The Golden Girls

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Sarah, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    So am I.

"Not...a clue!"

• Like Like x 1
  2. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    "Well.... Lover Boy!" :tv1::tv1:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    I liked GG. It was funny and an easy watch. I thought they were all good in their parts. Dorothy had some great lines of sarcastic quips. I enjoyed Rose too. Blanche was a hoot. Good memories of this show :) still good for a rewatch now and then

4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    I finally got around to reading "Golden Girls Forever," an unauthorized companion book that came out several years ago. It's got a lot of interviews with people who worked behind the scenes as well as the stars (or more likely, reprinted interviews with the stars from when they were still alive...), and gives a lot of details about the individual episodes. They made no effort to reconcile all the lousy continuity issues, though...because it would simply be impossible to explain them all beyond the fact that the producers would gladly overlook a previously-established plot point if it meant getting a really good joke in the current episode.

5. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    I absolutely love this show - it's likely my favourite programme after Dallas. I now have all the seasons on DVD. I was watching the last few episodes in the final season last night and I'm struggling with something.

My ultimate favourites are Sophia and Dorothy. Did anyone think it a bit strange how quickly Dorothy accepted that Sophia wasn't going to move to Atlanta with her and Lucas, and wasn't it a bit odd that the two women didn't have a huge final scene together, given everything they'd been through?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Now that it has been brought up, it certainly is odd. Dorothy and Sophia, despite all their quirks and sarcasm, genuinely loved one another and it was quite obvious. Their relationship was strong, and I can't understand why Dorothy didn't put up more of a fight insisting that her mother accompany her and Lucas to Atlanta. Of course, Blanche and Rose were more than happy to keep her, but it seems logical that Sophia would have wanted to go with Dorothy, too. There was one sequence where Sophia speaks to Dorothy about not wanting to be in the way with her second marriage like she was with the first. There could have been more done concerning the two ladies taking different directions in their lives, but overall I am happy with what we got.

In saying all of this, however, the writers wanted to make it as simple as possible (I'm sure) for Sophia to stay in Miami, setting up the premise for the ill-fated Golden Palace.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Who is everyone's favorite of our four Miami laugh-getters?

My favorite bouncing easily from Dorothy to Blanche, with me never completely deciding who I prefer more. Sometimes it's Dorothy. Sometimes it's Blanche. I certainly enjoy Sophia's one-liners, but in the episodes when she's stand alone, I could easily do without her more often than not. Rose, for some odd reason, has always been my least favorite of the quartet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Thanks for your brilliant response to my Dorothy and Sophia question above - couldn't have said it better.

Dorothy is my favourite, followed by Sophia. Blanche is my least favourite. I hated how nasty she could be to Dorothy at times and could never really understand why Dorothy put up with it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    You are certainly welcome. As I said above, I had never really given much thought to the way Dorothy/Sophia arc was resolved in the finale, but those were my sudden thoughts when I saw what you asked. The one thing that always puzzled me about the finale was how quickly Dorothy and Lucas fell in love. I personally would have liked it had their romance developed over the last season, but I guess we can't have everything.

I understand your thoughts on Blanche completely. She could be nasty to Dorothy, but I seriously doubt that there was anything real there. Blanche was vain and insecure, and that was her character. I'm quite like that in some aspects.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sarah

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    Bea Arthur was very attractive, but became more so throughout the run. I always wondered was it difficult for her to have those insults flung at Dorothy about her looks.

You're absolutely right about Blanche.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Yes, Beatrice Arthur actually looked younger as the series went on. The cracks about her looks were simply for their laugh value, although they most certainly were not all deserving.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,639
    My complete boxset arrived this week and so far I have watched the first 4 episodes. I'm really enjoying it. It's one of those things that takes you back to where you were when you were watching. I would have watched the show in reruns I think in the early 1990s in our old house. My mum worked nights then and I remember staying up a little later and watching The Golden Girls. There is a real nostalgia there for me. I'm gonna do a few more episodes tonight. With Cheesecake of course. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I have told myself many a time that I was going to watch the entire series from start to finish, but I have yet to do that. I have seen every episode, but never in their airing order.

14. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I'm sure us GG fans here have some episodes that we could watch over and over... And also those episodes would generally tend to skip. What's your list for your favorite and least favorite episodes?

15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    Bea Arthur did benefit from a facelift or two during the run of the show (as did Getty and probably McClanahan), but what helped her the most (in my opinion) was cutting down on the exaggerated clothing they put BA in, stuff that made her look taller/less shapely. Some of the stuff was positively clown-like. Later in the run, they let her wear things that flattered her figure and height (she was 5'10" or so, not some giraffe like the jokes made her out to be).

Around the midpoint in the series, Bea actually went to the writers and asked them not to make so many jokes about her (Dorothy)'s looks. It was genuinely hurting her feelings, and the writers agreed that they'd been going too far. In later episodes they even went so far as to write plot points where the "man of the week" only had eyes for Dorothy, and wrote stories that made Bea feel like Dorothy was on equal footing with the others in that regard. I don't think she should have been forced to ask--they should have recognized they were overdoing it. Going overboard with Blanche's slutty behavior or Rose's stupidity was different because it was a character trait, not a comment on RM or BW. Calling Dorothy ugly was also calling BA ugly, which is always going to hurt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I could tell that Rue McClanahan somewhere in the mix. Estelle Getty, well, under makeup I can't tell. Bea Arthur I could probably see that, too.

I hadn't heard the trivia you mentioned about Arthur's asking the writers to stop "bullying" her (more or less). I agree, however, that she shouldn't have had to ask---they should have been big-hearted enough to see it was hurting her feelings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    When someone presents themselves as tough or no-nonsense, people tend to lose sight of the fact that they're still human. In fact, the seemingly tough exterior might be a defense mechanism to keep from getting hurt.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Whom could have been brought in to keep the balance the same follow Arthur's departure at the end of year seven? I've heard several different people talk of bringing in Debbie Reynolds, who had already guest-starred on the show as Truby in year six. I would loved to have seen what they would have done with her (assuming she came back as Truby), but I fear her and Blanche would have been too similar in many ways to keep the four-peg balance the same as it was originally.

Also, I've heard a theory that Dena Dietrich could have came on permanently as Dorothy's sister Gloria, but I don't know how well that would have worked, either. Maybe something could have been worked out with Elaine Stritch and she could have been a suitable stand-in. (Maybe....)

Or maybe, just maybe, Rose, Blanche, and Sophia could have just stayed on as a trio? (But as the "girls", not under the "palace" banner.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    There's a funny youtube clip floating around (from one of her one-woman shows) of Elaine Stritch discussing the disastrous interview/audition she went to for the role of Dorothy when they were casting the show. Susan H had written "a Bea Arthur type" into the casting notes for the role, which wasn't as unfair to the other actresses as it sounds since no one thought at the time that Bea would ever do a sitcom again. Stritch had a very different idea of what they wanted to do with The Golden Girls, to say the least; she thought it would be a disaster and didn't give the part a second thought. At least she has the honesty to admit how she misjudged that one.

I think they could have gone on with three 'Girls', but they would have been more reliant on guest stars than they already were. At least they didn't go the predictable route and add a kid!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I have seen the clip of Elaine Stritch telling about how she lost out on the show during her one-woman Broadway revue.

Yes, I do believe it would have been successful still had it went down to a trio, and I also could see where more guest stars would have been used. Perhaps, however, without Arthur, the other three ladies could have gotten more focus into their personal lives, and maybe Sophia would have gotten some stand alones that I actually liked. You probably won't believe that I tossed around the idea of them perhaps bring in an 'younger' lady following Arthur's exit.