1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Good Fight - The Good Wife Spinoff

Discussion in 'Notable TV' started by That Bowie Girl, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Jason73

Jason73 Admin EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    No, sorry--I should have said "only ten episodes so far." That's the first season. It's been renewed for a second season of 13 episodes. It'll be out some time in 2018.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,381
    Thanks for the consideration but I was referring to The Good Fight as starting soon. The Good Wife I'm up to date with. :)

It's a great title for the sequel, by the way. Ties back to the original but can completely stand on its own.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    Well I finally watched the first episode of TGF. Great intro theme, btw, but 10 episodes isn't enough! I want 100 episodes.
    I wonder why they hired Bernadette Peters, she can hardly move her lips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    I'm watching season 2 now, it's very good but I'm not sure how I feel about the media-heavy tone of the show. There's the risk of becoming dated and disconnected as soon as New Big Things are happening. Luca is pregnant and Diane has had a one night stand but she's afraid to tell Kurt.

5. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Where you are at now is about as far as I got with the show. I can't remember if I finished season 2. I don't think I ever did.

6. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I like The Good Fight and I'm looking forward to the new season but I came to the conclusion after Season 3 that it will probably never pack quite the same punch as The Good Wife did.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  7. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    I agree, it does feel like The Good Wife Extra Time and Diane could never replace Alicia. But it's still a sharp and witty show, and I don't know what's going to happen next but I think there's a romantic/political storyline between Lucca and Colin in development, maybe that could partially replace the Florrick-marriage backdrop.

The lovely Julianna explains why she decided not to guest star, and I think it's a perfect reason (sorry if it's already been posted)

I also miss the insensitive bastard David Lee and I had hoped that Liz Reddick would be the new "villain".

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan EXP: 15 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Season 3 removes it even further from The Good Wife in style and tone - characters talking to the camera, cartoon segments (no, I'm not joking). It's all very sharp and clever, but I do tend to miss the more soapy element. It actually now reminds me more of The Kings other show, BrainDead.

Yes, her reasons are fair but it is apparent from watching The Good Fight that the budget is limited.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    Hm. I see.
    To be honest I haven't noticed it (yet). Well at least there was nothing in these episodes that made me think it had to be bigger budget-y. But maybe it's the absence of certain storylines that would require a bigger budget?

10. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    That's a brilliant way of describing the difference in tone between the two shows.

I must have made it to the third season because I remember these.

As much as I love Good Fight I just didn't find the characters as compelling as I did with Good Wife. I think the main reason I stopped watching was that there just seems to be so much anger and disillusionment permeating the show's writing. They are reflecting how a lot of us feel about the current political climate in the US and lately most of what I want to watch is stuff that makes me forget about the current political climate. The Good Fight is exhausting because it taps into the emotions I am feeling all the time and want a break from.

Still, the writing and acting was smart and I'm going to go back and finish season three.

(My other tiny quibble with season three was that I really missed one character who left the show.)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    That makes perfect sense to me.
    To be honest I don't make much effort to keep up with politics and world issues (shame on me) and living in a faraway land makes it a little easier for me to ignore the Trump craze.
    Therefore, to be informed about the current situation (and how it affects Americans) via these characters still feels kinda new to me.

I think they had to make the decision to do it, or not do it at all.
    It better not be Colin!

Incidentally, apart from the emotions, how has the Trump presidency affected your life personally? Is he really that bad?

12. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I agree and I'm not complaining that they made the choice to go all in. I'm glad they did. It just makes it a little more challenging to view when you are looking for escapism. Challenging can be good though, which is why I will go back and finish the season and do season 4.

My lips are sealed. You'll know soon enough and then we will see if it was a character you cared about or not.

It hasn't really affected the quality of my life personally. I still live the same life I did prior to him, albeit with a bit more fear than before because of how he has emboldened bigots and homophobes. California is a a very liberal state, so that cushions me quite a bit. It's all emotional and psychological for me, watching the horrible things that are happening in the country.

I think so, yes.

13. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I think that's all perfectly normal for a lot of people, myself included. I am vaguely aware of political things going on in the world, like UK politics and Brexit, etc. but I don't really go out of my way to study it or keep track of it. Do you have political things in your country that worry you? Or do politics mostly operate in the background without much to discuss. Prior to this administration I wouldn't have said I worried too much about politics on a regular basis, regardless of what political party was in control.

14. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    Hmm, no, not really.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    That's good. I'm very glad for you.

Anyways, didn't mean to go off topic with political talk, although the show can easily lead discussions in that direction. This has all re-sparked my interest in the show and I'm going to do an episode or two tonight. Now I just need to figure out where I left off.

16. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    One more thing I like to say about TGF in Trump context: they mentioned that those who had voted for Trump had made the wrong choice, and Julius (the Trump voter) said that people should have the freedom to make the wrong choices. I liked that.

17. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Now I remember my biggest problem with season 3 -- I cannot stand the character of Roland Blum. I don't find him the least bit entertaining. He's grating and I feel the need to turn down the TV whenever he comes on. Please don't let him be around for season 4.

I loved the FLOTUS episode.

18. Jason73

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    CBS announced that season 4 will premiere on Thursday April 9.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,381
    It's fair enough reasoning but I'm not sure that was her call to make. If they wanted her and had a story ready to go, it's their lookout whether or not she would have overshadowed the other cast members. Also a bit not-humble on her part.

20. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,134
    Just finished season 2. The last episode looked like something really big was going to happen but then it just ended with a funny trick?
    Without a focal point (e.g. Alicia's conflict and Peter's campaign, even if it mostly happens in the background) the series lacks a certain flow.
    Season 2 ends with Diane's vow that she's going to fight back, but she's said that before so it feels as if the show keeps rebooting itself.

I'd like to see more of the conniving Ruth Eastman and the Democratic Party but she's not connected with the firm or any of the main characters.
    The Good Fight does political stuff and it looks very convincing (to me) but it never becomes substantial enough. Maybe that's the problem when you mix fiction with reality.