The Golden Girls

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Sarah, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    Love this sitcom to this day and have all the seasons on DVD. Dorothy is my favourite and her partnership with Sophia is hilarious. Any one else a fan?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,481
    It was a great ensemble (Sophia being the weakest link imo) but I'm afraid I've watched it too many times.
    Never liked the sappy melodramatic storylines, that's not why I watch a comedy.

In essence, the three characters were there to annoy Dorothy, and those were usually the best scenes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    You think Sophia was the weakest??? WHY??? :eek:

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,481
    Because she wasn't very funny.

6. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    Oh my! I found her absolutely hilarious!

• Like Like x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,789
    This is one of the shows I inevitably grew up on as it was forever in reruns. It just doesn't make me laugh, but evokes good memories of me and my grandma watching it.

In paradox, Sex and the City evokes really bad memories for me because my grandma also watched that and called them "the funny ladies". I can't get over accidentally being forced to watch an entire episode with her, cringing all the way through.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    Love some Golden Girls. There's something very comforting and safe about it. A great ensemble and some fantastic guest stars too.

Which of the four I find funniest has changed greatly over the decades and multiple viewings. Back when it first aired, young Mel loved Sophia, closely followed by Rose. Then it shifted to Dorothy. In recent viewings I've finally appreciated how funny Blanche is and now it's between Blanche and Dorothy for the ones that most consistently make me laugh.

[​IMG]

While I enjoy all four leads I haven't enjoyed Sophia as much in recent years, so I know what Willie is saying. I enjoy her best in episodes where she has a smaller role with just the occasional one liner. And Betty White's cult status/overexposure has put me off Rose a bit.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Keep in mind that when Susan Harris developed the pilot, Sophia was not supposed to be as prominent as she ultimately became. The show was supposed to be about the relationship between the three leads (Rose, Dorothy, Blanche), with Sophia dropping by occasionally to punctuate a scene with a crazy line or two. Getty often said in interviews that she felt like she didn't belong there at first because her career was mostly dramatic stage work, not sitcoms...while obviously sitcoms were the specialty of the three other ladies.

When the ladies were submitted for Emmys (every year), Estelle Getty was always placed in the Supporting Actress category, while the other three were considered Leading Actress material. This puzzled many viewers, since she was often given storylines on par with the others. I think the writers just could not help themselves when they included her on more or less equal footing with the other three in the scripts because she was the one who could say the most outrageous lines.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,481
    Me too. I didn't mean she shouldn't be there at all, just in small doses.

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,481
    "Blanche is a slut" always sounds effective. But only if Dorothy or Sophia said it, not Rose. Sometimes they did these character "surprises" (Rose can talk dirty too!) and it never worked for me. Just stick with gehugenflugen!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    Really interesting takes on it guys thanks!!! I love Dorothy, Sophia, Rose and Blanche in that order.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    There was a big months-long build up for GOLDEN GIRLS in the press in 1985 just as there was for LA LAW in 1986. So you knew their critically-acclaimed hit status was guaranteed, deserved or not, by the business and the press.

I liked the actresses -- Bea Arthur, Rue McClanahan and Betty White -- much better elsewhere. (I was unfamiliar with Getty and never found her amusing at all, always delivering her stale lines the same way). I found MAUDE five times as funny as GOLDEN GIRLS.

To me, GOLDEN GIRLS was very typically '80s, and very typically a Susan Harris sitcom: attempting to be bawdy, too stiff and self-conscious to really work, but highly revered by many when it ran.

Gay guys seemed to love it and laughed hysterically at every line; I just sat there stone-faced.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,770
    I've never seen Maude but would like to. Absolutely love Bea Arthur.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    In recent years there has been a term floating around the internet called "Flanderization". Golden Girls, enjoyable though it was, is a prime example of this tendency of Flanderization in a long-running sitcom.

The term comes from the neighbor on The Simpsons. Mr. Flanders was a genuinely nice guy who was seen occasionally, but over time his "niceness" became the entire character, and that niceness became exaggerated to make the character funnier--a one-note joke. People attached this term "Flanderization" of characters in long-running sitcoms to explain how certain shows become stale over time. Viewing the pilot of GG versus episodes in the final season, one can't help but notice the change. By the final season, Dorothy was the sarcastic one; Rose was the dumb one; Blanche was the slutty one; and Sophia was the unfiltered one. They could always be counted on to offer those traits in every scene. In the pilot, Rose was not particularly dumb, and Blanche didn't even have a Southern accent, much less sport that whole "Man-Hungry Southern Belle" persona. Dorothy's open disdain for everyone around her was not developed, though one might say she was more frustrated with life in general as opposed to those around her. Over time, Blanche's conquests became the stuff of legend. Rose became too stupid to live. Sophia became that stereotypical "mean old lady" that the paperboy kept referring to. :)

I think Bea Arthur recognized this "Flanderization" even if the tendency didn't have a name back then, and that was why she chose to leave the show while it was still a hit show (effectively ending the series).

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    It's been a long time, since I've seen "The Golden Girls". I have many fond memories of these charming ladies!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    I confess I can no longer correctly pronounce the name, "Dorothy" when I'm reading to myself. When I see the name written, I fall into Blanche's pronunciation of "Dahhh-thy". If saying it out loud, I have to remind myself to enunciate the "R" and all three syllables of her name.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,191
    Watching the news just now it occurred to me that some of Donald Trump's end of sentence lip pursing gave him an uncanny resemblance to Sophia.

I started looking online for pictures of Sophia to confirm this, but became completely sidetracked when I stumbled upon these appropriately kitschy candles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I shouldn't but I think they're magnificent.

That's made me smile. Believe it or not I too have had the urge to say "Dorothy" in a Southern accent every once in a while. But I think mine comes from this...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,675
    Things are kind of slow at work, so to pass the time I'm tempted to buy one of these Lego sets.

upload_2017-8-11_16-42-38.jpeg

All that's missing is the Herring Circus!

upload_2017-8-11_16-44-14.jpeg

When Stan shows up, I make sure to give both Dorothy and Sophia the chance to slam the door in his face.

[​IMG]

"Babe.....I got you babe..." (One of their best bits)

upload_2017-8-11_16-52-23.jpeg

This is what happens when you have too much plastic surgery.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I absolutely love The Golden Girls! It's one of my all time favorite TV shows! I watch it all the time. In fact, I'm watching the episode "From Here to the Pharmacy" as I type this.

In all reality, Sophia may have been used a little too much, especially when thinking of her initial purpose. She could have been listed in the credits for sure, but perhaps she could only did maybe 70 or 75 percent of the episodes per season. (They should have used Sophia a little more than the Thomasons used Bernice on Designing Women.)

I've never cared for their "special episodes," either. That's not why I want to watch my four Miami ladies. They're funny, so let's leave them to that. Some of the more "dramatic" ones I always bypass.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 2