SoapLand - The Battle Of The Foreigners - The Result

Discussion in 'SoapLand - The Battles' started by Willie Oleson, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    In this case, the foreigner is a non-American. That could be an illegal, a visitor, or a person in another country visisted by an American soap character.
    Race and origin are irrelevant.

upload_2019-2-8_3-20-35.png

Did you find them interesting or not? And who was the soapiest or most extraordinary foreigner?:cool1

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,377
    Medals:
    1. Francesca Gioberti (from Italy) - FALCON CREST - In first spot by a mile, mainly for giving us one of the most entertaining moments in the history of soap, the tarantella dance, but also for mixing things up so well and changing the dynamics of power at Falcon Crest.

[​IMG]

2. Julia (from Haiti) - FLAMINGO ROAD - Voodoo high priestess who came to Truro to help Michael Tyrone and inadvertently turn Flamingo Road into Dark Shadows. Michael Tyrone even started wearing a cravat at the start of his transition into Quentin Collins.

[​IMG]

3. Renaldo Marchetta (from Europe, not sure exactly where) - DALLAS - in my top ten for how he pronounced "Jenna" and "Charlotte" but mainly for almost ridding us of Prissy Presley's ghastly version of Jenna Wade.

[​IMG]

4. Peter Stavros (from Europe, assumed to be Greece) - FALCON CREST - Had such great chemistry with Angela Channing and was her conscience at times but was every bit as ruthless and cunning when required. One of my favourite characters in Falcon Crest.

[​IMG]

5. The Alien (from an unknown planet) - THE COLBYS - For being the focus of one of the most brilliantly bizarre, baffling and bonkers scene in any prime time soap opera.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,718
    Medals:
    1) Peter Stavros (from Greece): Angela's old flame and knight in shining armour the mega rich debonair Mr. Stavros was introduced to prevent the Rossini family from turning FC into a resort, when he bought them out - FALCON CREST.

2) Angelica Nero (from Greece): As exotic as she was dangerous the newcomer played cat-and-mouse with J.R. and his cousin Jack, in the infamous dream season - DALLAS.

3) Francesca Gioberti (from Italy): Jasper Gioberti's love child who Angela didn't know existed. When Francesca's vineyard in Italy got diseased she arrived in America to claim a business share and eventually sell it to someone Angela despised - FALCON CREST.

4) Rashid Ahmed (from the Middle East): He was once a lover of Alexis and entered her life again when she was competing with Blake, for the South China Sea Oil leases. Rashid became involved in a deception, which eventually resulted in him getting shot by Turkish police - DYNASTY.

5) Laurel Ellis (from England): Laurel was the good looking artist who Clayton enjoyed visiting - DALLAS.

Angelica Nero meets J.R. in his Ewing Oil office. Unknown to him she sets a ticking bomb concealed in a briefcase, on his desk. J.R. believes the contents are business papers. He trys to get a murder confession, out of Angelica, (a scene from season 8; 'The Dream Year', DVD - 9, 1985 - '86):

J.R. calls Dectective Harry McSween and his boys, on the intercom: "Well, boys if that isn't enough I don't know what is."

Angelica: "What are you doing?"

J.R.: "Well, I asked some friends of mine to come in to listen to this. Just in case."

Harry McSween restrains Ms. Nero, she says: "Call them off!"

J.R.: "Well he's just doing his duty. I can't interfere."

Angelica: "Call them off if you don't want to die!"

J.R. to Harry: "You get all you needed?"

Detective Harry McSween: "We've got plenty."

Angelica to J.R.: "You fool! You're as good as dead and so is Jack, if he isn't dead already."

J.R.: "Get her out of here!"

Angelica: "I just want you to know, it's too late! It's too late, J.R.! IT'S TOO LATE!"

J.R.: "Too late? My god......Jack!"

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    Medals:
    1 - The Alien - The Colbys (from outer space): you don't get much more foreign than being from another planet, do you?

2 - Alexis Colby - Dynasty (from England via the beaches of Kauai): the epitome of the "cat among the pigeons" character, Alexis shook up the often stuffy Carrington world with her jet setting Euro glam and British bite.

3 - Sable Colby - The Colbys (from England): where her cousin brought outrage, Sable brought sophistication. She was alone in being the sole "foreigner" amidst the all American Colby clan. Even her British sister was an adopted American. It's no wonder she gravitated towards the other foreigner on the scene, Zack Powers.

4 - Maya Kumara - The Colbys (based in Singapore but from unspecified country): a short but memorable cameo from the chic queen of Studio 54 who played the widow of a dictator who inadvertently became a player in the Hoyt Parker mystery.

[​IMG]

5 - Nicole Sauget - Falcon Crest (from France): she was mysterious, she was glamorous, she even had her own theme. Her intro scenes when she heard about Chase's death over the radio and subsequently threw his ring in the river, were a great way to get viewers asking "Who is this woman?".

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    Aah...but did these characters strike you as being non-US citizens?

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    Never mind.
    Even Fallon called her mother "that grand English lady", and it was her immoral euroglam that made her such a fabulous character.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,865
    Medals:
    I was also planning to include Alexis and Sable as you did say 'non-American' in your intro. Can you clarify, is it non-Americans or just not US citizens?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    My idea was characters who were written as foreigners, rather than how it relates to their backgrounds.
    In many cases it places that character outside the American group.

Technically, Amanda Carrington was a foreigner since she was born and raised in England and had never lived in America. But I never got the impression that she was supposed to be a foreigner who would eventually return to her homeland.
    And then it becomes a litte too complicated and I don't want to cancel another battleo_O
    :lol:

So, you can list any character you find quintessential foreign.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    Medals:
    I did wonder about including them given that Alexis had previously spent time in Denver and Sable had been in California for so many years. However, as you said, it was Alexis' Euro glam that made her so spectacular. Alexis was international. And with Sable, in her season one battles with Connie, I got the impression that she was always considered a blow in. She brought a British class to the somewhat rough edged but wealthy Colbys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    1. Angelica Nero - DALLAS
    [​IMG]
    SoapLand's most fabulous foreign peacock, and she also happens to be a villainess with an impostor scheme in mind.
    The story dragged on a bit which made it less effective, but that doesn't change the fact that I really enjoyed her presence on screen.

2. Peter De Vilbis - DYNASTY
    [​IMG]
    Well of course I was going to include good old Peewee, the dirty foreigner who showed so much contempt for both the Carringtons and their tv show.
    He still gets the fans fuming.

3. Lucia Treviño - DALLAS
    [​IMG]
    I thought I was going to vote for Nicolas, but I'm always intrigued by "the wife of".

4. Nikolai Rostov - THE COLBYS
    upload_2019-2-10_1-52-37.png
    The Russian sex on dancing legs gave the young Colby princess something to think about, which is always a good thing.
    But he had his best scenes with his sister Anna (who was actually more convincing as a Russian).

5. Henri Denault - FALCON CREST
    upload_2019-2-10_1-56-54.png
    Richard Channing's despicable adoptive father lives in New York but considering what the man Denault stands for it's hard not to think of him as a foreigner.
    There were weaker copies in the later seasons, but Henri was the first, and pure evil.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    for·eign·er
    Dictionary result for foreigner
    /ˈfôrənər/
    noun
    1. a person born in or coming from a country other than one's own.
      • INFORMAL
        a person not belonging to a particular place or group; a stranger or outsider.
    You know I am going with the latter one, and sticking to the first as much as I can.

In no particular order:

1) Zachary Powers, The Colbys. Unlike the adorable baking alien, I found Zachary spooky. His accent was from who knows where, his first name meant sugar which was a ridiculous name for a tycoon, and I did not understand what his hair was morphing into.

2) Jacqueline Perrault, Falcon Crest. I meant I could just say French and rest my case, but she kept marrying and then becoming a widow of one foreign rich man after another, and I could not understand why she wore series of pearls over white dresses.

3) Fake Miss Ellie, Dallas. I know I could have gone with Angelica Nero and her hats, but while we are on the subject on pearls, I did not think that Donna Reed's Miss Ellie was a Ewing, or a Texan, or from the show's era. So are body snatchers American? I say no.

4) Fallon Carrington, The Colbys. Speaking of body snatchers... After she disappeared from Dynasty, she returned with a British accent and a lobotomy in California. Also, two sizes bigger, so her absence was probably the result of a failed stay at a fat farm.

5) Dr. Jobinet, Dynasty: The Reunion. It's not that he used a fan to hypnotize Krystle that won me over, as much as that he was able to brain-wash a character who had been brain dead for many years. That is some strong Swiss detergent.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Falcon Crest I

Falcon Crest I Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Medals:
    1. Angelica Nero - Dallas
    2. Amanda Carrington - Dynasty
    3. Francesca Gioberti - Falcon Crest
    4. Nicole Sauguet - Falcon Crest
    5. Zach Powers - The Colbys

• Like Like x 4
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    I think she looked like a Miss Ellie but not the Miss Ellie.
    She's one of your favourites?
    Zach Powers looked like an old Las Vegas act. What was Sable thinking?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,632
    Medals:
    1. Nick Schillace, Knots Landing--flying in the face of sinister, foreign troublemakers, (You can call me) Nick was a fun and funny troublemaker--but just the kind of man Anne Matheson needed in her life. Those two were comedy gold. His towel-drop in front of prim-and-proper Karen was also a highlight. She didn't seem too upset.

2. Francesca Gioberti, Falcon Crest--she was so much fun in her brief visit. This was a celebrity stunt-casting that worked excellently.

3. Nikolai Rostov, The Colbys--the accent was dodgy, but that butt in those tights....glasnost, indeed.

4. Peter Stavros, Falcon Crest--the perfect guy for Angela, who--let's face it--was not the most perfect person.

5. Carlos, Knots Landing--Greg's trusted and discreet butler deserves a shout-out because he knew when to offer an opinion and when to keep his mouth shut about the revolving door of women in and out of Greg's ranch in the later seasons. But I'm torn, because Greg was more a 'foreigner' in Knots Landing in the broader sense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,225
    Medals:
    We can battle this too.
    This is also on the list...

16. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,559
    For exotic foreign
    1. Sheik Ahmal - RTE
    2. Naldo Matchetta - so bad he was great. Absolutely agree, loved the way he pronounced Jenna and Charlotte and the way he annoyed them so
    3. Angelica Nero who dressed like a penguin crossed with a nun with a splash of gorilla for fun
    4. Princess Teletha RTE
    5. Raschid Ahmid

Obviously Alexis, Amanda #1 and Sable would be right up there for me if less exotic foreigners are eligible. Their Brit accents are stunning and all vital characters for their shows

But characters with mystic and Middle Eastern/ European accents are who I went for this round

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,646
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    My choices:

1- Angelica Nero - Dallas. The lady who came (probably) from Lesbos...She actually belongs to Pam´s psyche because Angie only lived within the infamous dream. I guess she had just watched the movie "Never Say Never Again" starring Barbara Carrera...

upload_2019-2-10_22-41-32.jpeg
    2- Anna Cellini - Falcon Crest. Glamorous Anna came from Italy but the actress came from my hometown Barcelona, so here she is at Number 2! The only bright spot in the dark times that were Season 8...In only a few episodes, poor Anna went from one soap cliché to another until she wound up like an Italian vegetable...

[​IMG]
    3- Nicole Sauguet, Falcon Crest. Her first scene was one of the most stylized in the history of Soapland. She seemed to be the crème de la crème of the FC stars, but she ended being a caricature of Dienasty's Alexis (as if...). Even so, her accent and funny gestures were really something!

upload_2019-2-10_22-56-38.jpeg
    4- Marta del Sol aka Verónica Martínez, TNT Dallas. She was the first official megab¡tch of the new era of the Ewings, and was a worthy successor of this list´s top winner. Luckily for the actress, she didn´t have to endure the crappiness of the last season...Oh and this character obviously inspired the shameful mess that is Celia/Cristal/Whoever in the WC Dienasty...

upload_2019-2-10_22-59-43.jpeg
    5- Sister Marie Thérèse, Falcon Crest. She played a big part in the show´s history because thanks to this sweet little French nun, we (and Angela) found out that Jacqueline Perrault...was a man! was wearing a wig! was wearing false jewelry! No, actually, she was a nazi!!!

upload_2019-2-10_23-6-21.png

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    I wouldn't call her a favourite, but certainly one of the most memorable. Her case is even more bizarre when we consider that she actually stopped being a foreigner in all areas I mentioned earlier once she moved back to Dynasty.

19. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,865
    Medals:
    Poor Stephanie Beacham, Constantly being mauled by creepy old men and having to act like they're irresistible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,789
    Medals:
    The description was:
    How is a person who has lived in USA and/or married an American a "non-American"? How long must one have lived in America to be qualified to be an American instead of an illegal alien or a visitor?

A few of the characters listed in this thread are characters that I wouldn't call illegals or visitors. Therefore, I will skip voting. I don't know where to draw the line.

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1