The Future of Soaps: 2020s-onwards

Discussion in 'UK Soaps Forum' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    Where do you see soaps in the upcoming decade and beyond?

For me I can see Emmerdale becoming Britian's number one soap usurping Corrie and EE off the top spot for a long time to come and they're both in weird modes at the moment, more so EE which seems either too caught up in the past (mainly the 00s) or just lost in the present.

Hollyoaks can carry on what it does best as far as I'm concerned, its a true underdog, yet it keeps moving forward and not too focused on some "Glory Era" even though the 2000-2007 era of the the show really was the best in my opinion

Someone posted about Brookside returning, I don't think it ever will, even as a "soap bubble" focusing on certain characters, it ended fifteen years ago and it was starting to become dated even back then, I dong think it has a place in the 2020s

As for Eastenders, it needs to get back to basics, not too boring and not too OTT, stop repeating storylines (ie The Mitchell sisters dying in the Xmas period, a year later the Branning sisters face certain death, with one dying this time, which set of sisters next? The Fox sisters? The Carter sisters??) and put to rest the Hardman story for a while.

2. Walford Boy

Walford Boy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    As much as ED is superior to CS and EE, ED is often the 2nd soap now overtaking EE but it will have to go some in the ratings to overtake CS. I hope it does, it certainly deserves to be the nations top soap without a doubt and that hurts saying that being a poor EE fan. Out of the big 3, EE will be the first to go. But i can see out of all the soaps H&A, Neighbours and Hollyoaks being the first casualties, but this is some way off.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    Interesting how you think EE will be the first to go, I must say the storylines have been way off forbs while, I think EE could survive if it had a drastic revamp and be brave about it, add some new blood in it.

The thing I find with Corrie and EE is that they rely on their past too much, Emmerdale on the other hand looks to the future, it has no characters that date back to 1972, Robert and Eric are the only characters that originate from the 1980s, both 1986, the majority of todays characters date back to 1994/95, as a result it doesn't rely on its past too much.

4. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    The only reason Emmerdale does not use its rich history is because itv want you to forget the farm years, forget anything pre 1994. This was so obvious to see when they celebrated 40 years. A shame really.

It is as if Emmerdale Farm and Emmerdale are to different shows in itv's eyes.

CS and EE do not have the same issues.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. emm1978

emm1978 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Emmerdale Farm was renamed just Emmerdale in November 1989 though. Just over 4 years before the plane crash supposedly revamped the show.

For me, the more significant turning point was the arrival of the power mad Tates in November 1989.

Now we have Joe Tate proving he is from the same breed.

6. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I personally don't see any soap as a separate show to what it was in the 80s or whatever. It's merely the same show set in a different era with different characters, etc.

7. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    Viewers may think that but itv don't.

8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    I don't watch Emmerdale, have never been into it for some reason. Corrie is my favourite UK soap and it would be strange to think of TV without it - but there is bound to come a day when it will end, or fade into the background once the original cast are gone. EastEnders I think should have been sacked a long long time ago. It is the single most depressing thing on TV, can't bear it.

9. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    CS has long passed being a cosy comfy pair of slippers, on the misery barometer imo CS has overtaken both ED and EE and is in top spot. I have never bought into this mullarkey that EE is depressing and all doom and gloom.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  10. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Fair enough but I don't see how you can't. Nothing happy ever happens in it! I don't agree that CS has that, but I guess that's why we are all entitled to our own opinions :)

11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,506
    I only followed 2 soaps - Dallas and Corrie
    I was usually doing other things in the 80s at night so not around to view and always considered Emmerdale farm and old persons soap (my Nan loved it back in the days of Annie Sugden, and I had to dip in and out of Crossroads) and have never seen it. it seems to be the fav soap at work with colleagues now.
    We never got C4 when it first came out (no reception so Brookside passed me by, although my best friend in the 80s loved it) and thought 1 epiosde of EE wasnt for me
    I think that Dallas dominated my life for so long i was scared to get too attached to another as it can be a costly business!

Corrie for me has gone off the boil and lost its charm and way so i am taking a 3 month sabbatical (good word huh) and i will revisit once the Phelan (who is great)story is over as its just so unrealistic now and some of the cast (as mentioned in Corrie posts) cant act for toffee. I will return tho as I enjoy Rita, Norris, Carla, Roy, Tim and Sally.

I still read Corrie posts and if anyone says something +ve i may watch it on ITV player / catch up with a particular episode

12. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I find posters who say EE is all doom and gloom tend to be viewers who dip into the show from time to time and are not regular viewers.

What is CS next big storyline, it involves David Platt and is something quite harrowing.

I agree we all have our own viewes and that is what this forum is all about.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    I don't think ITV ignores Emmerdale's first two decades, its just that there are barley any characters originating from the 1970s and 1980s, most of the longer serving characters are from 1994 onwards, on Robert & Eric are from the 1980s Farm era, and pre plane crash, Corrie, EE and Oaks all have at least one character originating from their first episodes from 1960, 1985 & 1995 respectively, Emmerdale has none from 1972, if Joe Sugden or Matt Skilbeck were still around I'm sure there would be more nods to that era.

14. emm1978

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well I always check my facts before posting. Also, unlike some I've found, I don't jump the gun by accusing scriptwriters or producers of forgetting things, etc. I simply keep on watching the programme and wait.

No soap is all doom and gloom, it's just that nowadays big storylines are so heavily publicised, some viewers get drawn towards the big drama and don't notice the gentler scenes in between.

15. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    :clap:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  16. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    I know I'm going against popular opinion but my favourite era of EastEnders is 2001-2006, partiality because these were the years when the Mitchell family weren't so dominate in the series, Phil and Peggy were gone for most of 2003 & 2004, only returning in late 2005, The Watts, Beale and Fowler families were centre stage again along with the Slaters, it was probably an era that was similar to the 1985-1989 era.

I think too much emphasis has been made on The Mitchell and Branning families in recent years, its been saturated, EastEnders needs to be brave and bring in some new blood and reflect the real life changes in East London.

17. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think Family Affairs should be brought back to replace the void left by Emmerdale if and when Emmerdale gets axed. Emmerdale is too far away from its 1970s roots, they've no links to that era whatsoever.

EastEnders ought to be axed as it was only launched to rival Coronation street, where EastEnders is a load of depressing rubbish no matter how hard it tries against Coronation street, the BBC have allowed EastEnders to go on air without a clue, when Family Affairs in London's West End, had more potential. Hollyoaks ought to be axed too and and in replacement of Hollyoaks, the effort from Lime Pictures going towards the Brookside spin-off catch up(s) in a series as mentioned on another thread.

Family Affairs was the Coronation street of the south. The only mistake Coronation street made was going from 2 nights a week to 3 nights a week in 1989 or 1990, which caused todays situation with ratings wars as the other soaps followed suit shortly afterwards. Having said that, Coronation street has had a good kick up the backside since Les and Cilla were axed. Unforunately Brian Park was allowed near both Coronation street and Family Affairs though.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  18. Walford Boy

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    I agree re Brian Park. A dreadful prodcuer and did damage to both Family Affairs and Coronation St.

19. soapfan

soapfan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yes, Johnathan Young was dreadful too, because he ultimately put Family Affairs in the knackers yard altogether and coincidentally was the final producer of The Bill as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,376
    If any soap is the first to go then I think it will be EastEnders, everytime I watch the show I feel like its really lost its way, the characters seem stale and the newer characters just don't seem to excite me.

I honestly think the axing of Ronnie and Roxy has left a permanent damage in the show, especially how they left as well, EastEnders needs to have a massive revamp and relaunch in the next few years,
    The storylines are dull and Aiden Maguire played by Hollywood legend Patrick Bergin, seemed to be like a blink and you've missed him storyline, the continued reliance on the remaining Mitchell family is now laughable, Ronnie and Roxy being around gave the family a future at least.

If I were in charge I would axe Phil Mitchell, but in a storyline worthy of Steve McFadden's talent, turn Sharon Mitchell back into Sharon Watts, the woman who was proud to have Den and Angie as her parents, introduce more Beale's and Fowler's and strengthen that clan, I would give the Queen Vic a massive makeover, and bring in new landlords/lady, upgrade Walford, its an area in London's Zone 2/3, the heart of hipster East End.

Things that EE are doing right at the moment is the reintroduction of the Slater clan and Mel Owen, characters that date back to the early 2000s when the show was exciting to watch.