The Golden Girls

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Sarah, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    Medals:
    Maybe if the younger character was one of the girls' unseen (to that point) daughters? The consensus was that Blanche had four kids (two sons, two daughters), while Rose had an undetermined number. We met Blanche's Rebecca and heard about Janet and Matthew...I'm not sure if "Skippy" is canon or just a joke. Her inability to get along with Janet was a plot point in more than one episode. Rose referred to "all of her kids" so often (as a group) that I got the impression it's a higher number than Blanche's, though they were not utilized as much. We met Rose's daughter Kiersten, but she was a bitch (IMO) and I would not want to deal with her again. Sophia of course had Gloria, Dorothy, and Phil (RIP--"Rest in Peignor").

I was joking about them bringing in a "kid" like a child--a la Cousin Oliver on Brady Bunch or Seven on Married with Children. THAT would have been the death knell.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I know there seem to be some uncertainty surrounding Dorothy's children, too. It seems Michael and Kate were both too young to be the product of her high school pregnancy, but that was never completely addressed either way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I will forever love this series, it's perfectly done. I love all four characters so much, especially Blanche and Sophia.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Medals:
    It’s amazing isn’t it?? In the whole series there is only one episode I don’t like - when the girls try to help their neighbours marriage. They leave their own home and the whole episode is spent next door.

Blanche is actually my least favourite -I love Dorothy, Sophia, Rose then Blanche in that order. Apparently I’m most like Rose. Oh dear :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Are you referring to the "Empty Nest" episode? Not to be confused with the Richard Mulligan series, this episode featured Rita Moreno and Paul Dooley in a backdoor pilot for a spinoff. Moreno has said she had a horrible time filming it as the script was constantly being rewritten and she found it difficult to memorize all her lines; she said the other actresses were visibly upset with her.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    Medals:
    The only things from the Moreno/Dooley episode that actually made it into the Empty Nest spinoff were the kitchen set and David Leisure (but even then, his character got a different name and different character traits). Which is a good thing, of course, since the Moreno/Dooley episode was pretty bad. I absolutely adored Empty Nest the series.

The writers never seemed to put themselves out to assure proper continuity, that's for sure. WRT the Zbornak kids, they established Michael was 30 in an episode, and since D&S had been married 38 years when they divorced, Kate would have to have been the older child (the one that precipitated S&D getting married). But they never said that, as such--you just have to assume.

Blanche frequently mentions her childhood strife with sisters Charmaine and Virginia, but other than the two episodes in which he appeared, brother Clayton is never mentioned in her stories of her childhood.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +547
    Medals:
    Rose had Gunilla, Kirsten, Bridget, Charlie JR, and Adam. Blanche had Biff, Matthew, Doug, Skippy, Janet, and Rebecca.

8. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +547
    Medals:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Medals:
    Thanks for the info Grant. Yes that's the one. I read up on it and apparently it's the least popular episode of the show. Is this also the one where Sophia says that Ida was eaten by the Doberman??

10. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    Medals:
    I've watched these reruns so many times, you'd think there would be no way possible to notice something I'd not noticed before...but it happened.

Hollywood is filled with stories of how co-leads in series or films will argue and fight over even the tiniest appearance of one actor being 'favored' over another.
    The producers of GG always repeated the idea that BA, BW, and RM were on "equal footing" as far as salary, screen time, and all the usual 'star treatment' stuff you hear about. (Estelle Getty was regarded as "supporting," even though she was regarded by most fans as a co-lead.) And yet while I was watching the opening credits, I was struck by how much more of Bea Arthur we see in the sequence than we see of the other three ladies. The titles are likely familiar to you all: aerial shot of Miami, then quick clips from episodes interspersed with a single shot of each actress with their name superimposed. Bea Arthur is in every one of the clips from episodes, while Betty and Rue are in a lot of them (but not all). BA even gets an additional shot by herself that neither BW nor RM gets. I know it sounds petty, but entire film deals have fallen apart over smaller indications of 'preferential treatment'.
    Now I have to wonder if the original-run credits also gave Bea that additional screen time over Betty and Rue...and if they noticed. Hopefully, only the agents even cared about it.

11. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Yeah, that episode was my least favourite, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Ok, today I binge-watched the last of "The Golden Girls". It was a bit different from what I thought (I never went so far with this show, tbh) but I liked the ending. One of the things I will miss about it is how they made fun of things that, today, nobody would want (or be able) to joke about, despite the show´s quite obviously liberal orientation. This show was delightfully anti-PC!! See the scene from the series finale as a proof:

Other little remarks:

- They did indeed listen to the four actresses in this season because they showcased their versatility and talent better than previously. Especially Rue, who had quite long soliloquies adding depth to her often trivialized character. They did work hard to shake off her the "slut" label...

- The writers were quite ballsy to tackle serious issues without making it an issue-centric episode, unlike what happened in the two seasons before this one. I think it was bold from them to (sort of) make Alzheimer (or progressive senility, I don´t know if this name was used in the series) as a constant for people over 60. Too sad but this is part of our society now and everyone seems to understand it like that.

- The clip episodes were limited to one in this last season, thankfully, though they did one with "fake" flashbacks, which I thought was clever from them.

- The person who allowed Bea Arthur to choose her own clothes should have been put in jail. My sight aches especially after seeing what she wore in the last episode...

- I must google search on Marc Cherry´s real influence and power on GG. I think he did good to the show, and added drama when needed but not melodrama (unlike what he would later do with "Desperate Housewives", which I also adore). I´m sure he didn´t slap the butt of any of the main stars here...

- Probably, the best I can say about my complete re-watch is that I had underrated the show. It was on at a time where we (in Spain) still were hooked on the supersoaps with delay from US, and GG was fun if you turned out to be home when it was aired. But it wasn´t appointment TV at least for me. I´m glad I could watch the whole thing so many years afterward and be objective about it. I loved every minute except for the damn clip episodes and some continuity errors (how many kids has every girl? how old is Blanche, but really?).

Here´s a couple of specials if you want to take a look a the behind-the-scenes (the E! one will probably be a pile of crap, tbh):​

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    Medals:
    The costuming issues always intrigued me. On the one hand, Judy Evans (the Warbrobe Mistress, and longtime Costumer for several Witt-Thomas-Harris sitcoms) was supposedly designing the outfits the four ladies wore, but I've also heard that she took the ladies on shopping trips (ostensibly to buy clothes from upscale department stores). Maybe it was a combination of the two. Some of the more extreme things Bea Arthur wore (like the legendary awful wedding dress in the finale) had to have been done by Evans, because I can't imagine finding such a thing for sale in a store. In an earlier episode where she almost remarries Stan, she is seen in a lovely, appropriate dress, so it wasn't like Dorothy had terrible taste. BA wasn't unnaturally tall, so I think they placed her in the overly-long sweaters and deep-V sweaters to accentuate her height for comic effect.

Rue McClanahan stated that she liked the stuff Evans made for her so much that she would often buy the pieces from the production company after the season was over (which would explain why she would often show up to the Emmys in dresses she'd worn in episodes). The only time I would imagine Estelle Getty got to wear something hand-made would have been in the 1950s flashbacks, since the show dressed her down in modern times to hide how much younger she really was than "Sophia".

As for the 'fake flashback' episodes, those were typically done out of sequence. They would shoot a regular episode, then shoot one or two of the "flashbacks" while the studio was still set up and the audience was still around. They would then edit together those bits and pieces shot over several weeks to make a "complete" episode, giving everyone a week off. The "genuine" flashback episodes (AKA clip shows) are typically done closer to the end of a season when they're either running out of money or time.

With regards to Marc Cherry, you have to keep in mind that he was working his way up in Hollywood when he worked for GG. He was one of many producers and writers at the show. Most of the senior producers of the show had turned the production into a well-oiled machine, and they didn't really need some new person coming in trying to disrupt their 'machine'. So I imagine new-guy MC just tried to follow their lead, have a lot of fun, and waited for his turn at running a show of his own. It wasn't until he got his own show to run that he could cut loose (and slap butts?).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +547
    Medals:
    The episode with the pregnant neighbor girl was in Season 05.

15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    Medals:
    That was one of the times their attempt at issue-oriented episodes fell flat with me. The neighbor girl had never been seen, would never be seen again, and everything seemed to solve itself too easily. I also dislike that episode where the girls spend the night at the homeless shelter trying to take back a mistakenly-donated jacket with a lottery ticket in the pocket. Though typically very good at hitting the right notes, some episodes can get too preachy and self-indulgent. Luckily they were the exceptions and not a regular thing.

• Agree Agree x 1