The Flintstones & Other Hanna-Barbera Shows

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by ClassyCo, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Recently, I saw the complete series of The Flintstones for sale at my local Walmart. I batted around the idea of purchasing it, but eventually left the store without it. A few days later, I went back and the only set they had left (the one I looked at) was gone. I was a little sad, but no harm was done.

In saying that, seeing the DVD box set --- which looked rather nice --- rekindled my interest in the modern stone age Flintstone family. Several years back, I purchased the complete first season, and I recollect enjoying those episodes when I watched them. It's been some time since I have watched those, but seeing the box set that Walmart had/has certainly has made me want to dust off my old DVDs and perhaps even buy some more of them.

The Flintstones was the first long-running and successful animated situation comedy. Initially aimed at adult audiences, it was pitched as a prehistoric re-imagining of The Honeymooners, which starred Jackie Gleason. Over time, however, the series became more youth-orientated, especially following the additions of the Flintstones' daughter, Pebbles, and the Rubbles' adopted son, Bamm-Bamm.

What's your thoughts on this beloved animated classic? Any opinions on any other Hanna-Barbera classics?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    The Flintstones was a top thirty ratings winner from 1960 to 1963, and it came to no one's surprise that ABC wanted Hanna-Barbera to fashion another series following a similar theme. According to Joseph Barbera, it "wasn't particularly brainy" to conclude that the new series would be futuristic. Of course, we all know the show evolved into The Jetsons.

The Jetsons premiered on TV in September 1962. Set in 2062, it followed average futuristic Jetson family. Most episodes followed a similar Flintstone-structure, but with a futuristic twist to reality. The Jetson clan didn't click with audiences as the Flintstone family had, so by the spring of 1963, ABC canceled The Jetsons after a single season. Its eventual popularity in syndication, however, led to Worldvision Enterprises to finance another 51 episodes for first-run syndication from 1985 to 1987. The new episodes brought the series to a newer audience, and aided in its legacy.

What's your thoughts on the Jetsons?
    upload_2018-4-27_12-12-49.png

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NickLundy0911

NickLundy0911 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I love Hanna Barbera shows to death. Do it's great that there is finally a topic to discuss. I enjoy both The Jetsons and The Flintstones sure they both had the same format but I liked that they gave us a different perspective of modern inventions and family life. They were simple but well constructed shows rewatching them (Top Cat and Jonny Quest included) is like rewatching Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie. Maybe it's that '60s vibe I enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Yes, I enjoy The Flintstones and The Jetsons, but I generally prefer the former. There's more episodes, and more spin-offs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    I've never seen The Jetsons but I always watched The Flintstones. My favourites were Wilma and Betty (and their hilarious household objects).
    They've also done a Snow White episode, I don't think it was part of the series? Were they any more spin-off movies/episodes?

• Like Like x 2
  6. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    The Flintstones has had many spin-off movies, TV shows, and specials since its original run concluded more than fifty years ago. Actually which ones there have been, I couldn't say for sure. I have yet to see them all.

One I do remember fondly, however, is the one where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm wed and give birth to baby girl... I think it was a girl?

I just found the YouTube.... She had twins, a boy and a girl!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I've been thinking about the two live-action Flintstones movies there have been.

The first one, simply called The Flintstones (1994), received poor reviews, but was a popular box office success, grossing more than $341 million. Most critics were fond of John Goodman's portrayal of Fred Flintstone, its costumes, and visual effects, while there were generally more complaints than compliments. There were concerns that the overall story contained too many "adult" situations for the film to be considered solely "family" entertainment; Rosie O'Donnell's casting as Betty Rubble; and the alleged "stunt-casting" of Elizabeth Taylor as Wilma's mother, Pearl Slaghoople. Evidently, the performances by Rick Moranis and Elizabeth Perkins as Barney Rubble and Wilma Flintstone, respectively, were serviceable enough for the critics not to deem them unworthy.

The humor of The Flintstones film never fails to make me giggle, even after multiple viewings. Is it fine art? Of course, not. I was never expecting it to be, either. John Goodman was perfectly cast as Fred, as if the part had been invented for him. Everyone else served their purpose, I guess, although I wasn't particularly impressed by Rosie O'Donnell as Betty. (She did have Betty's giggle down pat, but beyond that... Meh.) Seeing Elizabeth Taylor, even in a parody, campy-type role, is certainly a treat for this viewer's eyes. She didn't disappoint. Although Halle Berry is stunning, it would have been nice to see what Sharon Stone would have been like as "Miss Sharon Stone". Maybe they could have brought in some kind of irony? I don't know... The overall story seems a little typical or predictable of a series-made-feature film idea, but it works well. Overall, I liked the movie a good bit.

As for the second movie, a prequel called The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas (2000), the reviews were again weak and, this time around, it was a financial flop. It grossed $59.5 million against a $83 million budget. All of the main cast was replaced by, what I see in my mind, "second best" to those cast prior. This especially goes to the choices of Mark Addy as Fred and Joan Collins as Pearl this go around, both of which seem to be cheaper alternatives to John Goodman and Elizabeth Taylor, respectively. (Pardon the comparison or wording, that's the best way I know how to explain it.) The story is considerably weaker than the original, but there are things that I probably prefer better about this prequel over the original. This relies primarily with the casting this time; I believe I may prefer Stephen Baldwin to Rick Moranis (in this role, that is), and I know that I see Jane Krakowski as better-suited that Rosie O'Donnell was. Mark Addy, as I said, seems very much like a "filler" for Goodman who probably was not interested, and while I adore Joan Collins, she was (probably) only called because Taylor wasn't physically able... or mentally interested. One thing I do like of Collins' portrayal, however, is the over-the-top look that she brings to the character. Love that.

Which movie do you prefer, if either?
    upload_2018-4-28_7-45-21.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    I never watch these animations-turn-live-action-movies for the stories. Just like 101 Dalmatians and Tim Burton's Batman I solely watch it for the visual effects.
    Well, and the characters too of course. When I compare the pictures above, the first thing I notice is that the actors from the sequel look too modern, there's nothing "sixties" about them. And they also look too sexy, the kind of google images you'd expect from a search for Flintstones costumes.
    Then again, people are sexier than cartoons, or at least I hope so! haha.

Joan Collins was fabulous, that black & red furcoat was to die for, but it's Alexis all over again. Liz Taylor was more convincing as Wilma's mother (imho).
    I would have loved to see JC in a different role, maybe as Pearl's long-life nemesis:D
    I think the name Sharon Stone was the joke, it probably wouldn't work if she had been played by the real Sharon Stone.

I was always disappointed when they showed Top Cat, I never liked that series.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Your analysis of the different "look" of the cast photos above are precise. The cast from the prequel look more generic, while those from the original seem more sincere, and actually chosen for their "ability". That's if that makes any sense at all... Those guys from the prequel cast do look like they have been robbed from a costume party store's website promoting their new Flintstone outfits for the Halloween season.

Yes, Joan's turn her is basically Alexis, but prehistorically. But, come to think of it, all of her work post-Alexis (and during) was Alexis, but with something of a twist. Taylor certainly fitted the role better I think, but she might have been out of place in the prequel, which was more bizarre to say the least, so maybe that's why Joan was brought in. Who knows? Of course, had the real life Sharon Stone have played the fictional character, I don't think it would have worked as well. Halle Berry did well, and I wouldn't change that.

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    Interesting. Maybe the fact that they decided to overdo it is what made it a flop? Maybe the audience could no longer relate to this OTT Flintstones universe?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Perhaps, their intention was to make it flashier, more over-the-top than the original had been, and in doing so, they ended up making it a weaker and less-appreciated film overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    The Flintstones and The Jetsons were essentially the same show just set in a different era. The jokes were even similar, for example whereas The Flintstones would have gadgets which were dinosaurs performing a certain function, The Jetsons would have a similar gadget only it was performed by a futuristic robot.

For some reason The Jetsons was unable to achieve the popularity of The Flintstones and here in the UK The Flintstones was repeated on TV regularly when I was a boy but as far as I could remember The Jetsons was only broadcast once.

I remember there was crossover edition in which The Flintstones met The Jetsons but I don't recall anything further about the plot.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    But "modern life" in the Stone Age already is a bizarre concept. It was the strength and the core of the show, why go beyond that?
    It's not that I totally dislike Viva Rock Vegas, not at all, but it didn't have the "feel" of the original animated show.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    I absolutely loved Top Cat, probably my favourite of all the Hanna-Barbera cartoon (although Wacky Races and The Perils of Penelope Pitstop came close seconds). I'm sure it was a animated rip off of The Phil Silvers Show: Top Cat was Bilko (similar voices), Officer Dibble was Colonel Hall and Benny The Ball was Doberman (again similar voices) and the interplay between the characters was so similar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I agree. The original sentimental aspect of the sixties show was lost for the live-action movies, especially when they went Viva Rock Vegas. The original film, while not quite capturing the spirit of the series, established its own foundation and services as a stand-alone film as if there was no shoes of a classic TV series to fill.
    You are correct, the jokes on both shows are quite similar. They each played on the situation of how things were/will be done in the past and/or future. I believe The Flintstones succeeded in its first-run and through many spin-offs for a number reasons. 1) It was first. The first try outs of shows of this nature generally are the biggest favorites. 2) People like seeing how things "use to be", even fictionally. We don't necessarily care what the "future" holds, but like to see how people "use" to survive. 3) The Flintstones was the better show. Overall, it was better written and better presented.

These are my thoughts anyhow...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,107
    I was never a fan of the Flintstones
    but i did love other Hanna Barbera shows

top of the list being Scooby Doo - But and its a big BUT - it has to be without the very annoying Scrappy Doo who totally spoiled it for me

I also loved
    Josie and the Pussycats and none of my friends can remember it and tell me I made it up! i didnt and i even taped the theme tune onto cassette tape from the TV

Wacky races, dastardly and Mutley, Banana Splits, Penelope Pitstop, Hong Kong Phooey, Hair Bear bunch and Top cat

I have memories of getting my homework done asap so i could watch these and all in the days before VCR!

• Like Like x 2
  17. JR's Son

JR's Son Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Yep,
    Flintstones, Wacky Races, Top Cat and the Jetsons here :popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    :ig:

upload_2018-4-28_23-21-52.png

And in a live-action version made in the 80´s, Penelope should have been played by Victoria Principal (or Jaclyn Smith!). But as a brunette, no blond wigs, thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,875
    I had no idea they had also produced The Smurfs!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  20. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I'm no fan of Scrappy, either! Most fans of the series are not on his side at all.

• Agree Agree x 2