making me dumb as a doorknob!

:loon::confuse::eyes:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Heatwave in northern Sweden! The world's gone crazy, if it's not one thing it's another.
    May was extremely wet with big thunderstorms and now we're going through a long period of drought and if it continues then the situation will become alarming.
    Roll on October!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,112
    We had sun for a month and a half, really nice
    back to normal now
    Cloudy or rainy for summer

Just give me 3 months of blue sky and heat and I will be very happy
    I dream of my little villa on the Med in my old age!!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    According to weather forecasts, next week may be even hotter with up to 35 degrees - and no rain.

The news are constantly reporting about the fires which has sparked some IDIOTS to start forest fires deliberately. :mad::mad:

5. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    Only 68 active wildfires right now.

[​IMG]

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    It is raining over here right now!!!!!!! Not much, but still.:spinning::spinning:

Unfortunately, it's also thunder.

The news update is that thunder has started new fires around the country. :fp:

7. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    This is the hottest summer since the weather institute in Sweden began measuring the temperature officially all over the country back in year 1756.

Thank you to fellow EU countries plus Norway for sending planes, helicopters & firefighters to help us with the wildfires!!!!

:ch::ty:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    Around 70 dead (so far) in the fires in Greece.

9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,289
    It hit 106 F in Japan yesterday, and 119 in Palm Springs.

11. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    ...and 125 F° in Algeria.

I would die!

12. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
  13. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    I read an article about the Greek fires that said that 26 people were found burned to death, holding each other. They couldn't escape the fire, got trapped and held each other as the fire killed them.

How incredibly awful!!!!!!!!

14. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +998
    I got caught by the thunderstorm on May 27th, soaked less than ten minutes walk from home, despite being in waterproofs. I’ve been ill since then. I’ve been suffering lots of migraine attacks, more frequently than ever before, which my doctor told me this morning is due to the higher temperatures. Before this, I hadn’t had any migraine attacks since two in June 2017. As it has finally been considerably cooler and raining today, I feel better today than I’ve been for two months and I left the county for the first time since May 27th, to walk six miles to the butcher for cakes, sweets and a hot drink, (and lots of other things), which I consume while pedalling on an exercise bike.

One of my DVD players got stuck, due to the excess heat and the tray wouldn’t open.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  15. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,642
    I think this weather just illustrates how important is international action to tackle climate change and why Trump's withdrawal from the Paris Agreement was such a selfish and short-sighted piece of lunacy.

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Finally! Fresh cool air in my house. I'm no longer feeling murderous and that's also a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    I'm sorry but this made me laugh. Try 30 - 45+ days during an Aussie summer. And that could last 6 months! Thankfully I don't have to travel far to dip my big toe into something like this....
    merewether_landing_2.jpg
    Merewether Ocean Baths, New South Wales, Australia​

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Yeah, but isn't that a different kind of heat?
    North/West Europe is a different climate and it really shouldn't be 30+ degrees. Never!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Emelee

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    As @Willie Oleson said above, different climate cause temperatures to feel differently. Even within a country. 0 degrees Celcius where I live feels good, a perfect winter day. Same temperature down in Stockholm feels incredibly f-ing cold. And we're only talking 1 hour by plane in between the cities.

20. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,144
    I hope that these extremely hot temperatures will not last too long, Wednesday I have already come home sick from the heat, I only have to work 4 more days and then I'll have 3 weeks of vacation, but I hope it will be cooler by that time here in the Netherlands and in the rest of Europe. :(

I hope that Sweden and Greece have their forest fires quickly under control again

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1